+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

rofl this game doesn't even exist yet and people have already paid to win it

On one hand, I find it crazy to pump so much cash into this project that no one knows wtf it is their money is going to (not really). On the other hand, I'm glad the project is getting as much backing as it needs to fuel w/e the Actual Developer wants the game to be like and not be under the pressure of Traditional Investors and Publishers.

I like what I see, but unless I have a release date I won't ever put money down.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

not really. thats not what the purchases do. in pay to win, you get golden ammo and shit; top-tier equipment that you usually can't get normally.

in SC all you're doing is buying the same ships you'll be buying once the game launches. with RL money, to support the game. the actual equipment on the ship is mediocre at best, and will be common as grass once the game launches.

edit: more common than grass, actually, since the equipment we're getting from the ships will be EVERYWHERE and grass will be limited to maybe 2-3 planets.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

P.sure most of the high-end ships you can buy into can only be obtained through piracy (I mean literal piracy) or rare (like D.ring rare) encounters in spaaaaaace. This info is coming from someone who has invested heavily for one of their low-tier freighters (the ones Bane is definitely talking about) and peruses the dev site a lot.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

uh, no. assuming by high-end you mean large (since there isn't a qualitative difference) the largest ship you can buy is the Idris-P, which is a Corvette and (like every other ship they've sold, with the possible exception of the Scythe and Idris military variant, which they only sold limited numbers of) will be available for purchase with in-game currency after launch... though it will probably be fabulously expensive. Since it's fabulously expensive IRL, too.

The largest ships in the game will, yes, only be obtainable through extremely rare events or by pirating them from NPCs. But those ships have never been, and never will be, available for purchase with real money. (from the legit store, anyway. always the grey market)

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I really wanted an Idris, but ended up settling with a Constellation.

But like Bane said: right now the largest ship is a corvette. I'm sure the carriers, dreadnoughts and other stuff will be coming later.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

later as in playable, yes. later as in buyable, no. they've explicitly said the only way to get them (carriers specifically, i don't recall if they mentioned smaller capital ships) is going to be to either salvage them or board them and take them from the NPC navies yourself. or, eventually, from other players. i suppose once there's been a few recovered you'll be able to buy them from other players, but never from CIG.

it's also worth noting that you can't actually fly the idris (or anything larger) by yourself. doesn't work. you need a crew, as opposed to the other buyable ships where having additional crew is optional. fortunately, you can hire AIs as well as other players, so you could- in pactice- fly it by yourself. But they're setting it up so that having another player is always a better option.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Then he was talking out his ass because he said there was a capital ship for $5k or something (not on Kickstarter). Sorry for bringing it up.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

well, that actually makes more sense. i was under the impression YOU were the person you were sourcing, but if it's a friend, I think i see where you got mixed up: There's a pretty lively gray market for the rare ships, like the military idris variant, or ships with Lifetime Insurance (Which is a very minor perk).. The devs have established a policy of keeping such transactions off their forums, but have decided not to ban anyone who does it. So it's not an example of pay-to-win, it's an example of nerds being really fucking nerdy. You can't get LTI anymore, since it was a brief "pledge now and you get this!" bonus from early in the kickstarter campaign, so naturally it commands a decent price markup. And the rare hulls, like the military idris, command an even larger markup. So it is entirely plausible that someone bought an Idris for 5k... but that hardly makes the game pay to win.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I bought one of those $20 ships, does that make me a StarBro

actually it may have been $40, been so long I don't remember. Think it's one of the Auroras, LN or so

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

prolly $40. did it come with a copy of the game? because you can buy "packages" which include the desired ship, game copy/alpha/beta access, some starting credits, and some other goodies, depending on the size... but you can also just buy the ships alone, which doesn't get you a game copy or anything else.

if you didn't it's not a big deal- you can melt it down and use the store credit to buy one that does come with a game copy. depending on when you made your original purchase, you may lose out on LTI, but that's a pretty minor perk.

anyway, either way, yes, you're totes a starbro.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

yea it's the game package, I logged on and checked because it was annoying me that I couldn't remember. by the looks it was the $45 one, maybe i'll upgrade to one of the fancier ones at some point

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

good deal. i hope you have good self control because thats how it starts.

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

Are we looking to see Alpha anytime soon? I got in on this for a Freelancer ship during the Kickstarter, but I haven't bothered with the hangar or anything up to this point.

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

The dogfighting module was supposed to be released at the end of last year, but it was delayed to March/April.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

yeah. and there isn't going to be a complete alpha until much later, but we'll be able to test each module as it becomes functional. hangar module last year, dogfighting module in the next month or two. i dont remember what's next after that.

i can't actually do anything with it yet. my PC can barely run the hangar module, and it weeps when i make it try. fortunately i'm getting a new one this holiday season so yeah.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

So, those of you who've been following this game are probably already aware, but they're doing a contest called The Next Great Starship. Bunch of teams competing to put a ship in the game. They started with a LOT of teams, and had them submit a weapon design (supposed to be a rapid-fire gun that mixes human and alien technology). They narrowed the teams down to 24 to start with, then started the show itself. They judged each weapon, and among its little sub-group selected which got in and which didn't. The losers then went on to a "Wildcard" slot where the community voted in their favorite. That narrowed it down to 16, and they've moved on to the next phase: concepting the Starship itself.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...great-starship

The first episode of the starship phase aired tonight, and it was really fun. I'm a little disappointed in a couple of the earlier choices made, since both of those choices would have freed up slots for what I thought were more promising designs. Particularly since both the teams I had in mind got eliminated today, and one just got HAMMERED by the judges. Their concept was okay, but the material they submitted was pretty on-par with the kind of sketches I do, which does not speak well for them. They could have done things to alleviate that, and didn't. It also turns out they actually withdrew from the competition a few days after the previous episode, so I'm wondering if something came up IRL for them and the judges just never got the memo or what.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

So apparently Star Citizen will be running on a modified CryEngine (4th generation) which looks amazing if you have seen the demos. I cant wait to see the dogfight module.

CryEngine demo

Speaks in riddles
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reyd Nalaar
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

Dogfight presentation tonight at 6PST/9EST

http://www.twitch.tv/roberts_space_ind_ch_1
    twitch stream

Other than the Gloves/Helmet chanting, that was pretty damn terrible. They could have just prepared a bunch of videos instead of that travesty.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag