+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Shield
    BG Level

City of Heroes - Death of an Era

Farewell From the Devs
    Save the Game Effort
    Online Petition

Whenever an MMO shuts down, it sucks. Yes, even when the crappy MMOs that barely last a year die, it still sucks ... sorta ... maybe for that guy who just signed up a week before the announcement. But anyway, CoH was not one of those short lived blips on the MMO radar. Love it or hate it, CoH lasted 8 years ... so I figured I'd create this thread for people ... current players or players past ... to reminisce a bit.

My Thoughts

I started CoH during their second year and was subscribed up until February of this year (although I stopped playing in late 2011). That's a good 6 years of gameplay which occurred along side my 8 years of FFXI. CoH was my "other game" to FFXI, in which I'd play for 3 months, then not play for the next 3. I kept my subscription active at all times in full year chunks just so that at any moment I could jump right back in and tackle the new content. Even though I haven't played since late last year, the new F2P model made my decision to quit easier as I knew I could always just hop in whenever and purchase anything I felt I'd like to catch up on. So far my urge to hop on (and free time) hadn't yet struck, but reading this announcement made me feel a tad sick. It's never a good feeling knowing that a character you worked so hard on is going to vanish forever.

Anyway ... feel free to post your thoughts ... and if you're like me and totally missed the Paragon Studios announcement (I found out from a post by Felicia Day) feel free to help join the fight to save it.

Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

I never really played it alot, at that time I always bounced between FF11 and WoW mostly. I still enjoyed what I played, and CoH still has probably one of the most indepth character creators for an MMO out there. Kinda sucks they are closing it instead of just lowering costs by reducing number of servers and such.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Don't even get me started on CoH Character building. The number of hours people spend in character planners designing dozens if not hundreds of characters to play was at times just as fun as the game itself (not in a bad way). And thats just from a stats perspective ... so many others (especially true comic book geeks) would spend hundreds of hours on costume and theme design ... character viability be damned.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I played it off and on for a couple years. Never could get that much into it though since I didn't have many friends playing. The character creator is perhaps the best one out there in any MMO. A shame to see any game go, especially one that's been around this long.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Very sad to see it go. Made at least 50 different toons across servers playing off and on throughout the years. The gameplay wasn't the best in the world, especially after farming became so common. I still remember when I got Flight on my first toon.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Well, tonight is it.
    Spoiler: show

My main char who had 80-90% of my playtime. Posted in memoriam.

Spoiler: show

I miss this game. I am sad to hear that it actually shut down. My account was banned because I had created copyright infringing characters:
    • The Dread Pirate Roberts (Wesley the black garbed and hooded pirate of "The Princess Bride")
    • Lelu Dallas (Heroine of "The Fifth Element")
    • Professor Chaos (Anime version of Butter's Superhero from South Park)
    • Marvin Martian (Looney Toons villain)
    • Merciless Ming (Flash Gordon villain in City of Villains)

Is City of Villains also down now? Are there any City of Heroes emulators?
    Any private servers that may run it in the future?
    I'll have to go search and see if this is being done yet.

User was infracted for this post.