+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Goddamnit, I knew it was too good to be true when I saw this thread bump.

Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Tierkreis, as a standalone game, is OK. Nothing special, but not a bad game.

When you add the Suikoden into the name, it is a disgrace.

So just pretend that it's not a Suikoden game, and you may enjoy it.
    That's a real shame. I never beat part 4 and Suikoden Tactics, how are those?

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

4 is the worst numbered game of the series. The boat travel was horrendous and I don't like what they did with cutting down the 6 party members to 4. it doesn't help that the game takes place a 150 years before the first game and has so few recurring characters and doesn't really feel like a big part of the Suikoden Universe.

Tactics was a decent game, but nothing groundbreaking.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I hear the part with Ted is pretty sweet, that's about the only thing that got my interest.

How did you all feel about Suikoden V? I loved the combat a lot, tactical battles, story had a slow start but the game really takes off after the first 10 or so hours. Was cool to see and play as Georg FUCKING Prime.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

5 was a step back in the right direction. Probably my favorite of the PS2 games. 3 was cool, but it was a bit different in a lot of ways. Some worked, some didn't. 5 went back to the Suikoden formula that first worked in 1 and 2.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Didn't it have a fuck ton of character combo attacks? I think I know which Suikoden I am playing next..

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

I needa play 5 again but the fact that you can't skip the cutscenes kills it a bit for me. I know it's not that much of a big deal but ugh. I hate games that don't letcha skip that shit. Especially when I got super far in the game then realized I fucked something up and couldn't get the detective dude or some garbage because I didn't talk to ONE person.

I'm probably one of the few people who loved the shit out of 3 <_>; I loved the trinity point system they had in it too. I know a lot of people hated that. I can't really think of any character I hated in that game. 4 and 5 had a bunch of people I didn't give two shits about so that kind of made the games meh to me. I should replay 1 and 2. Don't remember them too well :S

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

I have been trying to play V on PCSX2. I can't get it to run properly though. I got it to run somewhat smooth but AA wont work anymore.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Koul View Post
    I needa play 5 again but the fact that you can't skip the cutscenes kills it a bit for me. I know it's not that much of a big deal but ugh. I hate games that don't letcha skip that shit. Especially when I got super far in the game then realized I fucked something up and couldn't get the detective dude or some garbage because I didn't talk to ONE person.

I'm probably one of the few people who loved the shit out of 3 <_>; I loved the trinity point system they had in it too. I know a lot of people hated that. I can't really think of any character I hated in that game. 4 and 5 had a bunch of people I didn't give two shits about so that kind of made the games meh to me. I should replay 1 and 2. Don't remember them too well :S
    Trinity system was cool until you had to go through Thomas.. fucking SNOOZE fest, jesus christ.

Playing through Luc's POV with Sarah, and Yuber was too awesome. Not many JRPG's ever put you in control of the enemy quite like this.

I am sure I will find SV a lot more bearable on the PCSX2 emulator, it ran perfect for me, can even fast forward it somewhat.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

You know you didn't have to play Thomas' chapters lol. They were optional.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Are you fucking kidding me dude?

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Nope.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

.... so much rage. I'd rather play one of the latest abominations of the Suikoden series than play through that arc ever again, most boring and pointless shit ever.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yeah i hated 3... really anything that jumps POV like that.. It's like damn i just wanna skip parts so i can finish Character X's Story. Ex. Game of Thrones, Wheel of Time, and Way of Kings... You get caught up in a certain part of story and its like a commercial break until you get back to the part you wanted initially.

Obligatory personal ranking time: 2 > 5 > 1 > 4 > 3.

Main thing that puts 5 over 1 for me is the technical/quality gap between the two games. Were 1 remade today with comparable graphics, cut-scenes/VA, and some localization clean-ups, it might even give 2 a run.

4 and 3 share the same "detached" feeling with not many crossover characters, but the method of storytelling with the emphasis on beastmen characters knocked a lot of points off 3 for me. Plus they may as well not have made a certain happening a choice as it was pretty evident who it was meant to go to. And you just can't have the Star Dragon Sword without Viktor. Either way, the plots of 3 and 4 just didn't feel as... grand.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I agree with everything except that abomination 4 being before anything. I still enjoyed 3 to a certain degree. Fuck 4.

4 beat 3 for me largely because of 3's combat system. Even if still 6-man, the butchering of the front/back mechanic just made it annoying.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Played the shit out of 1 and 2. Played through 3 once, never touched 4 onward.

I should look into getting those one day.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

2 > 1 > 3 > 5 > 4

Two is obviously the best, I think that's uncontested. One beats three only for nostalgia factor for me. Three I loved, I know a lot of people don't like it but I really got into the story of that one. Five had an incredibly slow start, and while it was good overall it seemed to really drag on. Fuck four, lol.

Edit: I think my love for three may come from my love for Luc.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

2 > 1 > 5 > 3 > 4

It's worth mentioning I really liked Suikoden 3. I really enjoyed parts of Suikoden IV. Travel was not one of them, but I did like the idea of the castle ship. Every time I played Suikoden again I am reminded how little Tir went through before he just said fuck it and forsook his father, lifestyle, to lead a rebellion against the empire. Then you play Suikoden 2 and it takes a few hours of nuanced development to get Riou to that point with a lot of conflicted feelings, betrayal, and evidence to support him.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag