1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 37 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 22 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 17 hours, 37 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 16 hours, 22 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 107 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 ... LastLast

Thread: FFXIV story/lore thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Croy View Post
    Spoiler: show
    We gave him back his original eye after the first Nidhogg fight remember?
    Not what he's talking about.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    Not what he's talking about.
    No I dont I guess

He gained his eye back he gave to Nidhogg after we slew him the first time, he had both back thus two in the battle in this patch, he then gave up this same eye that he once gave to Nidhogg to our character, he never lost his right eye once.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Croy View Post
    No I dont I guess

He gained his eye back he gave to Nidhogg after we slew him the first time, he had both back thus two in the battle in this patch, he then gave up this same eye that he once gave to Nidhogg to our character, he never lost his right eye once.
    fair enough, but he did get his wing chewed off by nidhogg right?

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgameshx View Post
    fair enough, but he did get his wing chewed off by nidhogg right?
    It wasn't his whole wing, just one of the "tips". Look closely as he's flying and you can see the difference between the two sides.

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

nevermind

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nama Kemono
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Anyone done the new "Warring Triad" quest yet?
    Unukalhai reveals that he has the echo though it is somehow different and the big revelation "he is not of this star". The world he came from not only had Primals but the ability to contain them in Auracite crystals. Kinda reminiscent of FF Tactics' Zodiac stones. Some people are thinking not of this star means another dimension and that hes from Ivalice but star in XIV has always been used as a term to refer to a planet as far as I can recall. Plus I've never been a fan of the whole FF dimension crossing nonsense bleeding into actual XIV story outside temp events.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

gonna go with another planet

also, I guess we know where the warriors of darkness came from, and why they're.. dark

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    gonna go with another planet

also, I guess we know where the warriors of darkness came from, and why they're.. dark
    I'm trying to remember but isn't it theorized that the WoD's world effectively a mirror of our own (in effect that it's god is Zodiark)?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

I want to know why Lucia, the Garlean who can't use aether, can block a fucking stream of fire but my stupid paladin ass can't despite having shield skills.

Lending to the "WoL as a Primal" thing, I wonder if we're going to get the Super Saiyan 2 transformation right as opposed to Louisoix. All we've done since returning in ARR is build a legend of how unstoppable, how capable, and how amazing we are. Lou's phoenix was born from a desire to be saved, but that could have been anything. The WoL has people knowing him by name and face, and once Eorzea unites in believing in HIM we're going to smash Zodiark and the WoD.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lyall View Post
    The WoL has people knowing him by name and face, and once Eorzea unites in believing in HIM we're going to smash Zodiark and the WoD.
    We're going to spend 6 patches building up the spirit bomb, then a whole expansion explaining the processes of how its going to kill them, then another 5 patches after that of it falling ontop of them, and then a whole expansion just for the explosion.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Will be a good explosion though

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Can someone write down the exact difference between primals and ikons to me? From what I remember the Eikons do not need anyone to summon them, but where do they come from in that case? Are there any other known eikons aside from the triad?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

Eikon is imperial slang for Primals.

If you're talking about Elder Primals, like Bahamut or Odin, well even those don't fit the bill: We find out in Heavensward that Bahamut got summoned back by Tiamat and friends once he died and Odin's a cursed sword that basically corrupts someone into being his vessel.

I haven't done the Warring Triad stuff but I'm pretty sure that primals always have to be summoned by somebody.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

"Eikon" isn't Garlean slang in origin; it's misused by the Garleans in reference to all Primals, when in fact it was really reserved by the Allagans for only some Primals befitting a certain threshold of strength or capability. Unukalhai and the book beside him specifically give a lot of this information if you visit him in the Rising Stones.

The Warring Triad are Eikons, in the Allagan intent of the term. Bahamut Prime too is likely an Eikon if we're to account for his creation in the same timeframe as the Triad and the intent for him to be as mighty as he was in life to drive the Allagans out of Meracydia (as well as the mourning and anger of his brood and sister-wife Tiamat over his death at the hands of the Allagans). The timeframe for all of this by the way, is the successful Allagan invasion in Xande's second reign in the Third Astral Era after Amon revived him long after his first death (said invasion is what provoked these summonings by the native beast tribes of Meracydia).

Anyway as for the specifics of their initial summoning into material form out of the sea of aether that is the Lifestream, they're just like any other Primal we've seen. Sephirot for example was summoned by a race of tree-like sentient beings from an ancestral origin tree (this might be colorful backstory for his myth though, see: his Triple Triad card) in Meracydia. It was probably the case that Sephirot was summoned from the likeness or memory of such a mythological basal ancestor tree, or just the myth of such a thing; in any case it's not really pertinent beyond the rich tapestry of mythology and wishing saviors into being out of thin air.

Essentially what you can probably construe from them is that being wished into being by extremely desperate and despairing sentient life to defeat the mighty Allagan Empire meant the Triad (and Bahamut) were extremely powerful; unfortunately for all their sheer might they couldn't overcome the extraordinary technological capability of the Empire (with Ascian assistance of course: see Tiamat revealing how the Ascians revealed the secret of summoning to the Meracydian brood, and then betrayed them to the Allagans in turn) and were subdued and placed into neurolink bondage to prevent their "death" (and subsequently prevent freeing them to be resummoned by their summoners). The Hard modes of the Triad are as they exist now after millennia of being used by the autonomous machina of Allag for things like enabling the power generation of Azys Lla, and various scientific endeavors (the ability for Sephirot to induce immediate growth in living things for example in chimera research). The Extreme modes are simulations based on data millennia old taken from the time the Allagan military was facing them in their prime.

As an aside, another complication is that we're informed that the freely availible aether in the environment is lower in the present Seventh Astral Era than in the distant past in which these Eikons (and other Primals that befit this designation) came into being. Given that Bahamut Prime is the chief example of sucking up vast quantities of free aether with aid of the Allagan neurolinks for his regeneration (not bound or refined in the form of crystals), this might also be a substantial factor in determining the ceiling for a Primal's power (or their endurance at least).

Also as regards Odin, it seems like any other Primal, Odin has the ability to temper sentient beings not protected by the Echo (though like some Primals it seems like Odin prefers to not do so, or only do so in limited circumstances (such as needing to escape captivity by the Wood Wailers following his defeat in the Trial)). Additionally, as revealed at some point in the game by one of the Scions, Primals can choose to release their hold on those they've tempered; Odin may be among those that do so after having fulfilled whatever the objective was for tempering in the first place. The entity we see holding the sword (and probably Slepnir too) is conjured out of free aether in the environment; the reason why Odin simply can't reform immediately upon defeat in the FATE (or the Trial) is because the concentrations/levels of aether aren't conducive to allowing it to do so (as mentioned above). This is theorized by Brother E-Sumi-Yan in the Odin storyline.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I'VE CHOSEN A TITLE FOR THE LIKES OF YOU!
    BG Level

Just a quick question about the latest end of Heavensward:

Register to see the NSFW content

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I doubt it'd get retconned because you can still
    meet up with estinian after 3.0 and before 3.3 doing the DRG quests

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I believe the general consensus is that quests are time-locked to the patch they were released.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

https://twitter.com/moomoo_ffxiv/sta...15981083566080

Opinions? It seems to make more or less sense that there is a connection between those two. Zodiac was the 13th hidden Esper in FFXII and afaik Belias was mentioned by name in FFXIV during the summoner quest line.

edit: ok there is 100% a connection: "Scion that is both horse and woman, wielding utter control over the souls that wander the underworld, in opposition to the Martyr Igeyorlm, scion of light. Though she once served the gods as a guardian, when Ultima announced her rebellion, Shemhazai went to her, whispering of the gods' hidden weaknesses. She then descended upon the land without leave of the gods, and taught men of destruction and evil. For this was she stricken down and bound."
    http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/S...ntasy_XII_boss)

The Ascians are mentioned by name in the FFXII Esper Bestiarium.