Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I don't know which websites we can use to cite articles from nowadays, so I'll just give you the jist and you can search the sites that shall not be named for more.

Apparently, there's bad blood between Hayter and Kojima, for what reasons no one but Kojima probably knows. Hayter goes on to say he had to re-audition for every MGS game since Snake Eater, and that he's even heard of one instance where Kojima contacted Kurt Russell to take over for the series, to which he declined.

I always loved Hayter, so I don't know what Kojima was thinking. It's obviously not a money issue, one because it's a Kojima game, and two because I have to imagine Kurt Russell is more expensive than David Hayter. For a game creator, Kojima is at the top of my love list, but this makes me upset and disappointed in him =(.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Doesn't this go back to the whole "Kojima wanted a big name VA in a MGS game" argument regarding no Hayter in MGS V?

Hayter has sounded like cartoonish dogshit for about the same amount of time so I can imagine why Kojima would want to replace him with a professional.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Hayter said it in the interview that he felt it was because Kojima was jealous that Hayter was the face of MGS to the fans more than Kojima.

Source: GameInformer had a podcast released last week with a bunch of interviews stitched together about the recording of the first MGS. Was interesting to hear the real reason for the rerecording for TTS wasn't in fact due to "poor audio quality" like was widely published at the time but had to do with royalties instead.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Auspice View Post
    Hayter said it in the interview that he felt it was because Kojima was jealous that Hayter was the face of MGS to the fans more than Kojima.
    ....what the hell....

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    ....what the hell....
    It's all in the last 15 minutes or so of said podcast if you wanna listen to it. He said he didn't feel Kojima appreciated him getting all the attention when Kojima was meant to be the "rock star" of the series.

Fuck man; they had him audition for each game after MGS2 because they kept trying to replace him!

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Personally I never felt David Hayter was the "face of MGS" or "getting all the attention". He was just the guy that did the voice. Just like Akio Otsuka is the dude that does snake in japanese. What about you guys?

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

I like Hayter, he is a part of my childhood. (although I will say his voice work got worse as time went on. Started to go batman-ish). But I think his ego got the best of him. Aside from this he has also been known to try to rewrite / be apart of script writing since MGS2. Dude was so down the road from production that I don't know how he would think he could get away with that.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Omniyoji View Post
    Personally I never felt David Hayter was the "face of MGS" or "getting all the attention". He was just the guy that did the voice. Just like Akio Otsuka is the dude that does snake in japanese. What about you guys?
    To me the face of Metal Gear is well... Metal Gear.

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

Solid snake will always be Hayters voice. No matter what. I'm fine having Big Boss have a different voice.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrh_Quetz View Post
    Solid snake will always be Hayters voice. No matter what. I'm fine having Big Boss have a different voice.
    Right here. But why they went with Jack Bauer and not Richard Doyle is beyond me, you already used the dude in MGS4!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrh_Quetz View Post
    Agreed. Using Hayter for BB seemed like a bad move to me.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

To me, Hayter's voice is much Metal Gear as Kojima is the vision behind it. Likewise for Chris Randolph as Otacon.

Hayter's voice has gotten progressively worse with each iteration of the series so the argument to replace him after MGS3 as Big Boss was definitely there. In MGS3 it could pass because BB and SS are about the same age but for an older Boss, a different voice was required. What's amusing is that when Kojima finally gets his big star to voice Big Boss, he's completely wasted in a game with a near silent protagonist.

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

As much as I liked MGS5, so much was lacking that its tough to compare it to MGS 3, 4, 1, or 2.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

It really sounds like the issue wasn't with Kojima but was more with Hayter; maybe it's just that he comes off sounding sorta arrogant to me in the interviews, especially after being replaced. I don't get why they didn't go with Doyle after they used him in MGS4. The strangest casting decision was to use Hayter in PW instead of replacing him then honestly. The voice director also dispelled the rumor of making BB nearly silent in PP due to budget constraints by saying they had Sutherland in studio just as much as anyone else for the game.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I know I'm super late, but I just got around to finishing this game and holy. shit. I wasn't expecting this...so sad I won't see another Kojima "Metal Gear" ever again.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Now go back and read the entire thread!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

The Definitive Experience - October 11, 2016

Spoiler: show

Metal Gear Solid V: The Definitive Experience is the ultimate collection of the Metal Gear Solid V story which includes the critically acclaimed Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, its prologue Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, as well as all their DLC contents.

The only thing people would want from this is the cut chapter at the end of the game. Oh, is that not there? No fucks given.