Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by notorious bum View Post
    I probably shouldn't have opened that can of FFXI worms lol I'm not really fully-committed to my own comments, mostly nostalgia taking over that post.

For example, I really don't want forced partying to be the standard, but I sure as hell will never co-sign this generation of the path to endgame being easier solo. It should be possible to solo, but in the way that BST had a more dangerous, slightly longer journey for soloing.

The amount of exp grind should be sizeable, but not pre-TOAU insanity. Breaking up the monotony of exping on a handful of mobs is also important for exping to feel natural. FFXI actually did this better than other MMOs, it's just the grind was so damn long(plus the monetary grind), that taking a break to go get shit like subjob, scrolls, airship access, AF, genkais, quest fame, and completing missions were still not enough.

Exp partying, like every other activity that needed to be done with the help of other people, was highly-dependent on the quality of people you were with, but, from my experience, even in some shitty PUG parties, the social aspect was still there. In fact, I would say that the most efficient and successful PUG parties had just as high of a likelihood of being a complete bore to be in, which negates the whole reason of choosing to play an MMO(many obviously play them for e-stroking purposes, too.)
    Interdependence for anything other than raiding is a dirty word to this generation.

Combat mechanics and boss mechanics have all improved over the last decade while almost everything else has gotten worse.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airewen Moonflower
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Black-Desert.com Interview with Pearl Abyss & Daum Communications at Gamescom 2014

http://black-desert.com/interviews/b...gamescom-2014/

Tidbits!

Alex: Naval Combat seems to be becoming a trend and there’s just recently been information, that Black Desert Online will feature naval transportation and combat.

Park Yoo Jin: Yes naval transportation & combat will be present in Black Desert Online. Players will be able to control boats and ships and depending on the kind of naval unit, there will be the possibility to board it with more than one person.

Alex: During CBT2 we experimented to see in what regard the weather affects skills, but we only found out, that the order in which the skills are being used affects the animation speed, could you shed more light into this?

Brian Oh: The weather itself won’t have any effect on the speed of skill animations, but on the damage dealt. For example fighting while it’s raining has as a result the reduction of damage dealt.

Alex: Our community at black-desert.com includes a somewhat large minority of Roleplayers. They were concerned about the lack of ingame emotes. Can we expect something like that in the future?

Park Yoo Jin: We are fully aware, that an open sandbox MMORPG such as Black Desert Online will provide players due to its player-focused features and open world a hub to enjoy it in many ways. We’re happy, that the western audience loves our game and we’ll surely go on and include features such as emotes ingame to provide them with a more complete experience and immersion. In addition, you’ll be able to enjoy several of the new cutscenes that we’ve added to the game for the upcoming Closed Beta Test.

Alex: While playing Black Desert Online during the 2nd Closed Beta, we noticed, that there was no feature allowing for skill points to be reset. Can we expect it to be implemented in the future?

Brian Oh: Resetting skill points has been used in many games for a long period of time, so we don’t see any issue why we shouldn’t include it in the future.

Alex: Last, let me drop the notorious “L-Bomb” i.e Localization. I’ve featured it recently in one of my articles; players start to panic the very moment they hear this word, because they haven’t had a good experience with it in the past. Park Yoo Jin you’re representing today Daum Communications, what can you tell us about your plans?

Park Yoo Jin: Thank you Alex for giving me this opportunity to express myself on the subject of Localization. To us, as well as Pearl Abyss, it’s important, that we preserve the core assets of the game, so you can be certain, we won’t change anything that constitutes the very essence of Black Desert Online. In fact and Brian can confirm it (Brian Oh agreed with a nod), Black Desert Online may be more “hardcore” in the future. We’ve accumulated a lot of feedback from our tests so far and it is evident, that the community likes the notion of a more “hardcore” orientation. We’ll keep monitoring the direction the Game goes in line with the feedback we’ll receive, but the western community can be certain, that we won’t water down their game-experience.

Alex: And when can we expect our beloved game to be available to the north American and European players?

Park Yoo Jin: We’re currently doing a lot of preparations setting up our western office, even though we’d like to see the Game released by the end of 2015, we feel, that early 2016 is a more realistic estimation.

Alex: Is there something else, we can look forward to in the next CBT?

Brian Oh: We’ll feature in CBT3 the Dye System, where Players will be able to customize their Armour on 3 different levels, we’ll include swimming and limited diving and the biggest addition is going to be the introduction of a pet system, which will allow Players to feature various animals as companions.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

^Welp, EFF that. Moving this off my list for a year.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airewen Moonflower
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Same, I'll probably try out the Russian client whenever that comes out. They are still making preparations setting up the Western™ office!

They're adding too much unimportant shit to serve as a 'features' checklist: naval combat, underwater swimming, and a pet companion system.... These are their top priorities? The rest of the game must be flawless, then.

Black Desert Online may be more “hardcore” in the future. We’ve accumulated a lot of feedback from our tests so far and it is evident, that the community likes the notion of a more “hardcore” orientation.
    Congrats on killing your game, fellas.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

^Yeah, I have to agree with that. Having stuck with Tera for so long, its obvious that only a small % of the Western Population is "hardcore".

has anyone ever given a shit about swimming and naval combat? makes me cringe every time I see MMO company adding that

Only time I was genuinely interested in swimming was when GW2 was demo'ing their features. No idea how much swimming gets used in that game, but at least they tried to do something with it lol

I'll never really understand the fixation with water content, either. GW2 was at least nice enough to not have a breath meter, but what basically comes down to 360 degree combat pans out to melees always being at a disadvantage. Hell, even Aion was "swimming" under the guise of flying, only with the added layer of such being restricted in certain areas or stupid shit like automatically dying if you fall for x amount of seconds without actually hitting ground. Otherwise, operating a boat just largely seems like fucking with doodads. "Costumed" combat is something I never really got into, either, as it typically invalidates whatever progression you've personally made in gear or mastery of skill use related to your class.

I guess it's just one of those things that can sound cool on paper, but once you actually play it, it's pretty meh or just gets used way too much even if it is half decent.

^Yeah, I have to agree with that. Having stuck with Tera for so long, its obvious that only a small % of the Western Population is "hardcore".
    The thing that gets me, the odds are the people doing these betas ARE the hardcore MMOers already. They do it both to learn a game, but to also have that advantage over others once it goes live. Of course they're going to want harder shit, in part because their knowledge and experience results in a tangible advantage. At the same time, challenge in MMOs usually winds up falling into the categories of RNG, time sink, or cheap mechanics (that once known or add-on'd to hell may not seem all that bad). In terms of RNG and grind, I look to Wildstar where most everyone who was all excited for old school raid access and shit are suddenly, "I don't have time for this crap." Naturally, the vocal minority of hardcores do their damnedest to try to berate casuals (and what they like) and conflate their own importance, but I just can't bring myself to point out a game that has outright thrived in pandering exclusively to them. At the same time, I can't really point to a game that's pandered to casuals properly BECAUSE of the hardcore element and their perpetual taint. Some may come close here and there, but then they get labeled "failures" like Abyssea was by SE.

Oh wells.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

The option to be able to swim is a must. There doesn't have to be content associated with swimming just as long as the option to explore is there. I notice immediately if i'm unable to swim and it kills my sense of exploration.

Now, underwater combat? That's about as much fun as flying combat was in Aion. It's always terrible no matter what.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Apparently TappyTalk ate my post yesterday, so here's a condensed version.

Quote Originally Posted by Cichy View Post
    has anyone ever given a shit about swimming and naval combat? makes me cringe every time I see MMO company adding that
    You won't say that after you harpoon across the continent. Boats are awesome and the only thing better would be airboats or spaceboats.

Swimming is important to me because the alternative is not swimming. Walls are annoying and in a big open world game, I don't want any walls.

RE: hardcore. I find it surprising that people here seem to have an issue with that statement. The endless parade of easy mode theme park games were you wait in line to do the two minutes of instanced rides ad nauseam are played out and boring. There is nothing any recent game has done to even attempt to fix the formula. I want to get back to the idea of an emergent open world where the content is difficult, varied, and fun. Going to a theme park once a year is alright, but everyday? No thanks.

That said, most of the problem with 'hardcore' is that developers mistake tedium for difficulty. Something being a boring, seemingly endless grind is not hardcore. Imposing moronic restrictions is not hardcore. The sooner developers figure this out, the sooner we can have fun, challenging experiences.

RE: underwater combat. I love the complete dismissal of it in the above replies. Underwater combat may be bad in all the listed examples, but the rest if the combat in those games is also bad. I love the idea of more three dimensional combat. On land, having height and height advantages is great. In the water, you can have an entirely different experience. The reason you don't is because it doesn't get the love it deserves. Instead of developing the system, you get the same generic 2D land combat with monsters that are outside your normal field of view. No one takes advantage of it, but that isn't the fault of the water.

RE: costumed content. I understand the disdain, but it is a stepping stone to how a game should be. A bunch of people in boats mashing their boat rotation is as terrible as a bunch of landlubbers mashing their rotations. The idea of a galleon being driven by one guy, the sails managed by another, and the cannons manned by the rest of the crew is what, in my mind, we're working towards.

Imagine a seaside town next to the highlands, overrun by monsters. Today, you might have a few live events where you kill monsters outside the front door for the first stage, then you go through the front door killing monsters for the second, then you kill more inside for the third, finally ending when you kill the boss monster. Then the town switches to good control and you get defend events instead.

In the future, you could have a three pronged assault. Group A fights in front of the town, supported by mages and archers on the surrounding highlands. Group B comes by sea, fighting against sea monsters or monsters with their own boats. The town is defended by artillery that fires at the front lawn and sea. A small Group C infiltrates the town to disable the weapons covertly. Maybe the game supports airships and another group fights through flying monsters to drop players off in the town. After the monsters retreat, the players can secure the town. NPCs that fled will return if they feel safe. If the players utilized heavy artillery and large magical attacks, the damage the town received will need to be repaired and cost resources. If the players choose a precision strike, the town suffers less damage, which allows people to return sooner and with less resource expenditure.

Games are an iterative process. While the in-between steps may not be perfect, they help to led the way to bigger and better things. If we trash every developer who tries and fail and trash every developer before they even try, how do we expect games to ever evolve?

TL;DR: I have high hopes for games and support those that take risks that might lead to the games I want to see.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

This is how the game looks on it's Minimum Specs
    Code:
    - PC Specifications -

Windows7 64Bit Build 7600
    Inter(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.3.GHz
    4,059 MB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    DirectX 11

- Play Options -

Resolution : 1280 x 720
    Screen mode : FullScreen
    Graphics options : Low
    Texture quality : Low

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Final Closed Beta in late September, Open Beta in November
    We’ve got the teaser site now for those frothing for any chance to try and get in on Pearl Abyss’s MMORPG Black Desert.

The game’s final closed beta will be taking in applications at the teaser link from the 2nd of September, with the actual closed beta to happen later that month. The closed beta test will also test out hybrid housing.

Fansite BlackDesert also posted a rundown of all the news that’s known, including the note that the open beta will start from November and will be IP-blocked. There’s also word that an in-game alliance system isn’t planned for the game.
    http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/30...pen-september/
    http://black.game.daum.net/black_teaser/index.daum
    http://black-desert.com/news/black-d...earned-so-far/

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airewen Moonflower
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Thanks to Scion Storm and Render Max for posting these videos.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

http://www.twitch.tv/dvs_gaming

Someone is streaming from 5-9PM PST daily.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

my dick

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Minerva Kissaki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

just release the character creator already > gonna need 100 hours to make my perfect harem

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by shidobu View Post
    just release the character creator already > gonna need 100 hours to make my perfect harem
    Riiiiiiiiight? I need it now.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Darling Chan
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by shidobu View Post
    I feel that feel, and I probably cant even run this game haha. I probably will have a new desktop by the time I'm done making a character I like though lool

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast