+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Squelches discussion about things they can't talk about because they haven't seen the episode? Squelches discussion about older episodes when everyone else is talking about the current episodes? Again, I'm not seeing the problem here except a lack of self-control on people who aren't current on a show. I never watch these shows live with the threads either, because I'm west coast and everyone watching live is watching it on east coast. So you know what I do for those 3 hours? Stay out of the thread. It's not hard.
    I understand that your solution is uncompromising, why are you repeating it.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    I understand that your solution is uncompromising, why are you repeating it.
    I think both sides of this issue are uncompromising and it's degrading into silly namecalling and personal attacks which isn't productive either. I gave my reasons before on why I don't like having to turn all spoiler tags on (RIT/movie threads where I'm looking for an opinion on the movie/game threads/random cocks and shitting dick nipples in random threads)...what is the reason for people to be in a thread that they're behind on? Even if the spoiler tags are used in a TV thread and you're a week behind but want to discuss last weeks episode (which is all I've heard as a reason to keep spoiler tags in TV threads) you can't tell which spoilers are about new episodes and which are about old ones. It makes in unneccessarily confusing and annoying at best.

I fully support spoiler tags outside of the right thread, in movie threads, game threads...etc...just not in TV threads as it will kill discussion. I don't watch anything live, I DVR and watch it when I get a chance, then talk about it in the appropriate thread. I just assumed everyone did this. I just can't find a reason to be in a TV show thread when I'm not current. I am already watching the show, or I wouldn't be in the thread, so it doesn't hold the same argument as the movie threads where people are looking for opinions on the movie. I am honestly trying to see both sides of this argument...I just can't.

Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Reposting for relevance. Towards the BB thread.

People are fucking idiots if they come in here while the show is airing, what the fuck do you morons expect? Stop coming in here if:

A. The series is airing a new episode

B. If you aren't caught up

Also, if you don't want to get spoiled, how hard is it to NOT read the posts to avoid them?

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

The difference is that your problem can be solved by an existing Setting in your user control panel.
    Your solution means someone who would rather not see spoilers would otherwise have to stay out of the thread entirely until well after the episode airs, which squelches discussion.
    I don't see how it squelches discussion. The discussion going on in a thread is about the newest episode. People who haven't seen that episode can't contribute to that discussion, spoilered or not. Please explain what discussion would be squelched without spoiler tags.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

Bitching about an episode being spoiled for you is sort of a discussion. Maybe that's what they're looking for.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Wanted to post and say we DO appreciate the discussion going on in here, and rules are being discussed over if/how they should be modified. We are not just sitting idlying going "haha fuck those guys" Please be patient with us.

In the interim, don't be an idiot and think posting spoilers to be a martyr will do anything to help the cause. It'll just piss us off having to go in these threads and fix shit for stuff we probably didn't want to have to see, and that makes me want this stuff even more.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Viq View Post
    Please explain what discussion would be squelched without spoiler tags.
    The world doesn't revolve around the Breaking Bad thread. If a film based on a book is coming out, folks coming in and spoiling the contents of the book in the film thread who then turn around and say 'well shit don't come into the thread if you don't want to be spoiled' are killing discussion. Ditto for threads that revolve around re-releases of video games on new platforms, or sequels.

Folks new to a long tv series looking for a recommendation. If the post they have to reply to at the end of the thread spoils late-season events, then they'll never come in and that's -1 participant in the thread.

How is this hard to imagine.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

The world doesn't revolve around the Breaking Bad thread. If a film based on a book is coming out, folks coming in and spoiling the contents of the book in the film thread who then turn around and say 'well shit don't come into the thread if you don't want to be spoiled' are killing discussion. Ditto for threads that revolve around re-releases of video games on new platforms, or sequels.

Folks new to a long tv series looking for a recommendation. If the post they have to reply to at the end of the thread spoils late-season events, then they'll never come in and that's -1 participant in the thread.

How is this hard to imagine.
    But for things like the Breaking Bad thread, what is the fuckin point? As pretty much everyone has said, it's a dumb idea to go in there if you aren't caught up. NO ONE is going to be talking about old episodes with you while current ones are airing. Just pointless. Same with any other TV show.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xajii View Post
    But for things like the Breaking Bad thread, what is the fuckin point?
    The world doesn't revolve around the Breaking Bad thread.
    In case you haven't been keeping up, I'm 100% for allowing the participants of a thread to set what's acceptable and what's not acceptable for spoilers. If 100% of the folks in that thread are fine with unmarked spoilers fine, do it, more power to you and yours. I'm not suggesting we impose new rules on the Breaking Bad thread just for the sake of imposing new rules. I'm suggesting a reasonable compromise (community-agreed per-thread rules could include: create a separate unmarked spoilers thread, impose an embargo of x days/weeks past the release, etc) going forward to avoid 'well it's okay in the BB thread so fuck the GoT thread, fuck the FFX re-release thread and fuck the Persona 4 Golden thread.' The attitudes in those threads I guarantee you are not for 100% unmarked spoilers.

PS

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

I should have been more specific. The post of yours that I quoted was in direct reference to how spoilers pertain to TV show threads. It seems obvious to me that different etiquette should be in place for each type of media, be it movies, games, anime or whatever else.

At the very top of your screen when you open a new thread is a button that says, "Reply to Thread." Press that, explain your situation and ask for recommendations via PM so as not to be exposed to spoilers. Problem solved without ever looking at a single potential spoiler.

Also, I've never seen an episode of Breaking Bad, but thanks for assuming I give a shit about that thread.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

Anyone who says the world doesn't revolve around the Breakign Bad thread clearly hasn't watched Breaking Bad.

That being said, is there even an argument about any other kind of thread? It's pretty understandable to spoil things in movie thereads becasuse peopel still visit to see trailers, opinions (non spoilery), etc.

Most of the drama lately has been in BB/other TV show-type threads. I think the vast majority of people here would agree that the things you mentioned should indeed have spoilers in place.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

At the very top of your screen when you open a new thread is a button that says, "Reply to Thread." Press that, explain your situation and ask for recommendations via PM so as not to be exposed to spoilers. Problem solved without ever looking at a single potential spoiler.
    I like this compromise less than the one I offered. It's barely a compromise. What if there's news about an HD or collector's edition release, how does someone post about that using your method. Don't? Oops that's another example of squelching contributions to the thread.

Also, I've never seen an episode of Breaking Bad, but thanks for assuming I give a shit about that thread.
    It's one of the ones people seem to be bitching about, the other being Game of Thrones. It doesn't matter what your preferences are, I'm speaking out against a 'one size fits all' policy blanketing every thread, be it Sonomaa's Fifteen Commandments or your 'free for all it doesn't matter what the show it' suggestion.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

GoT thread was fixed. If anybody is bitching in there now, it's because some wank isn't posting in the proper thread.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

I like this compromise less than the one I offered. It's barely a compromise. What if there's news about an HD or collector's edition release, how does someone post about that using your method. Don't? Oops that's another example of squelching contributions to the thread.
    Who seriously cares about an HD or collector's edition release of a show they haven't seen?

Banned.

BG Level

Regarding tv shows:
    The people on favor of using spoilers can't seem to come with a decent timeframe (Read: 1-2 days tops and most certainly not two weeks) and all their reasons are bullshit. In the interest of moving things forward, someone should make a [SPOILERS INSIDE] [SHOW NAME] Thread and call it a day. True blood just ended and breaking bad has 1 ep left this season/mid season) but Dexter is coming soon and I'd prefer not browse a thread of
    Spoiler: show
    Bet you clicked on this shit did ya?
    only.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Who seriously cares about an HD or collector's edition release of a show they haven't seen?
    I didn't watch any complete episodes of Game of Thrones until I could get it on blu-ray.

I didn't watch any complete episodes of Game of Thrones until I could get it on blu-ray.
    That's a niche preference, most people watched the show as it aired. I could only suggest having a TV or movie review/news topic. We have that shit for games (somewhat), why not TV and movies?

For games, I say let the users decide whether they want an additional topic for story/spoilers and keep the main topic just for game play chat. There aren't many games I can think of that need a dedicated topic for story spoilers, but most people have enough courtesy to spoiler ending stuff and major plot points.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Denmark Holland
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

For games having to spoiler all story isn't that big of a deal, since story is only one aspect of the game that can be talked about. For movies/Books/TV shows post release story is all there really is to talk about. There are other things like casting/writing/directing but these things normally happen long before the release of said media.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Here are 2 more possible solutions. Make one thread used for all television shows. Something like, What are you watching RIGHT NOW? (SPOILER ALERT) where people can post their color commentary, like we have in the sports threads. That will keep a lot of the shit posts of "OMG I KNEW IT", "OOH SHII", "THEY KILLED MY NIGGA NED" out of the actual discussion thread for each show.

Or, those people can use BG Chat...

That should cut down on a large chunk of the spoiler usage, shit posts, and complaints.

House Azazael
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I don't mind the spoilers. I do mind the retards putting something inside 15 different spoiler blocks, that is worse than spoilering something imo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast