• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

PC Building Novice - Looking for some thoughts Advice/Selections on parts.

Hello, PC Techs of BG.

I'm building my 1st/second pc and just wanted some thoughts and comments on my selections.

Some General information of what im planning to do with PC.

PC Focus - Gaming/(Starting to get into video editing, nothing heavy),Youtube/Social stuff/school.

Overclocking - Yes, Ive been reading some information on how Games run based on "CPU Clock speed" in general. I'm setting up a computer to in the future to SLI my GTX 590 with another GTX 590. (Depending on estimated released dates of GTX 7xx series). For Dual/Triple Moniter Support/HD Movie Editing/(maybe 3D) and Video Recording in 1080p.

Water cooling - Not interested at this time as i must read more on it.

Here are my selections based on my research.
    Case:
    NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower - 119.00
    Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811146068

SSD:
    Intel SSD 180 GB - 149.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820167122

Motherboard and CPU (Selection Advice needed)

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
    Motheboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...=Combo.1033223

Ram:
    Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PGD38G1600ELK
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220558

Notes - I choose the combo because experience from combo's have proven to me the technology has been tested in that device and results were for the most part successful.

Other parts list
    GPU - GTX 590 (Bought already, planning to buy 2nd depending on 7xx release dates)

PSU: Have currently a 700 Corsair WATT PSU, been working wonderful will take from old built PC and use.

HDD: I work at Best Buy and will buy a 7200 RPM 2TB HDD as well use my 1.5 TB one in my current built PC.

Optical drive: Will take optical drive from CPU and integrate it into this New PC.

The total Price for my Selections to basically Build a Brand new PC with Exception to Video Card and PSU is 624.96 I think ive done an exceptional job at picking and choosing based on what i want to do and looking for feedback

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Didn't look through all parts, just a hint: don't get that RAM. Use plain, "naked" RAM, not any kind of "gaming" or "OC" RAM with fancy heat spreaders. Thost most of the time serve no other purpose than to hide the RAM chips, because they often use chips that aren't specified for the advertised speeds and MUST be run with higher voltage to reach them.
    RAM OC isn't worth it anyway.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Didn't look through all parts, just a hint: don't get that RAM. Use plain, "naked" RAM, not any kind of "gaming" or "OC" RAM with fancy heat spreaders. Thost most of the time serve no other purpose than to hide the RAM chips, because they often use chips that aren't specified for the advertised speeds and MUST be run with higher voltage to reach them.
    RAM OC isn't worth it anyway.
    To be fair, that RAM isn't particularly expensive and could be a lot worse.

@TheBlazed

I wouldn't bother with 2x 590 myself, they're ridiculously expensive for that they are now not to mention rare, limited to 1.5GB vRAM (not enough for high res gaming with current gen games which can easily use 2GB vRAM and go up from there) and quad GPU is more of a benchmarking rig than a gaming rig, you'll get poor scaling in most games that actually work at all. Get a better MB as well, you listed a budget board that tbh isn't even a good budget board. Also combo's are generally bad as they often pair up desirable components with shit they are probably having a hard time selling.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kLMD $775 but has much better MB, a cooler (you missed this part), better RAM (can OC to 2133MHz, not that it'll make too much difference in gaming so could easily get cheaper 1600MHz CAS9 1.5v RAM), larger SSD (Samsung is known for their quality with 830 series, also has same 3 year warranty).

If that's too much then http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kLNt cheapest MB I'll buy with a k series CPU, cheapest cooler I'll buy that can still get decent OC, basic 1600MHz RAM, same case/SSD

Depending on how much you get into video editing then a i7 3770k might be worthwhile, better cooler (higher OC) and faster RAM will benefit it as well.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

I would honestly wait on the SSD until the absolute last second as the prices are dropping like crazy
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...218&CatId=5300 -- 120 for 60 bucks

everything else honestly looks good, while I do now like a nice third party cooler, the intel stock coolers are very effecient and high quality, so you can get by with one of those without issue. I personally dont bother with overclocking ram but YMMV
    I also agree with not bothering on SLI, the money is better spent on a faster single video card which will beat your current 590 and cost less
    a 680 uses half the power of your 590 and is very efficient, Id go for sleek, not beast in this instance

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

If tldr, don't overclock your RAM, it's fucking stupid.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Sell the 590 and get a 7970, and somtimes you might overclock your ram a bit when you oc the cpu so its nice to have the headroom you can also tighten the timings.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa View Post
    I would honestly wait on the SSD until the absolute last second as the prices are dropping like crazy
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...218&CatId=5300 -- 120 for 60 bucks

everything else honestly looks good, while I do now like a nice third party cooler, the intel stock coolers are very effecient and high quality, so you can get by with one of those without issue. I personally dont bother with overclocking ram but YMMV
    I also agree with not bothering on SLI, the money is better spent on a faster single video card which will beat your current 590 and cost less
    a 680 uses half the power of your 590 and is very efficient, Id go for sleek, not beast in this instance
    That SSD is only so cheap because it's a Vertex 3, it's an outdated SSD that's had it's fair share of problems, *most* of which have be solved by firmware updates but it's basically never recommended anymore, especially with the release of a Vertex 4 (even then most still go for Crucial/Samsung/Intel route).

680 uses half the power of a 590 because it's a single card vs dual card, 590 should be faster (excluding games with SLI issues) than a single 680/7970 and although sli 680 or 690 would be better I don't think it'll be a worthwhile upgrade unless using a triple monitor rig at which point CF 7970 GHz would be better suited.

1. Alright i appreciate the responses, i don't really plan to do much with Triple monitors/Benchmarks. I'm one of those people who likes to run games at there maximum potential and still come out with 120+ FPS lol.

Reading about the latest 6xx series GPU's the only one that really comes close in terms of power to the 590 is the GTX 690 and i have no intention of paying $600+~1000dollars.

a few sites are recommending if you have GTX 590 to skip the 6xx series GPU's because no game on the market atm is giving the 590 a hard time. Which i agree with having most of the latest games.

2. Also i think overclocking ram is kinda "If you want to" as well... its only useful with texture rendering if i understand it correctly. OC Memory = more data bandwidth/availability for CPU which results is textures loading/rendering faster.
    Ive also read you see minimal gains when OC'ing memory because usually to see something significant you need to clock it higher than what its actually capable of being stable at? (correct) me if i'm wrong.

3. Doesn't Samsung make Intel's SSD's and intel just slaps its name on it?
    The 256 one i have selected below is quite for 169.99 nice although i will take sonamaa's advice and probably wait till last minute since its not needed and see if i can get a samsung/intel for cheap.

4. Anyone have advice on PNY Ram? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PNY+-+Op...&skuId=2327496

Kinda a steal for 14.99 each but cheap is usually bad sometimes but ram i know is kinda different.

Also these are coming for free with motherboard, since they are can i just go ahead and get them?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220558 (The Patriot Ram 2x4gb

Here is my final selections... will be using the Stock cooler with the intel chip http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kOfo

Old Merits
    BG Level

That RAM isn't an amazing deal but is a tiny bit cheaper for 1333MHz (about $3 cheaper per stick than normal for individual sticks or $2 total if buying 2*4GB set), bestbuy and other brick and mortal shops are rarely any good for components though. That Patriot RAM is decent though if you get it with the MB (don't see that deal anywhere though), if buying separate then may as well go with slightly cheaper RAM I listed in second build ($1 saving, wooo). For gaming you'll probably be looking at ~1% FPS boosts from faster RAM (most sets other than that Samsung stuff don't OC well/at all), in video editing and other stuff there is a bit of larger boost though. Intel vs Samsung: I believe Intel use sandforce but pick the best of the best and have amazing firmware, whereas Samsung make their own just about everything for SSDs. Intel is typically the most reliable but is most expensive and sometimes sacrifices performance, Crucial make fairly reliable but cheaper drives and Samsung sits in the middle reliability/price wise.

Why get all of this and use the stock cooler though? Waste of a good CPU/MB and you might as well get a locked CPU and H77 MB, the K and more expensive MB won't do much if you aren't going to OC and you won't safely be going far beyond 4GHz OC with a stock cooler, even basic Hyper 212 will get you 4.4~4.6GHz but with a P8Z77-V you'll want a top end cooler to make full use of the better components and VRMs; an Extreme4 will easily get a 4.4~4.6GHz OC

Quote Originally Posted by Jojimbo View Post
    That RAM isn't an amazing deal but is a tiny bit cheaper for 1333MHz (about $3 cheaper per stick than normal for individual sticks or $2 total if buying 2*4GB set), bestbuy and other brick and mortal shops are rarely any good for components though. That Patriot RAM is decent though if you get it with the MB (don't see that deal anywhere though), if buying separate then may as well go with slightly cheaper RAM I listed in second build ($1 saving, wooo). For gaming you'll probably be looking at ~1% FPS boosts from faster RAM (most sets other than that Samsung stuff don't OC well/at all), in video editing and other stuff there is a bit of larger boost though. Intel vs Samsung: I believe Intel use sandforce but pick the best of the best and have amazing firmware, whereas Samsung make their own just about everything for SSDs. Intel is typically the most reliable but is most expensive and sometimes sacrifices performance, Crucial make fairly reliable but cheaper drives and Samsung sits in the middle reliability/price wise.

Why get all of this and use the stock cooler though? Waste of a good CPU/MB and you might as well get a locked CPU and H77 MB, the K and more expensive MB won't do much if you aren't going to OC and you won't safely be going far beyond 4GHz OC with a stock cooler, even basic Hyper 212 will get you 4.4~4.6GHz but with a P8Z77-V you'll want a top end cooler to make full use of the better components and VRMs; an Extreme4 will easily get a 4.4~4.6GHz OC
    Meh, after thinking about it your right and its not that expensive specially since not getting a good one wouldnt allow me to clock past a certain point. And i was planning on trying to hit 4.4/4.5..

I read some people were able to hit 4.x~ on stock coolers... maybe they are in a room with AC.

Ill probably grab the one you recommended

Old Merits
    BG Level

You can get 4.4GHz on stock volts, I was able to be stable at 4.4 with an offset of -0.015v however with a Hyper 212 EVO + 2 fans in P/P I was still getting temps of ~76c in a not particularly hot room (no air con but hadn't yet began using heating again), of course this was using IBT so in game temps can be lower but with stock you'll easily be approaching the 90s which is way too hot for a daily clock imo. Maybe if you had delidded the CPU and replaced stock TIM with Liquid Pro (dropped my temps by ~20c) it'll work, but going to such effort and then putting stock cooler on seems like a waste lol, I only done it because I'm WCing soon (waiting on GPU blocks to be in stock, have almost everything else).

Is this CPU cooler neccessary? http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

I want to OC to 4.5~ but do i really need a 90$ CPU cooler?

Old Merits
    BG Level

You have to link the Permalink part, I can't see what you have. For 4.4GHz (maybe 4.5-4.6GHz with a good chip) then you can get away with a Hyper 212 EVO for $27

Quote Originally Posted by Jojimbo View Post
    You have to link the Permalink part, I can't see what you have. For 4.4GHz (maybe 4.5-4.6GHz with a good chip) then you can get away with a Hyper 212 EVO for $27
    Its that phanteks you recommended high end cooler.... looks like best one on market next to noctua
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835709001

Old Merits
    BG Level

It is, but if you are only aiming for moderate OC then EVO 212 will work while costing a lot less. If you want lower temps and/or slightly higher OC then get the Phanteks.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

For future reference, there's a stickied topic just for this: PC Build Advice/Review Thread

Glad to see more faces chiming in, always helps to have more perspectives.