+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Sword Art Online     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Is there gonna be magic in ALO? I miss the magicks.
    Also with the next episode being called Return I hope that doesnt mean they're going to glaze over the whole meeting in real life etc etc stuff and skip to YAY MARRIED AT 16 LETS PLAY AN ELF MMO

Black Belt
    BG Level

I just love how he randomly turn into a fucking demon from spriggan racial ability in ALO and have it not mentioned again ever, it really was like reading a mary sue fanfic.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mooshywooshy View Post
    Is there gonna be magic in ALO? I miss the magicks.
    Also with the next episode being called Return I hope that doesnt mean they're going to glaze over the whole meeting in real life etc etc stuff and skip to YAY MARRIED AT 16 LETS PLAY AN ELF MMO
    kind of a spoiler but it happens very very early:
    Spoiler: show
    they both never met offline after Sao. the boy woke up, but the girl stayed in a coma apparently because some other guy is keeping her in a coma so he can marry her while she's in the coma.
    also apparently the kirito's sister (technically cousin) is now deeply in love with her brother for some reason
    Yeah, the whole series seems pretty horribly written and paced and doesn't get better with time.

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    they both never met offline after Sao. the boy woke up, but the girl stayed in a coma apparently because some other guy is keeping her in a coma so he can marry her while she's in the coma.
    also apparently the kirito's sister (technically cousin) is now deeply in love with her brother for some reason
    Yeah, the whole series seems pretty horribly written and paced and doesn't get better with time

I think I'll just pretend SAO ended here.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    Yeah, the whole series seems pretty horribly written and paced and doesn't get better with time.
    It IS horribly written, and it only appeals to escapists or people that just want an entertaining action drama show.

I am the latter of those two, so I do enjoy watching it every week. The plot is abhorrently bad later on though, and I'm sure that will become very obvious.

Probably around the point where

He technically beats his kendo master sister in a spar with no real world experience with swords whatsoever and severe muscle atrophy

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

This anime is full of wut.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

We need tissues for all the tears in this thread

It should've ended here though

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I know nothing about the light novel or the manga, but from what I'm reading, while I did enjoy the show a lot, it sounds like maybe I should just stop watching here. Is it really that bad, or are people over reacting? Kinda sucks if it is, as this is the only new anime I watched(and I didn't start till episode 13 came out) and I'm really having a hard time finding anime that is interesting, that isn't a sequel to something else...

I feel like there's been a bit of a drought of good shows, too, but I rarely let the bitching of a few people (who sometimes just bitch about everything) stop me from poking at something that does seem interesting.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Unless they mess up the adaption, this second half of the show is going to be pretty good on action.

There's more fights in ALO. Better ones too. It's just the plot that's really cliche.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Well I marathoned the show yesterday and today. I had no idea the SAO arc was ending on episode 14, just happened to pick it up now on chance. It started off really well, but felt very rushed near the end. I honestly would've been okay with a full season in the same vein as the first 10 episodes as they made their way up to floor 100. But fuck man, that ending came outta nowhere and the whole "lets run away" episodes kinda killed the momentum of the show.

Somewhat interested in the next part, but I feel like a huge amount of potential was thrown away by ending the premise of this first one so quickly.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I think everyone feels the show could have been done better with more episodes, a lot of those arcs could have used them for actual character development rather than killing them off instantly within a few damn minutes of meeting them. I also love how the VN is told directly from Kirito's POV, of course this did not translate in the Anime series.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

It never translates.

There's a fuck load of amazing LNs that get totally ruined in their anime adaptions.

Infinite Stratos comes to mind.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

That's a shame considering how much more interesting it makes the story, is direct POV not considered Japanese or something? The fuck.

Direct PoV can be interesting from time to time, but doing it solely from that perspective like some kind of anime FPS might be a bit too disorienting when you find yourself confronted with situations where what the character does is different from what you'd do. At that point, being a third-person onlooker is just as functional. Just need a higher emphasis of internal dialogue, but I'd also say some LNs take that too far.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Well I didn't mean in a first person kind of view even though that's what the game essentially is, but hearing his actual thoughts and everything he is doing was rather nice in the LN and should have been considered in the series, since he is the main character and all. Oh well...

Ridill
    BG Level

1st person in non-literature just doesn't work. Closest it ever comes to working is when its third person but there is a narrator who is the protagonist and is giving his own insight.

There's also something to be said about simple facial expressions. LN may have a character going, "This is so confusing..." when you can just put a puzzled look on their face from third-person. Yeah, more introspective thoughts can be nice from time to time, and that happens in a lot of shows, but I also think anyone who's played enough games can probably relate to Kirito from the get-go and not need some kind of deep psychological motivation. Heck, he also parroted my tendency to play as a soloist within MMOs. And like him, it wasn't because he was incapable of interacting with people, he's actually a nice guy. Just some people function better when not bogged down by others and their demands.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Even that could have been potentially a lot better.

Speaking of Santa Claus, Kirito was suppose to be fighting him to near death while Klein and his buddies held off and fought other guilds... not even fucking close to what we got. I wonder what else I am missing by not reading all of the LN.

Ridill
    BG Level

btw, "first person" in literature and t.v./film doesnt really mean you seeing through their eyes. It just means it's being told from a certain person's point of view and the viewer only knows what the protagonist knows and nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitoshura View Post
    Even that could have been potentially a lot better.

Speaking of Santa Claus, Kirito was suppose to be fighting him to near death while Klein and his buddies held off and fought other guilds... not even fucking close to what we got. I wonder what else I am missing by not reading all of the LN.
    Isn't that exactly what happened in the anime? It was off screen, but it still happened.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast