1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 22 hours, 14 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 1 hours, 45 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 15 hours, 14 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 18 hours, 45 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 107 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 106 ... LastLast

Thread: FFXIV story/lore thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Oh hey, it actually does look exactly like a DRG helm. I couldn't put my finger on why the statue looked familiar.

Here's another shot of the statue:
    http://fextralife.com/wp-content/upl...rd-Ishgard.jpg

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

2.5 spoilers
    Spoiler: show
    Post scenario text says something about a "comrade lost" and I expected someone to die before Heavensward, given the preview of 2.5 Pt2 we see in the trailer for it to be anybody important it'd have to be: F'hlaminn, Urianger, Moenbryda or Alphinaud. Moenbryda or F'hlaminn is my bet, probably Moenbryda.

This is, of course, assuming the post scenario text is for this patch 2.50, which I see no reason for it not to be.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    2.5 spoilers
    Post scenario text says something about a "comrade lost" and I expected someone to die before Heavensward, given the preview of 2.5 Pt2 we see in the trailer for it to be anybody important it'd have to be: F'hlaminn, Urianger, Moenbryda or Alphinaud. Moenbryda or F'hlaminn is my bet, probably Moenbryda.

This is, of course, assuming the post scenario text is for this patch 2.50, which I see no reason for it not to be.
    Well shit. I shouldn't of read what the quest names were.

Can someone recap 2.5 story for those who can't play?

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

So it seems like we've been introduced to the collector's edition mount...

We are now all mothers of dragons. I think it's a safe bet that the Midgardsormr minion will grow into the CE mount in Heavensward. Hype!
    Also, inb4 the 7 children of Midgardsormr are the new FFXI kings. #jokingnotjoking

From Slycer's translation of the Famitsu interview:
    Is the dragon that appeared in the last scene of the trailer Nidhogg?
    Y: No, it's something else. Although if you want Nidhogg, hopefully you can wait a bit longer until Heavensward (laughs).

The Syrup To Waffles's Waffle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

If I don't have the echo any more am I still the protagonist? Did Midgardsormr single-handedly destroy my narrative? I was supposed to be a hero, god dammit.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by Cairthenn View Post

If I don't have the echo any more am I still the protagonist? Did Midgardsormr single-handedly destroy my narrative? I was supposed to be a hero, god dammit.
    I doubt this is the case, we still understood the Ascian in Northern Thanalan when Moenbryda couldn't after our run in with the Keeper. This is more or less proof we retained the Echo (or the Gift). However, what we lack now is the Blessing of Light, which is why Nabriales was way harder to kill than Lahabrea. The Gift/Echo and the Blessing of Light are somehow separate but equally Ascian confounding things. Hydaelyn/the Mothercrystal are shown to be relatively ineffective as of late, though Midgardsormr's pact with Hydaelyn is particularly interesting.

Midgardsormr growng up to be our mount would be nice, but I'd also hate the fact we'd lose the minion, lol. I wonder how old Midgardsormr is; older than Bahamut? I also wanted our mount to be Hiryu

Get our hopes up with prospect Titsfilia's death then turn around and kill one of the only likable characters with a decent VA.

wtg

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aumaan Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Anyone else get the impression that this is the end of the kill-Ascians plotline for a while? A nice battlefield/murder/sacrifice/capstone to what's been going on, and the research toward killing them put on the back burner, or hung on the wall next to Tupsimati. Now they can switch whole hog to setting up the Ishgard situation (which is surely Ascian-driven too, but they probably won't be the direct adversaries for a bit), with a bit of a detour for whatever's going to happen in Ul'dah.

Also, I think the CE mount is going to be the gryphon thing, isn't it? With the mount-that-might-be-related-to-"Not the big one. The little one." as something that everyone gets? I'll toss my vote in for Hiryu too, if anyone's counting.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Aumaan_Kujata View Post
    Also, I think the CE mount is going to be the gryphon thing, isn't it? With the mount-that-might-be-related-to-"Not the big one. The little one." as something that everyone gets? I'll toss my vote in for Hiryu too, if anyone's counting.
    Yeah, the CE in-game mount will be the gryphon. But since the story-related dragon mount will be included in the physical CE as a figurine sometimes it's easier to refer to it as "the CE mount" as well. The dragon mount will be available to everyone in-game through the story, most likely the same way the Magitek Armor was in 2.0.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

I think a lot of what wasn't directly translated can be inferred from the conversation. Why would Midgardsormer strip you of the Blessing and then follow you around, if not to see if you are truly worthy?

The NA dialogue is still way bit too cryptic sometimes.

It may just be a language thing, I would say it's probably very easy to be vague and unclear in English simply because of the nature of the language itself.

I agree that the vast majority of it was able to be inferred from the English localization. The JP translation is far too... I dunno, simple in how it's laying everything on the table for you like that.

Anyway, dumb fan theory about the nature of the Dragonsong War and Ishgard and how Au Ra possibly tie into everything incoming.

Just going off of what Midgardsormr says, Ishgard done fucked up a long time ago. The JP translation helps drive the fact home that Ishgard has "sins" to "atone for" while the english localization says, "Sons must answer for their fathers' misdeeds..." Just to kick it off, I think those misdeeds are turning traitor.

We know for a fact that Ascians are in control of Ishgard. We also know that Ishgardian policy on things like outsiders and lending aid to other city-states has been relatively unchanged for some time now. They've been religious zealots and xenophobes fora quite some time. This makes me believe that the Ascians have had control of the Holy See for a rather long chunk of history as what good would controlling the leader of a militaristic city-state be if you haven't manipulated it into some kind of tool?

We also know that Midgardsormr, if not his brood, are allies of Hydaelyn and protectors of the planet at any cost. As far as we've been shown, the greatest threat to Hydaelyn herself are the Ascians and Zodiark.

To tie the points together, I don't think it'd be too ridiculous to think that Ishgard and the Dravanian's were allied at some point in the forgotten past, possibly fighting a war against some larger threat (likely something to be revealed in Heavensward, if it's not Zodiark-related). Somewhere along the road, Saint Shiva made a pact ("lay") with the Dragons to gift some of their power to her people to either cement the alliance between the two peoples and or simply bolster the fighting force. Hence, Au Ra looking like a crossbreed between Hyur/Elezen and Dragons. Somewhere along the line, Ishgard was infiltrated by Ascian influence (or just turned into dicks) and betrayed the Dragons, pulling an Order-66 on the Dragons and exterminating a large contingent of them. Saint Shiva's people fled to Othard to escape their now "heretic" status while the Dragons swore retribution upon Ishgard itself.

Now the Dravanian Horde has sung the Dragonson to begin war anew and is intending on destroying Ishgard for the most heinous crime of all in any honor-bound society, turning traitor. The Au Ra have heard the call to war and are coming to lend aid to the races of man because they don't think Ishgard necessarily needs to be destroyed. Just those in power/under direct Ascian influence.

Midgardsormr is following you around because he wants to know if you have the strength to stand up to the Ascian influence yourself and if there's a way to destroy Ascians at all. You were chosen for a reason or something.

The best part is that Midgardsormr is working to remove your Warrior of Light status and turn you into a Dragon Warrior. H e h.

I really hope the Ascians/Zodiark have as little to do with the expansion as possible...

They're going to be the big bads for a long time to come, I imagine. While we might not hear much about them for a time (building your way to the leadership of a xenophobic city-state shouldn't be easy), they're absolutely going to be the looming threat until we get rid of them for good.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    I really hope the Ascians/Zodiark have as little to do with the expansion as possible...
    It is nigh impossible that we'll be done with them before Heavensward. I expect the Ascian storyline to take another year or two, at least. They may take something of a backseat, but very doubtful we'll be rid of them completely anytime soon.

If they are gonna be around, they better pull some Shadow Lord-RotZ shit with their story because they could not be more dull and generic bad guys.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Hoping we're able to pull more allies from people we've helped out when the final clash against the Ascians begins. Having Midgardsormr and others giving us a hand, even if its just some buffs, would be nice. I'm likening it to the Zeromus fight in FFIV where past party members grant you some sweet assistance before you start the ass-kicking proper.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Like has been said earlier, it's very likely Midgardsormr ends up being our dragon mount that Yoshida hinted was important to the story.

As for JP vs EN debates, the only part that bugs me is Midgardsormr seemed to laugh at us believing the stars guided his kin when the JP Midgardsormr definitely supports that this is something dragons can do. (I was always skeptical personally, since Ishgardians are a bunch of crazy religious zealots) He could've thrown in an "also" here to drive home the point that the the Echo and the Blessing are distinct but w/e

When Fernewhales Koji-Fox says he's the guy who invented the language theyre speaking (Dravanian) I'm perfectly okay with him making his English translation more "truer" to the Dravanian language than the Japanese language. I'm sure Oda's super cool and all, but fuck the police Ferne is king of the mountain. Corvus fortis ascendit, bitches.

A wise dragon king testing us is a pretty metal throwback to FF1 tho