+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Sword Art Online     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sword Art Online

Figured I'd make a topic about it since it's popular as hell and I'm sure people will continue to talk about it.

Plot Summary:
    Spoiler: show
    In the year 2022, the Virtual reality Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (VRMMORPG) Sword Art Online (SAO) is released. With the Nerve Gear, a VR Helmet that stimulates the user's five senses via their brain, players can experience and control their in-game characters with their minds. But an unexpected event occurs on November 6, 2022 when Akihiko Kayaba, the creator of SAO, prevents the players from logging out. Akihiko issues them a challenge; if they wish to be free and log out of the game, they must reach the 100th floor of the game's tower and defeat the final boss. However, if their avatars die in the game, so will their bodies in the real world. As the game's 10,000 players try to accept their new deadly predicament, Kirito, a skilled player who tested the beta version of the game, is determined to reach the 100th floor and attain freedom. As he befriends other players along the way, including Asuna, who becomes his partner and love interest, Kirito faces many obstacles and eventually discovers the true purpose of SAO.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

If you're impatient with the episodes, you can read translations of the LN here
    http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...ord_Art_Online

I only read chapters up to the episode I've seen, to see if there's any cut material, but the show is actually pretty damn identical to the LN so far.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

I've been really pleased with this show so far. I need to read the light novels but I just haven't found the time yet. Any shot of this getting a second season? Not sure how much story this season has left in it.

Silent Oil body rubs
    BG Level

There should be a second season if following the light novel.

Black Belt
    BG Level

i still think that this shit is the most overrated show this season, though considering the light novel, the studio did a decent job in cutting away a lot of the useless fluff.

too bad half the episode still feels like a goddamn filler even with that, the light novel was really that bad.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Agreed, I don't really see why people are so hard over this. It's better than AGE or Muv-Luv, but that's not much of an accomplishment given how terrible they are (ok, AGE is just very mediocre at best but I stand by Muv-Luv being terrible).

You would think SAO is pretty good or something based on how it's fanbase on /a/ rides it so hard.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

And here i was thinking it would be hard to dual wield with one hand. How silly of me.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Was just wonder why the cops wouldn't show up, arrest the guy, and the show would be over, but then I realized that the show would be over.

Carry on. D:

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

How would arresting him cause the plot to stop? Does arresting the guy enact some super magical spell that automatically changes the settings on all of the servers worldwide to set people free?
    You sound like the people on 4chan asking how anyone survived not eating for 2 years despite it being set in the future and the fact modern medical care has already been capable of taking care of coma patients for decades if not centuries.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

I've actually enjoyed the show a lot since one of my LSmates put me onto it. Reminds me of .HACK. lol

Most Valuable Lurker
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cayden Fereles
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    I've actually enjoyed the show a lot since one of my LSmates put me onto it. Reminds me of .HACK. lol
    That right there is probably why a lot of us are more interested in this show than people think we should be. It's the same reason I got into SAO, to be honest.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I's like .hack, but better. It's what .hack should have been.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

The anime is fairly solid so far, I'm pretty sad to hear that the source material is pretty shitty. Can still make a good anime out of it though, so long as they don't follow it too closely.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Khajit View Post
    How would arresting him cause the plot to stop? Does arresting the guy enact some super magical spell that automatically changes the settings on all of the servers worldwide to set people free?
    You sound like the people on 4chan asking how anyone survived not eating for 2 years despite it being set in the future and the fact modern medical care has already been capable of taking care of coma patients for decades if not centuries.
    Its probably a loop-hole thats been plugged somewhere in series with words like "IMPOSSIBLE" or "FAILSAFES" that somehow magically prevent the program from being deactivated or tampered with/deactivated... But, I imagine if this man was smart enough to create this type of system, there's probably someone in the world that could reverse the effects. Arrest him > Great minds work to free everyone.

Which is where the arresting of him would come from. Because then someone with the same general level of understanding of this type of device could work to set them free from the outside.

Either way, I may watch it, See how it is, For all i know, the people hating on it could be the normal "I hate popular things" type, Or not, I'll see :D

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    Its probably a loop-hole thats been plugged somewhere in series with words like "IMPOSSIBLE" or "FAILSAFES" that somehow magically prevent the program from being deactivated or tampered with/deactivated... But, I imagine if this man was smart enough to create this type of system, there's probably someone in the world that could reverse the effects. Arrest him > Great minds work to free everyone.

Which is where the arresting of him would come from. Because then someone with the same general level of understanding of this type of device could work to set them free from the outside.

Either way, I may watch it, See how it is, For all i know, the people hating on it could be the normal "I hate popular things" type, Or not, I'll see :D
    Given the fact that just trying to mess with the helmets killed people( everything is basically rigged to kill people if tampered with) I'm fairly sure he'd have similar measures on the server itself. I wouldn't be surprised if just turning on the monitor nuked a few towns as boobytrapping the game consoles and not the server hardware seems like an immense oversight. Being just as intelligent as the game's creator also isn't an advantage. you have to be smarter than him to makeup for the fact that he's booby-trapped everything. Is that folder really a folder and not a deathworm.exe which will be unleashed on the players? Is the OS rigged to kill a dozen people each time you press the letter "s". What do you mean the shutdown password is "She sells sea shells by the sea shore sampling sassafrases?" Alternatively there's the fact that this story is told from the POV of people inside so the fact that Lucavi even complained about the guy not being arrested when noone has access to the sort of knowledge to whow what's going on in the first place is to put it politely a confusing thing. He's complaining about the big bad not being arrested when for all he knows swat teams took him out in the first hour. It's basically indicative of complaining when you have no idea about a single thing you're talking about which is a common trait about most attempts to claim a plothole in the show. SAO is no masterpiece but it is amazing how many people have complaints like that.
    Some examples i've seen so far are:
    Why don't they just tamper with it to take the thing off?
    I cant imagine why people dying every time they tried that would discourage more attempts after the massive fail on dozens of people trying that already
    How does everyone not starve to death?
    I hope I never fall asleep too long around you since when I wake-up I'm going to find myself in a coffin and/or with my body/room looted of all valuables. It's called medical technology you idiot.
    How are they supposed to find everyone logged into the game?
    It's not like the stores kept receipts, the game had you register your address for making an account to login, Ip addresses can be tracked to a physical location, credit cards are given to you by banks that prefer to know where you live, the entire thing didn't have HUGE amount of publicity with news cameras recording the people waiting in line, or the whole thing is being run by a person that wants you to die in the game and not due to something outside of it if all possible.

How did they take care of everyone?
    They moved em to a hospital. DUH( half points for that since it's only in the LN that it's hinted at or theorized when everyone has a mass blackout around the sameish time and it's guessed that the creator let the authorities move people to a hospital while the helmet's batteries maintained a decent charge.)

How can everyone be in a hospital? Surely that would surely tax the medical industry's capabilities to the max. It averages out to a single extra patient per hospital. Stop being stupid

How can the government afford to take care of all those SAO players stuck in comas?
    Do you think any politician wants to be that guy that let thousands of people die because he was a cheap bastard?
    Do you think there cant be some paypal scheme to help with costs?
    What is health insurance?
    Has anyone heard of the concept of charity? (both verb and noun)
    Do you think that the multibillion-dollar gaming corporation that sold Sword Aart Online wouldn't have to pay any restitution to the victims or the families as a result of this and that there was a PR firm stupid enough to think there wouldn't be any backlash if they refused to pay for the medical care?

Why didn't the company get in trouble?
    They did. It's sort of hard to break into the VR gaming market when you've become known as deathtrap gaming incorporated and you aren't in a position to know if the company got in trouble or not in the first place yet; so why are you asking this?

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    I's like .hack, but better. It's what .hack should have been.
    The guy actually made this before .hack back when he was 15.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

This anime is incredible. One of the very few which has held my attention in the last 5 years.

We all played FFXI so it's pretty simple why a lot of us like this ;o

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

This shit is supposed to outsell Madoka actually if the estimated numbers are any indication.

I don't think it's anywhere near that good but it's still fun to watch.

Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Khajit View Post
    It's a reasonable question, it's not like the anime attempts to explain this as accurately as the novels. Not even in the same fucking universe.

Anyway, if you enjoy SAO I highly suggest you read the light novels, hearing everything from Kirito's direct POV is pretty awesome.

Still can't believe they didn't make Black Cats guild 2 episodes, considering the kind of impact it had on Kirito... but gave that other shitty ass side story involving that other guild over some item. That was seriously the stupidest thing I have ever seen, especially that ending. The only cool part about it was Laughing Coffin's debut.

I love it. Just watched all 10 eps in a row. It's the only anime I've watched since Fate/Stay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast