1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 8 hours, 13 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 15 hours, 46 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 1 hours, 13 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 8 hours, 46 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 107 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: FFXIV story/lore thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Here's a list of CS's from the Main Scenario from Gridania's perspective. Since they're from the Unending Journey it doesn't include all the dialogue from NPC's encountered during the quests.

1.0 Original Storyline Cutscenes

1. Sundered Skies
    2. Souls Gone Wild
    3. Whispers in the Wood
    4. Beckon of the Elementals
    5. Fade to White
    6. Together We Stand
    7. Toll of the Warden
    8. Forever Taken
    9. Of Men They Sing
    10. Lord Errant
    11. Futures Perfect

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by Aerin View Post
    I can't imagine it's as simple as him wanting to see the world wiped from existence like Nael.
    Eorzea is just a small region, and that's all the Emperor would want gone if the orders came from him, mostly because it's infested with primals, which for all we know might be the only thing that's been able to stop the Empire in the past. It doesn't feel that far fetched.

Added cutscenes to the OP.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sunnlona Iyrnlohwyn
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

If all the Empire is interested in is the Aether, then he could sign off on a plan to basically wipe everyone out along with the Primals leaving them with easy access to the Aether. It does seem like Nael took it to another level with the destroy everything, create the void rantings though.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Ya I think I got confused with the Two Vans CS. I thought Nael (and the Emperor) meant to destroy the entire world and not just Eorzea, Gaius was just warning him that Dalamud could wipe out their homeland as well as Eorzea.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

its Emperor Solus btw. Solus zos Galvus.

as for Eorzea being small.. i don't think so.. it comprises one of the 3 great continents of Hydaelyn, so its not small.
    to distill the lore on geography for everyone.

Hydaelyn is the world in which FFXIV in set.

There are 3 continents known as the Three Great Continents.

I. Aldenard (a major part of Eorzea)

Eorzea is a region that comprises of the great continent Aldenard and its surrounding islands, including Vylbrand.
    It comprises of 6 known city states.

1. Limsa-Lominsa (on Vylbrand, island to the west)
    2. Gridania (central-east of Aldenard)
    3. Ul'dah (south)
    4. Ala Mhigo (eastern tip)
    5. Ishgard (western highlands)
    6. Sharlayan (northwest)

Based on the Eorzea map, these are the regions known in Eorzea (before the calamity)

on Vylbrand:
    - O'ghomoro (northern part)
    - La Noscea (around Limsa)

on Aldenard:
    - Dravania (around Sharlayan)
    - Coerthas (around Ishgard)
    - Xelphatol (north of Gridania)
    - The Black Shroud (around Gridania)
    - Gyr Abania (around Ala Mhigo)
    - Mor Dhona (north of Ul'dah)
    - Thanalan (around Ul'dah)
    - Paglth'an (east of Ul'dah)

(back to continents)

II Islabard (to the north)

Islabard is connected by land to Aldenard and is northeast of Ala Mhigo.
    Garlemald is currently the only known city there.
    - it is assumed to be the heart of the Garlean Empire since thats the nation it sprung from.

III. Othard (eastern continent) used to have soverign states, but they were conquered by Garlean Empire.

The majority of the other 2 continents are Garlean territory.

The redundant naming of regions/big regions/islands/continents is very annoying.

It's like trying to explain what constitutes the UK.

edit: Eorzea is probably the least useful term overall, it's not a continent, or an island, it's just an arbitrary label for the regions the game has taken us so far (it's like how we call Europe a continent, stupid)

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I have to agree the naming of regions gets confusing pretty fast for even those who try to keep track of it all. Thanks for the run-down Spira.

Quote Originally Posted by solracht View Post
    Some unanswered questions/plot holes
    (Gathered these from ongoing threads. Feel free to just respond to these if you don't want to go find the actual discussion)

• What exactly happens in the Battle for Silvertear Falls from the 1.0 intro?
    From finalfantasy.wikia.com

Aether

Aether refers to the energy found throughout the world of Hydaelyn in Final Fantasy XIV. It is said to exist all things, and any disruption in the aetherial flow is either the cause or indicator of catastrophic events, as evidenced by the Umbral Eras.

Aether is found in either gas or solid form - as Mist or crystal respectively. It is typically cool in hue, from the icy teal crystals, to deep blue or violet gates and nodes, to vibrant fuchsia miasma.
    Silvertear Falls

Silvertear falls is a key location within Mor Dhona currently occupied by the XIVth Garlean Legion. It is said that almost all the aether present in Eorzea flows through the falls, and it's flux is currently disrupted due to several reasons, such as the presence of the Primals on Eorzea.

Although Silvertear Falls is mentioned often by several NPCs, it was not one of the landmarks relabeled in post-launch updates. Silvertear Lake, however, did receive a new label.
    Silvertear Lake

The central body of water is Silvertear Lake, and protruding vertically from the center island is the wreck of a massive airship. In the game's Opening Movie, the airship was brought down by the dragon Midgardsormr, and the crash caused an aetherial eruption that apparently destroyed both. Together they form the landmark "Keeper of the Lake" according to the Eorzean label on the map.

According to a researcher, below the lake lies an immense underground crystal tower, so massive that it affects the aether itself and only worsens it's already chaotic state over Mor Dhona.
    So I'd surmise that the crash seen in the opening movie caused an eruption in the already unstable Aether in the area which unleashed/awakened the Primals.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

im guessing the associated names for Eorzea's islands are arbitrarily done.

realistically speaking nobody playing in game will need to know what Aldenard is other than for lore/flavor and for precise description when necessary.
    You could make a case for Vylbrand since its more location specific.

its just like how nobody in XI needs to know the middle lands is actually Quon and Mindartia. its just Vana'diel or the middle lands.. and region names suffice for being more specific because you have no practical reason to refer to each individual continent.

I'd think Eorzea is useful because it includes Limsa, which would probably fall out side of the parameters of Aldenard

XI was at least a little more comprehensive, if only because the names on the maps WERE IN FKING ENGLISH.

Vanadiel was the world, 2 aptly named continents (as far as definitions of continent go) and regions throughout, "middle lands" is just a general term and a lot more comprehensive than Eorzea.

In XIV where does Eorzea end? Why are Aldenard and Islabard separate continents when they're the same landmass?

I'll admit it probably all comes off as so complicated and arbitrary because there's all these highly specified names for places but we can't go to any of them yet. In XI we kind of got that information trickled out over the years but in XIV the whole continent's mapped out and named but we can only go to like half of it.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

well, continents dont need to be of distinct land masses..
    in fact, "continent" is a pretty abstract human construct that doesn't even need to have any geographical basis. not even in the real world.

and i guess they wanted it to be realistic by copying real world messy naming convention

I know, I was just remarking that the distinction of the 2 continents in XI was more consistent than most (real or fictional).

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sunnlona Iyrnlohwyn
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Was anything ever done storywise with Ishgard or did it remain inaccessible?

Quote Originally Posted by Sign View Post
    Was anything ever done storywise with Ishgard or did it remain inaccessible?
    it remained closed, Yoshi said in an interview we wont see it probably till year in ARR. I suspect it will come with a cathedral where queers can get married

Road Tinnies
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Cichy View Post
    it remained closed, Yoshi said in an interview we wont see it probably till year in ARR. I suspect it will come with a cathedral where queers can get married
    /thread

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Not really tied to what we were discussing, but there's a few tidbits of new official lore~

- Nael van Darnus is related by blood to the ancient Allegans. (Maybe this was the key to Bahamut being able to communicate with and control him specifically.)

- Some sort of important Ishgardian theologist was captured by Garlemald. (Perhaps the reason they are versed as they are regarding the Primals/Twelve/etc.)

- Dragons are considered a beastmen tribe. Nidhogg is their current leader and very likely stepped in to replace Midgardsormr after his demise at Silvertear Falls. (They are not Primals.)

- Something about Garuda not wanting more Primals to be called? (bad translation)

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Was about the post the dragon stuff since I think Rocl talked about them in a different thread, I just couldn't find his post, lol.

As for the Garuda comment, it would make sense if the primals didn't want other primals to be called, since they all drain aether. There were also hints (might've been explicitly said, can't remember) in the 1.0 storyline about the beastmen races becoming aggressive to each other because of the influence from their respective primals.

EDIT: I remembered, the sylphs say it explicitly. The primals change the beastmen for the worse and that's why the sylphs don't want to summon their own primal when the Garleans attack.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I still want to know what the Sylph's Primal is. I was going to say so much for it being Carbuncle, but it would be very possible for the Sylphs to be involved in the resurgence of the Arcane arts and allow you to summon a small aspect of their primal instead of the whole shebang that we all know is generally bad news.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Guessing on Ramuh because of the sigil. The primals seem like pretty big jerks in this game, and if the Sylphs are afraid of their primal then I don't see it being the fluffy and little Carbuncle (although that'd be pretty funny I guess).

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I've never noticed that symbol before even though that used to be my favorite "landmark" area of the game for farting around and killing Sylphs, too bad it was almost entirely unused.

Perhaps their Carbuncle is a death-casting fucking badass like this:
    http://home.student.uu.se/peja4261/f...uncle_doom.png

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

hmm id think hes a minor primal if arcanists get to use him.