1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 15 hours, 35 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 8 hours, 24 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 8 hours, 35 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 1 hours, 24 minutes
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Copying FFXIV files?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Copying FFXIV files?

Hey all:

Wasn't sure where to post this. I'm going to be formatting/reinstalling stuff on the comp soon, and while I know how to do it for XI, I'm not sure which files I have to copy for FFXIV so that I don't have to go through that godawful long patching process again.

Any ideas/help?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I built a new computer back in May and I was able to simply copy the entire Final Fantasy XIV directory over to my new hard drive and run the client. If there were any holes, the patcher filled them in, but I didn't notice any issues.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

That's very helpful to know. Thanks!

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Just an extra note, all your user information (macros, UI setup, screenshots, etc.) is located in My Documents/My Games/FINAL FANTASY XIV

Usual spiel I go through is copying entire XIV folder. After format/reinstallation, I manually install the original game, then copy in the backed up folder.

Although there should be nothing wrong with doing what above has mentioned. Just as long as you remember to also copy in the My Games folder into Documents, although I believe that too gets fixed by the patcher?

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

I may do this for my new laptop, but I'm curious, how long can it be expected for the official patcher to download all the updates? (I know it sucks and is highly variable, just curious.)

Not nearly as quickly as transfer speed from one hard drive to another. One would take minutes to an hour, other would take hours to a day.

Quick note, I really really, wouldn't bother doing this now. In about a month you'll quite possibly be downloading an entirely new client. I'd say wait that out for formatting.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Re: Copying FFXIV files?

Quote Originally Posted by Waraji View Post
    Quick note, I really really, wouldn't bother doing this now. In about a month you'll quite possibly be downloading an entirely new client. I'd say wait that out for formatting.
    I do agree with you, but this will let me do some LS events from work over the next month. Also, I plan to do a one-touch restore to before the install when 1.0 shuts down to clean up the system.

Recently made a new partition and this thread reminded me I haven't installed XIV on it yet, did the reg disc install a few mins ago, update window as of 2 mins ago:

Think people are exaggerating and/or live on the moon.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Don't count your chickens yet. Doesn't it do a full 0~100% bar for every single update file? Notice that you're only downloading the September 19th 2010 update file (D2010.09.19.0000).

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aratharn Xiv
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

On non-patch days the self-updater isn't that bad, in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Don't count your chickens yet. Doesn't it do a full 0~100% bar for every single update file? Notice that you're only downloading the September 19th 2010 update file (D2010.09.19.0000).
    The single bar is for all 17, it goes to 2,3,4....../17 as it progresses.

Finished a while ago btw, was ultimately somewhere between 60-90 mins with all the expected connection fluctuations.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Oh wow, that's good to know/hear!

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Just to confirm, (for me) the update took about an hour and a half to download, with another 30 minutes or so to verify/install said updates.