FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Few posts today. Mostly Adoulin teasers, but there was this one also:

Walk of Echoes Weapons

Hey, it's Matsui. Thanks for all of your feedback.

Just want to briefly discuss adjusting the difficulty of obtaining WoE weapons as far as the time to obtain them. The intent of these updates would be to make obtaining the WoE weapons slightly less difficult. We've received a lot of feedback so far, and we will continue to review your feedback for those of you who respond later.

The part about putting the devious dice and liminal residue in pouches is probably fine. For coins, I have heard some propositions from people that does not remove the EX tag. Since we have not yet decided how we want to do this, please continue to give us your opinions.

We also received some replies which suggested making WoE weapons stronger in general. The WoE weapons are not intended to be as strong as Empyrean weapons, so this is not something we will do across the board. While this doesn't mean we won't review the performance of the weapons at all, we would rather lower the cost to obtain the weapons than raise their performance.

Finally, we received some interesting feedback regarding adjustments to Walk of Echoes itself. However, because it would take a lot of time and effort to rework some of the mechanisms behind Walk of Echoes, we will have to take this as a separate consideration with the staff outside the scope of these adjustments.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Adoulin Teasers (Translations from JP forum)

Matsui:

Seekers of Adoulin Website Update Tomorrow!

Good evening, it's Matsui.

It's been so cold recently that it's been painful to get out of bed!

I can finally tell everyone that tomorrow we are unveiling new information about Seekers of Adoulin. I'm definitely looking forward to this, so please stay patient for another day - the website will be renewed tomorrow and a new preview trailer will be published.

The new Seekers of Adoulin information to be released tomorrow will also be published together with interviews we performed with "Playstation Blitz" and "Famitsu Connect!" so I hope you can enjoy it together.

We will continue to convey all kinds of information about Seekers of Adoulin in the future as the opportunities arise, and we are hard at work on the development.

We're looking forward to hearing back from you!

Fujito:

For SoA we'll have plenty of new monsters also.

Want to see? Here's one! I took this photo just a little while ago:

For monsters not exposed in tomorrow's update, if you squint you may see them. I personally recommend Third Eye.

After a bunch of wtf responses from JP-

Mocchi:

Hey www
    I really don't know what he meant! w

Well... because we already showed this monster's art at the Vana'fest, I guess I can remove the mosaic:

Mocchi>> Can I?
    >>Ito OK!

Okay, time to force DC.

Spoiler: show

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Matsui post translation:

*If you have not previously seen the future plans posts from December 4, especially regarding the past discussion of Tabula Rasa and Perfect Defense, please first read that.

Hello!

Thank you for all of your feedback since the version update regarding the new Nyzul, Legion, new Salvage, and Meeble Burrows.

*About the Perfect Defense effectiveness cap at 600 skill

Along with the contents of the adjustment, it should have been conveyed that it is not currently possible to reach 600 skill. There was a misunderstanding between the development team and readers on this point, and I apologize again for not having followed up sooner.

In future posts when we discuss the description of similar adjustments, we will mention something like "while it cannot be reached at present, we anticipate future additions which allow the target to be reached," etc. Since we have different people commenting in various places, it may take some time to change the responses to express this information, but we will review our communication policies.

*About the performance of Embrava
    Part of the reasoning for converting the regain to refresh was to make Embrava a spell that was not only effective for front line jobs, but useful for support jobs as well.

Under the proposed adjustment, there were many proposals from people who wanted changes. We are performing repeated studies with the game content to determine the proper timing for implementing these changes, and we will not implement the change in a halfway manner. When we do make the adjustment, it will be that of the initial proposal.

*About content adjustments
    We have not yet determined to which content the adjustments will be applied. I must talk with the staff regarding adjustments to New Nyzul, Legion, Odin, and Voidwatch (through Provenance) before making any further adjustments. (As a result of this change, we considered it necessary to make the Embrava adjustment specifically for the new Salvage.)

However, regarding Arch Dynamis Lord, because this particular monster drops materials necessary to strengthen relic weapons, we will maintain the status quo and not make any further adjustments.

As for Meeble Burrows, in the beginning of the year when we introduce new expeditions, the new effect of Embrava currently in place in Salvage will also be extended to Meeble Burrows.

As you know, today we published a lot of new information on Seekers of Adoulin. We definitely need to make these adjustments above as we continue with the development work. Thank you very much.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Not really directly FFXI related, but I thought it was an interesting post nonetheless. From Matsui.

Year-End Greeting

This year is the 25th anniversary of Final Fantasy. Since I'm pretty old and I've been around for a while, there have been some requests to talk about my past work with the franchise. Since I have nothing to do with the story of FFXI, and I have a little free time before the new year, I'll talk about something I worked on in the past.

(Note: I'm including spoilers from the Super Famicom version of FFIV, so for those of you who are playing the iPhone version, you're warned.)

I've written about this in a few places before, but the team that I was first assigned to was the FFIV team.

I also previously wrote that my first work there was on the memory mapping. This was my first official job, although I had worked on other things informally in the past.

At the time, each desk at Square had a Mac on a LAN configured with AppleTalk. Mr. Sakaguchi started a discussion about the unfinished plot of FFIV over the LAN and the development staff and I were able to post a lot of our ideas and complaints. It was a nice working environment.

For some reason, they trusted my idea to change the plot associated with Gilbert to show his extreme devotion. In Sakaguchi's original plot, after Anna's death, when Gilbert woke up, he suddenly was hugely successful in battle. I convinced Sakaguchi that this should not be the case.

Just because she died doesn't mean he should become skilled in battle. It didn't really make sense to suddenly give him battle skills which he never learned, and I really tried to convince Sakaguchi of this. I finally got Sakaguchi to be enthusiastic about my idea and asked him to change the flow of the game to be like the current plot of FFIV.

It may have only been a small change to the game, but we decide that Gilbert will save the party by singing. I think it was a pretty good change, though.

With that, happy new year everyone!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Not much else was posted today on the official forums, but there was one thing worth noting. On the development side right now, they've eliminated the opening/closing animations from the menu interface to allow faster movement through the various menus. They're pushing it through QA now and it should be in the game soon if all goes well.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics...30/detail.html

The Unfurling Tales of the Mystical Waypoints (12/28/2012)

It's me—Zurko-Bazurko. Yes, the Zurko-Bazurko you all know and love.

How are you enjoying the waypointarus? Quite convenient, no? I'm here today to explainy-wain to all interested parties about how exactly these magic devices work, and what the purpose behind them is.

Our story-wory starts on a trip bound for the continent of Quon. We were accompanying the esteemed Anastase to the Middle Lands. I stood on the deck, casting a runic spell to watch over the vessel, when our mastaru began a treatise on the waypoints and their energies. The memory of that lecture burns fresh in my mind to this day.

Don't holdy-wold back. Read the secrets within for yourself.

* Note from the editor: Zurko-Bazurko's ramblings were a bit...abrasive, so we have taken the liberty of altering certain terms and expressions to make them more palatable for a general audience.

"Doctorrr Anastase, it's time to feed me!" meowed Quwi Orihbhe, one member of the expedition from Adoulin.

"But Quwi, you have only just eaten. Ugh... I suppose it cannot be helped..."

Anastase, the leader of the ragtag group, shook his head in disappointment as he removed several jungle cookies from his pouch.

"Thank you, doctor! I predicted long ago that you would acquiesce."

Zurko-Bazurko, rune fencer in training, bit his lower lip as he nervously eyed Quwi Orhibhe chowing down on the cookies as if she had been lost in the forest with nothing to eat for weeks.

"What a pathetic-wetic girl you are," he chortled. "Cookies here, cookies there, and never once has the vortex you call a tummy ever known the feeling of satiation."

The vessel carrying the intrepid explorers set sail from Adoulin, charting a course for Quon across the eastern Sea of Zafmlug. The waves around the continent of Ulbuka being quite fierce, the crew had to take every precaution to ensure that their vessel did not capsize. This meant taking a bit of a detour, and seven-and-a-half days had already passed since they set out on their voyage.

Many of them were unsure just what living at sea would be like. Wistful Bison, for instance, had never before set foot on a ship, and his head swirled back and forth with each rise, fall, and shift of the vessel.

"Why...why me? It's that damned Chero-Machero and his stupid ideas that doomed me to suffer this voyage. I'd give me right arm if he would just once work off instinct instead of intellect...."

"It's just one of the Minister of Commerce's many plans, silly! Though I guess we'll be lucky to return in once piece, tee hee."

Jillia, who had been dispatched from the Scouts' Coalition, lightly patted Wistful Bison on the back as she tried to console him in her own special way.

"Doctor Anastase, we're going to the Middle Lands to setaru up these transportation modules, right?"

Zurko-Bazurko pointed toward the back of the cabin, where several magical devices made of a lustrous yellow metal lay dormant.

"That is correct. These waypoints are prototypes of a sort. And now that I think of it, the divinations of Quwi Orihbhe will be paramount in ensuring the success of our journey."

"Leave it to me...sorrrt of. I mean, I'll do my best, but don't expect the moon!"

Quwi Orihbhe certainly wasn't letting her lack of confidence keep her down. Zurko-Bazurko, exasperated with the situation, muttered under his breath, "And this is supposed to be the Zurk's big chance to impress Amchuchu. He won't faily-wail this time, even if he has to inscribe runes across this whole stupid ship!"

"Amchuchu? You mean the Inventors' Coalition meister?"

Zurko-Bazurko graciously condescended to acknowledge Jillia's question. "Well, you see, she's been absolutely smitten-witten with those new technicians from Quon. The Zurk couldn't be more dissappointarued in the way she fawns over those young upstarts. His tales of battle far outstrip anything those pompous morons have on offer!"

"Have you gone completely off your rocker? You can't even clip the legs off a chapuli!"

Quwi Orihbhe sure knew how to hit where it hurts.

"Grrrrrraaah! The Zurk's runes have attained sentience and no longer respond to his commands!!"

Anastase brushed his disciples' outburst aside, having witnessed similar scenes many times before. "Be that as it may, the hour of our arrival is close at hand."

Jillian stepped in, questioning, "So, Anastase, what's the deal with these waypoints? Wistful Bison must be quite interested in the answer, too."

"I suppose the time is right to share the story with you. Although I must admit I know precious little about them myself.

"I shall attempt to keep this brief. The science behind warping takes advantage of geomagnetic energies and has existed for centuries upon centuries. It is this technology upon which the foundation of the waypoints is laid. Yet only in recent ages have we been able to harness the power via magical devices."

Jillia bobbed her head up and down in acknowledgment. "Wow, it's been that long? That's splenderiffic!"

"Historical documents imply that these devices have turned the tides of battle more than once. But when exploration of Ulbuka became prohibited, they fell into disuse for many years."

Quwi Orihbe, yet another cookie stuffed into the side of her left cheek, blurted out between bites, "B-but what an enorrrmous washte!"

"That they are, young one. However, when the First King sealed off the continent, more likely than not the lack of resources on the outlying islands led to the technology's downfall. And of course, with no colonization to speak of, there was no reason to go beyond Jorius Yett. It may be most accurate to say that the devices had filled their roles admirably, but that their services were no longer needed.

"Returning to the topic of controlling these machines, it was only—what, a little over a decade ago—when an erudite woman visited Adoulin, bringing with her details of magical, runic warping technologies."

"'Runic technologies?' So rootarus are the same as the Zurk's"

Anatase let Zurko-Bazurko's interruption slide, and continued with his explanation.

"We unearthed some fascinating documents about these magical devices hidden away in the deepest recesses of the Celennia Wexworth Memorial Library, and combined what we found there with the information she brought us. The waypoints we use every day in Adoulin are a result of this chance collaboration. We have received a veritable gift, indeed."

"You keep mentioning this woman. C'mon, you gotta tell us who she is!"

"Look, everyone, before us stands the continent of Quon in all its splendor!" Anastase deflected Jillia's inquiry as he pointed across the horizon.

Indeed, the vast and variegated Middle Lands stood before them, rising out from behind vast reaches of the sea.

"Land ho!"
    "The Zurk shall leave his marky-wark upon this new land!"
    "A brrrave new world! New fish! This is gonna be awesome!"
    "..."

Three cheers...and one unfortunate mishap rang out across the deck.

Anastase squinted at the light glinting off the surface of the sea, eyes trained straight ahead on the ever-growing harbor in the distance, devices at the ready as he focused on the next aspect of their mission.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics...10/detail.html
    Perilous Procession

"Of course it has to be Leviathan. He's perfect for this!" one of my party members squawked with glee.

"See, this is the year of the snake, and guess what Leviathan is? You'd be hard pressed to find anyone around here who hasn't heard of the Great Sea Serpent," he continued with a mischievous smirk so unbefitting of a white mage.

Still, it was hard to disputaru his logic. The story of Veydal, the "One-eyed Demon," and his heroic battle with Leviathan has been handed down for generations all over Quon and Mindartia. While it may not be as prevalent a tale in the Far East or that rumored land to the west, there is probably no more fitting avatar to represent this year's festivities in the three nations.

Bitter though I was, I couldn't help but nod in ascension-wenscion.

Yet this situation may not be all gloom and doom. Looking on the brightaru side of things, this could be the perfect chance to prove my worth as a summoner. Now that this parade of yearly deities has become an annual affair, spectators have been wondering what's in store for the year of the snake. If I were to summon Leviathan and have him lead the procession-wession, my deeds could very well be sung by minstrels across the continent. Every adventurer would know my name wherever I wentaru!

Everything was falling into place after all.

However, I can't let my guard down; it was exactly this kind of carelessness that led to my failure-wailure before...

"Oh yeah, you summoned Fenrir a couple of years ago, too, didn't you? Then this should be a piece of memorial cake for you."

How is this sadistaru even my friend!? It's almost as if he delights in tearing my heart open and pouring salt directly in wounds!

Those past events are exactly where I'd like to keep them. I don't need to be reminded of how pathetic I looked chasing helplessly an out-of-control Fenrir around the outskirts of town. At least other adventurers were nice enough to help, and the whole scene got considered "good luck" after the fact, or I'd never be able to show my face in the Middle Lands again!

Come to think of it, isn't that around the time when adventurers began paying visits to these deific parades to usher in the New Year...? Could I actually be responsible for getting this custom-wustom off the ground!?

"Relax; you'll do fine this year, procession prowler!"
    "The last thing I need is a stupid-wupid nickname!"

If history were to repeataru itself, that ridiculous moniker would surely stick. Forgetaru just the Middle Lands—I'd have to vanish-wanish off the face of Vana'diel!

"You're listing harder than a queasy Quadav. Maybe you're not Taru enough for the task after all..."
    "How darey-ware you bring my Taruhood into question!"
    "Then you'll summon Leviathan for us, right?"
    "...Alrightaru."

How much of an idiot could I be, taken in by his goading-woading grin and extravagant bravado?

Now, my worst fears have come to fruition—history's repeated itself and I can barely breathe after chasing Leviathan for so long. The ashen skies above the sooty Gustaberg terrain reflectaru what's happened to my chance for fame all too clearly. With each ponderous step I take, I fall further behind until all hope of catching him and restoring my honor has been snuffed out. What a mockery! If Leviathan's a sea serpent, what's he doing soaring through the air?

I've had it up to here with his selfish-welfish shenanigans!

The only thing left for me to do now is lie down and countaru the seconds until my energy runs out. That ornery ophidian may have gotten the best of me for now, but I'll have the last laugh. He needs my mental energy to exist in this realm, so once he expends it all, it's back to the astral-wastral plane with him!

Just then, Leviathan stopped his leisurely airborne swim and looked back at me. His expression seemed almost disappointarued, suggesting, "That's all you've got? I thought you were better than this."

Yes, that's all I've got! I don't care anymore! I'm just sicky-wick of this! I ran after Fenrir seven years ago, and now I'm running aftaru you. What do you want from me!?

"Daddy, look! It's a weawy big snake!"

"That's right, son. This year's deity is the snake, so that feller up there's gonna bring us some good luck."

"Deewity?"

"Yup. Pay your respects and you might even get that toy you keep bugging me about."

In my torpor, I looked over to see some wayfarers bathed in the azure light castaru by the reflection of the first sun's rays off Leviathan's scales. Their heads were bowed so deeply that one would think they were praying-waying to Altana herself for salvation.

"Daddy, will good tinks happen to us because we paid our wespeks?"

"Hopefully business will be better than last year. I've heard some scary things about Adoulin, but it's also got a lot of resources that just can't be found here."

The child didn't seem to understand his father's words, as he looked up at his parentaru and cocked his head to one side quizzically. Even though his son hadn't fully grasped the situation, or maybe precisely because he didn't, the man reached out and ruffled the child's hair in reassurance.

If Leviathan were to vanish into thin air right before these two, they'd most certainly take it as an ill omen from the Goddess-Woddess.

This isn't the time to be wallowing in pity-wity over delusions of grandeur that didn't pan out!

I didn't have much on hand, but I removed the bottle of kitron juice I'd stored in my knapsack and gulped it down as fast as possible. If I was going to restore what little energy I had left, this would have to do. As I tossed the pit away and stood up with renewed vigor, Leviathan immediately returned to floataruing effortlessly along the wind current, far out of my reach. Yet that didn't seem like a problem at all.

What I'd assumed was a cruel twist of fate but moments before had metamorphosed into a divine mission. I quickly cast a protection spell upon the two travelers and dashed after that saltaruy slitherer with a new sense of purpose. No longer did he seem an adversary, but rather a partner in prosperity.

I'll show you how smartaru I am, Leviathan! I'll have you in my graspy-wasp before you can say, "Fame and fortune!"

As if he could read my thoughts, Leviathan turned his scaly head in my direction once more and cracked a smile.

Story: Miyabi Hasegawa

Event Schedule

The 2013 New Year event will slither in to the three nations at 7:00 a.m. on Tuesday, December 31, 2012 (PST), and slip away at 12:00 a.m. on Thursday, January 10, 2013 (PST).

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

New Year Greetings

Akihiko Matsui

Happy new year!

We listened carefully to your opinions last year, and this year, in addition to that, we want to focus on delivering our vision for FFXI to you.

Please allow me to speak generally for now. First of all, I will try my hardest to increase the satisfaction of all the adventurers who are currently playing. Then, in the hopes that those who were once adventurers will return to FFXI, I plan to make changes to the specifications of content and the degree of difficulty.

This year, we will be releasing Seekers of Adoulin. We had a nice winter break, but now we're working at full throttle until the end of March.

Thanks again and best wishes for the near year!

* Because of the new year, I'm sorry that posts have slowed down a little. I will continue to post more and more frequently, starting tomorrow.

Mizuki Ito

Happy new year!

Last year, we were completely engaged in the development of Adoulin, and we are now in the home stretch towards delivering our work.

The team has a great deal of work already set for this year, but unlike last year, where we did not devote personnel to the forum, for this year, I am speaking with the producer about having a system in place where we can better respond to the feedback from the forum.

Of course, Adoulin is also coming, and I'm greatly anticipating its release. Thank you again, this year in FFXI will be a great one!

forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/29403-Spinet-Playlist?p=392225#post392225
    Quote Originally Posted by Okipuit
    Greetings!

First off, thank you for all your feedback regarding the Spinet and Orchestrion! We'd like to respond to some feedback you guys provided:

Quote Originally Posted by Tile
    would be nice if we could lock the songs so that everytime we enter it would play the song we selected last.
    We are looking into the current setup to see what can be done about this. We'll be sure to update you all on the status as we move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakesandsx
    Okipuit:
    ...when you have the Orchestrion installed, the spinet stops randomly selecting a track when you enter the mog house, and instead you have to manually select your tune every single time you enter. This is really frustrating!
    The orchestrion controls the features of the spinet, so the random selection of tracks will stop.
    If we gave priority to the spinet’s random selection when the orchestrion is installed, it would result in the below inconveniences:

It will no longer be possible to select spinet tracks as you like
    If you want to play a song other than what’s on the spinet, you’d have to remove the spinet each time.

To have the spinet play songs at random all you need to do is remove the orchestrion, so I believe this way of doing it creates the least amount of undesirable results.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakesandsx
    when you have the Orchestrion installed, the control panel for it is RIGHT next to the door! This causes it to be inadvertently auto-targeted when I am trying to leave my mog house, and I get stuck in an "npc cutscene" that I can't just cancel out of with the cancel button.
    We are seeing if it is possible to move the location of the Symphonic Curator. We'll let you know once we receive word!

Quote Originally Posted by Yrusama
    Autumn Footfalls would be lovely. I'll reiterate my question from a thread I made yesterday: might we see more tracks added to the Orchestrion?
    We appreciate the feedback! We will be making it so songs can be added, and we will use everyone's suggestions as reference for future decisions. Please wait a bit for when and how you can add songs!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Hello!

Thanks for all your responses regarding battle mechanics.

While this proposal includes many different adjustments, instead of thinking of these as individual projects, please consider this more of a general battle adjustment.

Near the end of last year there was a lot of talk about policies, however, because specifics were not mentioned, it was difficult to continue the discussion. By giving some of the ideas about the battle system in consideration by the development team, we can move the discussion forward.

Please note that none of the details have been completely confirmed, and I am not saying that this is all we will do to adjust the overall battle system.

The intent of these adjustments are not to solve everything that you have talked about, but they are just meant to be a starting point.

Balancing One-Handed and Two-Handed Weapons
    There has been a lot of discussion on the forum about making adjustments to one-handed weapons.

As far as the status of the correction and how it will be applied, as compared to two handed-weapons, there is a higher need to use food or other choices to increase accuracy and land hits.

As an example, we may increase the correction values of the main weapon slot for one-handed weapons. We are considering adjustments in that kind of direction.

About Dark Knight
    I have been reviewing discussion threads such as "Is Dark Knight too strong?" and I realize as I commented at Vana'fest that they have become stronger over time. At the same time, we put off many of the adjustments that were initially considered, but many people remembered these and were still interested.

For Dark Knight, we plan to make adjustments to Last Resort and Desperate Blows.

In the current situation, for all jobs, the equipment/magic haste maximum is the same. However, as far as abilities go, Desperate Blows is, by far, the highest value of all of them.

If we simply reduced the value of Desperate Blows then it would just become weaker, so, instead, we will reduce the value of Desperate Blows but also move some percentage of the haste effect to Last Resort:

Current status:
    * Desperate Blows Haste maximum +25% (assuming 5 merits)
    Adjustment:
    * Desperate Blows: Haste maximum +10% (assuming 5 merits)
    * Last Resort: Haste +15%

To clarify, we will make this adjustment so that the haste is effective even if you have your sub job set to Dark Knight.

Presently, it's difficult to imagine a situation in which someone would choose dark knight as a sub job. However, I think after this adjustment, a number of new possibilities will be opened up to allow it to be considered.

Regarding Defense
    We have received a lot of feedback that there are really very few benefits of increasing defense, and to increase those benefits. For the so-called attack/defense ratio, in the higher ranges where the meaning of this is reduced, I would like that meaning to be retained.

For example, I want there to be a noticeable difference as far as lowering the damage taken by raising defense, with significant noticeable benefits for abilities such as Defender. On the flip side, for effects that decrease defense like Last Resort, the damage taken should be even higher than before.

About Merit Point Weapon Skills
    Another significant set of requests I've received were in this thread about raising the maximum on the merit point weapon skill category. Rather than making this adjustment, we are considering adjusting the weapon skill correction value so that there is a benefit to using these even at the first upgrade level.

The correction value will be raised to 65% at the first stage, up to 85% at the fifth stage; 5% per stage. (This means no change to the maximum.)

About Elemental Magic
    We've received a wide variety of suggestions about elemental magic. First off, let's start with adjustment to the damage.

Instead of just having lower initial damage, the earth attribute will also improve MP cost performance. In addition, there will be a stronger INT correction as well. By being aware of the INT levels, the associated damage may be brought closer to that of lightning.

By element:
    * MP efficiency: Earth > Water > Wind > Fire > Ice > Lightning
    * INT compensation: Earth > Water > Wind > Fire > Ice > Lightning
    * Initial damage amount: Lightning > Ice > Fire > Wind > Water > Earth
    * Maximum damage amount: Lightning > Ice > Fire > Wind > Water > Earth

By tier:
    * MP efficiency: I > II > III > IV > V
    * INT compensation: V > IV > III > II > I
    * Initial damage: V > IV > III > II > I
    * Maximum damage: V > IV > III > II > I

* The values below have no magic attack power adjustments
    * INT+0 and INT+100 on the table represent the difference between the caster's and target's INT.

Code:
    I 	     INT+0	    INT+100
    	Before	After	Before	After
    Stone	10	10	42	160
    Water	16	25	66	165
    Aero	25	40	92	170
    Fire	35	55	108	175
    Blizz	46	70	126	180
    Thunder	60	85	149	185

II 	     INT+0	    INT+100
    Stone	78	100	175	350
    Water	95	120	195	355
    Aero	113	140	213	360
    Fire	133	160	233	365
    Blizz	155	180	255	370
    Thunder	178	200	278	375

III 	     INT+0	    INT+100
    Stone	210	200	360	550
    Water	236	230	386	560
    Aero	265	260	415	570
    Fire	295	290	445	580
    Blizz	320	320	470	590
    Thunder	345	350	495	600

IV 	     INT+0	    INT+100
    Stone	381	400	581	850
    Water	410	440	610	865
    Aero	440	480	640	880
    Fire	472	520	672	895
    Blizz	506	560	706	910
    Thunder	541	600	741	925

V 	     INT+0	    INT+100
    Stone	626	650	855	1200
    Water	680	700	909	1220
    Aero	734	750	967	1240
    Fire	785	800	1014	1260
    Blizz	829	850	1058	1280
    Thunder	874	900	1103	1300

For casting time and recast time, we will do the following. We plan to eliminate the differences between the casting/recast times within magic tiers. For example, all tier I nukes will have 0.5 second cast time and 2 second recast time.

Code:
    I 	     MP Cost	    Cast Time	  Recast Time
    	Before	After	Before	After	Before	After
    Stone	9	4	1.5	0.5	6.5	2
    Water	13	10	1.75	0.5	7.75	2
    Aero	18	16	2	0.5	9	2
    Fire	24	22	2.25	0.5	10.25	2
    Blizz	30	28	2.5	0.5	11.5	2
    Thunder	37	34	3	0.5	13	2

II 	     MP Cost	    Cast Time	  Recast Time
    Stone	43	36	3.25	1.5	14.5	6
    Water	51	43	3.5	1.5	15.75	6
    Aero	59	51	3.75	1.5	17	6
    Fire	68	60	4.25	1.5	18.5	6
    Blizz	77	68	4.5	1.5	19.75	6
    Thunder	86	77	4.75	1.5	21	6

III 	     MP Cost	    Cast Time	  Recast Time
    Stone	92	64	5.25	3	22.5	15
    Water	98	75	5.5	3	24	15
    Aero	106	88	5.75	3	25.25	15
    Fire	113	101	6	3	26.5	15
    Blizz	120	115	6.25	3	27.75	15
    Thunder	128	129	6.75	3	29.25	15

IV 	     MP Cost	    Cast Time	  Recast Time
    Stone	138	112	7	6	30.75	30
    Water	144	129	7.25	6	32	30
    Aero	150	148	7.5	6	33.25	30
    Fire	157	169	8	6	34.75	30
    Blizz	164	190	8.25	6	36	30
    Thunder	171	213	8.5	6	37.25	30

V 	     MP Cost	    Cast Time	  Recast Time
    Stone	222	156	8.75	10	39	45
    Water	239	182	9.25	10	40.25	45
    Aero	255	210	9.5	10	41.5	45
    Fire	270	240	9.75	10	42.75	45
    Blizz	282	272	10	10	44	45
    Thunder	294	306	10.25	10	45.5	45

Based on these, we will continue with the adjustments of other elemental magic.

Regarding Content
    First, we plan to make adjustments to the new Nyzul, Legion, Odin's Chamber II, Voidwatch (through Provenance Watcher), [old] Salvage, and Walk of Echoes. We will consider making adjustments to new Salvage in the future as the need arises. The adjustments to each content being considered are as follows:

New Nyzul
    * Adjust the range of random warps moving up the tower.

Legion
    * Adjust the level of monsters that appear
    * Adjust the attack and defense power of monsters

Odin's Chamber II

Voidwatch
    * Increase the scope of Void clusters to include Provenance (including Provenance Watcher).

Salvage
    * Review the drop rate of level 35 equipment
    * Adjust Bhaflau Remnants to have the equipment that drops from NM also drop from other monsters.

Walk of Echoes
    * Remove the EX attribute from the various coins
    * Add pouches from which multiple devious dice or liminal residues can be obtained.

While we will continue to adjust as necessary after this, if you cannot immediately win a battle in a short period of time, please continue to keep trying different techniques and strategies. \

Again, please note that this is not meant to be all-inclusive. There are many other items under consideration (including enmity and TP given), and we have to decide on when to make these implementations and in what order.

Thanks for your time!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Translation of some responses to feedback on the post above.

--------------------------------

Hello!

Thanks for your feedback.

We've taken a look at the feedback we've received about the possible adjustments and we'd like to address a few of the questions that have been raised.

Even though the proposal mentions that the adjustment is specifically for DRK, assuming the Haste from Last Resort will apply to one-handed weapons, I think the combination of the one-handed weapon correction you mention in the post plus strengthening Last Resort will be enoug for one-handed weapons to catch up with two-handed weapons.
    Hold on a minute...because of Dual Wield I have close to 80% delay reduction... does this mean I can cut some of the Dual Wield for one-handed weapons?
    The Haste effect planned to be granted to Last Resort will, along with that of Desperate Blows, only be applicable to two-handed weapons. The overlap of the effects would be too significant if the delay reduction applied to one-handed weapons (because of Dual Wield) or to hand-to-hand weapons (because of Martial Arts).

I'm afraid that adjustments to hand-to-hand weapons are going to get lost in the mix between one-handed and two-handed adjustments.
    In the adjustments regarding balancing one-handed and two-handed melee weapons, hand-to-hand weapons will also be included and considered along with one-handed weapons.

However, since the performance of one-handed and hand-to-hand weapons differ significantly, they won't be treated uniformly (for example, the adjustment of "increasing the correction value of the one-handed weapon in the main weapon slot" which was talked about previously will be significantly different for hand-to-hand weapons).

Considering the unique circumstances around hand-to-hand, we will continue to make the adjustments separately.

Regarding elemental magic, would this also hold true for magic casted by automatons?
    The elemental magic adjustment does also apply to magic used by the automaton. [[edited:]] While stats can be raised on the automaton, it's easy to Overload while doing so, and we will take this into account when we look at the balance of the adjustment.

-------------

In our next response, we will talk about the planned adjustments regarding the attack/defense ratio and the power of defense. Please continue the discussion and provide your feedback!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Interesting stuff. Another interesting post coming after this one, too. I also translated their new disclaimer which is kinda lulzy.

Defense (Attack/Defense Ratio)

Regarding the contents of the post above [[Matsui's original post]], we are considering adjustments to the attack/defense ratio as follows.

At very low defense, damage taken does not increase.

At present, there is an upper limit on the offense/defense ratio.

Depending on the opponent's attack value, if the player's defense value is 50% or higher, the damage reduction will increase. If the player's defense value is less than 50%, the damage reduction will be the same as if it was 50%.

Because of this, even though combining Last Resort and Berserk greatly reduces defense, for example, the damage reduction does not fall as significantly.

----New Proposal
    The maximum reduction will be calculated from the attack/defense ratio, and the upper limit of the calculated ratio will be increased such that when defense is very low, damage taken will continue to increase.

When defense is raised, damage taken is not reduced
    This is mainly against higher level enemies and occurs because of something called level difference correction. The attack/defense ratio is calculated and impacted by each one level difference, reducing the calculated defensive power by some extent.

----New Proposals
    1. For new monsters created, starting with Seekers of Adoulin, create them such that the level difference correction will not apply. We would compensate for this by adjusting monsters' attack values, defense values, and stats.

2. Eliminate level difference correction. By eliminating the level difference correction, you will be able to more significantly reduce damage taken by increasing defense as expected.

----

The text above was what I was able to confirm directly with the person in charge of the team discussion. The information included has not been finalized.

Since this post is about content in development, the information is not confirmed and information included may change. It is possible that there is a lack of information or clarity, or errors included, and, if so, the content will be edited at a later date.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Additional stuff translated below.

Content Adjustments

Regarding the contents of the post above [[Matsui's original post]], we are considering adjustments as follows.

New Nyzul

The reasoning behind using Embrava is to greatly increase the speed of defeating enemies. Rather than adjusting the random warp pattern any further, we have decided to modify the strength of enemies.

• Defense Adjustment
      For enemies with certain weaknesses, allow attacks against those weaknesses to do further increased damage.
    • Level Adjustment (further adjustments may be needed)
      • Floors 1~20: Reduce enemy levels by 10
      • Floors 21~40: Reduce enemy levels by 7
      • Floors 41~60: Reduce enemy levels by 4
      • Floors 61~80: Reduce enemy levels by 2
      • Floors 80~100: No change

Legion

Adjustment of HP, defense, and attack strength.

As mentioned previously, we are considering eliminating the level difference correction values for the attack/defense ratio. If we move in this direction, adjusting the level of the monsters at the same time will make the monsters that appear too weak, so we would not adjust their levels. We are still considering HP adjustments along with the attack/defense adjustments.

Odin's Chamber II

Adjustment of HP, defense, and attack strength.

Similarly to Legion, if we adjust the attack/defense ratio by eliminating level correction and level at the same time, the monsters would become too weak, so we would not adjust their levels. We are still considering HP adjustments along with the attack/defense adjustments.

----

The text above was what I was able to confirm directly with the person in charge of the team discussion. The information included has not been finalized.

Since this post is about content in development, the information is not confirmed and information included may change. It is possible that there is a lack of information or clarity, or errors included, and, if so, the content will be edited at a later date.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

First of many translations. The others are likely less important than this one, however:

----

Based on the previous posts [see below, posts #163-#165 in this thread], we've readjusted and clarified our proposal (summarized below). Since none of this has yet been confirmed, please check out the original post for the basis.

Proposals
    • Plans for adjustment to the attack/defense ratio
      • Adjust the maximum damage taken calculation based on the attack/defense ratio such that when a player's defense is low, the damage taken will continue to increase.
      • Raise the maximum attack/defense ratio of one-handed weapons to 2.25 (the same as two-handed weapons).
    • Plans for adjustment to level difference correction
      • When a player's defense is high compared to the monster's attack, adjust the level difference correction to reduce damage taken.
      • Adjust the strength of new monsters created started with Seekers of Adoulin such that level difference correction is not applied. [To create difficult battles,] we will compensate by increase the monsters' attack, defense, and attributes.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Gonna highlight this one and probably post the rest all together. I hope they make good on this, I've been saying for the past month or longer that the best way to bring certain jobs back into the spotlight would be to to add tons of enemies that have significant specific defensive weaknesses to the point where it actually makes sense to alter your party setup and/or battle strategy.

----

There are no plans at the moment to make any adjustments to weapons that deal non-attribute damage. We understand that these weapons are very strong (Matsui was weeping...).

We mentioned this a little while ago, but in the areas of equipment, based on the fact that we will continue to add a large amount of weapons with higher DMG values, the use of these should gradually become more and more limited.

Regarding monsters, we've had features like monsters vulnerable to blunt, or piercing, or physical attacks in general, but rather than limiting the damage of attacks that aren't specific weaknesses, we believe it would be a better direction to increase the damage dealt by specific kinds of attacks (think about Qutrubs, for example).

Based on this, the likelihood that we will continue to add weapons that deal non-attribute damage is extremely low.

We hope this addresses some of your concerns so far.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Thought I'd separate this one out too because it answers some questions we've had about which directions the level correction will apply. As some people have assumed, it will only correspond to monster attack vs. player defense (not monster defense vs. player attack).

----

[[Quoted concerns that completely eliminating level correction would hugely throw off balance in favor of certain jobs and make some things far too easy.]]

In my previous post, I mentioned that we were considering that we might "eliminate level difference correction."

What the term "level difference correction" was intended to mean was that we would ensure that the damage taken is reduced by increasing defense. In other words, we meant "level difference correction to monster attack power."

As far as your concerns such as ranged attacks becoming far more effective by removing the level correction, there are no plans to make any adjustments to "level difference correction to monster defense power."

If we completely eliminated level difference correction, from the point of view of low-level players, there would be a concern that monsters with a very different level (>= +20 levels) would be far too easily defeated.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

[[Quoted posts mentioning the performance improvement in Gallant's Roll that will come out of the changes as well as the negative impact on jobs that use abilities that decrease defense. More questions about how greatly this will impact battles where the monster is lower level than the player]]

The level difference correction is only effective for monsters that are high levels as compared to players. It does not affect monsters that are near the same level as the player. So, do not think that you will suddenly take more damage from higher level monsters and weaker monsters will suddenly be effortless battles.

However, we will also be adjusting the attack/defense ratio.

If you are closer to the monster's level and you raise your defense above the typical ~500, the ratio will be better adjusted in your favor and the damage taken will be lowered. On the other hand, if your defense is significantly lower, the damage taken will increase.

The idea is to give a benefit to defense so that defense will lower risk more than ever before. We will support this with abilities and additionally with new types of equipment and food.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Last few, all together.

----

[[Quoted post talking about all the different ratio caps for attack/defense depending on the type of weapon]]

As part of the adjustment, the attack/defense ratio limit will be increased to 2.25 for one-handed weapons (like two-handed weapons). Whether this is a good value or whether you want further adjustment, please let us know.

[[Quoted post asking that while they are messing with the attack/defense ratio if they could also adjust WS that ignore enemy defense (e.g. Piercing Arrow, Quietus, etc.)]]

At present, we do not plan to make any adjustments to weapon skills that ignore enemy defense.

[[Quoted post from an obviously angry MNK who is saying that the change will make Counterstance basically unusable in many situations.]]

For Counterstance, it is possible that we will make a separate adjustment.

[[More questions about how the level correction stuff will work]]

Please regard the level difference correction as a modification to monster attack power. We are separately considering making the modification to raise the upper limit on the attack/defense ratio for one-handed weapons to be equal to that of two-handed weapons, which should allow or one-handed weapons to be a weapon of choice in more situations.

[[Quoted post saying that back-line jobs that don't get a lot of defense might get shafted with some of the attack/defense ratio changes.]]

For back line jobs, the main role can be done at a distance, so you should be able to reduce the frequency of taking damage as compared to front-line jobs. However, we will include new effects such as support from party members and food effects, and at the same time, for future monsters implemented, we will pay close attention to the amount of damage and range of damage dealt by monster skills.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Translations. Probably the most interesting thing here is the feedback from Matsui about upcoming info about enmity and changes to the system. I find the apparent hatred for Twilight Scythe to also be interesting, though, as I've never really seen that on the English-speaking side.

[Quoted post about defense adjustment]

You have clearly summed up what we've tried to express so far. The adjustments you refer to are the ones that will be performed, i.e.:
    • The upper limit on damage taken will be increase.
    • Damage taken will be able to be reduced further than it is currently.

That's it.

[Quoted post about adjusting the enmity cap so that PLD is actually useful, etc.]

With respect to enmity, we will also make adjustments.

For further discussion as far as how we will change this, I gave Matsui an opportunity to explain.

From Matsui:

"We will also disclose the current formula, so please give me a little more time to put together my response."

We'll trust that he will stick to his comment, so please excuse the lack of information in this post.

[Quoted post saying that the defense adjustments are not only going to potentially hurt back line jobs like yesterday's post said, but also front line jobs with lightweight equipment such as THF and NIN.]

Regarding jobs with lightweight equipment

Since there was a concern raised about this, I'd like give a response to this point.

The defense of lightweight and heavy equipment are not exactly the same; however, we plan to raise the defense ratings of both types of gear [not clear whether he's referring to past gear or just future gear; likely just future]. We do not want to create a situation where you are afraid to fight.

As examples mentioned in posts by others, we would like to introduce a little mode Damage Taken-% type equipment and increase the evasiveness of these jobs by various means.

[Quoted post saying that raising the attack/defense cap on 1H weapons to match 2H is not the kind of change they should be making and is too simple of a response. He's saying that right now 2H weapons are both more accurate and more powerful than 1H, and a good, sensible resolution to this would be to leave it so that 2H weapons are more powerful but make 1H weapons are more accurate than 2H.]

Regarding the change to raise the attack/defense ratio cap on 1H weapons to match the 2.25 cap on 2H weapons, please let me first point out that this is just a proposal and is certainly not the only idea that we have.

As with what you're proposing, we'd like to go in a direction that gives a unique characterization to each weapon type, and we will consider these adjustments in stages.

[Ton of posts about non-attribute damage weapons and how they function against monsters with shields up.]

Thank you for your feedback about non-attribute damage weapons.

Regarding Twilight Scythe, let me briefly summarize the kinds of feedback we've noticed so far:
    • Keep it as it is.
    • It needs to be adjusted.
      • Lower the DMG rating
      • Change the effect to be like Murasamemaru (non-attribute WS damage)
      • Add more jobs that can equip it

Regarding the jobs that can equip it, this will not be part of the resolution. For the other possible resolutions (or if you're in favor of leaving it as is), please give us your opinions once again.

The final response won't be determined solely by the opinions of those that are expressed here, and we want to work carefully to make sure that any adjustment is done properly. Thanks for your feedback!

The Syrup To Waffles's Waffle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Mocchi, 1/28/13

Fairly straightforward post regarding Meeble Burrows:

New addition to the event in this update.

Monsters like this:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/at...5&d=1359352882

and this:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/at...6&d=1359352882

will be added.

A number of new monsters await. Please give it a try! We hope to get a lot of feedback.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast