FFXIV Character
    Tekni Wintersbane
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Mok'Nathal

yeah the game looks crazy good even on low settings, but i was getting crazy frame rate stutters/freezes indoors

New Merits
    BG Level

Managed a few rounds of vanduul swarm this evening and got as far as quantum jumping to an asteroid field in the PTU.

If you're using keyboard/mouse and aren't worried about gimbal mounts then I have a suggestion that might help.

You can make the flight more responsive to your mouse movements by activating relative mode with Ctrl+ C then deactivating Look-ahead mode with Alt Gr + M.
    It helps if you give it a moment between turning on relative mode and deactivating Look-ahead mode. Turning off look-ahead mode uses the right-alt as the modifier, I'm not sure if all keyboards have it marked as "Alt Gr" any-more.

What this will do will make the ship turn with your mouse movements directly, much more like flying in games like Descent II. I much prefer this to the default gimbal mode where you initially move the gimbal targetter and then the ship turns lazily after a certain point.

All your weapons will fire at your central cross-hair as if not gimballed (even if they are). I actually prefer this too. The added benefit of this is you can remove your gimbal-mounts from your ship and use weapons a size larger than your gimballed ones. So a double-win as far as I am concerned. More responsive and more fire-power.

Just don't mix weapon-types within the same fire-groups though as the different travel-times will mean you need to lead your targets by different amounts in order to hit.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

They really have money to burn it seems =)

Not really my thing (I'm medieval fantasy freak hehe) but I wish SC all the best, it is crucial for the future of gaming (not just indies).

New Merits
    BG Level

Hey - Star Citizen are giving away ships in an hourly raffle on their Gamescom stream live in Cologne.

So far they've given away an Aurora LN, 300i, Hornet, Freelancer. Next is a Connie.
    Starting to wonder what the last one will be; it's not too many steps until a Carrack or something super-shiny.

https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/gamescom

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Was a pretty great stream!

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

I'm tempted to request a refund for my kickstarter pledge. We're coming up on 4 years since they collected my money. At least I'm only in for $110 instead of thousands like a good number of people.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Intrinsic View Post
    I'm tempted to request a refund for my kickstarter pledge. We're coming up on 4 years since they collected my money. At least I'm only in for $110 instead of thousands like a good number of people.
    What tier was it at when you funded/expectation?
    The original "space fighter arena" available already, and a ton of the other stuff as well.

I'm in for $25 on the anniversary package, which gets me squadron 42+PU+FPS, so I'm fairly happy, and I prob got a good 20 hours playtime racing already although there are probably people with a few hundred hours already as well.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's not like it's pure vaporware with zero changes or growth. The game is moving forward at a decent clip, with a good amount of transparency in the development.

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    What tier was it at when you funded/expectation?
    The original "space fighter arena" available already, and a ton of the other stuff as well.

I'm in for $25 on the anniversary package, which gets me squadron 42+PU+FPS, so I'm fairly happy, and I prob got a good 20 hours playtime racing already although there are probably people with a few hundred hours already as well.
    I kickstarted for the $110 Digital Freelancer tier. Somehow I get the feeling that I'm not actually understanding the question correctly? Expectation for the game was end of 2014, we're past that by 2 years now.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yeah, it's been delayed, ALOT.

But like I said, it hasn't disappeared (like your standard kickstarter vaporware) with no tangible changes or improvements (like 90% of the shit on Steam Early Access). It's continually being updated with sizable advancements.

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Yeah, it's been delayed, ALOT.

But like I said, it hasn't disappeared (like your standard kickstarter vaporware) with no tangible changes or improvements (like 90% of the shit on Steam Early Access). It's continually being updated with sizable advancements.
    I wouldn't actually request a refund, it isn't even about the money really. I just saw the Gamescom video and thought, holy shit it's been 4 years, this isn't ever going to get done. I remember when I pledged my line of thinking was thank you for the embarrassing amount of time I spent playing Privateer, I got probably thousands of dollars worth of entertainment out of that game so here you go. If I ever get to play merchant in this new world, the wait will have been worth it in the end.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Personally I've always been on the Squardon 42 train, which afaik is still set to release this year.

New Merits
    BG Level

Yeah I think I've taken the view that this game is trying to be THE space game everyone has always talked about being possible one day but never really made. The transparency of the development makes it clear the game is coming along.

I wouldn't have backed Star Citizen if it was going to be a 1-2 year dev cycle space shooter.

The appeal is that it combines all the things you could do in legendary games like Star Flight, Tie Fighter and so on with the potential to live an existence as shown in Star Wars, Star Trek, Firefly and The Expanse. All from a true first-person perspective.

A game like this was always going to happen at some point in gaming history, it was probably going to be a case of when, not if.

@Intrinsic I'm mad jelly you have that package. Hold on to it. Think of it like an investment in enjoyment to come.

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

Quote Originally Posted by Aleth View Post
    Yeah I think I've taken the view that this game is trying to be THE space game everyone has always talked about being possible one day but never really made. The transparency of the development makes it clear the game is coming along.

I wouldn't have backed Star Citizen if it was going to be a 1-2 year dev cycle space shooter.

The appeal is that it combines all the things you could do in legendary games like Star Flight, Tie Fighter and so on with the potential to live an existence as shown in Star Wars, Star Trek, Firefly and The Expanse. All from a true first-person perspective.

A game like this was always going to happen at some point in gaming history, it was probably going to be a case of when, not if.

@Intrinsic I'm mad jelly you have that package. Hold on to it. Think of it like an investment in enjoyment to come.
    It's not actually all that special anymore is it? Lifetime insurance (which I read is going to be relatively cheap) and Squadron 42 (which I realize is now a $15 value) are really all that's different than if I went and just purchased the same package from the store I believe. Or am I off on that?

EDIT And Beta too maybe? Wait, what happened to alpha? I've been ignoring this for way too long apparently.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's at Alpha 2.4.1 atm

New Merits
    BG Level

Mostly because the Freelancer seems awesome to me but - You've got Squadron 42 and LTI on probably one of the most useful ships. If you watch the live-streams the freelancer is the go-to ship for goofing around with friends it seems.

If you were to get Star Citizen now you'd have to buy both S42 and the ship. The ship alone is $150, S42 is $54. Add on that the grey-market values LTI at about $40 as well as alpha/beta access.

So currently your pledge would cost about $204 to get close to, without LTI. But realistically your pledge is worth in the ballpark of $250.

I think you'll get to have some fun with it when it comes round. If you don't wait well, just forget about it for a year or two - otherwise hop on the hype-train and enjoy the ride! :D

Edit: Prices have 20% VAT on here but it's still over $200 worth

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Intrinsic View Post
    I kickstarted for the $110 Digital Freelancer tier. Somehow I get the feeling that I'm not actually understanding the question correctly? Expectation for the game was end of 2014, we're past that by 2 years now.
    If you were on that kickstarter edition, then pretty much everything you backed for has been released already, it's just the crazy stretch goals you're missing.

Squadron 42 is going to be on sale for $60 to non-backers. It's currently $54 on early purchase.
    In the PU your hornet from kickstarter is $150 if you wanna buy it alone right now.

You can literally login now, play the arena battling component ( which is all the early kickstarter was aiming for ) as much as you like forever, with your pretty sweet hornet.

You could straight up sell your LTI hornet for $160+ as well.

tldr, you got a good value package. Refunding is dumb, sell it or play it.

Digital colonel accounts selling for $210+ as well.

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

Quote Originally Posted by Aleth View Post
    Mostly because the Freelancer seems awesome to me but - You've got Squadron 42 and LTI on probably one of the most useful ships. If you watch the live-streams the freelancer is the go-to ship for goofing around with friends it seems.

If you were to get Star Citizen now you'd have to buy both S42 and the ship. The ship alone is $150, S42 is $54. Add on that the grey-market values LTI at about $40 as well as alpha/beta access.

So currently your pledge would cost about $204 to get close to, without LTI. But realistically your pledge is worth in the ballpark of $250.

I think you'll get to have some fun with it when it comes round. If you don't wait well, just forget about it for a year or two - otherwise hop on the hype-train and enjoy the ride! :D

Edit: Prices have 20% VAT on here but it's still over $200 worth
    I did a bunch of reading today to finally get caught up. My basic version of Freelancer is worth $125 today as a starter package (instead of the 110 I paid) and people are estimating as you said that LTI will come out somewhere worth 30-40$. SQ42 will soon be released as a $15 addon for people that buy a PU Package, in fact there's already starter packages that come with SQ42 added on at $15. So it's worth $45 now, but much less pretty soon. Still, I did end up getting a pretty good deal, even though I have almost no interest in playing SQ42. I may have to redownload the hangar just for the hell of it. No real interest in the arena or anything, but might be nice to get the hang of flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    If you were on that kickstarter edition, then pretty much everything you backed for has been released already, it's just the crazy stretch goals you're missing.

Squadron 42 is going to be on sale for $60 to non-backers. It's currently $54 on early purchase.
    In the PU your hornet from kickstarter is $150 if you wanna buy it alone right now.

You can literally login now, play the arena battling component ( which is all the early kickstarter was aiming for ) as much as you like forever, with your pretty sweet hornet.

You could straight up sell your LTI hornet for $160+ as well.

tldr, you got a good value package. Refunding is dumb, sell it or play it.

Digital colonel accounts selling for $210+ as well.
    Yah, I probably should have gone for a Digital Colonel, but I enjoyed Privateer so much I went with the Freelancer instead. Probably should have picked up both actually, I know I have a few friends who will jump on this when the PU comes out.

New Merits
    BG Level

They're giving away ships again today - get on twitch! Last one was a 325A. It's a Hornet F7C at the moment...

https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag