1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 8 hours, 38 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 15 hours, 21 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 1 hours, 38 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 8 hours, 21 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Was watching the character creation vid in the other thread and one (just one) thing still bothers me: I'm not a fan of having every option pre-set. I understand why they do it - keeping familiarity with the characters for people who want to "carry over" their character from XI to XIV - but I feel like you're selling your game and graphics engine short if you aren't at least having sliders for SOME options.

Maybe it'll change. Hopefully it'll change and they'll give us both options, but I doubt it, especially because SE never wants anyone to look less than perfectly pretty. I'm not saying I want a fugly manbeast, but I'd rather have 100,000,000 small options with each tick of each slider for each facial part, than a bunch of 6x6 options.
    I'm all for giving everyone the option, but personally I hated overly complex character creators because I'd spend a good hour or so and come up with something mediocre, I like it being simple like GW2 and ARR. At least with these simple presets I know i'll make something an avatar decent looking proportions.

I dislike the million little sliders model as well, it's just a lot of aggravating fine-tuning and the differences are often too subtle to even notice.

I'd much prefer stuff like more varied hairstyles or base facial models (scars, tattoos, piercings? idk) , stuff that you can actually notice without having to zoom in the camera and squint.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

I love the idea of sliders in concept, and I know some folks would make outstanding characters with them. However like Burning said, I'd spend countless hours and only come up with something mediocre at best, and for the life of the game have regrets on how I made it. As for what they showed in this video, there were enough options with enough distinction that I'm comfortable with how it will all turn out.

Just watched the char creator vid and... I can't really see any difference from the current one? (Other than a boob non-slider, and I'm not really that option's target demographic per se). Really hope they add more hair/customization options

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah, right now the amount of options is pretty similar to what 1.0 has, but Yoshi has been mentioning more options a couple of times now, so I guess they will be added later on.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Wow, that video is a major disappointment. Apart from the way it looks, which is a lot nicer than 1.0, it's exactly the same. It's still a list of options to click on, that add the same minute alterations to a character. (I have to say though, I'm glad they kept the boob size respectable.)

Stuff like eye shape etc should have pictures to click on as the features section does, so instead of us having to flick between 5 options and try and see what looks best, we can instead just see at a glance. The Sims got that right 8 years ago!

I know it's been hinted that they'll add more hair styles etc, but l'll only believe that when I see it.

To save people checking the other thread:

I like turtles.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nadrojj Rolyatt
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by xopher View Post
    Yeah "!" is quest notification in modern MMOs. Remember this game is trying hard to be successful so it's borrowing concepts and ideas from all other mmo's, like WoW has been doing for the past 8 years.
    /fixed

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by millionsknives View Post
    I know it's been hinted that they'll add more hair styles etc, but l'll only believe that when I see it.
    I can't find the quote, but I also remember them saying they would unlock existing hairstyles/faces of different races/clans to be used freely. They seem to be dead set against people making ugly characters in their beautiful game. I guess we'll see

Quote Originally Posted by Makwa View Post
    My buddy and I are already saving up paid days off for the release, whenever it may be.
    Seeing these screens makes me excited.
    You do realise that, as with every MMO release in the history of the interwebs, the first few days will be plagued with massive bugs, congestion issues and be generally unplayable.

Do the smart thing, take the week after the release off

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post
    FFXIV situation 1
    Make item 1 -> flood market with item 1 -> no longer make money with item 1 because the people you sold it to, just sells it to the next guy.
    Crafter has to find something new to make thats rare as item 1 is now worth crap.
    Under this scenario, crafters make their money from the rare items. The churnable stuff is low margin (but at least materia conversion keeps it from being negative margin like a lot of gear in XI), but the difficult HQs and multi-melds are the high margin moneymakers. However:

FFXIV Situation 2
    Make item 2 -> flood market with item 2 -> new players, new people to sell too, infact people that already bought one may buy another as they are lvling a new character, and didn't have inventory space to hold it.
    Crafter sets an average price market, as the item is in constantly needed.
    Under this scenario, churnable items have more value (because of no resale market) but the rare, high-dollar items from scenario 1 are no longer worth it. Without a resale market, the prospect of spending millions on buying/making a multi-meld only to have be obsoleted a few patches later is a big discouragement, and that makes the proposition of multi-melding gear pretty questionable (given the current success rates on multi-melds).

I think materia conversion already eliminates any need to add BOE (or rather, BOS) to XIV from an economic standpoint. My guess for the planned usage of BOS is for items that would have been EX in 1.0. You can make elite drops BOS + no sell (instead of EX) and eliminate some of the franticness of post-raid loot pools.

I like turtles.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nadrojj Rolyatt
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Dazusu View Post
    You do realise that, as with every MMO release in the history of the interwebs, the first few days will be plagued with massive bugs, congestion issues and be generally unplayable.

Do the smart thing, take the week after the release off
    Hah, I was just thinking I was going to take the week off they were launching this, glad I read that little tidbit so I can plan accordingly.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    Under this scenario, churnable items have more value (because of no resale market) but the rare, high-dollar items from scenario 1 are no longer worth it. Without a resale market, the prospect of spending millions on buying/making a multi-meld only to have be obsoleted a few patches later is a big discouragement, and that makes the proposition of multi-melding gear pretty questionable (given the current success rates on multi-melds).
    If the item is going to become obsolete a few patches later, there will not be a resale market for long, even if the items themselves aren't BOE.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

I know it's use but stop saying BOE it's BOS

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The only difference being that you can stand around and AFK in town with it on before it binds.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Yep. You can totally use it as afk/town gear and still sell it.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

yup yup Which is important to note imo

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    yup yup Which is important to note imo
    I don't really see how this tiny niche market is important to note, unless you're just being pedantic. Nobody is making large quantities of money off of things people buy to wear in town.

I guarantee if you start call it 'BoS', you're going to get a ton of 'wtf is BoS' responses.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

They finally uploaded the Official Site, lol. Added the TGS and character creationd vids, and the PS3 screens. ._.;

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Stromgarde View Post
    Sounds nice for appearances, but it would be nightmarishly taxing on netcode/overhead when sending data to load a new model.
    Aion, TERA, GW2 and many others do it. Its not nightmarish at all; its pretty standard in this day and age.

Granted, if you've played XI and XIV only, I'd imagine that having even modern UI features is "taxing". Not a knock to you, but honestly, the SE-style MMOs are for consoles first and PCs second. PC-first games have sliders if they're modern and focusing somewhat on graphics.

I suppose we wont know one way or another until well into beta. I'm also interested in seeing the "new" graphics engine so people will stop "ooh"ing and "ahh"ing over the exact same graphics as 1.0 + a few shaders added on.

That dorky-ass hume looks exactly the same as he did in 1.0. I bet the OF posters are drinking the vid up.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Aion, TERA, GW2 and many others do it. Its not nightmarish at all; its pretty standard in this day and age.

Granted, if you've played XI and XIV only, I'd imagine that having even modern UI features is "taxing". Not a knock to you, but honestly, the SE-style MMOs are for consoles first and PCs second. PC-first games have sliders if they're modern and focusing somewhat on graphics.

I suppose we wont know one way or another until well into beta. I'm also interested in seeing the "new" graphics engine so people will stop "ooh"ing and "ahh"ing over the exact same graphics as 1.0 + a few shaders added on.

That dorky-ass hume looks exactly the same as he did in 1.0. I bet the OF posters are drinking the vid up.
    Nah, you're right. I kept thinking about it after Xopher made his comment and it makes sense that it wouldn't be too bad especially considering that that information is only sent once, when the model is initially loaded. The thought that names may also be sent as uncompressed unicode characters would also dwarf character customization data.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast