1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 23 hours, 4 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 0 hours, 55 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 16 hours, 4 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in -7 hours, -5 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW TGS 2012 Trailer     submit to reddit submit to twitter

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

That's just an estimate for official ARR release. Most of us will be playing beta far before then.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

They've said we can use our character data in the beta. I assume that's why they're ok with it being down that long.

Though I doubt beta data will carry over into 2.0 release.

I remember something about 2 beta phases, like initially we'd be making new chars and later we'd be able to play as our old ones.

Am I remembering that wrong?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    I find it extremely difficult to believe that XIV will be completely offline for ~6 months. There has to be a miscommunication somewhere.
    1-2 months of alpha, 4-5 months of beta, relaunch. What's hard to believe about that?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    I remember something about 2 beta phases, like initially we'd be making new chars and later we'd be able to play as our old ones.

Am I remembering that wrong?
    Your correct, but they never implied that any data would be carried over from beta to 2.0 release which makes it useless (in my opinion) outside of allowing us to test high level content.

Well that would kinda be the point I assume, being able to test the high level content wouldn't be useless.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Perhaps they will allow the use of pre-existing character data during the later beta phases so returning players can test how that whole process works, such as re-rolling race/gender/clan, having numerous achievements/quests/storyline already completed, and dealing with inventory overflow.

I personally wouldn't count on beta progress being saved on said characters though.

I have no desire to play beta unless I can use my char and save progress. It would be very shitty if we got cut off from our characters for 4-6 months.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Apart from testing higher level content, the latter parts of the beta will also be a very important test of the character transfer process. I'm sure they'll have to work out a few bugs with porting the data, and it will be good to have that out of the way before the launch of 2.0.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Color me crazy, but I'm happy with any amount of time that it takes for them to get this right. For me it's not about how fast can they get this out, it's about how good it needs to be to get me to play for years.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Kononeko View Post
    Color me crazy, but I'm happy with any amount of time that it takes for them to get this right. For me it's not about how fast can they get this out, it's about how good it needs to be to get me to play for years.
    This.

Surprised it took this long for someone to say it. 6 months is long but I'd rather get it right than rush.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Exactly.

Spoiler: show
    Still want to play Beta asap though. Need FFXIV 1.X to be just a distant memory.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I mostly want in on this beta ASAP so I can re-learn how to play this game for the 4th time. At least so I know what I am doing to a degree that allows me to get back into working towards relics.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Cichy View Post
    I have no desire to play beta unless I can use my char and save progress. It would be very shitty if we got cut off from our characters for 4-6 months.
    I want to play to test the game, not to continue some attachment with my character. Even if they allowed people to play with their characters, its not like they'd let everyone run around at max level and spoil all of the new content before the game even launches. We'll probably be restricted to starter zones, just like just about every other beta test ever.

End game areas always get handled in-house (which is usually the reason why they're always so broken come launch, ala GW2) anyway.

Dunno why people are getting so uppity about the timeline anyway. SE needs to take 5 years on this if it means getting the shit right and not having yet another collosal flop in the MMO market. Beta >> fix it >> beta >> fix it >> beta >> fix it forever and ever until the shit is tight enough where everyone except the OF players are laughing at the game and the company.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

That's a nice sentiment to have, one I also share, but the fact is no one would wait that long. The problem isn't even the current playerbase either, but if you keep servers down too long after coming off a paid subscription hump it becomes a serious PR issue. Publicity hasn't been great for SE thus far, they really cannot afford to take as long it needs.

^I agree. Also, as much as I want this game to recover and I know how important this beta gonna be I personally dont enjoy them. This isnt your typical situation either. As much as ARR will differ from 1.0 it's still FFXIV for which those of us that are playing been paying for a while. If he shuts down servers for 6 months and cut us off from our characters for that long it will piss off alot of people. Some will say fuck it, some will find something else. It two steps forward one back.
    Imo, best thing to do for them would be to allow current players to bring their character into beta and allow them to save their progress even if we would be limited to playing only in 1 area or w/e. Most new players will go into new servers anyways.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Cichy View Post
    ^I agree. Also, as much as I want this game to recover and I know how important this beta gonna be I personally dont enjoy them. This isnt your typical situation either. As much as ARR will differ from 1.0 it's still FFXIV for which those of us that are playing been paying for a while. If he shuts down servers for 6 months and cut us off from our characters for that long it will piss off alot of people. Some will say fuck it, some will find something else. It two steps forward one back.
    Imo, best thing to do for them would be to allow current players to bring their character into beta and allow them to save their progress even if we would be limited to playing only in 1 area or w/e. Most new players will go into new servers anyways.
    If they can get that done for the beta then why do we have to wait a month for them to port all the character data over. I think we're missing something here.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Yeah my guess there will be this 'officially unofficial' early release(beta) for current players. Retail for both PC and PS3 will open later. This could possibly be the free trial Yoshi was talking about.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Burningthought View Post
    If they can get that done for the beta then why do we have to wait a month for them to port all the character data over. I think we're missing something here.
    I think the porting only takes time because there's a difference between 1.0 and 2.0 data. It's unlikely that a port between 2.0 beta and 2.0 release would take long, if any time at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast