FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

I've found rifle to be amazing in sPvP too to a degree. It's great to get jumps on people, and switching to greatsword if anyone gets in close. I can still essentially one shot ranged who go glass cannon (an obvious bad idea in spvp), but not nearly as likely as picking off people in WvW.

Quote Originally Posted by Alderaan View Post
    It really is though. I cringe when i see dagger Ele's in WvW as i know they'll be dead before they can contribute. Staff Ele specced fully into water and support is beyond amazing.
    This is completely untrue. I consistently run into gigantic zergs and tank 20+ people for 30+ seconds at a time, usually killing a few, sometimes killing them all if I have support.

Staff and scepter are both amazing for support, staff is not ele's only support weapon. Scepter can give 12 stacks of AOE might 24/7 and has good healing/damage. I'd actually say scepter/dagger is better support than staff in most situations, especially since it has 2 blinds, 2 AOE stuns, and a lot more mobility(plus very good burst on stationary/rooted/cced targets). I find support ele very boring though, and enjoy d/ding in WVW. I usually die maybe once, sometimes two times over ~5 hours of WVW, killing tons of people. Most of my deaths are from ressing people im with though, or stupidity on my part lol. I only die if I WANT to generally, d/d has infinite survivability/mobility.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Alderaan View Post
    It really is though. I cringe when i see dagger Ele's in WvW as i know they'll be dead before they can contribute. Staff Ele specced fully into water and support is beyond amazing.
    The only place this applies is sieges. I have no problem running straight into a zerg group with ride the lightning, popping damage abilities and retreating WITH kills (assuming I have team mates to retreat too but why would anyone do this without that lol). Are you playing with Eles that only use a single attunement or something?

Btw this is only viable because WvW is full of bad players and should not be used as a basis for anything.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Depends how you're set up i suppose. We have our Ele's run into zergs which allows all our melee to go to town while they keep us alive.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I play situational. As in the best weapon/set up for the job at hand. Ele is versatile.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

I am no Ele but I can vouch for Shiyo tearing up WvW no problem with daggers. Maybe it's just because most idiots gear glass cannon, but she has way more survivability than most others I've seen. She jumps in np with me and Pro (both tanky guardians) and lives through it just as well as we do.

My new AWESOME focus!! Wish my scepter had a particle effect, would match so well with this :Q

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I think you're the only other person I've seen in full Cathedral cloth armor, Shiyo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kachiko View Post
    I think you're the only other person I've seen in full Cathedral cloth armor, Shiyo.
    But it's the best looking cloth set by far! So cute ^-^ Everything else is so ugly...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Kachiko View Post
    i don't remember seeing this set from the venders... I want

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    This is completely untrue. I consistently run into gigantic zergs and tank 20+ people for 30+ seconds at a time, usually killing a few, sometimes killing them all if I have support.

Staff and scepter are both amazing for support, staff is not ele's only support weapon. Scepter can give 12 stacks of AOE might 24/7 and has good healing/damage. I'd actually say scepter/dagger is better support than staff in most situations, especially since it has 2 blinds, 2 AOE stuns, and a lot more mobility(plus very good burst on stationary/rooted/cced targets). I find support ele very boring though, and enjoy d/ding in WVW. I usually die maybe once, sometimes two times over ~5 hours of WVW, killing tons of people. Most of my deaths are from ressing people im with though, or stupidity on my part lol. I only die if I WANT to generally, d/d has infinite survivability/mobility.
    This is completely the truth. If you know what you are doing and spec correctly you can be quite powerful in WvW with dagger/dagger or scepter/dagger. Staff really is the weakest of weapon choices outside of actually sieging or defending from walls where the targetted AoE makes you a powerful asset. The problem is, our most powerful tool with staff is eruption and to put it simply.... siege equipment doesn't bleed.

I went to staff a while ago, because it made my groups life easier inside dungeons, but I would go back to D/D, S/D in a heartbeat if I could get decent daggers. (which I am saving up for atm.)

Mind sharing your spec Shiyo would be nice to see how you are doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    i don't remember seeing this set from the venders... I want
    Its the Orrian Kharma set.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I wouldn't mind seeing some good staff and d/d and s/d specs. I'm really not into WvW but I do like seeing 28k hp, so I jump in every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakson View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing some good staff and d/d and s/d specs. I'm really not into WvW but I do like seeing 28k hp, so I jump in every once in a while.
    Dagger/dagger:
    http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...vo9MxxaVscVcqV

Carrion armor, carrion weapons, clerics accessories. Superior siigil of battle in your weapon(xxx on weapon swap procs when changing attunments),superior sigil of agony on offhand, rune of the undead x6 in armor for more damage/survivability.

Very tanky, very good damage, very good condition damage, lots of survivability, mobility and damage. -33% cripple/chill/immobolize duration is a huge life saver and adds a ton of mobility, gaining 3 secs of proteciton when you use frost/lightning aura is nice as well. Swapping to water attunement instantly removes 2 conditions from you/nearby allies and AOE heals you/everyone around you for ~2k. Superior rune of battle is passive 3-6 stacks of might(usually 6), and comboing off ring of fire - > earthquake - >churning earth is +6 stacks of AOE might.

Dagger/dagger for pure DPS, scepter/focus for support + 12 stacks of AOE might(5% crit in focus, sigil of battle in scepter), staff for ranged AOE damage(I only use it in WVW for attacking towers/keeps, AOEing everyone off the balcony is very good damage, sigil of battle in your staff again).

Swap tornado for summon ele in dungeons, swap either mist form or arcane armor for water signet in dungeons depending on the dungeon. You pretty much ALWAYS want water signet on in a dungeon, but don't always need both mist form or arcane armor. I like arcane armor for everything but twilight arbor. When Using scepter in PVE I prefer mist form over arcane armor, and when using staff in PVE I swap earth armor for arcane blast, arcane shield for summon ele, and mist form for water signet. Sometimes you'll still want to keep mist form though, so give up arcane blast for that.

Use +20% bleed duration earth trait and -20% earth weapon skill cooldowns in PVE over the immobolize/cripple/chill -33% trait and the protection for 3 second trait when applying an aura. Powerful auras you can use over cleansing water in water as well when doing dungeons, kind of useful.

1611 power
    959 precsion
    1581 toughness(1661 in earth attunment)
    1568 vitality
    18711 HP
    6% crit(lol)
    761 healing power
    1,120 condition damage

Scepter/dagger:

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...GM9MaxxczVbVsq

Point of this spec is to keep up 12+ stacks of AOE might at all times and provide decent healing and decent damage. Ring of fire - > Dragon's tooth - > phoenix - > Earthquake - > Churning earth/dodge roll is 12 stacks of AOE might solo every ~20-30 seconds.

Carrion armor/weapns, clerics accessories, 4 water runes in armor, 2 monk runes in armor(+30% boon duration 5% chance to remove a condition when hit on a 10 sec icd), +20% boon duration food(chocolate omnomberry cream), +30% boon duration from arcana, sigil of water on your scepter and 5% crit on your offhand(I haven't thought of a better offhand sigil yet).

With all that boon duration, you're looking at +80% boon duration and 12+ stacks of AOE might every 20-30 seconds, probably keeping 20+ stacks of might up 60% of the time, while also providing decent heals and damage. I haven't tested the spec, and I never will, but it should work perfectly.

For pvp as this spec you're going to want to swap arcane shield with signet of earth, without the immobilize you will never land dragon tooth/phoenix combos on anyone with a keyboard and mouse. Swap summon elemental for tornado an signet of water for mist form as well.

Staff:

Staff is an inferior option to scepter as support in pretty much every situation besides ones where you CANNOT MELEE AT ALL, but then you wouldn't need to support people anyways, and you'd be better off scepter/focusing and x2 AOE mighting off your firewall or spamming fire/earth damage as staff so..

In WVW when sieging/defending keeps/forts/towers staff is very good for it's AOE damage(and AOE healing on the gate if you're attacking, but that's pretty minor and not very important). Either of the above specs will work for this type of play, simply run away and swap to staff, can change your arcane trait to "staff attacks are wider" instead of scepter/dagger in arcana as well. No need to ever spec for staff because it's a very situational weapon and not something you want to get caught out in the open or in real pvp with.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

RvR weapon choice is totally irrelevant imo. Any meaningful fight you will be using siege anyway and if you're out and about fighting in open spaces often, you're pretty much doing it wrong.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Don't agree at all. When you're on the offensive you generally can't rely at all on siege weapons to deal with players unless they all leave the base they're defending. You can throw down some Arrow Carts and Ballista but only the idiots will flock to you and let you kill them with it. And routing smaller groups of players (especially those going for supply camps) is very important too. I can literally solo supply camps if they are undefended (fortunately I've never seen a camp with upgraded guards, I doubt I could solo the 82 ones though), and it is very easy to move around the map by myself without drawing attention. You'd be surprised just how quickly a single party of people can take control of supply camps and monster allies all over the map. You don't even have to worry about defending camps generally because only a zerg can realistically take down a Guild Claimer whilst she has the Indignation buff up (5 mins duration after you capture).

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

I don't consider running around with a supply strike team meaningful fights. I mean, the action of taking the supply is absolutely essential. But you can be naked with your group of however many dudes and take down that undefended camp. Undefended towers fall in the same boat.

And there isn't a single forward position against a tower/keep that you can't throw down some siege. If the defenders are properly defending, even in the slightest, they have a least a few arrow carts. 1 arrow cart = 10 players. You need to deal with that, and your little rinky-dink weapon isn't going to do that.

I find siege extremely boring so I'll never be using siege, I'll always be in actual PVP combat. Siege is fun to build and place, but not fun for me to actually use.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 100% map complete.

screw you lornar's pass.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Staff aoe works but yeah.. outside of using an arrow cart or something there's not much you can do from on the wall. If you have consecration ground targeting trait you can throw down Wall of Reflect or the ring of fire on people (reflect is particularly effective if you throw it infront of the gate, lol). I prefer to just... jump in to the thick of things generally though. You can often jump off the side and screw with people on the edge of the zerg pretty effectively. You're prob gonna get rolled sooner or later, but it's far more fun imo. Spirit Weapons might work too, honestly haven't tried them. Summon and hit someone with scepter auto-attack and see if they go for him.

Tagus

Jumping off the wall is fun. Just watch for a straggler who's taken some damage, hop down on him and finish him off, and then sprint for the entrance back into the fort.

It's like survival of the fittest, and you're the lion! Just watch for the slow retarded animal at the back of the herd with a bum knee, and hop down to feast on his pathetic weakness!

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast