+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 176
  1. #41
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,145
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Agreeing with what Abandon and most others have said. Threads for one specific anime/manga series should have an understanding that unless you read/watched it you shouldn't be reading it on release day. There's no reason to go into those threads if you're not up to date.

    For threads that discuss multiple things though, or stuff that's out-of-thread I wouldn't mind those rules though.

  2. #42
    Very Sexy Nerd
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    8,477
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    Back in the old days, when we used to share megaupload links and stuff, so people would actually go into the thread 0-2 days after it shows to find a download link, and wanted to avoid spoilers, these rules would have been pretty valid.

    Now... eh, still a valid point, but not as much as it used to be. Just my 2 cents anyway.

    For video games, though, I think there should probably be two different threads for each game, one that contains spoilers and one that doesn't, that way people who have questions/need help/just want to discuss gameplay or whatever can do it in a thread without spoiling themselves, and the other thread can be about everything from the previous thread, plus an actual story discussion, if there's a need for one. This would obviously be more for larger games, and smaller games can probably live with just one thread that spoiler tags anything story related? Idk, just speaking my mind a little bit.

  3. #43
    listen!
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    7,296
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    For video games, though, I think there should probably be two different threads for each game, one that contains spoilers and one that doesn't, that way people who have questions/need help/just want to discuss gameplay or whatever can do it in a thread without spoiling themselves, and the other thread can be about everything from the previous thread, plus an actual story discussion, if there's a need for one. This would obviously be more for larger games, and smaller games can probably live with just one thread that spoiler tags anything story related? Idk, just speaking my mind a little bit.
    There was two threads for 13-2. I liked that.

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,559
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

    Any of you saying THERE IS NO REASON TO CLICK ON A LINK IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN/READ WHATEVER is fucking dumb and self centered.

    From the GD thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    Spoiler discussion. For mangas it is useful if certain popular site hasn't updated with newest issue of NarutoPiece but some other lesser known place has. A person might wander into the thread looking to ask if anyone has a link to the newest release and see OMG SASUKE EYE HACKED WITH HIS SHARINGTANK. The same can go for TV shows also. I know it's happened before where a provider (Dish, Directv, Comcast w/e) isn't airing a new episode due to $$$ disputes and someone may go into the thread to ask WTF and see HOLY SHIT KUTNER KILLED HIMSELF.
    Newly released movies should use spoilers because some people might want to see a review of the movie from a fellow bger who might be a like minded individual.

    Personally I think 24 hours for tv/manga is fine and maybe until the Monday after release for movies.

    /ITT having to click on a spoiler is a first world problem.

  5. #45
    BG Staff
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    25,974
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    For video games, though, I think there should probably be two different threads for each game, one that contains spoilers and one that doesn't, that way people who have questions/need help/just want to discuss gameplay or whatever can do it in a thread without spoiling themselves, and the other thread can be about everything from the previous thread, plus an actual story discussion, if there's a need for one. This would obviously be more for larger games, and smaller games can probably live with just one thread that spoiler tags anything story related? Idk, just speaking my mind a little bit.
    I have thought of this before for gaming. I'm just not sure exactly what would qualify for this though. What game(s) could qualify enough for a gameplay and story discussion? 13-2 just went its own direction once it came out.

  6. #46

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    /ITT having to click on a spoiler is a first world problem.
    Alternatively: ITT waiting is hard

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,559
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

    Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Alternatively: ITT waiting is hard
    Clearly you have a reading comprehension problem. I gave legitimate reasons why someone should not have to have something ruined by spoilers because people are too lazy. Give some legitimate reasons why people shouldn't have to use spoilers.

  8. #48
    BG Content
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    29,226
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries
    9

    If anyone is curious, this was the input that I had submitted;

    Movie: 3 weeks
    TV (Live Action): 4 days
    TV (Anime/Cartoon): 3 days
    Books/Comics/Manga: 1 week

    Clips & book previews, not counting trailers or articles, should be spoiler-ed as not to ruin the experience of an upcoming release. If a book series is made into a television show and/or movie while the book series still in circulation, any conversations of the book should be spoiler-ed.
    I was originally asked to write up the new guidelines, but I miss interpreted "we'll workshop" and ended up "blowing it." Also I didn't get it written up as quickly as they intended me to. I don't follow the books/tv/anime threads as close as I should because I knew that the community that posts there regularly governed it themselves. Also Qal, IC, & Delirium would get at me if something really needed "fixing."
    While some of this does seem overboard, it does serve as a good reminder that we should respect the members of our community that wish to be blissfully unaware of every juicy detail until they view or read it themselves.

  9. #49
    Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,099
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    Any of you saying THERE IS NO REASON TO CLICK ON A LINK IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN/READ WHATEVER is fucking dumb and self centered.

    From the GD thread.


    Newly released movies should use spoilers because some people might want to see a review of the movie from a fellow bger who might be a like minded individual.

    Personally I think 24 hours for tv/manga is fine and maybe until the Monday after release for movies.

    /ITT having to click on a spoiler is a first world problem.
    This is a moot point and you used a terrible fucking example with manga because the manga threads actually don't have this issue, if the chapter is early and eventually linked, the first posts that would contain spoilers are always spoilered. There is no 'spoilering' it for people(except on the rarest of occasions) unless you deliberately scroll down past the link, past the spoilers of the first people who replied in the topic after reading it, and then reach the point where people are talking about it casually. In which case, it's still your fault.

    ITT- People like Zeb are stupid and can't avoid clicking the threads that actively talk about regularly broadcasted shows but tries to use manga topics, which don't have this issue since the posters know the release date is never consistent due to the nature of manga and subbed anime and spoiler appropriately, as a crutch for his argument.

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,559
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    This is a moot point and you used a terrible fucking example with manga because the manga threads actually don't have this issue, if the chapter is early and eventually linked, the first posts that would contain spoilers are always spoilered. There is no 'spoilering' it for people(except on the rarest of occasions) unless you deliberately scroll down past the link, past the spoilers of the first people who replied in the topic after reading it, and then reach the point where people are talking about it casually. In which case, it's still your fault.
    Exactly, the manga threads are working as intended. We need to move that shit to tv/movies where this shitstorm came from. These things DO happen occasionally. EST vs PST. Fox vs Directv. Nascar interrupt normal broadcast for some providers. There ARE reasons to have spoilers. There is no reason not to except I'M LAZY AND SELF CENTERED.

  11. #51
    GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    19,460
    BG Level
    9

    Movies are a slightly different topic because you might want to look at others' thoughts on the movie.

    I can't think of ANY reason to check a TV show thread before you are current.

  12. #52

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,972
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Sorry for not spoilering my thing, I guess. Wasn't thinking about it since it wasn't really a major plot point.

  13. #53

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    There is no reason not to except I'M LAZY AND SELF CENTERED.
    We're all hypocrites here, everyone wants what they want.

    I don't have to give valid points to why excessive spoilering everything because people can't wait to see some shit. Lots have explained why actually waiting is sensible. EST/PST thing doesn't matter, there are more than 2 timezones in the world and yet the rest of us can deal with it. If you haven't seen it yet, don't go into the topic. There's no reason to go into a TV topic other than to discuss what you JUST saw. If you haven't seen it why the hell are you there?

    Hell, if you want you could just have a BG movie/TV review thread and dump all user reviews there instead of specific topics.

  14. #54
    Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,099
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

    The shitstorm came from 1 TV show thread, Suits. I want everyone, including you, to stop pretending that spoilering in threads has run rampant and people have no regard for it. This is literally people getting mad that they missed a regularly scheduled TV show for whatever reason, and then chose to click on a thread talking about it.

    I actually went into The Dark Knight thread since it's been one of the biggest blockbuster to come out recently to check for people ODing on spoilers in the first several replies after the movie was released. Saw none, people either said what they thought of it, and/or including plot specific comments in spoilers. Spiderman same thing. Checked Avengers, same thing. What movie thread are people spoiling stuff right after release? Because I'm not seeing it. This is about some people getting mad about checking a TV thread when they haven't seen the new episode. Seeing as you don't have to pay for a viewing of a show similar to a movie, the 'wanting peoples opinion' thing is a terrible excuse here imo. If you are watching the show, you know the general premise of it so wanting a persons opinion similar to a movie on an individual episode makes little sense. If I skipped an episode of House, I can assume there is a celebrity appearance as a patient or someone important, House disregards the rules, etc. I don't need to check the thread to see what peoples reaction to the individual episode was, I enjoy watching that particular show and don't need to see someones opinion on an episode I may have missed. So to whoever is actually dumb enough to click a TV thread without having seen the episode and complaining about spoilers, sit down and watch the fucking episode when it's available rather than going into a thread where everyone else is obviously gonna talk about it.

    So since it's been established this issue is because of spoilers for 1 show, simple solution that doesn't involve this rules bullshit for TV shows; add a (Warning, spoilers inside) to the title once the show airs like the Once Upon A Time topic has. Everything is left the same except now the issues of TV posting is now addressed and people who haven't watched it and are apparently too stupid to not click a thread pertaining to a TV show after its regularly scheduled airing can know to not read it since they need the extra help apparently.

    Honestly the fact that this whole thing is even a fucking issue shows that either some of the leadership has no idea what they are doing sometimes, one of the people complaining was a big donator, or one of the people dumb enough to click on a TV topic like that is a mod themselves so they need to flex their e-muscles now to compensate for whats obviously missing mentally.

  15. #55
    An exploitable mess of a card game
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    13,297
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    The shitstorm came from 1 TV show thread, Suits.
    This is incorrect. The recent hits on the Suits thread came after this ruling. The reported posts before this ruling (the ones that led to mods revisiting the rules) were primarily Breaking Bad and (previously) Game of Thrones.

  16. #56
    Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,099
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

    So 3 shows instead of 1, its still an issue of people checking TV shows threads without watching it and doesn't change the context of my post at all, including the easy solution to it.

  17. #57
    An exploitable mess of a card game
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    13,297
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

    Your point was clear multiple pages ago. We get it. You think people should bar themselves from a thread until they're on the current episode.

    On that note, I said "primarily"; I didn't say only. Those two seem to be the biggest offenders though. As for your accusation that the person is a huge contributor or mod, the person that cried the most is actually banned from what I can tell (Though I think that's for other reasons; I'm not sure what the details are). It's clear that you're overstepping your conclusions because both the claim that it is one show and that the person report is "valued" have both been false.

  18. #58

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,559
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    The shitstorm came from 1 TV show thread, Suits. I want everyone, including you, to stop pretending that spoilering in threads has run rampant and people have no regard for it. This is literally people getting mad that they missed a regularly scheduled TV show for whatever reason, and then chose to click on a thread talking about it.

    I actually went into The Dark Knight thread since it's been one of the biggest blockbuster to come out recently to check for people ODing on spoilers in the first several replies after the movie was released. Saw none, people either said what they thought of it, and/or including plot specific comments in spoilers. Spiderman same thing. Checked Avengers, same thing. What movie thread are people spoiling stuff right after release? Because I'm not seeing it. This is about some people getting mad about checking a TV thread when they haven't seen the new episode. Seeing as you don't have to pay for a viewing of a show similar to a movie, the 'wanting peoples opinion' thing is a terrible excuse here imo. If you are watching the show, you know the general premise of it so wanting a persons opinion similar to a movie on an individual episode makes little sense. If I skipped an episode of House, I can assume there is a celebrity appearance as a patient or someone important, House disregards the rules, etc. I don't need to check the thread to see what peoples reaction to the individual episode was, I enjoy watching that particular show and don't need to see someones opinion on an episode I may have missed. So to whoever is actually dumb enough to click a TV thread without having seen the episode and complaining about spoilers, sit down and watch the fucking episode when it's available rather than going into a thread where everyone else is obviously gonna talk about it.

    So since it's been established this issue is because of spoilers for 1 show, simple solution that doesn't involve this rules bullshit for TV shows; add a (Warning, spoilers inside) to the title once the show airs like the Once Upon A Time topic has. Everything is left the same except now the issues of TV posting is now addressed and people who haven't watched it and are apparently too stupid to not click a thread pertaining to a TV show after its regularly scheduled airing can know to not read it since they need the extra help apparently.

    Honestly the fact that this whole thing is even a fucking issue shows that either some of the leadership has no idea what they are doing sometimes, one of the people complaining was a big donator, or one of the people dumb enough to click on a TV topic like that is a mod themselves so they need to flex their e-muscles now to compensate for whats obviously missing mentally.
    I just think using spoilers shows respect to your fellow BGer. From what I've seen in the threads I visit, people have been really good about it. And I'd like to keep it that way. If we get rid of spoilers, what happens when shit gets leaked early. I know off hand GoT and Californication have had episodes leaked a few days early before. It also happens a quite a bit with pilot shows. Some people might be kind of pissed if we got rid of spoilers and then had an episode of w/e ruined for them because they didn't know there was a leak.

    /And I never once mentioned wanting a review of a tv show as an excuse for spoilers. Do you know how to read?

  19. #59
    Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,099
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

    That specific point is directed at what is not subject to the spoiler rule now, which comes out to pretty much turning every TV thread into what the movie threads are, which is general opinions and limited character reactions and such not in spoilers which is what this rule has now enforced is appropriate for posting in these threads. You know, what was posted on the first page. Did you read the 1st page? I didn't quote you so that post wasn't directed only to you. Maybe you should read the whole thread before commenting on it.

    Or were you one of the dumb people checking TV threads without watching the episodes? That would explain a bit here.

  20. #60
    I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    10,094
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    This is incorrect. The recent hits on the Suits thread came after this ruling. The reported posts before this ruling (the ones that led to mods revisiting the rules) were primarily Breaking Bad and (previously) Game of Thrones.
    GoT was a totally different scenario since it was the book vs show thing. People were saying shit 3 books ahead of the show like it was going out of style. Getting ticked at that is pretty justified.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast