1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 7 hours, 7 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 16 hours, 52 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 0 hours, 7 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 9 hours, 52 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 107 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: FFXIV story/lore thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by solracht View Post
    Guessing on Ramuh because of the sigil. The primals seem like pretty big jerks in this game, and if the Sylphs are afraid of their primal then I don't see it being the fluffy and little Carbuncle (although that'd be pretty funny I guess).
    Are there other houses with other sigils though? Every Sylph has a different element in their chest, and that could just be the house of one of the lightning ones. I don't remember a whole lot of what I saw over there.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Are there other houses with other sigils though? Every Sylph has a different element in their chest, and that could just be the house of one of the lightning ones. I don't remember a whole lot of what I saw over there.
    iirc there's a whole bunch over by Moonspore Grove, bleh i have a pic of the grove but it's focused more on the mushroom so you can't see the symbol to the right of it baaaaughuhuhuhughh it exists i swear just like swampsquatches and I also thought there were 2 or 3 Sylph 'camps' with that symbol

I think the chest colours were more to tie into their relationship with the Elementals and status as Conjurers etc etc I imagine if 1.0 stayed the course they'd be CNJ only (well, I mean, they were-- and the most interesting fact was their weakness seemed entirely dependent on their element so they had no innate resistances? but that was like pre 1.27-8?)

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I did a lot of Sylph killing back in the day. If I recall correctly, the colored gem in their chest only affected their CNJ offensive spell set (red ones would cast Fire/Burn, yellow ones would cast Stone/Rasp, etc.). Their non-spell actions were just an AoE sleep and a self-cure... both of which looked very windy/leafy.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

It'd be nice if we could start assembling this into a wikia or something. Get a grip on it early, rather than having the info eventually lost in this thread.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

A lot of lore is formalized into the general FF wiki. I like to work there because there's general templates to follow and you can link to lore across the series. Also plenty of gnomes and there's already substantial XIV content there, including extensive pics on 1.0 zones for posterity

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Taken from the official website:

Using the selfsame symbols to unlock the latent power contained within gemstones, arcanists are also able to summon forth the familiar known as Carbuncle to carry out their bidding.
    The old description had another name which confused me at first, this is likely their current stance on the creature. Seems like familiars are entirely different beings for now. It's possible they're simply lesser Primals but I doubt the Sylphs are linked with any of them.
    I'd say Ramuh is the only option unless a new tribe shows up in ARR.
    Ifrit, Garuda and Titan are all pretty clear, Leviathan goes to the Sahagin, Shiva to XIV's version of the Gigas and Dravanians have Bahamut. I guess there's always the possibility of a new Primal altogether or Odin but I won't be surprised if we never actually see it unless another tribe gets it.
    However I do wonder why the Sylphs are actually keeping the Primal with them if they don't even worship him/her and have no intention to do so... probably to keep it away from others and maybe in ARR it's stolen? I don't see them ever summoning it unless they're forced after Bahamut's attack and then become corrupted in the following 5 years.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    However I do wonder why the Sylphs are actually keeping the Primal with them if they don't even worship him/her and have no intention to do so... probably to keep it away from others and maybe in ARR it's stolen? I don't see them ever summoning it unless they're forced after Bahamut's attack and then become corrupted in the following 5 years.
    Maybe they end up having to summon him due to extreme necessity? Would be interesting (or at the very least, unique when compared to the other cases) if there was a "good" race that needed our help to be freed from their own primal.

Either way, we know Ramuh is going to show up eventually.

The old description had another name which confused me at first, this is likely their current stance on the creature. Seems like familiars are entirely different beings for now. It's possible they're simply lesser Primals but I doubt the Sylphs are linked with any of them.
    I actually remember "familiar" from the old description. I'm almost sure it started an argument over whether Arcanist would summon BST pets in these forums.

Anyway, Familiars in other games/media are magical beings summoned by mages. Maybe Carbuncle won't be as important in this game and it'll simply be a small type of creature created/controlled by the Limsa guild. We know we can summon different types of carbuncles, so that could be an argument against him being a single important entity (ie a Primal).

EDIT: I just saw I uploaded the old picture here:

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yeah the old description did mention familiars but it was extremely vague at the same time because Carnuncle was called an ephemeral being instead. That+ the fact that the only Arcanist in 1.0 actually summoned normal beasts called familiars was the confusing part. When they loaded Arcanist on the Official website the description was different.
    I'm just guessing they're going for more references here: Arcanist apparently uses some sort of gems to summon their pets (only Carnuncle at first but more are confirmed to come) and that's exactly what Eiko and Garnet use in FFIX to learn new summon spells (with some exceptions). From the same game Carbuncle's special buff changed depending on which gem Eiko had equipped (Usually Reflect but he could also cast Protect, Vanish and other things).
    It'll be interesting if they actually add some lore around him and I'm guessing that's where the class quests will go.

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Does anyone know if SE ever mentioned anything about the importance of the vigils in XIV? I.e. Dusk and Dawn Vigils. I know that during the quest 'Livin on a Prayer' you have to make a trip to a stone northwest of Camp Crooked Fork in Coerthas. This spot brings you near Dawn Vigil.

Spoiler: show

However, I never remember encountering much about their purpose in the story/lore. Even though they were practically copy & paste of the same design they were pretty interesting. Because of how cool they looked I hope that they incorporate them into 2.0s story.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Updated post from yesterday:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/58056-Post-Dalamud-Messages-from-Yoshi-P!?p=894128#post894128
    In Version 1.0, we dropped many tidbits of information that hinted at Dalamud's true nature:

- Dalamud was created by the Allagan Empire and cast into the heavens several millennia ago.
    - Eorzea is home to many deities. The beast tribes worship the primals, and the five races (Hyur, Elezen, Miqo'te, Lalafell, Roegadyn) revere the Twelve.
    - The van Darnus family is of the blood of ancient Allag, and are the keepers of its secrets.
    - An Ishgardian theologian who studied the dragons and their gods was kidnapped by the Empire and taken to the Aurum Vale.
    - In the battle with Garuda, the primal says: "This is the price of your folly. The price of using the crystals' power─MY POWER!─to waken the other from slumber.
    - The power of the crystals was absorbed by Dalamud.

I don't want to spoil the ARR story, but I can say this:

The dragons of Dravania are classified as a beast tribe. Nidhogg is not a primal, but a king among the dragons. Likewise, Midgardsormr--known as the Keeper of the Lake--while not a primal, is a revered existence among dragonkind. Just as men have worshipped kings throughout history, so too have the dragons.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Honestly I would have preferred Cid looking at me sleep for five years than Louisoix teleporting me ):

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I don't think the Dusk/Dawn Vigil towers were ever brought up in dialog/lore. I am assuming they are simply watch towers named for which horizon they are on (Dawn Vigil to the east where the sun rises, Dusk Vigil to the west where the sun sets).

Very few areas or landmarks are ever really mentioned/involved in the game so far. I'm bored at work so here's a little description of the locales I'm familiar with (editing as I go):

Silvertear Falls: Where the Battle of Silvertear Skies was fought. A focal point of Eorzea's Aetheric energies, though disrupted by the presence of Primals. Since the battle, the entire region has remained desolate, and some force remains, draining the Aether out of the ground itself.
    Carteneau Flats: Dalamud's ground-zero.
    The Keeper of the Lake: Midgardsormr's husk coiled around a downed Garlean juggernaught from the Battle of Silvertear Skies.
    Jagged Crest Cave: A small reconnisaince base of the Eorzean Alliance for observing Castrum Novum.
    Castrum Novum: A Garlean fortress assembled by Nael's VIIth Legion to defend their Lunar Transmitter.

Nophica's Wells: Used to be an oasis before it dried up somewhat recently.
    Thal's Respite: A cave containing a large sculpture of one of the twin deities, Thal.
    Nald's Reflection: A cave containing a large sculpture of one of the twin deities, Nald.
    Little Ala Mhigo: A large refugee camp for those who managed to escaped the Garlean attack on Ala Mhigo and did not stay in the dangerous Black Shroud.
    Nanawa Mines: A local and almost completely depleted mythril/silver mine owned by Amajina & Sons Mineral Concern recently opened to the public.
    Copperbell Mine: A local mine overrun with Antlions.
    Sagolii Desert: A massive desert near Ul'dah that historians believe to be the site of the ancient city Sil'dih that overshadowed even Ul'dah.
    Sil'dih: A nearly forgotten ancient city that once battled with Ul'dah over precious water resources. Ul'dah managed to hold off their advances until their leaders attempted to raise their own dead, causing a massive spread of zombification sealing their own fate. After Sil'dih was formally defeated, straggling zombies were slain and their gates sealed from the outside. All that remains of the city now are small shards of pottery.
    Mythril Pit T-8: An inn that was abandoned since the Amalj'aa became hostile and is now the site of a local mythril prospecting operation. This was also the location that Ifrit's summoning was first witnessed by Eorzea.
    The Coffer & Coffin: A well known inn named after a folk song that tells the tale of a man who dragged a large wooden crate with him towards Ul'dah, either to hold all his gambling winnings or his own corpse.
    Lassae Village: A small village that was since completely destroyed after the residents chose to side with the Amalj'aa after hostilities broke out.
    Ceruleum Field: A series of Ceruleum factories, built for refining Aetheric energy into the Ceruleum that powers the Garlean Empire's "Magitek" technology.

The Furline: A major trade route for fur trappers to bring furs to Ishgard from Gridania.
    Amberscale Rock: A suspicious dragon-shaped stone where an Ishgardian Dragoon claims to have been attacked by a dragon.
    Lifemend Stump: A place where local Gridanians leave broken items they hold dear on a large tree stump, humbly requesting the local Moogles to use their magic to repair them. A prime location for petty thievery.
    The Lumberline: A major trade route for loggers bring lumber to Ul'dah from Gridania.
    Moonspore Grove: The breeding ground of the local Sylph beastmen tribe.
    Goldleaf Dais: A small shrine built by the local Sylph. Stairs built by a race that can levitate without effort implies it is an important place of friendly intercultural exchange.
    The Tam Tara Deepcroft: A ancient Gelmorran royal tomb.
    The Mun Tuy Cellars: An overrun wine cellar that is almost entirely in disuse.
    The Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak: An old and now defunct prison where Garleans were reported investigating the local Aetheric energies.
    Lasthold: Site of an ancient Gelmorran ruin.
    Buscarron's Fold: A watch house used for keeping security over the Lumberline, owned for generations by the Buscarron family.
    The Hawthorne Hut: The humble residence of the legendary adventurer Hawthorne, now taken care of by his descendant Rolfe and his family.
    The Honey Yard: A local apicultural field.
    Gelmorra: An ancient kingdom that once thrived throughout the Black Shroud. A vast majority of their now abandoned structures lie underground, presumably to avoid the Ixali attacks and the local Elementals. Possible the ancestors of the indigenous Duskwight Elezen.

Bearded Rock: According to legend, a famous bearded pirate was chained to the rock until he withered away leaving only his beard.
    Shposhae: The alleged location of hidden treasures belonging to the legendary pirate Rycharde Mistbeard. Also a pilgrimage site for the followers of Llymlaen.
    Mistbeard Cove: The original hideout of legendary pirate Rycharde Mistbeard.
    Cassiopeia Hollow: A pilgrimage site for the followers of Llymlaen.
    Halfstone: A small farm that yields very little crops due to the rocky soil.
    Red Rooster Stead: An experimental farm that often relies on local pirates to protect them from frequent Kobold raids.
    Brookhaven: A small village outside of Limsa Lominsa that was completely destroyed by Sahagins only a few years prior.

The Dreaming Dragon: An island that local legends say is or contains a sleeping dragon.
    Dzemael Darkhold: Caves that Ishgardians planned to use as a bastion. A statue inside came to life and killed almost everyone just before the Garleans seized control.
    Ishgard: Coerthan fortress/city completely closed off by their heirarch, the Holy See, a few years ago, only permitting passage to military, severing many families. Will reopen when they are given a message/sign from Halone.
    Aurum Vale: A network of caves rich with mythril and sulfur which, when mixed, create the highly corrosive Goldbile which release a toxic gas, causing a dangerous condition called Gold Lung. A known Ishgardian theologist was abducted by the Garleans after entering the caves.
    Gwyr-Aen: A small location that consists of a circle of mysteriously stacked stones more recently used in sacrificial rituals by the Lambs of Dalamud.
    Twinpools: Two small lakes, Ashpool and Banepool, that are toxic to humanoids either poisoned by dragons directly or inadvertently as a side effect from drinking the water.
    The Crucible: A small cave of unknown importance though held in high regard by the Ishgardians due to some tie with their deity Halone.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Isn't Good King Moggle Mog XII considered the primal of the Moogles?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Aerin View Post
    Isn't Good King Moggle Mog XII considered the primal of the Moogles?
    Yes but he's not part of the main storyline, more like a side thing. He replaced Titan and Leviathan after the earthquake>tsunami in Japan.
    He was also omitted from the Primal poster so he's likely gonna stay that way.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

RE: mioko (I don't wanna quote everything cuz I'm lazy ): )

Can you show me where Sil'dih is supposed to be Allagan? As far as I knew they were contemporaneous with Ul'dah, had a war with Ul'dah and lost. (I think again, Monk quest? but I haven't done); in the Miner CS all I recall is that it's an old civilization that rivaled Ul'dah before getting fucked up. Now, it could be Allagan, but that'd mean Ul'dah itself was Allagan too?

It's also a fun fact, but I believe Mythril Pit T-8 is where the first summoning of Ifrit took place, or at least the first sighting by the Five Races. (some newspaper article iirc)

Again, not being a dick, just curious, but how do we know for certain that the ceruleum fields are Garlean? There might've been some dialogue I missed there. I always assumed Camp Bluefog got its name from, well, the Bluefog of the generators. I don't think much of Eorzea uses ceruleum mind you, but Ul'dah did have a trading relationship with the Empire up until very recently (The Syndicate kept up with the image of being strictly merchants and neutral, separate from the Immortal Flames and Sultanate, but were doublecrossing the Garleans and eventually got found out around the founding of the Eorzean Alliance) what I'm saying is, the ceruleum fields could be a major export for Ul'dah---I don't think they are owned by the Garlemald proper.

I'm also not sure Ishgard is just a military post--I've always been led to believe there are civilians too. I'm sure there's some medieval parallel that's obvious but I can't recall.

My own fun-facts:

Ashpool and Banepool (Twinpools node) is poisonous to humans because dragons either a) drink from it or b) poison it (I can never remember which); also in Coerthas there was a dead-end tunnel (a la what became Darkhold and Veil) referred to as the Crucible which thankfully had nothing to do with Arthur Miller but dealt with the training of Ishgardian Knights/Dragoons etc. (All Ishgardian Knights pre-Yoshi-P are Dragoons anyway)

RE: Good King Moggle Mog XII
    http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...ews/num04.html

We know the Five Races can summon the Twelve, and the beast tribes Primals, both of which with aether. Ifrit hints at the fact we could summon a Primal as well (and I'm p. sure we're going to in 2.0) but I think there is a difference between these Aetheric Beings, and I'm not certain you can call Good King Moggle Mog XII a Primal solely because Louisoix (or was it the Moogle? if so it was even less reliable info) said that the ritual to summon him was not unlike summoning a Primal. Moogles are already different from the race of man and beast---they have been around a long time, if that fairy tale is to be believed (and I mean, they're turning out to be true more often than not now). Also interesting note that the Moogles have their own unique mythology, which leads me to believe all of the races/peoples believe in the Gods, just bickering about who's Gods is better. The exception being the Garleans of course.

This entire game is one big Holy War and the Atheists are the biggest bad guys. (Well, that's extreme, we don't know Garlean lore too much, only that they consider the Twelve and Primals/Eikons alike to be false gods, so it's possible that they either believe them to be something else or that they have their own gods). Also, we see Garuda and Ifrit turn to aether (well, sparkly bits), but Good King Moggle Mog XII explodes into Moogles (I always assumed they were the moogles he absorbed powers from but idfk, I never tried to kill him first) ofc that doesn't prove a lot. (Also to note, we only see one summoning of a Primal in Lord Errant [which the runes and circles now remind me of the redalamudding], and it looks very different to me than Moggle Mog XII)

In fact, it could be what was meant is that aether was used to summon Moggle Mog, much like a Primal, but also as we now know, much aether is used in summoning the Twelve as well. I don't think Eikons and the Twelve are exactly the same thing, but that they are similar beings. Sort of like... terrestrial and celestial avatars in XI I guess? Both had god-like power (albeit from different sources) but were still "Avatars," of course "Primals" could be XIV's word, but I feel like that has a strong connotation with them being the Gods of the Beast Tribe and less to do with an actual name.

All in all, I don't think he's a primal per se, but maybe a god.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Actually, pretty much anything I post I am informally submitting for Roclreviews. I expected to make many an edit.

For example, I thought I knew Sil'dih was Allegan (Weaver quest was the only one I specifically recall talking about Sil'dih), but as I re-look it up, I'm not finding anything officially specifying the Empire/nation it might have belonged to. I think I was just seeing "highly advanced" + "ancient" + "completely gone" = Allegan!

Ceruleum Fields, I could have sworn I read that the Garleans built them. Again, not finding specifics here and working off foggy memories. Personally, I think they have blatantly Garlean architecture (the wheel-like protrusion similar to the small airships').

As for Ishgard, I should reword. I just meant that the city completely closed off passage of anyone non-military, thus severing many people from their families and whatnot (as can be heard from the local town NPCs).

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

o and considering their intelligence I wouldn't be surprised if Elementals could summon an Aether Being too, and I can't figure out if Bahamut/Odin are just really powerful primals or if "Elder Primal" is its own designation

tbh now I'm waiting for servers to come back up just so I can watch & nitpick CS...

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Ceruleum Fields, I could have sworn I read that the Garleans built them. Again, not finding specifics here and working off foggy memories. Personally, I think they have blatantly Garlean architecture (the wheel-like protrusion similar to the small airships').
    They're similar as hell to Imperial Juggernauts yeah, but I believe all magitek devices use wheel like protrusions with blue flames. (Except the dungeon forcefields lol) I'm trying to remember more magitekky things, but all I can come up with is Juggernauts+Vanguards, both of which have those spinny blue fire wheels.

I meant to edit this into my last post, fuck.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The devs have referred to King Moggle Mog as a Primal fight in multiple occasions.
    Primals and gods are pretty much the same thing anyway. Even the Twelve are similar because they work exactly like the Primals (draining aether to manifest their powers). The only differences between the Primals and the Twelve are:
    -Primals>beastmen; Twelve>5 races.
    -Primals>evil tyrants; Twelve> not so much.
    Different sides of the same coin pretty much: one group is evil and the other is (apparently) good.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The devs have referred to King Moggle Mog as a Primal fight in multiple occasions.
    Primals and gods are pretty much the same thing anyway. Even the Twelve are similar because they work exactly like the Primals (draining aether to manifest their powers). The only differences between the Primals and the Twelve are:
    -Primals>beastmen; Twelve>5 races.
    -Primals>evil tyrants; Twelve> not so much.
    Different sides of the same coin pretty much: one group is evil and the other is (apparently) good.
    They referred to Darnus as a primal too though, didn't they? And he clearly wasn't.