+ Reply to Thread
    Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Skai Aetheris
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

List of Websites for the Arts

I'm an animation and visual effects student (minor in motion pictures and television with some interest in video games) and is currently trying to compile a list of websites that offer tips and tricks for various stuff. Be it Maya, 3Ds Max, Adobe line of products (Photoshop, After Effects, Illustrator, etc.), ZBrush, or any other programs, it'd be nice to have a collection of links that offers not just tips on how to do certain things, but some good to know information via news site and blogs. It's also nice when you're on a block and need to look for inspiration or references for a project.

As I continue to build on my list, if anyone else have some links of their own they would like to share, I'd be happy to add to it. Sharing is caring bros.

Blogs & News

Lessons/Tutorials

References/Resources/Inspirations

Communities
    • CGHub
    • ConceptArt
    • WetCanvas
    • GameArtisans (Community for video game artists.)
    • Polycount (Community with focus on news and resources for video game artists.)
    • CGSociety (Also known as CGTalk, a society of digital artists.)
    • deviantArt (Community where artists good and terrible share their work. Also got some nice tutorials.)
    • MyFolio (Similiar to deviantArt but less terrible, or so I assume.)
    • dribbble ("Show and tell for designers." A site to share designs as a prospect and for scouts to find potential hires.)
    • Vimeo (A video-sharing website similar to YouTube that is more digital art oriented.)
    • 4chan Artwork/Critique (lol 4chan, but I found a lot of good stuff there.)

Artistic Challenges
    • Quick Poses
    • Figure & Gesture Drawing (Cool practice site that lets you set some parameters, giving you random images for you to practice drawing.)
    • 11 Second Club (A monthly competition where artists are given an audio dialogue to create a character for and animate, and to receive constructive criticism from skilled artists to professionals.)

Retails
    • UtrechtArt (Art materials store. Now owned by Blick.)
    • Blick (Art materials store. Blick acquired UtrechtArt in April 2013.)
    • Ken Bromley Art Supplies (Art materials store based in UK.)
    • JetPens (For your mechanical pencils and pens needs.)
    • Monoprice (Great online retail for cable needs. Also sells highly rated drawing tablets for good prices.)
    • NewEgg (Online retail for computer parts and more.)
    • Tiger Direct (Online retail for computer parts and more.)
    • Amazon
    • eBay

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

FZD is a decent place for seeing how another artist tackle subjects. Not really much out there for web resources that interest me, since I tend to stick to the books as my references.

Ctrl-Paint isn't too bad either for digital painting/drawing vids.

Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

We have Digital Tutors here at work. I'm pretty sure it can get a little pricey, but it seems to have a lot of software tutorials.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

More Links!

i cant believe http://www.11secondclub.com wasnt mentioned, huge monthly animation contest that consists of free reviews from people within the industry to the winner, also heavily coated with threads from professionals within the industry

http://cgtalk.com is huge as well!!! everything from 2d to 3d to industry news and literally backstage passes into the biggest hollywood special effects and companies. you could browse amazing work for days with the quality that exists.

http://vimeo.com for anyone who is lost and doesnt know the internet...

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Skai Aetheris
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Vandalhart View Post
    We have Digital Tutors here at work. I'm pretty sure it can get a little pricey, but it seems to have a lot of software tutorials.
    I was also introduced to Digital Tutors by my school, but it's expensive and homeboy is broke and cheap. I'm glad my school offers free Adobe CS and Autodesk gives out free access to their programs to students.

By the way, much thanks for the links! Highly appreciate it.

Oh, conceptart.org is also good shit. Can't believe I forgot about it.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Skai Aetheris
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Finally got around to updating the list. Added references and retails. Still adding more.

Im a BG Attention Whore
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Anub'arak

pixel2life.com