+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Banned.

BG Level

Re: BECAUSE SOME OF YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN: An refresher on spoilers and the bannings that will occur

You'll never win his one cleverness, the amount of retarded fucks crying about spoilers is just too big.

ES #1 HUE HUE HUE
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Super Bad
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

I don't think people that watch things on release day should be obligated to use a spoiler tag. Spoiler tags should be more about spoiling things outside of that thread. If you're not current on a TV show you shouldn't be trying to discuss said show with others. If you want to talk about two week old episodes make your own thread.

New rules that aren't completely fucking retarded. Feel free to copy and paste into the OP

[1]. Spoiler wait period
    Movies in Theaters: 10 days
    Moves out of Theater: No wait period
    TV shows (Anime/Sitcoms/1hr series/etc): No wait period
    Books: 2 Weeks
    Manga and Comics: 10hrs

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sup3rB4d View Post
    I don't think people that watch things on release day should be obligated to use a spoiler tag. Spoiler tags should be more about spoiling things outside of that thread. If you're not current on a TV show you shouldn't be trying to discuss said show with others. If you want to talk about two week old episodes make your own thread.
    Seriously. Holy shit. It's fucking re-cock-ulous trying to talk about fucking Game of Thrones all in spoilers because some retarded hobo is like watching season one during the finale of season two. Get that shit out of here.

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Most of the reasons being brought up for spoilers are common sense.

Obviously, if something gets "leaked" about an upcoming episode, it should be spoilered.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

The "An refresher" in this title is killing me. I just can't look away from it.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I brought up the issue for discussion within the moderators section:
    Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    Some good ideas/tweaks brought up:
    1. Reduce the wait period for TV shows
    2a. Create different rules for in-thread and out-of-thread spoilers
    2b. Only apply the rules to out-of-thread spoilers
    3. Create rules for video games (We can work on wait period now, but they say we need a refined definition of spoilers to accommodate; waiting to see what they say)

Thoughts?
    If you want any rules beyond this, speak up now so we can resolve the issue. That's not to guarantee that any of these will happen (It is a discussion among moderators of course), but we have been looking at the responses from this thread.

In the meanwhile, I remind you that you can ask for customized wait periods by sending a request to moderators.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Where is this moderators section and how do I gain access?

Banned.

BG Level

Re: BECAUSE SOME OF YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN: An refresher on spoilers and the bannings that will occur

I dont think you need different rules for out of thread spoilers beyond the basic.
    Post spoiler out of thread = ban.
    I'm mean, go ahead and write a bunch of rules no one will read / much less follow (for this particular scenario)

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Insanecyclone View Post
    I have thought of this before for gaming. I'm just not sure exactly what would qualify for this though. What game(s) could qualify enough for a gameplay and story discussion? 13-2 just went its own direction once it came out.
    It's easy. If there is a lot of discussion for a game (popular IPs, games that rely on the story to deliver most of its impact, etc), make two threads, one with a no spoilers understanding, one untagged free-for-all. If a game is niche, keep it all in one thread and ban if people post untagged spoilers within a certain timeframe from release. Let the players figure out what is niche and what isn't, no mod intervention required but for the random asshole who wants to ruin it.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Agree with almost all the above about TV shows...2 week waiting period is nuts. For Zeb saying that things get leaked early...yeah, and they should be spoiler tagged because that is common fucking sense. (and people did spoiler tag when the one GoT episode leaked early) The problems in the GoT thread came from people talking about things 3 books away and was handled correctly. I completely avoid the random image thread nowadays because I turned the spoiler tags off and I don't want to wander in to the depths of hell without a safety net. I also don't want to click 38 spoiler tags in a thread. Is it a big deal to click each of them? No. Is it enough of an annoyance that it will probably keep me from checking a thread much/ever? Yeah.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Ragns could always make another spoiler tag, and split up actual spoilers from large images or w/e else we use spoiler for.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I enjoy talking about what few shows I watch with other people who also enjoy those shows. I don't want those discussions to be limited or over moderated to the point of people just not bothering to post about it here and talking about it elsewhere. This is the only forum that I actually go to and, for the most part, really enjoy the conversations on here. I just don't wanna see people abandon those threads due to an additional annoyance if you get what I mean.

I get what you're saying Zeb, I just feel that for TV shows it's a bit much. I am very careful in the GoT thread about even how I talk about characters so as not to spoil the fact that someone may be dead later in the series. (i.e.: so and so WAS my favorite character or so and so IS my favorite character) Simply because GRRM likes to kill people and knowing they're still alive 5 books in is a spoiler. :D

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

I agree, aside from the GoT thread which I think was handled well this just never seemed to be a problem and posters used common sense. I get that the written rules state otherwise, but I'm not even aware of things actually being any different or a problem other than those rules suddenly being enforced. I'd never received an infraction prior to last week in lieu of a Suits post I made a few days after the episode aired. It was definitely a spoiler, it just seemed fairly weird to get hammered for that. I told the mod it hadn't even occurred to me to spoiler as an explanation given the context.

I'm not aware if this is even up for discussion, but it seems for the most part everyone's agreed that the rules are overly strict for the atmosphere of TV spoilers.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

GoT was handled well. Especially the lines between the books and TV show getting blured. Same goes for The Walking Dead. I'd like to think for TV shows, people would STOP viewing the thread until they've caught watch the episode or caught up in the show. As for books / video games. People should be using common sense. Lol. Guess some people are just dumb and lazy.

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

If I don't want to risk anything at all, I simply don't go into the thread. As example Breaking Bad or TDKR. In movie threads, It wouldn't be necessary at all because I yet have to find one where people didn't use spoiler tags for spoilers, and leave their personal impression readable. In TV threads, it's simply common sense. Heck, I watched all of BB season 1-now during the last 3 weeks and everytime I took a break, I continued reading through the (old) threads.

FFXIII-2 should be a prime example how to deal with story heavy games. one thread for plot-discussion, where all the spoilery stuff is and one for the game itself. I also vote on having the general spoiler rule simply for everything outside of the corresponding threads. Random image thread can be a dangerous place.

House Azazael
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa View Post
    The Noobs’ Guide to BG
    • Do not post spoilers and NSFW content outside of a NSFW thread without using the spoiler tag: [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ], without spaces.

In the forum rules since forever and in the noobs guide since Isla posted it in 2011.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't content inside the a [ spoiler ] tag still get loaded? I know there are some people who get paranoid about what is downloaded, even if it isn't readily displayed. It was a while ago but I remember someone bitching about a NSFW image being posted inside a spoiler, because it still loaded it. Was that wrong?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Sup3rB4d View Post
    Well said. The Breaking Bad thread is kind of a joke right now, because everything is spoilered. When I DVR a show to watch it a couple of days later, or if I'm catching up on a series and am seasons behind, I just don't go into the thread... Just stay out of the damn thread until you're caught up. Why is that so hard? If you can't stay out of a thread until you've watched the current episode, that's a you problem, not an everybody else problem.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Well said. The Breaking Bad thread is kind of a joke right now, because everything is spoilered. When I DVR a show to watch it a couple of days later, or if I'm catching up on a series and am seasons behind, I just don't go into the thread... Just stay out of the damn thread until you're caught up. Why is that so hard? If you can't stay out of a thread until you've watched the current episode, that's a you problem, not an everybody else problem.
    The difference is that your problem can be solved by an existing Setting in your user control panel.
    Your solution means someone who would rather not see spoilers would otherwise have to stay out of the thread entirely until well after the episode airs, which squelches discussion.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    The difference is that your problem can be solved by an existing Setting in your user control panel.
    Your solution means someone who would rather not see spoilers would otherwise have to stay out of the thread entirely until well after the episode airs, which squelches discussion.
    Squelches discussion about things they can't talk about because they haven't seen the episode? Squelches discussion about older episodes when everyone else is talking about the current episodes? Again, I'm not seeing the problem here except a lack of self-control on people who aren't current on a show. I never watch these shows live with the threads either, because I'm west coast and everyone watching live is watching it on east coast. So you know what I do for those 3 hours? Stay out of the thread. It's not hard.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by AzazaelFenrir View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't content inside the a [ spoiler ] tag still get loaded? I know there are some people who get paranoid about what is downloaded, even if it isn't readily displayed. It was a while ago but I remember someone bitching about a NSFW image being posted inside a spoiler, because it still loaded it. Was that wrong?
    That's correct. Though i'm not really sure why it's a problem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast