Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Addendum on the permanent weapons, it's actually worse.

250 Candy Corn + 10 Crystalline Dust + 40 Elonian Wine + 100 of X Rare Halloween Crafting Material = Gift

Gift of Souls + 250 Orichalcum Ingot + 100 Charged Lodestone + 20 Glob of Ectoplasm = Staff

Gift of Spiders + 250 Orichalcum Ingot + 100 Destroyer Lodestone + 20 Glob of Ectoplasm = Short Bow

Gift of the Moon + 250 Orichalcum Ingot + 100 Corrupted Lodestone + 20 Glob of Ectoplasm = Shield

Confirmed to be factual. Effectively 10~15g for a gift and 120~130g for the full weapon. A Halloween event item. L O fucking L. I don't know who the fuck they expected would sink this many resources into these three weapons, of which only the staff is worth any effort whatsoever and even that is iffy compared to the one from chests that you can buy for like 40g.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It's true. I would kill a small, cuddly animal for that scythe. fuck.

also
    LOL @ below

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The plot thickens lmao

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Wow. Really? What in the fuck. What happened to being able to do everything/get everything an event had to offer as long as you had the time to commit to it?

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I don't know. I think I'll be playing the GW1 Halloween event over the GW2 one. At least there I don't have to spend $50 or more on my costumes and tonics and stuff.

Right now the recipe is:

Gift Recipe: 250 Candy Corn + 10 Crystalline Dust + 40 Elonian Wines + 100 of X Rare Halloween Crafting Material

Gift: 250 Orichalcum Ingots + 20 Ectoplasm + 100 X Lodestones + Dungeon Gift

Lodestones
    Charged = Souls (Staff)
    Destroyer = Spiders (Short Bow)
    Corrupted = Moon (Shield)

Dungeon Gifts
    Gift of Knowledge = Souls (Staff) Crucible of Eternity
    Gift of Ascalon = Spiders (Short Bow) Ascalonian Catacombs
    Gift of Thorns = Moon (Shield) Twilight Arbor

Weapon: Gift + ?? + ?? + ??

Did I mention that these weapons are Exotics?

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

And you're bitching why? It's for a weapon that's basically a one-time a year sort of get.. so it'll be just as rare as the legendary as far as the skin is concerned. Of course it's going to be fucking hard to get. I've been calling it a mini-legendary since I learned about it, Lol.

Also fucking LOL at the amount of bitching people are doing about keys and chests and how much real life cash they're spending while the chests are not giving them higher chances of getting these RARE, ONE OF A KIND sort of weapon skins for a game based completely around COSMETICS. Boo fucking hoo. No one twisted anyone's arm to buy gems for the keys. Farm dat gold and buy gems through in game cash to gem conversion.

I'm so shocked that something to do with gambling (chests) don't give you a higher chance of winning during a 'holiday'! Shocked I tell you.

Because it's incredibly ridiculous to have an event item as a "prestige" item. The crafting mats are stupidly high for having a week to craft (with no way to have known what to gather beforehand).

They had an opportunity here to put in some really fun weapon/armor skins for the holiday and totally dropped the ball by preventing 95% of the userbase from ever touching it.

Grind Wars 2 indeed.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    And you're bitching why? It's for a weapon that's basically a one-time a year sort of get.. so it'll be just as rare as the legendary as far as the skin is concerned. Of course it's going to be fucking hard to get. I've been calling it a mini-legendary since I learned about it, Lol.

Also fucking LOL at the amount of bitching people are doing about keys and chests and how much real life cash they're spending while the chests are not giving them higher chances of getting these RARE, ONE OF A KIND sort of weapon skins for a game based completely around COSMETICS. Boo fucking hoo. No one twisted anyone's arm to buy gems for the keys. Farm dat gold and buy gems through in game cash to gem conversion.

I'm so shocked that something to do with gambling (chests) don't give you a higher chance of winning during a 'holiday'! Shocked I tell you.
    idk bro, maybe for the same reason you bitch in every other thread about things other people think are dumb?
    bad design is bad design, it doesn't matter how, when, or where it manifests itself.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Arelian View Post
    Because it's incredibly ridiculous to have an event item as a "prestige" item. The crafting mats are stupidly high for having a week to craft (with no way to have known what to gather beforehand).

They had an opportunity here to put in some really fun weapon/armor skins for the holiday and totally dropped the ball by preventing 95% of the userbase from ever touching it.

Grind Wars 2 indeed.
    So you're saying everyone should be running around with their Scythe Staves, Chainsaws, and so on? Instead of the perma ones being rare?

And fyi.. the only thing you actually need to have to craft before the event is over is the recipe itself. Practically everything else can be obtained even after the events are over.

But hey. Can't please everyone. Wah. I can't get the specific skin I wanted. QQ

Also I came in saying I severely doubt this event would be that great.. and people bitching so much already day one just has me rolling.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkSammich View Post
    idk bro, maybe for the same reason you bitch in every other thread about things other people think are dumb?
    bad design is bad design, it doesn't matter how, when, or where it manifests itself.
    Because people are bitching about skin rates in the chests being bad.. in a gambling portion of the game that nearly every freemium game has.. where the option is there to never actually spend cash at all since you can spend in game money.

I think it's silly. so I'm making it known. There a problem with that?

No, I'm saying that I shouldn't have to grind out some asinine recipes to obtain nearly every weapon/armor skin (even seasonals). If this is any hint at the future, all the GW2 events are just going to be different versions of the legendary grind. Not all of us want to grind out 100 Lodestones, 100 Ecto, etc... to make an interesting looking weapon. It's a massive letdown.

Edit: I also don't care about the chest thing. RNG is gonna RNG. It's silly that it's such a low drop-rate but whatever.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Why are people bitching? Because every single seasonal event in Guild Wars 1 was possible to complete and do everything with time and a little luck, but could be sped up with the use of money if you so desired. Now they're requiring people to spend copious amounts of money for mostly shitty weapon skins? Seasonal Events were fun in Guild Wars 1 because it allowed you to get cool things that were quirky and fun by just playing the game and having fun while doing the events.

You know what's not fun? Grinding your ass off to farm gold for quirky things.

It's a complete 180 from their original philosophy of doing seasonal events.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

It's silly about the drop rate, I agree. Perhaps like.. 1-5% is a tad low. But the grind out for seasonal specific, one of a kind weapons isn't so. It's not like it's saying 'grind grind grind straight through the holiday or you'll never get it!'.. just a part of it (the recipe I believe, not sure on the other two gifts you need) and then you can have the rest of the time whenever to work on it if you really want it.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Because people are bitching about skin rates in the chests being bad.. in a gambling portion of the game that nearly every freemium game has.. where the option is there to never actually spend cash at all since you can spend in game money.

I think it's silly. so I'm making it known. There a problem with that?
    I'm saying it's a two way street. Just because people are displeased with a sector of the game that isn't categorized as gameplay/balance/whatever doesn't mean the complaints aren't valid.
    It's like me saying ranger is a trash ezmode class, I laugh at anyone who doesn't think shortbow nerfs were warranted, and anyone that's not satisfied with it right now is being a baby. Note that that's not how I feel, but you get the idea.

Edit:
    I'm actually grinding corrupted lodestones as we speak to buy this shit.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

Got my monthly, probably do the events and jump puzzle then that's it for me.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Kuishen View Post
    Why are people bitching? Because every single seasonal event in Guild Wars 1 was possible to complete and do everything with time and a little luck, but could be sped up with the use of money if you so desired. Now they're requiring people to spend copious amounts of money for mostly shitty weapon skins? Seasonal Events were fun in Guild Wars 1 because it allowed you to get cool things that were quirky and fun by just playing the game and having fun while doing the events.

It's a complete 180 from their original philosophy of doing seasonal events.
    And if they were shitty weapon skins, why bitch? If someone wants something hard enough, they should work for it, not have a 50% chance to get it from chests where you can get keys to open them by simply spending about 20-30 minutes doing a story quest with a lowbie char to level 10 to get it.

But yeah, maybe this philosophy isn't the same as GW1. Things change. Stuff gets shittier. It happens.

Anyway, I'm done here. My opinion on this won't match other people's because I have a different mindset on things, so whatever. Sorry it's not easy to get the weapon skins.

Just so you know, by the way, I'm not white knighting. I think it's a shitty deal, I think Halloween as a 'holiday event' is meh because I don't respect it as a holiday to begin with, and I think most of the skins suck ass anyway.

@Clark: Don't worry about grinding the corrupted lodestones. Do that post holiday or whatever. Just work on getting the halloween monster mats and candy corn first, would be my advice.

To me it's a matter of ANet abusing the Mystic Forge. If it's not something obtainable from a dungeon set, you're going to be grinding shit out to slap into that genie's asshole. It's sheer laziness on their behalf.

Give me a cool weapon or armor for doing all the jumping puzzles, or perhaps for getting all the newly added boss achievements! Instead, if you see something interesting you are going to have to put shit in the mystic forge and have the genie crap it out for you.

They really had a chance to reward players with something cool and/or interesting for participating in the Halloween events, and thus far it looks like that isn't the case.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

And if they were shitty weapon skins, why bitch? If someone wants something hard enough, they should work for it, not have a 50% chance to get it from chests where you can get keys to open them by simply spending about 20-30 minutes doing a story quest with a lowbie char to level 10 to get it.
    They're supposed to be shitty/silly weapon skins, that's point of it being a seasonal event. They're also supposed to be accessible to everybody.

It'd be like in XI having each of those dumb Halloween furniture items cost 5-10mil. (A couple years ago.)

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Arelian View Post
    To me it's a matter of ANet abusing the Mystic Forge. If it's not something obtainable from a dungeon set, you're going to be grinding shit out to slap into that genie's asshole. It's sheer laziness on their behalf.

Give me a cool weapon or armor for doing all the jumping puzzles, or perhaps for getting all the newly added boss achievements! Instead, if you see something interesting you are going to have to put shit in the mystic forge and have the genie crap it out for you.

They really had a chance to reward players with something cool and/or interesting for participating in the Halloween events, and thus far it looks like that isn't the case.
    Jumping puzzles? Most of the puzzles are fucking easy. Why should the game reward you for that? All I'm hearing really is a bunch of QQ I don't want to work for something QQ. It's the nature of today's gamer, though. They'd rather have shit given to them on a silver platter. At least these don't require all the things true legendaries require. So be thankful for that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuishen View Post
    They're supposed to be shitty/silly weapon skins, that's point of it being a seasonal event. They're also supposed to be accessible to everybody.

It'd be like in XI having each of those dumb Halloween furniture items cost 5-10mil. (A couple years ago.)
    FFXI is a horrible example considering how terrible their events in general were, lol. Plus comparing furniture in a game where .. I mean I guess if you want to care how your house looks, more power to you, but this is for something Cosmetic (a weapon no less) in a game where when it comes to gear.. it's ALL about the cosmetics. I mean.. I know I just said to not compare it to FFXI, but let's for a moment. Remember those staves you could get? Like the bat staff with charges on it and shit? Or the trident? And how completely useless they were in an actual fight with Faf or whatever? If that's how THESE weapon skins were.. then I'd say this is the dumbest shit I've ever seen.

But it's not. You cosmetic them onto any of the weapons you use for your particular build and can keep it forever, even post Halloween. That's why they're a bitch to get.

But like I said, we won't see eye to eye here so it's best I stop before we get into it further. If you want to really pick up, though.. feel free to whisper me in game (Cakey, etc) or PM me.

Also yeah, I know you said 'they're supposed to be silly/shitty' but I guess Anet wanted to give us something that, if we worked really hard/ground it out, we could have some really cool cosmetics for our shit. Not that I think any of it's really that cool.. but whatever floats people's boat.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Not to beat a dead horse, but this guy on the official forums explained a lot of people's attitude toward the situation in a much more eloquent way than anyone here:

To the posters insulting people who bought keys and expected an item:
    We aren’t talking about the US economy or housing market. We’re talking about a stupid video game where people want to run around with a pumpkin rifle. Based on colorful advertising and good faith, a lot of people paid some money with the understanding that doing so would give them a “chance” at those items.

That “chance” is being proven to be aggressively small. Different people came into this with different expectations, but I do think its safe to say that the cost of keys, coupled with the tiny percent chance of a skin, equates to a more cynical policy than fans of Anet anticipated.

Fair enough. Lesson learned. Personal responsibility also means licking your wounds and moving on. Those that feel they got misled, will be less likely to give Anet cash like that on impulse.
    In my opinion, that’s bad business for Anet, and less fun for the players who weren’t so lucky. It didn’t have to be that way, and I don’t think there is ANY harm in lambasting Anet for this mess. They can, and should do better by their players.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast