+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wintersday is coming     submit to reddit submit to twitter

It's an MMO not a platformer, just because the average intelligence of most of the players is 6 years old doesn't mean that crap should be called content.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    shut your face. jumping puzzles are one of the best things about the game
    ^ My vote too. I often spend time taking random people around the game on Jumping Puzzle tours cause a lot of people don't even know they're there.

I'm just selling tons of the event items and making mad cash. Yeah, 1s/50b is mad cash, wanna fight about it.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    It's an MMO not a platformer, just because the average intelligence of most of the players is 6 years old doesn't mean that crap should be called content.
    I'd argue that the dodging mechanic kinda does make it a platformer. A game can be two genres at once.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Adding more elements to a video game is never a bad thing.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I'm sure the same team who designs and implements jump puzzles also works on class balance an- oh wait.

The jumping puzzle is a disgrace. They caved into casuals crying the halloween puzzle was too hard and introduced a puzzle that basically takes 5 mins to clear the first time.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Fine with me, means I'll get my endless tonic and bell faster

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

Happiest scrub in scrubtown.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyis. View Post
    Happiest scrub in scrubtown.
    Haha.

But yeah, took me a couple tries just going through and derped on the candy canes near the start.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Sad sad

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    The jumping puzzle is a disgrace. They caved into casuals crying the halloween puzzle was too hard and introduced a puzzle that basically takes 5 mins to clear the first time.
    And yet there are a pile of posts on the forum saying that once again the puzzle is too hard and that Anet should put in an "easy mode" version of the Winter puzzle that isn't timed.

I hate people

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Blocked models, + poor camera, + iffy platforming (charr/norn vs anyone) + terrain clipping issues + timed run = wut?

I still completed it, but there are obvious problems, with their implementation of their concept, and it adds frustration to the event; their execution difficulty challenge is marred by their inability to remove extraneous conditions that make you fail more then your skill would accommodate. Halloween was estimated so that only 5% would complete it, according to the designer; that's just WoW 40 main raid stupid, and though Wintersday is easier, they still haven't really learned.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    Haha.

But yeah, took me a couple tries just going through and derped on the candy canes near the start.
    Those friggin candy canes... That's the part where I derp up and over jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Kachiko View Post
    Blocked models, + poor camera, + iffy platforming (charr/norn vs anyone) + terrain clipping issues + timed run = wut?

I still completed it, but there are obvious problems, with their implementation of their concept, and it adds frustration to the event; their execution difficulty challenge is marred by their inability to remove extraneous conditions that make you fail more then your skill would accommodate. Halloween was estimated so that only 5% would complete it, according to the designer; that's just WoW 40 main raid stupid, and though Wintersday is easier, they still haven't really learned.
    I've had 0 of the issues you've described and I've completed it on my Charr and Norn characters multiple times. Easy, easy, easy.

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

Took me around an hour to finish. After failing each path a couple times, I had them memorized and only failed on unlucky jumps and the depoping presents path. I swear there was a GM waiting for me to jump just to depop all connecting ones So yeah, to me it was well balanced. Challenging but doable and I actually felt like I had something accomplished once I got to the end.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    I don't get why they insist on putting jumping puzzles into the game, its development time they could easily have put on other important shit that is still broken. Everything else they added is fine, but another jumping puzzle can go jump.
    Sigh... why does everyone believe that stopping development of new content means they do not have a team working on fixing bugs and older content? Seriously, they have the largest "live team" in the history of the industry. They are still hiring more people onto it. They have shown they are trying to do everything they can to fix bugs. Just because you do not appreciate some of the content that is released doesn't mean its worthwhile content.

Your way of thinking is why WoW is currently suffering a crisis of "content". Raid and daily quest content is not enough for that game just as much as new dungeons and fractals is not enough for GW2.

I for one enjoyed the jumping puzzle. While not as challenging as the Halloween puzzle, it was a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kachiko View Post

These are minor issues in which they made HUGE strides to alleviate in this event's puzzle. The mere fact that the participants are now split into much smaller groups on multiple paths means they learned something from the failures of Halloween. While its very clear that there are glaring issues with the event structure as a whole, the puzzle is one of the things that was greatly improved (if not dumbed down) from the first holiday event to the second.

Where the real issues with the event come in terms of "assumed promises" and the overall monetization of the gem store. The first event had the mini-pets and costumes perfect with the weapon/armor skins and RNG boxes a total clusterfuck failure. The Lost Shores event had its issues with the actual event content design as well as the RNG Chests, but they had at least understood that the mini-pets should be tradeable. Now we have an event where the ~1$ boxes have a VERY High upside but an extremely low average. Toss in the mini-pets are completely random and untradeable and you have a recipe for unrest and displeasure. When combined with the "assumed promise" that the actual event pets were to be 100% earned through gameplay and to find out that "promise" was a bait and switch... well a lot of people are displeased. We aren't going to see an improvement in the BLTP/Gem rewards before the event is over. We can only hope that Anet realizes that not being able to craft all 5 of the minipets, or be able to trade/buy materials from others who are uninterested in the pets is an unacceptable oversight and remedies the situation.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Things we now know about the Toy Frames:

1) You will have the opportunity to obtain frames for all 5 toys... ONCE.
    2) You will obtain enough Mystic Cogs in order to craft only TWO of the 5 toys.
    3) All 5 pets will be available on the Gem store for 350gems each.
    4) You can obtain an endless tonic of a specific toy by using the recipe (Toy Frame + 50 Stuffing + 50 Glue + 1 Glittering Dust) if you don't get your endless tonic, keep trying.

5) ArenaNet completely fucked up with these toys/tonics/pets. By not giving us the opportunity the craft all 5 toys like we had presumed they have 1 PR problem. Something that could have been avoided if ArenaNet had come out and told us that there was another use for these items.

I have friends that decided they were going to purchase the first three pets and craft the last 2. Thus they tossed the frames for the doll, soldier and ventari and can now not obtain the endless tonic. Its highly unfortunate that ArenaNet has crafted a fairly well put together event and then let the little things like Communication and a mishandled RNG box screw it up as well.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I'm that friend. Threw my princess dol away after I bought the doll and the tonic has a unique dance not available anywhere else in the game. Seriously fuck Anet and their secretive bullshit. Some things you can be secretive about and let ppl discover it for themselves, but holiday events are not that type of thing. keep fucking up your game Anet due to lack of communication

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

While minor, yeah that is a load of bullshit on their part.