1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 6 hours, 0 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 17 hours, 59 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 23 hours, 0 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 10 hours, 59 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

They were probably still unaware of it at that point.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

What was this money thing people were (ab)using?

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

People spent their never-ending supply of grand company seals on Dawn Drops (10 of them for 15 seals) which then sell to NPCs for 125 gil each. Which meant that for every 15 seals you earned, you could exchange for 1,250 gil.

More math:

1,000 seals exchanged to 83,333 gil.
    3,000 seals exchanged to 249,999 gil.
    25,000 seals exchanged to 2,083,333 gil.
    50,000 seals exchanged to 4,166,666 gil.

This essentially meant that every Over-aspected Cluster was ultimately worth ~250k gil and each Over-aspected Crystal was worth ~21k gil... as long as you had the patience to sit there trading 15 seals for 10 Dawn Drops OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

edit: oops, I derp'd on the crystals.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Are any of the other items exchange worthy into gil still?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    People spent their never-ending supply of grand company seals on Dawn Drops (10 of them for 15 seals) which then sell to NPCs for 125 gil each. Which meant that for every 15 seals you earned, you could exchange for 1,250 gil.

More math:

This essentially meant that every Over-aspected Cluster was ultimately worth 250k gil and each Over-aspected Crystal was worth 83k gil... as long as you had the patience to sit there trading 15 seals for 10 Dawn Drops OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER.
    Wow, pretty crazy. I assume the Clusters were pretty easy to get too, huh?

I never did any of the Atomos content. Last I heard, Seals were (fairly) time consuming to get. Caravans.

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post

More math:

3,000 seals exchanged to 249,999 gil.
    25,000 seals exchanged to 2,083,333 gil.

This essentially meant that every Over-aspected Cluster was ultimately worth 250k gil and each Over-aspected Crystal was worth 83k gil... as long as you had the patience to sit there trading 15 seals for 10 Dawn Drops OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER.
    Er, numbers are a bit off. Crystal was worth 20k and change.

You needed 4 crystals for 1k seals.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

At first, you could easily get about 4 clusters each game day and a handful of crystals if you managed to witness 4 Atomos kills. Each cluster was worth 3,000 seals. That alone meant most people were creating 1 mil+ gil every game day.

After a patch, you couldn't re-obtain the clusters, but you could easily end up with anywhere between 10~30 crystals, and 4 of them are worth 1,000 seals.

I don't know how much they hosed the event now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Er, numbers are a bit off. Crystal was worth 20k and change.

You needed 4 crystals for 1k seals.
    Oops, my derp.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Boo, I only traded in like 800k worth before I got bored. Was gonna do more tonight ; ;

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Now:

Blood Drops sell for 1 gil, 20 for 10 seals. 2,000 gil for 1,000 seals.
    Throat Drops sell for 206 gil, 5 for 60 seals. ~17,098 for 1,000 seals.
    Spine Drops sell for 263 gil, 5 for 100 seals. 13,150 for 1,000 seals.
    Piety Hi-Potion sells for 181 gil, 5 for 50 seals. 18,100 for 1,000 seals.
    Vitality Hi-Potion sells for 194 gil, 5 for 50 seals. 19,400 for 1,000 seals.

Meh.

Vitality Hi-Potions t you 970,000 gil per 50k seals.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Dang, you guys really want that gil. That is so ridiculously tedious. I've obtained ~300 crystals more than I needed for company stuff, and I've just given them all out to friends.

Gil is king.

By the way, you can buy arrows and NPC. A lot slower, but makes each crystal worth 9990g

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Dang, you guys really want that gil. That is so ridiculously tedious. I've obtained ~300 crystals more than I needed for company stuff, and I've just given them all out to friends.
    You know you can sell them in the wards right.

Before the patch you were usually better off selling them on a retainer and doing something else in between Atomos, unless they sold really low on your server you could easily make up the difference (compared to converting them to gil) by any number of casual means.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I maybe want Limsa Bow for my archer, but thats it and I've got nothing else to spend my seals on.

Mights as well make money now. Problem though is I don't know how badly they changed spawn rate for atomos, and prices are already jacked up so i don't know how much itll be worth farming to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Gil is king.

By the way, you can buy arrows and NPC. A lot slower, but makes each crystal worth 9990g
    Wait, you mean close to 40k for every 1,000 seals? But damn thats some tedium.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Enygma Xii
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yeah they still go for 13k/per in the wards. They might go up or they might not depending on supply and demand.

Edit: looks like supply is running down and prices are spiking.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Returning and new players are definitely going to want to start on a brand new server in ARR after this economic boom.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

I like my character but I really feel like starting over tbh, so annoying how if you didn't do these events (not even just this one) the first day or week you get screwed lol. Just tried Atomos and people are wiping, I guess people finished getting what they want. Trying to catch up with the limited play time I have and its just a struggle, probably just better to wait it out.

Except the whole 1/10th gil thing. That shit is Really gonna knock a dent into peoples wallets. I'm only going to have 2.3m-3m when 2.0 launches.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

I just want the company gear, don't care about the gil.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    I just want the company gear, don't care about the gil.
    I'm hoping the weekend brings a few more people out.. Gungnir is looking pretty grim!

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    Returning and new players are definitely going to want to start on a brand new server in ARR after this economic boom.
    Nah, the deflation will take care of that.

Yes, they are correspondingly reducing NPC sale values and quest/leve rewards by 90%. But that says nothing about the all-new mechanisms that will be used to introduce gil in ARR. For all we know, an event just like this one might exist.

[tinfoil hat on]

I think the introduction of gil was intentionally permitted, if not by design. The speed with which they addressed the cluster spamming clearly shows that they were tracking the event; I find it impossible to believe that they would not have noticed that people were using their seals to buy thousands upon thousands of one useless potion.

I think they wanted to increase the amount of gil in circulation just a bit before the deflation. I presume it was not quite at their desired level.