+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: GW2: Update Notes Thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

I have been killed by a Ranger 0 times ever in WvW.

If I go against a group I kill Rangers and uplevels first. If I'm on Thief, then I steal from a Warrior first then proceed to kill Rangers and uplevels. There are 0 things a Ranger can do to kill me unless they are full tank w/GSD and if that's the case I would just not fight them (on Thief) - if I was on any other job then I'd still go at it.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Oooh just kill them. Why didn't the rest of the game think of that.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    THF's are unfun to fight against because they stealth every second and can attack you while they aren't even unstealthed on your screen for 2+ seconds.
    Assuming you're talking about SPVP, I have never had this problem. Unless you're talking about the illegal macro to instakill people, but I don't run into that hardly ever.

If you're talking about WvW then that's not specific to Thief.

SPVP is glorious fun, especially tournaments. The thing is it relies on competent people to be fun. I only have fun if I'm playing with at least one other person I know. Two friends and I have won a free tournament two nights in a row now and have had amazing fun doing so (with 2 randoms).

That being said though, it'll never be an esport because it'll never be balanced enough for it. Also I play Thief, specifically glass cannon in SPVP, so my opinion is a tad biased.

Also I'm with Church, Rangers are easy. The only issues they give me is when they do that stupid "Protect Me" bullshit and even then it's my fault for not noticing quickly enough and wasting all my abilities killing their pet.

EDIT: My only wish is that they would fucking streamline the SPVP system with basic functions that like EVERY OTHER GODDAMN PVP GAME HAS before worrying about adding more maps and whatever that new tournament shit is. More gamemode options, custom servers, dueling, observing matches, a GOOD ladder system, detailed leaderboards, etc.

Also all of my pvp stats consolidated in one screen. I should not have to look at my achievements to see how many kills I've gotten (and that will stop keeping track eventually) and I want things like deaths, %'s, all relevant information.

All of the above shit needs to happen before they can even begin to attempt to strive for esports.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Maybe Trap Rangers are just rare outside paid and ya'll are referring to pewpew's, but idk. I'd definitely be interested in hearing or seeing what you do to counter Entangle into mega-trap 1v1.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras View Post
    Maybe Trap Rangers are just rare outside paid and ya'll are referring to pewpew's, but idk. I'd definitely be interested in hearing or seeing what you do to counter Entangle into mega-trap 1v1.
    Probably, I have literally never seen that before. To be fair though, I rarely see Rangers to begin with, class just isn't that popular.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

This is the general build in question: http://teampz.com/threads/tanky-trap-ranger.22/

Has no HP, can't see why it couldn't be burst down.

All that toughness doesn't really matter against some of the better burst skills.

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

I'm running a trap/cond Ranger in sPvP and yes, there's hardly anything that can stop me. I also have the lowest or one of the lowest kill counts after each round, because that's not what we're good at. Capturing, getting away and giving everyone a hard time is our game. Which is perfect for sPvP (not tPvP and certainly not WvW).

I love how the more vocal players say that sPvP is shit and actually think sPvP is based around shitty 8v8 zerg hot join matches, try going into free/paid tourney's and actually learning to counter the fotm pvp builds, i can guarantee that as soon as you see a thief coming you'll instinctively react to backstab or any burst for that matter. 5v5 tourneys are about point control & controlling other map objectives (boss kills on nif, trebs on khylo and the bonuses on silent storm).

With the exception of Capricorn & Silent Storm there has been no update to sPvP and as they announced in december/jan that february was going to be more of an sPvPcentric patch to address the issues that have plagued it for the longest time.

You can bitch and whine that sPvP sucks compared to WvW but that's because the amount of work they put into WvW far exceeds the work that's gone into sPvP.

Warrior needs more workable spvp builds for sure but i wouldn't say that necro is one of the weaker classes in spvp/tpvp, i run necro in my tpvp group and always end up top of the board and even in hot join matches it's rare that i'm below 2nd when playing a full match.

sPvP is shit though

no guild vs guild = shit

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Game called guild wars. Has no guild vs guild pvp, lel.

Oh you gay little clever monkey.

edit: did you buy the game yet? im not sure how interesting it will be for you

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    I love how the more vocal players say that sPvP is shit and actually think sPvP is based around shitty 8v8 zerg hot join matches, try going into free/paid tourney's and actually learning to counter the fotm pvp builds, i can guarantee that as soon as you see a thief coming you'll instinctively react to backstab or any burst for that matter. 5v5 tourneys are about point control & controlling other map objectives (boss kills on nif, trebs on khylo and the bonuses on silent storm).

With the exception of Capricorn & Silent Storm there has been no update to sPvP and as they announced in december/jan that february was going to be more of an sPvPcentric patch to address the issues that have plagued it for the longest time.

You can bitch and whine that sPvP sucks compared to WvW but that's because the amount of work they put into WvW far exceeds the work that's gone into sPvP.

Warrior needs more workable spvp builds for sure but i wouldn't say that necro is one of the weaker classes in spvp/tpvp, i run necro in my tpvp group and always end up top of the board and even in hot join matches it's rare that i'm below 2nd when playing a full match.
    Yes, that's how tournaments are won, we always assign our tanky/knockdown warrior to defend the point closest to our base, we generally tell the two randoms to cover the middle point, have our ele running distraction tactics on the point closest to their base (keeping the point neutralized as long as possible), and then we have me as Thief bouncing back and forth between our closest point and the middle point killing bitches or killing beast/treb. Since we've started doing this we haven't lost a match, but we've also been fairly lucky with the randoms on our team being fairly competent, but even if we have a terribad we can still generally pull it off. It also requires people to adapt if shit changes, like if they're just constantly rushing the middle point with over half their team then we switch it up and let them have that point but take the other two.

I still stand by the fact that a lot of the bitching about SPVP is valid though, it needs all of the staples of every other pvp game out there. They can be unique but at the same time you fucking need a lot of those features for a smooth and sophisticated experience.

It's not exactly shit, because it's definitely fun, but it needs a ton of work and it could be so much better.

Also as you said, tournaments are where SPVP is out, but there is literally zero variety there. Why have no alternate map sets been released? There's also no reliable way to get an extra body or two for Paid tournaments if you're short some members (which has kept my 3-man group from doing them), also the wait times for tournaments can be atrocious and since the patch they even took out the way to see the progress on the other teams forming (even though that function only worked like 10% of the time).

Quote Originally Posted by Kuishen View Post
    Yes, that's how tournaments are won, we always assign our tanky/knockdown warrior to defend the point closest to our base, we generally tell the two randoms to cover the middle point, have our ele running distraction tactics on the point closest to their base (keeping the point neutralized as long as possible), and then we have me as Thief bouncing back and forth between our closest point and the middle point killing bitches or killing beast/treb. Since we've started doing this we haven't lost a match, but we've also been fairly lucky with the randoms on our team being fairly competent, but even if we have a terribad we can still generally pull it off. It also requires people to adapt if shit changes, like if they're just constantly rushing the middle point with over half their team then we switch it up and let them have that point but take the other two.

I still stand by the fact that a lot of the bitching about SPVP is valid though, it needs all of the staples of every other pvp game out there. They can be unique but at the same time you fucking need a lot of those features for a smooth and sophisticated experience.

It's not exactly shit, because it's definitely fun, but it needs a ton of work and it could be so much better.

Also as you said, tournaments are where SPVP is out, but there is literally zero variety there. Why have no alternate map sets been released? There's also no reliable way to get an extra body or two for Paid tournaments if you're short some members (which has kept my 3-man group from doing them), also the wait times for tournaments can be atrocious and since the patch they even took out the way to see the progress on the other teams forming (even though that function only worked like 10% of the time).
    tPvP is all about being able to effectively communicate with your team members and knowing what each player is capable of which is why it lends itself to a dedicated team of 5 players, it took my guild a while to find a 5th person who could effectively fill the last bunker that we needed a few months ago and it's taken us until now to be able to just efficiently expect certain people to do an assigned task our team is static but we don't play hardcore since 4/5 of the players do dungeons a few nights a week too.

Our current setup is bunker ele, condition necro, d/d thief, smite guardian & s/t ranger. thief and guardian pretty much roam defend & defend close when its a close-mid cap. I condition bomb the mid point and make sure we get that point while supporting the ele with revives.

Over the past week free tourneys are pretty much dead because it's so cheap to go into the 2 team paid and get decent rewards from it and which is why you see lots of people running around in paid tourney gear, it's lead to alot of easy wins for my tpvp team and i'm not exactly keen on steamrollering over pug teams because you get very little out of it. Some of the best matches we've had have come down to the last 5 points (500-495,500-499,500-497) and that's where i believe that the learning process and improvements come from in tourney play.

They really could do with having random map rotations in free and paid sometime soon, simply because builds are being developed specifically for each map now, portal mesmer capping in Silent Storm and quckness capping as examples.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

Just thought I'd chime in and say rangers are the worst WvW class in the game. I dunno what Celeras is smoking.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Oh you gay little clever monkey.

edit: did you buy the game yet? im not sure how interesting it will be for you
    i bought it through ebay a day ago, so i'm waiting on it. Game seems casual enough to fit with my schedule. And complaining about spvp notwithstanding, this game seems to have some of the most entertaining pvp around.

I really enjoy WvW at times, though that is commander dependent if you're going in solo. In a group it's really fun

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyis. View Post
    Just thought I'd chime in and say rangers are the worst WvW class in the game. I dunno what Celeras is smoking.
    Nobody is even talking about WvW except the nigs trying to troll all day. If your opinion extends to sPvP then I respectfully LOLdisagree.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Having a difficult time finding Ranger perspective vidya, but here's a semi recent match you can watch with plenty of Ranger cameos: http://www.twitch.tv/matchlesspowerr/c/1828863

Unsurprisingly, they're running Ranger Ranger Ele Ele Guardian. "Nerf Thieves/Mesmers/Warriors."

386 viewers atm, 394,403 total, and most of the saved vids have less than 70 views. Yeah, no one gives a shit about "competitive PVP" in GW2. WOW streams(and wow PVP is complete garbage) have 2k+ viewers at all times.

Compare:
    Vanguards
    http://www.twitch.tv/vanguardstv
    4,174,897 viewers total
    100+ views per video

Reckful
    http://www.twitch.tv/reckful
    17,567,062 viewers total
    1-5k views per video.

Hydramist
    http://www.twitch.tv/hydramist
    4,253,730 viewers total
    100-600 views per video.

Hell, this moron who is garbage and plays shitty action RPG games like Diablo3 and path of exile(this game looks good though) has 4000x the views
    Kripparian
    http://www.twitch.tv/nl_kripp
    31,886,953 viewers total
    4,477 viewers right now
    1-3k views per video.