1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 23 hours, 41 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 0 hours, 18 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 16 hours, 41 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 17 hours, 18 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 107 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: FFXIV story/lore thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Road Tinnies
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Also meant to say earlier nice work on this thread so far to those contributing. Really have enjoyed reading all the tidbits about the story helped tie it all together. I never really got to enjoy it too much of the story in 14, which was my own fault. I stopped in Dec 2010 and didnt pick it up again till Jan 2012 and once i started playing again it was just one big PL trip to catch up with everyone spammed it all never enjoyed much of it.

CHeers!

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Agreed, thanks, this is the best thread on the forums!

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    I don't think the statements are contradictory. Ala Mhigan Invasion was stopped 15 years ago by a Primal, the Paragons taught the Beastmen Tribes how to summon the Primals 10 years ago. We obviously know now that Primals have been around forever (since the time of Allag, and I'm betting earlier, lol)
    For sure, don't get me wrong. I think it's an important distinction to make because a lot of summaries I've seen simply state that the primals suddenly appeared 10 years ago(probably just an over simplification of what Louisoix said), which if you dig a little deeper isn't the case.

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Since there seems to be a lot of info being tossed around I thought it would be a good idea to make a timeline. I've really only put in events and dates so far, but I plan to expand upon the descriptions at the bottom in the future. I'll also try to keep up with the thread and update the timeline as we go.

Spoiler: show

Currently I have a screenshot of what I did in excel, but I'll see what I can do to create a google doc.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Started a text-based timeline right before you posted that

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Yeah, I just saw it in the front page...

I'll probably still continue with it though. Maybe come up with a better graphical representation for the storyline.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The Garlean Empire is only a whopping 50 years old?

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

I never was around for Easter, but apparently this Mithra chick was a "Dreamer" (the whole idea of sleeping seems to be a pretty big deal in XIV) and confronted by twelve Archons in her dreams to "make ready the vessel for our return" or some shit by one in particular (it's referenced as a dude so it's totes Louisoix), and it culminates with her being crazy and reciting the 120 verses she heard in her dream. Also they ride in one eggs she thinks but what if she's retarded and they're some sort of other object like STARS

Hatching Tide I Epilogue:
    Somewhere along the banks of the Black Tea River in Gridania...

"I see the mind purge was a success," mutters a hooded man as he slowly folds a copy of the Raven and slips it beneath his dark cloak.

"I did only what was necessary. Had we let her continue before we had completed our preparations, the consequences would have been dire," replies a similarly garbed woman huddled in the shadow of a nearby tree.

The man pauses for a moment, then slowly lifts his head to gaze upon the twin moons hovering in the night sky before whispering, "Yet time is of the essence. There are those who have already begun to piece together the clues laid out before them, and soon our secret will be a secret no longer. But until then, we must remain vigilant..."
    Who the fuck-- it doesn't sound like Urianger, but it probably is and idk who the chick is; perhaps these are Archons are not Circle of Knowings? Is there a huge difference anyway i mean rly . Though, I guess there's mention of Urianger appearing before this (like two weeks) and this concurrent with the beginning of deaspected crystals

fucking easter events and them fucking bringing gods back from the dead
    fun fact: Urianger's last name is Augurelt

i found this but no source yet '~'
    “Ahldbhar (an Archon in the form of a Roegadyn said to be Rhalgr the Destroyer himself) fought relentlessly against a clan of wicked sorcerers that sought only to wreak havoc on the world through their dark powers. But then, something happened… Something that threw Ahldbhar into deep despair. And in the end, he turned and took up with the enemy, though none can say as to why.”
    Aye, ’at bleedin’ meteor plopped down right there on the outskirts o’ Owl’s Nest, it did. ‘Fore I knew what was what, a bomb bigger’n an aldgoat rose up from that selfsame spot.
    obvi those bombards are parts of dalamud debris

There are only three continents and Eorzea is one of them?
    http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...ire/index.html

oh 2011 was the year of Halone and 2012 is the year of Althlyk, so I wonder wtf 2009 was

saints which appear on the guildleves are said to guard the mortal realm and stuff halloween event blah blah

The primal first summoned eight years ago by the nomadic Amalj’aa, among whom he is worshipped as a guardian deity. According to Amalj’aa creation mythos, after the gods came together and gave birth to the world, Ifrit breathed the fire of intelligence unto the great lizards of Hydaelyn, so impressed was he with their resilience. Thus did the noble Amalj’aa tribe come into existence.
    definitely eight years ago Ifrit started appearing at least '~'2 years post Silvertear Falls

30 years ago the Darklight Raiders were hired to make passage through Cutter's Pass safe, they didn't do so well. Also Chimeras are voidsent, the way it reads "straight from hell itself" etc etc something like that

Thavnair, the island upon which Radz-at-Han is situated
    CONFIRMED http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...a1be625c195955
    also colibri???? EASTER EGG FOR AN EASTER EVENT???????????

Domitien, Ishgardian Scholar purports that Dalamud is getting closer and altering aetheric flow, which makes the monsters bigger (idk why) and causes crystals to go crazy (overaspected, deaspected etc) apparently the common person in Eorzea thought Dalamud was getting bigger & not getting closer I guess? lol http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...4744b0e9b92bce

This aetheric disturbance is also probably what caused Atomos to appear and has opened up the possibility of going back & forth between the Void (they said "other worlds" but I swear to god if we start doing alternate dimensions)
    However, Atomos has eaten enough aether to permanently exist in Eorzea or some shit which is why we could defeat him and makes tonnes of fucking gil with Dawn Drops

the name 'Atomos' is from an ancient Hyur myth and translates roughly to 'The Indivisible'

Qiqirn & Goblins became aggressive to man near the end of 1.0; [not rly but lorewise] don't know why, maybe fear of end of the world, maybe they crazy, who knows-- also the world was flooded with cactuars and it's Dalamud's fault too

There are only Fourteen Legions in the Imperial Army, so we won't have a Legatus XV, which makes sense because of Final Fantasy

jfc i hate myself

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Yes, it is ridiculously young

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    According to a quote posted by Rocl on page 4 of this thread it is still a young empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl
    So, BoSF is 1562

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/about/...ties/mor-dhona

In the Year 1557 of the Sixth Astral Era, a mere thirty-six years from the Empire's founding, the Garleans brought their campaign of conquest to Eorzea, swiftly bringing the city-state of Ala Mhigo to its knees.
    Ala Mhigan Invasion is 1557, BoSF is apparently 1562
    I think if there is anything I learned in history classes it is that empires like to expand a lot, especially at the beginning of their inception.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

My final contributions for today from the Lodestone in case all that lore goes kaput when they redo Lodestone:

All in the Order of Nald’thal know well the legend of Shatotto, a mighty thaumaturge from the fifth of Astral Eras
    Among her creations, the Stardust Rods are by far the most powerful and coveted, believed as they are to be fashioned from the celestial remnants of a star Shatotto herself brought down to Hydaelyn and clove asunder.

none of the other relics have interesting lore that pertains to the overarching story,
    A-Towa-Cant, of the respected Padjal of House Cant disappeared with Thyrus some decades ago
    Legend of a monk who spared with Coeurls
    Three Swords made at the same time Paladins (Sultansworn) were created, I didn't level PLD but it seems like Paladin is a very young "job" or at least the upper echelons of Ul'dah practiced jobs over disciplines even in modern times

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

The Grand Companies of Eorzea were active for the last time 1500 years ago (implies they happened before then at some point). According to Rocl, the ixali moved to the Godswood 550 years ago. This makes Gelmorra at the most 500-600 years old, since the reason the Gelmorrans lived underground was, amongst other things, because of the ixali. Gelmorra predates Gridania.

wat.jpg

Well, the simple explanation is the Grand Companies of Eorzea aren't limited to the three existing nations and they were founded by different ones, but it still sounded funny to me the first time I put it together.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

i'd like to restate the fact Rowena was totally employed by Nael van Darnus

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

post it on the OF so they name an NPC after you

Roclwena for example

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by solracht View Post
    Roclwena
    I chortled like an idiot.

What kind of lore do we have regarding the origins and migration directions/times of the races? The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are the Miqo'te migrating across a frozen ocean in search of game during essentially an ice age (perhaps the Umbral Era of ice??) and the Hellsguard Roegadyn originally living way up north in the mountains (where they guard what they essentially believe to be the gates to the hells). I'm reading speculation that the Duskwight may be descendants from the Gelmorran, which sounds entirely possible (subterranean culture, indigenous to the Black Shroud, etc.).

I can't be bothered to look up the wiki or official shit on the races because I'm putting pizza in my face right now, but I feel like they left out their origins on the ARR site.

I remember the elvs were the first race to inhabit Eorzea and kept it for a long time.

I think it was from the official description on the site but I went to check and it's messed up, the description for the elzen is the text from the moon mithras.

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

You're right about their being little info on the origins of the 5 playable races. Most of the information I have come across is found on the finalfantasyxiv.com website under About > News > Races section. What is there is very little and in the case of the Elezen they don't have an origin story because someone put the Miqo'te's story on that page instead. As for the Miqo'te you're right about it being an "ice age". On their race page it provides this description:

The ancestors of this line first made their way to the realm during the Age of Endless Frost in the Fifth Umbral Era, traversing frozen seas in pursuit of the wildlife upon which they subsisted.
    As for the Elezen:

The forests, of which the Black Shroud is the tangled heart, have been home to the Wildwood Elezen for hundreds of years. Many of the Wildwood, however, have been drawn to the city-states they helped found, such as Ishgard and Gridania.
    And I found this information regarding the Duskwight Elezen interesting:

These cave-dwelling Elezen are the descendants of a branch that split from the main Wildwood clan during the founding of Gridania.
    Lastly, I was surprised to learn the Dunesfolk clan of Lalafell were in fact the founders of Ul'dah.

The Dunesfolk can be found on the scorching sands of Thanalan and other such arid areas. As the founders of the merchant city of Ul'dah, they are famous for their obsession with commerce. A natural inclination to transform ideas into action has served the Dunesfolk well in their business dealings.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Elezen are indigenous to Eorzea, yes. We're not certain if Hellsguard or Dunesfolk are though, everyone else we can more less say come from somewhere else. Oh, I'm not certain about Highlanders either. I'm about to go to bed so I don't want to spend another hour doing a lore post (because I have wasted far too much time today) but I'll check my sources in the morning or some shit or maybe never

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

A few tidbits:

- Cid's father, Midas nan Garlond, was overseer of the Meteor project before Cid. Midas was also said to be a close friend of Gaius van Baelsar. It is possible the Meteor project predates even Cid's father as it's simply stated he was "assigned to oversee" it.

- "The Allagan civilization was established sometime soon after the dawn of the 3rd Astral Era, more than 50 centuries (5000 years) past. It thrived in Eorzea for more than a thousand years, it's boundaries extending as far as the great continent to the north and east."

- It was the Allagan's "power" (not sure if it's referring to Dalamud/Meteor or push for power in general) that eventually caused their destruction.

- Nael's father used Allagan technology to give Garlemald the upper hand in a war which eventually won the Empire its independence.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I think I may have been on the money about the Emperor having a thing for Nael's ruthlessness, trusting him too much, and Gaius (more of an old-timer that has seen some shit) feels a bit under-appreciated now that this hotshot psycho Allegan kid is his equal.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 107 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast