+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Can someone point to me to cheap copies of 3 and 5? Those are the only Suikoden games I have not played. 5 just seems to be at a constant $40+ even in used sales.

Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Oh yeah! Shit, totally forgot about that. That was pretty awesome. Too bad you had to go back to the damn city out of the way to get him back into your party every time you removed him.
    I'd say he was definitely worth the trip. Dat Soul eater.

Also, if all of the past heroes with the true runes are still roaming the world not aging.. why didn't Konami do something with that?

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

I loved 3!

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    In terms of polish, yeah, I'd say 4 > 2, but that should be a given jumping from one console generation to the next. PS1 era was still marred by shoddy translations and censorship. But as a complete package, I'd still say 2 was better for reasons like the Neclord follow-up and even the save import easter egg. Otherwise, I'd say if 2 was remade with 5's engine and very little changed aside from a better translation and good voice work, it'd be a no-brainer. 3 still sucks. Luc fanboys don't help.
    I disagree, mostly because the first game is still the best in the series, and is a pretty solid game in of itself. Maybe it's not fair to compare 4 to 2 since the games are on a different console generation, but if that's the case, then it is certainly fair to compare 2 to 1. And that's not a fair fight at all, since 1 winds up being the far better game.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    There are way more bugs in Suikoden 2 than I ever encountered. That list is kind of appalling, really.

Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

As a sprite based game i'm not sure how you can claim Suikoden 2 ages horribly. It's not like FF7 or Wild Arms that mainly used polygons and REALLY show their age at this point. Due to the sprite use Suikoden 2 actually looks pretty good to this day still when you compare it to some other RPGs that came out around its time and before it. Not every game can age beautifully like FF9 but it's pretty tolerable, like I loved Wild Arms 1 as a kid since it was my first RPG but that's probably the only reason I can stomach a playthrough of it nowadays. Thankfully that 1 got a remake on the PS2 that will age wonderfully.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I dont get what all the hate is about in S4. People claim it has a random last boss(And it does in a sense); but if you play SuikoTactics it goes into a lot of depth about why the tree is there and why it must be destroyed. I know upon release it would seem random; but tactics has been out for 8 years.

Although I would also rank 4 as the weakest in the series; thats not because it was bad. It just shows how great the other installments were.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I consider IV and Tactics as one game.

Seriously, Tactics is a lovely game.

I do kind of agree about the hero trio in 2. I mean I know the heroes are silent but.. 2 was probably my least favorite main character. Something about that kid annoyed me.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I don't even remember 4's last boss. That has nothing to do with my hatred of it. It's the change in combat, terrible boat system, rehash of the 1st games Souleater-esque story, complete disconnect from the rest of the Suikoden universe, and some other things I can no longer remember that make me hate it.

And considering 4 and Tactics as one game is an insult to Tactics lol. Just because they follow the same story doesn't mean they are 1 game. Are FFX/FFX-2 one game?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

I dont recall experiencing glitches in my playthroughs of suikoden 2. Maybe I missed something.

2 beats 1 for me largely for the same reasons Lufia 2 beats 1, even if the stories are comparable with their pros and cons at points, the sequels of both improved on various game mechanics. Like not wasting attacks on dead enemies. That's so FF1.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm surprised the awesomeness of Luca Blight has not been brought up since the bump of this thread. Unless I missed it somewhere.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Oh, no wonder I missed it. Its in the one post claiming 4 is better than 2 lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    As a sprite based game i'm not sure how you can claim Suikoden 2 ages horribly. It's not like FF7 or Wild Arms that mainly used polygons and REALLY show their age at this point. Due to the sprite use Suikoden 2 actually looks pretty good to this day still when you compare it to some other RPGs that came out around its time and before it. Not every game can age beautifully like FF9 but it's pretty tolerable, like I loved Wild Arms 1 as a kid since it was my first RPG but that's probably the only reason I can stomach a playthrough of it nowadays. Thankfully that 1 got a remake on the PS2 that will age wonderfully.
    The S2 FMVs are kind of hilariously bad. And then there's stuff like this:

It screams "RPG Maker 2000". Passable for 2000. Sort of embarrassing in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    2 beats 1 for me largely for the same reasons Lufia 2 beats 1, even if the stories are comparable with their pros and cons at points, the sequels of both improved on various game mechanics. Like not wasting attacks on dead enemies. That's so FF1.
    So is having magic charges.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Talint View Post

http://firsthour.net/screenshots/sui...ddy-attack.JPG

So is having magic charges.
    If you're going to poke fun at something as minor as that, I'll just add my complaint that the sprint in Sukoden IV while useful, looks fucking retarded. Oh and the game itself sucks overall, didn't even feel worth playing from what I did play, and I haven't heard otherwise.. until now.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

And considering 4 and Tactics as one game is an insult to Tactics lol. Just because they follow the same story doesn't mean they are 1 game. Are FFX/FFX-2 one game?
    Did FFX-2 have a ship you could name Loveboat?

No.

No it did not.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

@_@ Still a better game just because of the combat system lol

Click to zoom

Figured this was a good place to cross post this after finding it in some old file dumps.

Never played 4, and couldn't get in to suikoden tactics. Universally bad impressions likely to keep me away forever. 5 and 2 share the spot for my favorite in the series though. Really ended up liking the formations in 5 too even if it made the game a bit easy (put belcoot in the front and win!)

Even after all this time though, I can't give 3 a fair shake. Not that I dislike it, but way before the game came out, I had it spoiled that Luc was the bad guy, and it ruined a big part of it for me. I remember their being a fight with him before his name is dropped and I sat there thinking how cool it would've been to have seen that fight, recognize the true wind rune and go "holy shit, it's Luc!"

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I think I got lucky with 3 because it was the first I played in the series. If I had played 1, 2 or 5 before it I would've never been able to get used to it the changes.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Talint View Post

http://firsthour.net/screenshots/sui...ddy-attack.JPG

No. Just no =.=

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag