1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 22 hours, 7 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 1 hours, 52 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 15 hours, 7 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 18 hours, 52 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 107 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 ... LastLast

Thread: FFXIV story/lore thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

So I've been thinking about the 2.5 story cutscenes a bit more... There a few things that are highlighted in the narrative that seem inconspicuous at first, but I think they might be important after all.

- Midgardsormr talks about the trade of one life for another when Moebryda sacrifices herself to kill Nabriales.
    - Moenbryda's greataxe gets the spotlight shone on it quite heavily.
    - Nabriales commands time during our battle with him and the in-battle dialogue clearly points this out.
    - Nabriales also casts Quake III.

With these things in mind, take a look at the game's description of Althyk, god of time and apparently one of the gods who, together with his sister Nymeia, ordered Midgardsormr to protect Silvertear falls:

Althyk, the surveyor of change and god of space and time, commands the element of earth and is associated with the Sixth Umbral Moon (twelfth month). He is depicted as an austere emperor wielding a mythril greataxe.
    Are they trying to give us more hints that there's a connection between the twelve and the Ascians?

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

What I took away from the Axe bit was a bit of humor considering she was flat-out gifted the axe, being expected to pay it back in some way, shape or form later, while we had to do the 3 EX primals for it. I remember bitching in my FC about how she got hers for free while I had to work for it.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Helmut Lang
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

New to this thread and XIV Lore in general. Is there a site/wiki similar to this: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Ajido-Marujido that catalogues the XIV Lore and perhaps has pages dedicated to the major players and random NPC's in the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Intense View Post
    New to this thread and XIV Lore in general. Is there a site/wiki similar to this: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Ajido-Marujido that catalogues the XIV Lore and perhaps has pages dedicated to the major players and random NPC's in the game?
    Just say how you love NPC_NAME for doing something he/she didn't do. The internet will jump to correct you thus giving you the information you were looking for.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Random tidbit from the event: the three blades of the Sultansworn are Curtana, Joyeuse and Durandal. I don't remember knowing the names of the other two before.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    Random tidbit from the event: the three blades of the Sultansworn are Curtana, Joyeuse and Durandal. I don't remember knowing the names of the other two before.
    Looks up Joyeuse to see what it was in reality, finds this on wikipedia
    Some legends claim Joyeuse was forged to contain the Lance of Longinus within its pommel; others say the blade was smithed from the same materials as Roland's Durendal and Ogier's Curtana.
    Interesting.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

They're also intrinsically linked to Almace, wouldn't be surprised if that shows up eventually.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Did anyone catch the story-related easter egg in the new trailer? Bayonne tweeted about it here: https://twitter.com/mattalos/status/574437490054021120

I'm thinking it might have something to do with this:

Saint Shiva laying with dragons. Floating continent is dragon-related. Same statue as in Ahk Afah Amphitheatre but the human half is deformed.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

The floating continent is allagan related, not necessarily dragon related (unless there's indeed a connection between the enslaved meracydian dragons and the dravanian dragons like I've been rambling about).

Also, maybe it's this?

The two statues just kinda reinforces my speculation that Ishgard and the Dravanians got along at some point in the past and the Ishgardian's ended up betraying the Dravanians.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

The Warring Triad on the Allagan Floating Continent def gave me penis rigor mortis.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

ftr Bayohne confirmed that the easier egg is the hyur walking into Ishgard as WAR at the start of the trailer and leaving as DRG at the end... so fucking lol

I don't think he knows what an Easter Egg* is then.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by solracht View Post
    The floating continent is allagan related, not necessarily dragon related (unless there's indeed a connection between the enslaved meracydian dragons and the dravanian dragons like I've been rambling about).

Also, maybe it's this?
    Spoiler: show

If this is true I will piss myself with joy. I doubt it... but then again, they put Cloud of Darkness in this game. they really are reaching back...

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Oh that's totally the goddamn Warring Triad. I hope they don't cover up dem tits. Go old-school Amanno with Goddess!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Goddess was designed by Nomura, no?

In the original concept artwork by Tetsuya Nomura, the Warring Triad are named beyond their basic titles: The Goddess is Sophia, the Demon is Zurvan, and the Fiend is Sephiroth.
    Sephiroth confirmed

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

which one? Hod? Netzach? Malkuth?

...that's a little Kabalah joke for y'all

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Oh that's totally the goddamn Warring Triad. I hope they don't cover up dem tits. Go old-school Amanno with Goddess!
    Don't count on it, judging by the way they wrapped up CoD.

Got mithra running around in goddamn lingerie every 2 feet but the big green monster can't have some cleavage. Priorities.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Interesting points of the Tour:

The ruined 1.0 aetheryte camp is likely Riversmeet. I believe it's the first time we've seen a 1.0 aetheryte as well, though it appears to be overaspected toward ice now, which would make sense considering Snowcloak.

Also there's a very obvious Vigil with the Dragonslayer (lance cannon) replaced with a Dragon statue; likely to be Dusk Vigil since we're headed West. Also don't know how they're going to rectify the whole "Snowcloak is impassable, except some Heretics made some tunnels also now apparently the bridge is open LOL" Also since especially Ishgard had apparently completely written off the Western Highlands as lost to the Calamity, bleh. So how the fuck is there a modern aetheryte camp there, like larger than Dragonhead? Also what are those winged statues? We don't see many potrayals of the Twelve, but it seems unlikely to me Halone is winged?

If we go to Twinpools that'd be cool since it's allegedly poisonous to humans due to dragons drinking from it? But probably froze as fuck by now.

Ishgardian architecture extends into the Dravanian Hinterlands, which confuses me since I thought Ishgardians came from the south ? (as evidenced by Haldrath's March) Though there is a lot of unfamiliar architecture there which could be Sharlayan.

The whole Churning Mists deal confuses the hell out of me too. Why is shit suspended in air? Like, we have reason to believe floating continents have existed for hundreds of years from Darnus and Sezul Toloc, but Toloc's people thought they were legends and not real while Darnus tells us they're born of Allagan technology.

Sea of Clouds is confusing in English since it exists as a landmark already in 2.0, but the French vid which I watched accidentally clarified it's the Sea of Clouds in Abalthia's Spine. Still who the fuck is setting up these aetherytes lol

The sunken city with a magical barrier in front of an ominous mountain peak feels like it should be Sharlayan to me and I hope it is.

The Warring Triad on the Allagan Continent leads to some pretty big questions tho, like why would the Allagans have statues of that shit? Also it means those should be some of the oldest Eorzean ruins--only the Crystal Tower should be older iirc? The Coils are remnants of Dalamud which was created after Xande's resurrection and the other ruins we see are from the Dark Ages between his reigns. (Though some of the architecture of the Hinterlands is reminiscent of Dark Age Allagan, it's definitely not the same)

I don't buy the warped human+dragon statue shit, but we'll see. The last bit of the trailer is flashes to a bunch of zones; the warped human+dragon statue looks like it's in the Forelands crimson dark matter area (which looks like Boulder Down shit)

Also the first time we've seen green corrupted crystals. Also there's 10 statues at the end of the trailer, and then 2 more sentries; so it's likely to be Haldrath's bros aka KotR aka Knights of the Round.

re: all that stuff ^

I really hope they leave the Allagans out of it as much as possible.

If everything is "an Allagan did it" shit's boring before it even starts. With everything we saw in the coil and CT storylines, going so far as to kill their greatest undead emperor, there's really not much more mystery or intrigue behind them.

Yea, yea, hoping against hope, etc.