• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Android and iOS: Requesting Opinions for new Phone

My contract is coming up for renewal, and with iPhone 5 and several new Android phones coming out, I've been doing some research and thinking about how I want to proceed. Been thinking about it from both technical and I guess a personal view. Couldn't find a thread specific to this, so posting here. Could totally use a phone wars thread!

For reference, I currently have an iPhone 4S, and recently spent some time with a Samsung Galaxy S3 as well, and I'm in Montreal, Canada, my provider is Fido, whom I've been with for at least 8 years and have a nice chunk of loyalty points. I pay 55$ a month for, if I remember, 500 anytime minutes, unlimited weekends/evenings, unlimited texting to Canada and the US, and 1 gig data that I rarely go over.

Apple: I can chose to renew my contract, and basically get an iPhone 5 for very cheap. (~50$ or less). I have several apps that I really like, and I enjoy iOS, simplicity, ease of use, and the general "stuff on an iPhone "just works". Apps generally win on iOS from selection and the latest and greatest coming there first, I believe. Taller screen is important too, but I do prefer the wider screens for sure, if only for typing.

Android: Really tempted by the LG Nexus 4 coming out soon. Sure, it doesn't have LTE, but HSPA+ on a Samsung Galaxy S3 I'm pretty sure got me at least 15mbps down, 2 up (iPhone is getting 7.5mbps down, .7 up). Speed as an issue doesn't bother me, since I'm pretty sure I'd get by just fine with even as low as 5 mbps. I've had time to play around with Jelly Bean, which I really enjoyed. Ease of use isn't a big deal for someone who's tech savvy. My carrier may or may not offer the Nexus 4 (though it did offer the previous Nexus), but the Nexus 4 is 299/349$ unlocked direct from Google. Lately I'm really buying into the Google ecosystem, there reasons for not going LTE on the Nexus 4.

Screens on both devices are very nice, battery life is great, apps that I use are generally available on both (but in 2-3 weeks with an ICS Samsung Galaxy S3, I've had more issues (Skype app crashing, annoying stock bloatware.) with Android, though again, that was ICS and not Jelly Bean.

Certainly either phone could work for me, but I'd like to here opinions from people who're more familiar with all the ins and outs of both phones (I very likely won't be Jailbreaking or rooting one way or another unless there's a REALLY compelling reason to do so). Things that interest me most are battery life, the ability to use the phone to tether, any major capability and app differences, and a bit more information on Android in general. Bonus to any fellow Canadians who know of options to go prepaid with data, or any really great plans with other providers!

Banned.

BG Level

I prefer Android because I like to fuck up my phone, but for that you need root which you aren't planning to do, most stock android work great once you remove the bloat.
    I would get an iPhone5 because like you said "it just works" and you're used to it. Though isn't the S3 and the Nexus4 bigger screen than the I5?

tl;dr: Buy an I5 if you wont/dont want to jail/root, buy Android if you want to fiddle with the phone.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

tl;dr: Buy an I5 if you wont/dont want to jail/root, buy Android if you want to fiddle with the phone.
    Backing this up. I'm far too tired/uninterested to fiddle nowadays and would prefer something that works. I'm tech savy, but lazy.

Also, as you already have an iphone 4s, that means you're probably swimming in a pool of apps already which you can transfer to iphone 5.

Personally I'd go down the Apple route. I can see the fun/benefits of the Android route but until I free up some of my time, I just can't be bothered to spend additional time on it personally.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I've had the Galaxy SIII for around two months now and I've been very satisfied. Albeit, I upgraded from a S1 so it was a significant boost in just about everything imaginable. I didn't find the bloatware to be a problem for the most part, and the screen size was perfect for what I was looking for (bigger than S1, smaller than the Note). I'm the kind of person who gets all boned up about customization and shit like that though, so take it as you will (It took me a few weeks to get everything up to my liking on the GSIII though). I'm not an Apple h8er or an Android fanboy but I don't think I'd ever make the switch because I sustain on things like replaceable batteries and interchangeable SD cards. Those are such large dealbreakers for me.

Would probably be smarter to just go to the iPhone 5 in your case. You're used to it, it's cheap, and it does for the most part "just work". I personally just find iOS to be a little boring, comparatively.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

My main issues with going to an iPhone 5 is, after playing with a Galaxy S3, I really miss the wider screen. The keyboard options just seemed far superior and I had a far easier time typing quickly. Note, I do have an iPad, so I can still basically use all my apps.

I also like Google's comments about why the Nexus 4 isn't going to be LTE, basically because providers are being bitchy (simplified, providers want more $, from what I understand), and Google wants anyone to be able to get their phone and use it on any carrier. But I believe the Nexus 4 won't have a removeable battery, which woulda been huge for having a spare ._.

LTE is amazing. I can't use a phone that doesn't have it now. It's like having wifi everywhere. (Of course it depends on your coverage I guess)

I also really like the iPhone 5, but I understand that goes to your preference. It's realllllllly fast. The major downside is of course, the maps, but Google maps app should come pretty soon. The Nexus 4 not having LTE would be a dealbreaker for me. If I were to get an android phone I'd probably still get the Galaxy Nexus.

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

wifey has a nexus and loves it, nice big screen, quick and responsive if you don't have the bloat. i don't give a shit about up and down speed because we are mainly on wifi with it.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

My girlfriend has had the Galaxy S2 and S3 and has had problems with both (Over heating, shutting off at random times, battery wont charge, etc. etc.). She had a late edition of the S2 and had problems and an early edition of the S3 and had problems. She sold them both and went to iPhone. I'm not saying this is typical of all Android phones but I prefer my iPhone over anything. I would suggest just upgrading and staying with what you're familiar with.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

http://www.google.com/nexus/4/

Quote Originally Posted by Mythe_Seraph View Post
    My girlfriend has had the Galaxy S2 and S3 and has had problems with both (Over heating, shutting off at random times, battery wont charge, etc. etc.). She had a late edition of the S2 and had problems and an early edition of the S3 and had problems. She sold them both and went to iPhone. I'm not saying this is typical of all Android phones but I prefer my iPhone over anything. I would suggest just upgrading and staying with what you're familiar with.
    I have to call that bullshit...it was an easy fix with firmwire upgrade and both my bro and sis S3 works fine.

Hay guyz, I was Shinebox but now I'm not!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Don Katsu
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Get an iPhone 5 I hear their maps software is spectacular.

If you're on Fido and don't want to get tied down to some contract you should go with the Nexus 4, at $299 USD without a contract it doesn't get any better than that. You wont have to root it as it comes stock Android.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Apple hardware is superior to any Android handset on the market currently. Reliable software/hardware. Prices are fair and where they should be. Huge App store that isn't filled with rehashed fart apps like the Play Store. etc.

Hay guyz, I was Shinebox but now I'm not!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Don Katsu
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Pikarya View Post
    Apple hardware is superior to any Android handset on the market currently.
    There are devices from 2011 with a higher resolution better screen and some specs are superior.

Memory? Galaxy SIII has more

Storage? Not expandable,neither is the Nexus but it's $299 Off contract, Galaxy SIII is expandable and comes in 16GB and 32GB

Apps? 700k in both stores both loaded with garbage apps

OS support? Apple is better at providing updates than all android phones except for Nexus devices, they are even here.

Build quality? Apple has a nice build, I can't think of an Android phone that is well built

Battery life? Apple is good but you can't replace it and there are devices with bettery battery life (Droid Razr etc)

You're going into an argument you can't win. You can't say one is more superior than the other, it's heavily opinion based. Mobile OS is like religion and politics to some people. There is reason why both operating systems are still selling millions despite iOS devices being sold on several carriers now. For every Android flaw there is a matching iOS one.

For the original poster you might want to find out what LTE coverage is like in your area, you might be better off with HSPA+ (42mbps) if you get coverage everywhere with it.

I did notice you posted
    1 gig data that I rarely go over.
    Last year I was using a 3G device until about November when I switched to an LTE device my data usage went up by a lot.

Data usage a month on 3g was about 200mb, LTE now it's 2-3GB.

i choose android for swype, cant use an iphone anymore due to lack of swype.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Swype is indeed pretty damn awesome. I've used both iPhone and Android for a long while and am on Android now. All I can say is that the only thing I miss about using an iPhone is the fact that they get some apps and games lightyears ahead of Android.

Quote Originally Posted by -Zer0- View Post
    Swype is indeed pretty damn awesome. I've used both iPhone and Android for a long while and am on Android now. All I can say is that the only thing I miss about using an iPhone is the fact that they get some apps and games lightyears ahead of Android.
    ya im still waiting for those damn SE games(dimensions and the card game one) to come to android lol

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

LTE is here and available on my carrier, but I seriously so no need for it at this time, my speeds are always above acceptable, everything loads quickly.

I will be doing some travelling tho, and having an unlocked phone is awesome there.

The apps I use most are on both devices and generally work as well on each (except Skype so far, Skype on android is kinda balls for me, both on an S3 and Nexus 7).

I do <3 me some widgets tho :3 I can think about it til Nov.13th!

[edit] http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/03/e...obile-pricing/ interesting read.

Banned.

BG Level

Re: Android and iOS: Requesting Opinions for new Phone

I've no issues with skype on a S2

Quote Originally Posted by shukudai View Post
    LTE is here and available on my carrier, but I seriously so no need for it at this time, my speeds are always above acceptable, everything loads quickly.
    Like all things in technology, you can't say you have no need for anything until you have used it Just remember all those people who thought they don't have a need for HDTVs.

LTE is amazing... I can't go back to a non-LTE phone anymore.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    Like all things in technology, you can't say you have no need for anything until you have used it Just remember all those people who thought they don't have a need for HDTVs.

LTE is amazing... I can't go back to a non-LTE phone anymore.
    Nah, i've used LTE, t was working fine on the S3 when I had it. The difference really was small. I get at least 7 mbps on my iphone 4s and HSPA 42 on the Nexus 4.. if i even get 10, should be WAY more than fine. If HD netflix and crunchy roll load w/o any lag and start playing in less than 2-3 seconds, .. well this is already a #firstworldproblems lol.

2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

SG3 is the best phone ever mang