1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 3 hours, 13 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 20 hours, 46 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 20 hours, 13 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 13 hours, 46 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    Yup. I'm being cautious. ;x
    Nothing wrong with that. You're being intelligent. We'll find out more when we can get our grubby mitts on it - again.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I cant people people are saying Limsa's music is too overpowering when we've all played XI. Sandoria was not subtle at all. Neither was Bastok really.

I think Limsas theme is one of the only good things about 1.0

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by millionsknives View Post
    I cant people people are saying Limsa's music is too overpowering when we've all played XI. Sandoria was not subtle at all. Neither was Bastok really.

XI is not the only MMO out there. Silly reasoning. XI shouldn't be the only platform of comparison for the game.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Limsa's theme was the worst thing about 1.0.

Also, opinions.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Minerva Kissaki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by xopher View Post
    Limsa's theme was the worst thing about 1.0.

Also, opinions.
    And everybodys is invalid

limsa for best theme, suck it

actually having some feels .... So many hours in the blacksmith area lol..

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I get that people's opinions differ, but I genuinely don't think you can make the argument that Limsa's theme is less overpowering than any of the XI town themes, even Sandy's. I'm not just talking in terms of volume (you can turn it down, duh), but in terms of impact. The Limsa theme has much greater breadth and impact than the XI themes, owing both to its composition and the types of sounds used. You simply can't get the same impact using the lower-quality midi sounds used in XI's soundtrack.

Honestly I think the BGM in 1.0 kinda sucked overall, at least from what I remember. Limsa's theme was too intrusive. They wasted one of the (in my opinion) best tracks on Thanalan and it didn't even fit with the zone's aesthetic at all; when I first heard the track prior to beta it struck me as the new First Ode. Ul'dah's theme sounded like fucking POL viewer menu music. The Black Shroud's theme, at least when I played it, was pretty much completely ambient. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it didn't really fit in with the rest of the BGM. La Noscea's music was ok, but it still didn't quite work for me. Gridania's music was pretty good, although I absolutely hated it in the end because it just reminded me of the damn patcher music.

/opinions

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by shidobu View Post

actually having some feels .... So many hours in the blacksmith area lol..

Yeah I'm starting to think it's a form of Stockholm Syndrome rather than actual enjoyment.

Their marketing department needs a kick in the face as big as FFXIV's development team got. This video is still too similar in form to the original game launch.

I went to Distant Worlds last week, and on each seat was a flyer about ARR. All it had was the logo taking up the top half of the page, and then a QR code, with mention that it'll take you to an exclusive website where you can sign up for the Alpha - which took up the second half of the page. No where did it mention any of the major changes, that this was a relaunch of an entire new game, no pictures of the new game, or info what'll be happening etc. Everyone there glanced at the flyer and just threw it away. For all they knew it was just an expansion pack to a game they know got terrible reviews.

It was crazy SE just wasted an opportunity to market the relaunch to nearly 6,000 FF fans in one go. It actually made me angry because it was such a half assed attempt compared to just doing nothing at all haha!
    There was absolutely NO mention of it at all - apart from a "oh here's a sneak preview of the chocobo tune from the new FF14 game" line at the Edinburgh concert at all... surprised me a LOT - I was expecting a little bit of hype about it, possibly Answers since Susan Calloway was there... but still the same black hole of its existence that there was in London the previous year.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Alpha First Look: Video 2 - New Gridania - 11/08/12

This game needs a god damn commercial! Come closer to release date that is.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by xopher View Post
    Yeah I'm starting to think it's a form of Stockholm Syndrome rather than actual enjoyment.
    I've been saying this for awhile now.

If you want "good" overpowering, Heaven's Tower from XI and Griffins Never Die from [S]Sandy, but, as others have said quite succinctly, XI isn't the only MMO on the block, so its silly to use it as the only measuring board against 1.0.

I'm in the same camp as the others who say that 1.0 had maybe 2-3 good songs. I know that its only a single, stand-alone title and if you look at other stand-alone MMOs without Xpacs, there aren't a ton with truly groundbreaking music (IMO WoW's didn't REALLY get good until TBC and WotLK, although Naxx's construct wing still goes down as one of the best songs ever).

Not a bad debate, though.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I don't know about the Stockholm thing. I never liked Jeuno's music, but I still love Whitegate. I spent some of the most tedious moments in my XI career camping Lizzy but Gustaberg's music is awesome; I thought Limbus was one of the best activities in the game but I thought CoP had the most annoying Tough Battle music.

I thought 1.0's music was... comparable... to vanilla XI. A couple of diamonds, but mostly not that memorable (good or bad).

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Most of the "good" music in XI (or more accurately, nearly any good theme in any MMO) was great until you heard it for the 1000th time. I remember hating Whitegate theme for a long time, but it's not as grating anymore since I don't hear it every week. I always enjoyed Gustaberg and Ronfaure out of nostalgia + not being in the zones too often.

For XIV 1.0... didn't feel much except for Coerthas field theme.

Castrum Novum
    Garuda
    Darnus (both, the V1 song takes some time to build up but it's nice once it gets going)

Majority of the battle themes have been extremely forgettable.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

I thought Primal Judgement was one of the coolest FF boss themes until the 50th+ Ifrit Extreme wipe.

I actually liked a lot of the themes from 1.0, I just thought most of them were used terribly: imo a lot of songs didn't really fit the areas/events/etc where they played.

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Castrum Novum
    Garuda
    Darnus (both, the V1 song takes some time to build up but it's nice once it gets going)

Majority of the battle themes have been extremely forgettable.
    Agree with these, will also had Zaharak theme and Ixali stronghold (not while in battle, just in the area) and Ifrit fight as well. Coerthas field theme and thanalan were nice, and some of the cut scene music is also good. But for the most part, the music in 1.0 isn't great. XI was the same way, most of the music wasn't great or was too strong to listen to continuously, but there were a lot of gems that were memorable and amazing no matter how many times you listen. Considering XIV hasn't been out nearly as long I suspect the chances of great music coming out for it rising as the game goes on.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I've always wanted to replace any and all XI/XIV boss fight themes with XII's Esper Battle.

I find the Ifrit theme to be ridiculously bland, you can barely tell when it starts and ends.

If there was ever a song I'd be desensitized to it would be that one though.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Can't forget the King Moggle Mog XII fight music, either.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Yeah, gotta' admit... the music that started being added to the game since Yoshi has had a chance to have his hand in it has been pretty damn solid (Black Shroud, Grand Companies, Prima/Boss battles, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
    Can't forget the King Moggle Mog XII fight music, either.
    No matter how badly you want to, unfortunately.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast