1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 1 hours, 33 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 22 hours, 26 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 18 hours, 33 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 15 hours, 26 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Changes to Existing Items and the Monetary System in FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn (10/02/2012)

As we transition from the game’s current version to FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn, existing game content will be undergoing a number of changes. This post will detail such changes coming to items and the monetary system.
    Due to extensive changes made to the battle and other major game systems, existing items and the monetary system will be rebalanced in FINAL FANTASY XIV: ARR.

Note: Company seals and items not explicitly mentioned in this post will not be changed. However, the methods for obtaining these items in FFXIV: ARR may be different.

The planned changes are detailed below.

Changes to the Monetary System
    Upon the release of FFXIV: ARR, we will be removing one zero from all gil prices, in a process known as Currency Redenomination.

1. All NPC vendor buying/selling prices will be reduced to 1/10 of current values.
    2. All quest rewards, monster drops, and in-game monetary rewards will be reduced to 1/10 of current values.
    3. All repair costs, airship fares, and other in-game service fees will be reduced to 1/10 of current values.
    4. Because of changes to game systems, the prices of existing items will change to varying degrees.
    5. The maximum amount of gil that a player can possess will not change from 999,999,999.
    6. The amount of gil required to obtain certain achievements will be reduced to 1/10 of current values.
    7. All gil currently held by players will be reduced to 1/10 of current values.
    Example: A player carrying 100,000 gil will only possess 10,000 gil upon release of FFXIV: ARR. However, a chocobo rental fee of 800 gil will be reduced to 80 gil, and an NPC previously selling an item for 1,500 gil will sell the same item for 150 gil. The effective purchasing power of your savings will not change.

Due to rebalancing, the price of some items, rewards and services may not be reduced to exactly 1/10 of their current values. The above should only be considered general guidelines for the changes.

Purpose of Currency Redenomination
    When the current version of FFXIV was first designed, we were forced to inflate item prices to properly balance the prices for consumable items, such as arrows and fishing lures.* This is no longer necessary, as this type of consumable item will not be used in FFXIV: ARR.

*1 The price of one arrow was originally indexed against the cost of one sword at a rate of 1 to 1000. For example, if a gladius were priced at 200 gil, the equivalent level warped arrows would be priced at 0.2 gil each. However, because decimal pricing is not possible, prices would have to be rounded to the nearest whole number, rendering it comparatively expensive to be an archer. This problem was addressed by increasing all item prices by a factor of ten.

In conjunction with the removal of player-operated bazaars in FFXIV: ARR, all items and gil in player bazaars at the time the servers go down will be returned to player inventories. This includes gil which is being offered in the ‘seek item’ section of a bazaar. Because of this, it is possible that the resulting gil total may exceed the limit of 999,999,999. Therefore, this change also ensures that players will not lose any gil.

That said, this currency redenomination is primarily intended to reduce the excessively large values used in all transactions. We would like to reiterate that the effective purchasing power of your savings will not be reduced.

Crystals
    Players can currently hold a maximum of 9,999 crystals of a single type, and this limit will not change. However, because player-operated bazaars will be closed, crystals subsequently returned to player inventories may cause them to exceed this limit. In this event, any excess crystals will be automatically converted to gil.

Players can remove crystals from their bazaar or transfer them to a retainer, if they wish to keep their excess crystals.

Inventory Limits
    Player inventory capacity will be reduced to the original 100 slots.

Excess items will not be lost. These items will be temporarily transferred to a special NPC. Items returned from player bazaars will also be transferred to this NPC, if their inventories are full. However, crystals returned from player bazaars to their inventories will be converted to gil automatically, if they exceed the 9,999 per type limit.

Once players make room in their inventories, they can speak to this special NPC to reclaim their items. Please note that this NPC will only return items and will not accept additional items for storage.

Players will not be charged for this service.

Player and retainer inventory capacity will be adjusted as follows:

Current FFXIV: ARR
    Player 200 → 100
    Retainer 150 → 175

Player Bazaar 10 → 0
    Retainer Bazaar 10 → 20

* Players will be unable to operate bazaars in FFXIV: ARR.
    * Items equipped by players will not count towards the 100 item inventory limit.
    * The maximum amount of gil, crystals, and grand company seals that can be held by players and retainers will not change.

Example: Player carrying 175 items in inventory.
    Current version
    → 175 of 200 inventory slots in use.
    FFXIV: ARR
    → 100 of 100 inventory slots in use (75 items over limit).
    → Player can speak to the special NPC to reclaim their remaining 75 items.

Armoire
    Items currently stored in armoires can be retrieved as normal upon release of FFXIV: ARR.

Items Removed from Game
    The following items will be removed from player inventories.

• Guild Marks
    • Guild Treatises
    • Key Items

Players are advised to exchange all guild marks and treatises before November 1st, 2012. Upon release of FFXIV: ARR, it will also no longer be possible to receive guild mark refunds for previously purchased abilities.

Special abilities and access to content obtained through key items will not be revoked. Player progress will be tracked through alternative systems.

Example: Chocobo whistles will be removed from game, but players in possession of one will retain the ability to summon their chocobo.

At this time, we cannot comment on how changes to game systems will affect each and every item. However, rest assured that we are dedicated to preserving fairness and equality between players who have obtained these key items and players who have not.

Example: In FFXIV: ARR, all players will have unrestricted access to the city-state aethernets, which will render aetherpasses obsolete. Players already in possession of these passes will receive 40,000 gil in compensation (as per the redenomination, 1/10 of the original purchase price). Players who purchased the aetherpasses with company seals will be recompensed in gil.

Players in possession of the goobbue horn, which is no longer obtainable as of patch 1.23a, will retain the ability to summon the goobbue mount. The mount will remain unobtainable in FFXIV: ARR.

Items Converted to Gil
    The following items will be automatically converted to gil. The exchange rate will be calculated based on current NPC vendor prices and reduced to 1/10 of their current prices in accordance with the currency redenomination:

• Ammunition
    • Throwing Weapons
    • Fisher’s Secondary Tools
    • Fishing Tackle
    • Lures
    • Other obsolete items

* Arrows will no longer be required to use bows upon release of FFXIV: ARR.
    * Consumable throwing weapons will be replaced by non-consumable versions.
    * Spearfishing will be removed, and the existing fishing system will be changed. Tackles and lures designed for the new system will be introduced.

Items to Become Unobtainable
    The following items will become unobtainable:

• Dated items
    • Weathered gear

* Weathered weapons and tools will remain obtainable.
    • Items obtained through seasonal events
    • Rewards for achievements that will become unattainable in FFXIV: ARR, such as the Dalamud horn
    • Items obtained through events associated with the coming of the Seventh Umbral Era, such as over-aspected clusters

Items to Become Untradable
    The following items will become untradable:

• Dated items
    • Weathered gear

Items to Become Unsellable
    The following items will become unsellable:

• Items obtained through seasonal events that are priced below 10 gil by NPC vendors

Smallclothes
    Smallclothes will be changed from race-specific to gender-specific. All existing smallclothes will be converted to this new format. Well-worn smallclothes will be merged with similar items.

This change will allow us to create more unique designs for all races, as well as equalize market prices.

Hempen Undershirt
    Hempen Chestband
    Hempen Undersleeves
    Hempen Camise
    Hempen Singlet
    → Male Undershirt

* Under these guidelines, a hempen undershirt held by a male player will be automatically converted to a male undershirt.

Gear Dyeing
    Players will be able to dye gear multiple times.
    Gear colors will no longer be included in item names, and gear with different colors will display the same item name.

Woolen Turban (Purple)
    Woolen Turban (Red)
    Woolen Turban (Green)
    → Woolen Turban

* Under these guidelines, a woolen turban (purple) in a player’s inventory will be automatically renamed a woolen turban.

Gear color will be indicated by icons as follows:

CURRENT

Heavy Darksteel Gauntlets Heavy Darksteel Gauntlets (White) Heavy Darksteel Gauntlets (Red) Heavy Darksteel Gauntlets (Green) Heavy Darksteel Gauntlets (Blue)

FFXIV: ARR

Heavy Darksteel Gauntlets Heavy Darksteel Gauntlets Heavy Darksteel Gauntlets Heavy Darksteel Gauntlets Heavy Darksteel Gauntlets

Aside from color, special attributes included in item names will not be changed.

Examples: Woolen turban of casting, woolen turban of intelligence

Additionally, players will not be able to dye the following items:
    • Waist gear

* Waist gear will no longer be visible in FFXIV: ARR. See below for details.

• Dated gear, weathered gear, swimsuits

* These items, while containing colors in their names, have never been dyeable by players. There are currently no plans to alter their icon graphics and names, but this is subject to change.

Waist Gear
    Waist gear will no longer be visible in FFXIV: ARR.

We have concluded that displaying waist gear separately not only limits the ability of our artists to create new designs, but also complicates the methods used to display equipped gear. Therefore, in order to more efficiently create new gear for players to enjoy, we have decided to merge waist gear graphics with matching gear graphics.

Example:
    Cobalt plate belt graphics will be added to cobalt cuirass graphics.
    Existing waist gear graphics will not be removed from game. However, equipping and removing waist gear will no longer change your character’s appearance.

Recommended Class to Become Required Class
    Recommended class will be changed to required class on existing gear.
    The majority of gear affected by this change are dated items, which many players continue to wear for aesthetic reasons, despite incurring performance penalties.

In order to preserve this freedom of choice, we are planning to make these items wearable by more, if not all, classes. However, we are still in the process of determining how to best implement these changes.

Recommended level restrictions will still be present in FFXIV: ARR.

Changes to Gear Attributes
    The attributes of various gear may be adjusted due to the extensive redesign of the battle system. Rest assured we will do our utmost to minimize the impact upon the effectiveness of any existing gear.

High Quality Items
    Currently, high quality items labeled with different numerical modifiers (+1, +2, +3) in the item name have no discernable differences. All these items will be unified under +1.

Obsolete Recipes
    All recipes for producing dated and obsolete items will be removed from the game, and it will no longer be possible to craft these items.

I guess this is the list?

And nothing of value was lost.

Commence meaningless QQing about dated gear.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Yep, and nothing for the player base to bum rush before November.

I approve of this, aside from these mysterious Fishing changes.

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

yeah the only other lists they mention are from previous ones that we've already seen, aka discontinued achievements and recipes/items.

I couldn't post the links, but here they are...

forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/38943?p=579324&viewfull=1#post579324

lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=5abd95cb77c6c3a36511f99f700c9127bfe4e624

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Seems reasonable, all and all. Still, I am a little bummed that they aren't taking the opportunity to purge dated items from the system.

Still wish could get a group going for White Raven Earring though...

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

So yeah, they did just add the spearfishing achievments to the list of "can't do it in 2.0"...

Getting Giggy with It: La Noscea I / Getting Giggy with It: La Noscea II / Getting Giggy with It: La Noscea III / Getting Giggy with It: La Noscea IV / Getting Giggy with It: La Noscea V / I'd Rather Be Spearfishing: La Noscea / Getting Giggy with It: Black Shroud I / Getting Giggy with It: Black Shroud II / Getting Giggy with It: Black Shroud III / Getting Giggy with It: Black Shroud IV / Getting Giggy with It: Black Shroud V / I'd Rather Be Spearfishing: Black Shroud / Getting Giggy with It: Thanalan I / Getting Giggy with It: Thanalan II / Getting Giggy with It: Thanalan III / Getting Giggy with It: Thanalan IV / Getting Giggy with It: Thanalan V / I'd Rather Be Spearfishing: Thanalan * Updated on 10/02/2012.
    http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...0c9127bfe4e624

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I guess I should finally finish up the last 300 for Getting Giggy with it: Thanalan V... even though there's two spearfishing points and no schools of fish to reset your node count.

Well fuck. Here I was finishing up my leves, and now I gotta do this bullshit too? Gdit...

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    I guess I should finally finish up the last 300 for Getting Giggy with it: Thanalan V... even though there's two spearfishing points and no schools of fish to reset your node count.
    I keep getting told that if you go to the lake, take out your rod, don't fish anything, then put your rod away, it counts in your rotation of three.

Spearfish 1 > Spearfish 2 > Fake free-fish > repeat

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    I keep getting told that if you go to the lake, take out your rod, don't fish anything, then put your rod away, it counts in your rotation of three.

I thought this didn't work? hm.

I have no desire to go after this achievement, but some friends of mine are currently working on it and were discussing all of this yesterday. I don't know the details as I wasn't paying much attention, but they were talking about getting a leve for the areas that only have 2 spearfish spots, and using the points from that for the 3rd spot. Then purposely failing the leve and retrying it for as long as needed.

How long would it realistically take to get all those Spearfishing achievements? Anyone?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    I thought this didn't work? hm.
    I've heard it both ways actually, so I can't comment on whether or not it works. If you scan the OF, you'll find people that say it worked for them, and people that say it didn't work, and people that say it works sometimes. I dunno, if someone in here tries it out, please let us know.

One person made the explicit instructions to not free-fish when take out your rod. Maybe that makes the difference? Seems weird if it does. Here's where I got those instructions: http://www.disciplesoftheland.com/fo...?g=posts&t=863

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I've tried a number of things, and the only thing that will reset one of the two Spearfishing nodes besides simply waiting for time to go by is to activate the Iron Lake fishing leve that involves checking 2 fishing points, and use the spawned school of fish as your third node. However, even when I did that, it would go something like:

1) Spearfish point 1
    2) Spearfish point 2
    3) Fish at school 1 (still can't spearfish again yet)
    4) Fish at school 2 (now I can finally repeat from step 1)

Something funky is going on.

I'll double-check some methods, but doing anything on a different DoL doesn't work anymore, and I'm 99% certain that whatever you pull your fishing rod out at has to be an actual school to have any effect on your node count.

As for how long it takes... Iron Lake is by far the absolute worst because of this issue (I've gone at it twice now and only have 200/500), Halatali is pretty bad just because all the points are spread out inside a couple of those mesas... other than that, just calculate how long it takes you to hit 1 node 8 times, and divide your total by 8. The Grade-5 points will probably take 2 days of monotonous repetition, depending on how bored you get. It has been by far the most mindless tasks I've done in this game and I have no idea why I even did it.

Do not attempt without external entertainment.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alkimi Asura
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Not sure about spearfishing but it definitely doesn't work with Harvesting or Quarrying, you have to mine/log until there is nothing left to gather as your 3rd rotation. Fishing may work differently as you can fish anywhere there is water so might be worth a try.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I've heard it both ways actually, so I can't comment on whether or not it works. If you scan the OF, you'll find people that say it worked for them, and people that say it didn't work, and people that say it works sometimes. I dunno, if someone in here tries it out, please let us know.

One person made the explicit instructions to not free-fish when take out your rod. Maybe that makes the difference? Seems weird if it does. Here's where I got those instructions: http://www.disciplesoftheland.com/fo...?g=posts&t=863
    Interesting, one thing I can think of that would explain why we're getting conflicting reports is if the people that it does work for aren't realizing they're at a school of fish. I know for sure that schools work, and was told that just free fishing does not.

If I was at home I'd go check, but sadly I'm stuck at work.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

AS a carpenter, I am a little sad that arrows are going away, as I made a fuckton of money off of them and planned on whore out n00bies for more gils with it. But I'm also a Bard so it makes me happy as well. Lol I'll deal.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    Interesting, one thing I can think of that would explain why we're getting conflicting reports is if the people that it does work for aren't realizing they're at a school of fish. I know for sure that schools work, and was told that just free fishing does not.

If I was at home I'd go check, but sadly I'm stuck at work.
    They can't be at a school of fish, they're in Iron Lake. Like the thread says, give free fishing without casting your line a shot. Maybe there's something bugged about not casting your line that confuses the system so it counts in the rotation? I don't know, I'm not a fisher.

As a Botanist, I'm well aware that this does not work for other DoLs.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Question, has anyone ever seen the off hand militia fishing item? EVER? Or the botanist?

I've seen the miner(I have it) but it runs in the millions of Gil on Balmung and the fishing and botany have never even been listed in the market wards. I GUESS THEY WON'T HAVE TO CHANGE THOSE DROP RATES EH???! Eh?? EHHNN? Get it!!? CAUSE THE DROP RATE IS SO HORRID! ...they won't have to...change it....?...ya know?

I'm done here.