+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: GW2: Update Notes Thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I care far more about PvE then PvP. They are two separate beasts and demand their own rule sets.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

It's my understanding mes are one of the better PvE classes as well. Not that I know personally obviously, I don't know squat about PvE in this game.

Somehow I doubt this'll bankrupt mesmers anywhere though. They're a pretty solid class all around.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Don't get me wrong; I love playing Mesmer, but I think it's BS that I'm sitting here, firing away at Mark T-B34RC3 retaliation turret, steadily taking it down, then watch the warrior turn, blink, and the Protection turret is dead, all while they can also have 25k stacks of Might in PvP and rip through just as many classes as a good PvP Mesmer. It's this 'balance' problem I have where shit in PvP affects my performance in PvE and there's not much of a rhyme or reason for the buffs/nerfs in one area, and their affects in the other area.

BG Level

PvE balance, especially in this game, is mostly irrelevant though. At least in the minor details that we're talking here. Every class can work inside the dungeons to my knowledge, so it's not like classes are getting turned down at end game content because they're less desirable. So long as the dungeon gets cleared in a somewhat timely fashion, people are mostly happy. And class/spec rarely has anything to do with clearing it.

PvP balance is a trickier subject though. It doesn't take much for a class to be completely useless, or so far ahead of the field nobody can touch them. This directly effects peoples enjoyment of the game if they can't compete at all simply because of the class they decided to choose... Ask anybody that played Warhammer about this.

Any MMO that has both PvE and PvP absolutely must focus their balance around PvP, unless PvP in the game is considered a side venture. It's mandatory for the longevity of the game. The only exception to this is if a class can no longer compete with the others, at all in a PvE setting. Than all bets are off... But it takes a whole lot more for that happen in PvE than it does in PvP.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sci Gauss
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyis. View Post
    PvE balance, especially in this game, is mostly irrelevant though. At least in the minor details that we're talking here. Every class can work inside the dungeons to my knowledge, so it's not like classes are getting turned down at end game content because they're less desirable. So long as the dungeon gets cleared in a somewhat timely fashion, people are mostly happy. And class/spec rarely has anything to do with clearing it.
    While possible with any class, if I had a way to avoid certain classes in fractals, I would. The damage ramps up at higher levels, and low HP classes die way too often in the hands of random PUGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sci View Post
    While possible with any class, if I had a way to avoid certain classes in fractals, I would. The damage ramps up at higher levels, and random PUGs die way too often .
    FTFY.

Quote Originally Posted by Kachiko View Post
    Don't get me wrong; I love playing Mesmer, but I think it's BS that I'm sitting here, firing away at Mark T-B34RC3 retaliation turret, steadily taking it down, then watch the warrior turn, blink, and the Protection turret is dead, all while they can also have 25k stacks of Might in PvP and rip through just as many classes as a good PvP Mesmer. It's this 'balance' problem I have where shit in PvP affects my performance in PvE and there's not much of a rhyme or reason for the buffs/nerfs in one area, and their affects in the other area.
    You're playing a DOT spec, that can't even hit objects, of course someone specced burst and power/precision is going to outburst your DOT spec on objects(and everything). Shatter spec is also by far the best mesmer spec - so you should be specced that if you are going to complain about doing less damage than other classes specced their optimal specs.

Mesmer is also the best PVE DPS in the game because time warp exists, unless you have 1-2 mesmers already, then warrior be comes the better DPS to add to your group.

It has also been stated by devs that warriors are too weak in pvp(and by top PVP teams), because warriors are only good vs bad players, and completely useless vs anyone competent unless you're CCed, then you just die instantly to 100blades. It's completely stupid, but yeah..

While possible with any class, if I had a way to avoid certain classes in fractals, I would. The damage ramps up at higher levels, and low HP classes die way too often in the hands of random PUGs.
    This should only be a problem for thiefs, the two other low hp classes have the highest survivability in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post

Mesmer is also the best PVE DPS in the game because time warp exists, unless you have 1-2 mesmers already, then warrior be comes the better DPS to add to your group.

It has also been stated by devs that warriors are too weak in pvp(and by top PVP teams), because warriors are only good vs bad players, and completely useless vs anyone competent unless you're CCed, then you just die instantly to 100blades.
    1. I wouldn't say that mesmer is the best dps in pve, it's good and if played well can be very good. In a straight up damage situation with max buffs/vulnerability a warrior good warrior will out damage a mesmer. I always run my warrior (axe/mace & longbow) with a mesmer for fractals and its easy to see that i out damage him and he's one to admit that because hes sword/pistol & staff. We have our fractal group synergized well with each other (war, thf, thf, mes,ele) and provide lots of buffs & auras which just makes things a piece of piss. we take most fractal bosses down from 100-25% in the 10s time frame of time warp.

2. Warrior is definitely the least played tpvp class by far and even those i do encounter have the need to use GS & axe/shield builds simply because theres no other pvp builds that can be used.

we take most fractal bosses down from 100-25% in the 10s time frame of time warp.
    I'd like to see that video.

Yes, a warrior outdamages a single mesmer, a warrior does not give everyone timewarp. Time warp is why mesmer is the best DPS to bring if you don't already have 1-2.

We have our fractal group synergized well with each other (war, thf, thf, mes,ele) and provide lots of buffs & auras which just makes things a piece of piss.
    See? You have a mesmer, remove that mesmer and invite another warrior and watch your damage go waaay down.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

You're playing a DOT spec, that can't even hit objects, of course someone specced burst and power/precision is going to outburst your DOT spec on objects(and everything). Shatter spec is also by far the best mesmer spec - so you should be specced that if you are going to complain about doing less damage than other classes specced their optimal specs.

It has also been stated by devs that warriors are too weak in pvp(and by top PVP teams), because warriors are only good vs bad players, and completely useless vs anyone competent unless you're CCed, then you just die instantly to 100blades. It's completely stupid, but yeah..
    Been playing shatter spec for a couple of months now.

Yes, a warrior outdamages a single mesmer, a warrior does not give everyone timewarp. Time warp is why mesmer is the best DPS to bring if you don't already have 1-2.

See? You have a mesmer, remove that mesmer and invite another warrior and watch your damage go waaay down.
    I don't group with other warriors because they all suck, they use greatswords and nothing else, i know i would see a reduction in my damage simply because our mesmer does bring time warp & shares boons with the group. Another warrior with his frenzy/bull's charge/endure pain utilities isn't going to synergize well with the setup we use. We all know that time warp is an excellent elite utility skill, but unless the potential damage is there (warrior, thief) the utility isn't great.

2 Guardian/2 Warrior(Or 1 Ranger)/1 Mesmer is pretty much healing and destruction in a can.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I have an 80 ranger and I really dislike it in instances. A rangers damage alone isn't bad, but fuck having your pet die all the time really bothers me. I hope they eventually do what WoW had to do w/pets and make them immune to AoE. Would make a huge difference

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

my dog could have designed ranger better than anet did

BG Level

Pouch scoot would be a sweet ability.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Yeah it would, charr only though. Master race

(warrior, thief) the utility isn't great.
    THF does less damage than mesmer, has 400x less survivability, and MUCH MUCH worse AOE. All the damage mesmer does is AOE, thf's is all single target, and THF can't melee 75% of the things mesmer can. THF is not a good class at all in dungeons, it's the worst possible class you can bring.

A THF is required to use shortbow on far too many things, greatly limiting it's damage to probably less than 75% of the classes in the game, the only time it does good damage is using d/d and meleeing, but since it can't m elee most things..it can't really do damage. It'a AOE is also weak, since daggers are single target only. Every mesmer attack is AOE, autoattack, shatter, blurred frenzy, etc. Mesmer also has GREAT single target ranged damage, and good ranged AOE unlike THF. A THF brings only damage, no support, on revives, no regens, no heals, nothing, and does subpar damage compared to other classes because of how their survivability is.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Thief mass invisi is great for cheesing stuff or rezzing a downed/dead player!

Too bad good players don't need to use that.

Also, Ranger is great, you probably just don't play it well (like 99.9% of Rangers in GW2). Can pretty much face tank everything with a GS and provide Healing Spring for your Hammer Warriors/Guardians to splash everywhere.

The only time Thief is ever useful is for bomb path on dredge.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast