+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 176
  1. #1
    Ranger
    2600klub

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    11,263
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries
    12

    FUUUUUU BECAUSE SOME OF YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN: A refresher on spoilers and the bannings that will occur

    Lets be clear here, we have spoiler tags for a reason, the community requested them years ago and we put them in there at that request. Thus when people spoil things for others, they get mad and someone usually gets banned if it gets reported.

    So lets go over the guidelines of spoilers and what you can do to not get banned or infracted as wonderfully written by Yugl.

    Due to increased spoiler reports, the mod squad would like to reiterate and clarify Bentertainment Geekly rules regarding spoilers. First, the staff has outlined the time required to pass post-screening (Post-release if a book)[1]. Second, we have determined the criteria for what does and does not constitute a spoiler[2]. Third, we would like to make it clear that secondary media appearance trumps the primary appearance. What does that mean? That means TV shows or movies derived from a book are bound by the TV/Movie spoiler period rather than the book period. In short, if you want to discuss material from the printed version, either make a separate thread or make a spoiler with a "From Book" label. Finally, certain threads can gain access to reduced spoiler wait periods by sending moderators a request. Such exceptions must appear in the title of the thread using the [] parenthesis (ex: Suits Thread [Spoilers Wait:10hrs]). As always, if you are uncertain about whether to use the spoiler tag, use the tag.

    [1]. Spoiler wait period
    Movies in Theaters: 1 Month
    Moves out of Theater: No wait period
    TV shows (Anime/Sitcoms/1hr series/etc): 2 weeks
    Books: 2 Weeks
    Manga and Comics: 10hrs

    [2]. Spoilers defined.
    Information not subject to the spoiler rule
    • Content passed the spoiler wait period
    • Content revealed by the commercials
    • Questions or Opinions about a character that do not reveal new characters or new details old characters
    • Questions or Opinions about a scene that do not explicitly state the content of the scene
    Information subject to the spoiler rule
    • Information that reveals plots not introduced by episodes still under the spoiler wait period
    • Any details hinting at or explicitly revealing the outcome
    • Revealing new characters
    • Revealing new details about an old character (ex: New abilities, injuries, or membership)


    That being said, if you are concerned it might be a spoiler, THEN JUST PUT IT IN SPOILER TAGS.
    Spoiler tags can be created by putting square brackets with opening and closing spoiler in them. Please see this example and substitute [ and ] for { and }
    {spoiler}Stuff to spoil here{/spoiler}
    for example
    Spoiler: show
    Vader is Lukes father



    Please follow these guidelines to avoid us having to slap the shit out of you.

  2. #2
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,691
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Meliadoul Tinjeru
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    Seems kinda excessive. I mean, if I haven't watched/read something yet, I don't go into a thread that is most likely discussing it. More so because no links are allowed to shows/movies anymore, there's just no reason to enter a thread until you watched whatever that thread is about.

  3. #3
    Ranger
    2600klub

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    11,263
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries
    12

    its not excessive to ask people to not spoil things. This isnt for brand new shows either, people should know better and we have no remorse for someone walking into a new thread, this is simply about shows that people might not have been able to see the latest episode yet. For example, Suits was spoilered on the 24th for the season finale and it just aired last night (8/23). I almost always check the thread to read about it but didnt get a chance to watch the episode yet. If I had gone into the thread to gauge the ohsnap for that episode I would have been spoiled.

    And for those wondering when these rules were put in place, it was a long time ago, we are only clarifying them because they are being so casually broken now:

    IX. Spoiler Tags
    Spoiler tags will be used for TV shows, movies, video games, books, anything that somebody would consider a spoiler to a certain degree. If you are unsure, use a spoiler tag because it’s better to be safe than sorry, you can go back and edit out spoiler tags for obvious well known things. Any abuse of the spoiler tags will be dealt with by the admins and moderators.

    The Noobs’ Guide to BG
    • Do not post spoilers and NSFW content outside of a NSFW thread without using the spoiler tag: [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ], without spaces.

    In the forum rules since forever and in the noobs guide since Isla posted it in 2011.

  4. #4
    okay guy I guess
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    20,251
    BG Level
    10

    Question regarding shows and movies, should news articles like casting, etc, not be quoted now? Just a link and "read at your own risk" sort of statement?

  5. #5
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10,244
    BG Level
    9

    2 weeks to spoil a TV Show? that is fucking lol, but eh your house your rules.

  6. #6
    You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    26,458
    BG Level
    10

    Re: BECAUSE SOME OF YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN: An refresher on spoilers and the bannings that will occur

    Alright try to stay with me here, because I'm about to sound crazy:

    If you know you haven't seen the episode, and you might be risking spoilers, you're actually not legally obligated to participate in the discussion thread for that particular piece of media. You could just, y'know, not click the thing until you've had a chance to catch up on viewing.

  7. #7

    Quote Originally Posted by Tajin View Post
    2 weeks to spoil a TV Show? that is fucking lol, but eh your house your rules.
    I agree that two weeks is way too long for a TV show. If anything, 1-2 days is enough. I usually don't watch stuff until the day after it airs and I guess if you've got half a brain you can figure to stay out of a thread until you've seen the show. Otherwise, what's the point in reading it? Unless you wanted spoilers I guess...

  8. #8
    Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,099
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

    Quote Originally Posted by Callisto View Post
    Alright try to stay with me here, because I'm about to sound crazy:

    If you know you haven't seen the episode, and you might be risking spoilers, you're actually not legally obligated to participate in the discussion thread for that particular piece of media. You could just, y'know, not click the thing until you've had a chance to catch up on viewing.
    Exactly this, why do people click topics about movies/shows and get surprised when there are people talking about it? If you haven't seen it yet, don't click it. I didn't watch the Dark Knight Rises for about 1-2 weeks after it released. You want to know what topic I avoided? Dark Knight Rises, because I have common sense. There is no excuse for anime either because it comes out the same time, very rarely are manga scans released early.

    All this does is make talking in such topics pointless if there's gonna be a shitton of spoiler tags to open and sift through.

  9. #9
    listen!
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    7,296
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    There is no excuse for anime either because it comes out the same time, very rarely are manga scans released early.
    Anime is actually a quite different situation here, since everything is posted in one thread.

    Which is basically the dumbest thing ever, and prevents me from going to that thread at all, because i'm always behind on at least one or two shows.

  10. #10
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    19,217
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

    Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    I agree that two weeks is way too long for a TV show. If anything, 1-2 days is enough. I usually don't watch stuff until the day after it airs and I guess if you've got half a brain you can figure to stay out of a thread until you've seen the show. Otherwise, what's the point in reading it? Unless you wanted spoilers I guess...
    Well, you have to remember that some people get their shows off Hulu, and some channels (hi2ufox) suck dick and wait a week before putting the episode up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    Exactly this, why do people click topics about movies/shows and get surprised when there are people talking about it? If you haven't seen it yet, don't click it. I didn't watch the Dark Knight Rises for about 1-2 weeks after it released. You want to know what topic I avoided? Dark Knight Rises, because I have common sense. There is no excuse for anime either because it comes out the same time, very rarely are manga scans released early.

    All this does is make talking in such topics pointless if there's gonna be a shitton of spoiler tags to open and sift through.
    My big thing about all this is because there are some fucking idiots out there who put spoilers outside the thread. IE batman jokes in the random image thread. Some rules have to be put in place.

  11. #11
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    871
    BG Level
    5
    FFXIV Character
    Mist Monster
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    Since EVERYTHING is going to be spoiler tagged now... Is there some firefox plugin to unspoiler everything? I'm adult enough, I'll just stay out of threads of shows that I haven't seen. Though I might be hit with some NSFW content I didn't expect at work. LOL I'll risk it not to open each post several times.

    Seriously though my comment in the Breaking Bad thread

    Spoiler: show

    Yay the spider lives (or something like that)


    is now a spoiler?

  12. #12
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10,244
    BG Level
    9

    I don't think anyone is against a policy about posting spoilers outside the thread, but what is the point of having a thread at all if you can't talk about the show/book/whatever? (in a timely fashion).

    Like Cleverness I avoided Batman Rises thread, its not like its hard to avoid a thread.

  13. #13

    Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Well, you have to remember that some people get their shows off Hulu, and some channels (hi2ufox) suck dick and wait a week before putting the episode up.
    That's a valid point, but 2 weeks is still a hell of a long time. Even a week seems too long. I mean in 2 weeks you will have maybe 1 (realistically 2) new episodes to talk about so the spoilers you want to avoid become totally irrelevant.

  14. #14
    listen!
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    7,296
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Quote Originally Posted by mistmonster View Post
    Since EVERYTHING is going to be spoiler tagged now... Is there some firefox plugin to unspoiler everything? I'm adult enough, I'll just stay out of threads of shows that I haven't seen. Though I might be hit with some NSFW content I didn't expect at work. LOL I'll risk it not to open each post several times.

    Seriously though my comment in the Breaking Bad thread

    Spoiler: show

    Yay the spider lives (or something like that)


    is now a spoiler?
    http://www.bluegartr.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

  15. #15
    I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    9,866
    BG Level
    8

    Entire threads in this section are going to be in spoiler now lol. The rule should be outside of the specific thread that show/movie/whatever is, everything should be spoilered because people can't avoid reading something they don't expect to read in a thread not about that specific show/movie/whatever.

    A thread titled Suits is people talking about Suits. If you're behind, you know what you're getting into by going in the thread.

  16. #16
    Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,536
    BG Level
    9

    In some threads, such as one piece/naruto/bleach, there is a long-standing way things work in there, and everyone that posts there (let's face it, it's the same 10 people every week) knows how it works in the respective thread. In fact, I was banned because I argued with someone with a colorful name because he wanted to come in and change how we'd been doing it. Sure, your high traffic threads for movies/TV shows might need an anti-asshole clause so that Auntie can have her fun Reichbanning people, but the threads where it's under control? Leave us alone, eh?

  17. #17
    Doesn't Afraid.
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,807
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    In some threads, such as one piece/naruto/bleach, there is a long-standing way things work in there, and everyone that posts there (let's face it, it's the same 10 people every week) knows how it works in the respective thread. In fact, I was banned because I argued with someone with a colorful name because he wanted to come in and change how we'd been doing it. Sure, your high traffic threads for movies/TV shows might need an anti-asshole clause so that Auntie can have her fun Reichbanning people, but the threads where it's under control? Leave us alone, eh?
    There are certainly exceptions to it. For example, Yugl specifically asked if these rules can be waived for the WWE thread which was perfectly fine because the people involved all had the same understanding.

  18. #18
    BG Staff
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    25,864
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    In some threads, such as one piece/naruto/bleach, there is a long-standing way things work in there, and everyone that posts there (let's face it, it's the same 10 people every week) knows how it works in the respective thread. In fact, I was banned because I argued with someone with a colorful name because he wanted to come in and change how we'd been doing it. Sure, your high traffic threads for movies/TV shows might need an anti-asshole clause so that Auntie can have her fun Reichbanning people, but the threads where it's under control? Leave us alone, eh?
    Pretty much just say whatever, no tags, in them anyways. How it's been going anyways.

  19. #19
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    871
    BG Level
    5
    FFXIV Character
    Mist Monster
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    Awesome! I didn't know that was there woo

  20. #20
    Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,099
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

    Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Well, you have to remember that some people get their shows off Hulu, and some channels (hi2ufox) suck dick and wait a week before putting the episode up.



    My big thing about all this is because there are some fucking idiots out there who put spoilers outside the thread. IE batman jokes in the random image thread. Some rules have to be put in place.
    If you have to wait a week then why are you checking the thread in the first place to spoil the experience for yourself? Even someone saying "this episode sucked" will change your perspective on it as you are about to view it later on because you hadn't seen it yet. If people put spoilers in OTHER threads, yes, by all means these rules are fine for that and banhammer away. Rules for specific threads pertaining to their show is retarded though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast