+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Reality would politely disagree.
    I'm sorry, I think I forgot to serve sarcasm in my post so that you could taste it.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

all you guys calling for U.N. intervention understand how the U.N. works right

any permanent member of the five state security council (England, France, China, Russia, U.S.) can veto a pending resolution for any reason whatsoever and there is no legal recourse beyond convincing the vetoing power to change their vote

the Arab League's plan for intervention in Syria was vetoed by China and Russia

there's literally nothing the U.N., or any individual member state acting through them, can do as long as that is the case

Tamale Baby
    Groundskeeper of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The only problem with backing the rebels (Free Syrian Army) is you also back the Islamist groups like Al-Nusra Front (was just added to the Terrorist watch list by the U.S) and Ahrar al-Sham, you back their cause also.
    I think before power is handed over the FSA and the Islamist groups are going to have a show down.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I just can't understand the level of fucked-in-the-head that makes anyone believe it is ok to kill indiscriminately just to hold on to power that is no longer theirs to hold.

I can't even put it in words...my mind is full of fuck.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    The only problem with backing the rebels (Free Syrian Army) is you also back the Islamist groups like Al-Nusra Front (was just added to the Terrorist watch list by the U.S) and Ahrar al-Sham, you back their cause also.
    I think before power is handed over the FSA and the Islamist groups are going to have a show down.
    And because we've already waited so long, the non-Islamist rebels already feel like America has turned a blind eye to them (we have) and we have little diplomatic or political ties to anyone else.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Re: Another Middle East Crisis, Syrian Special "WMD"

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    all you guys calling for U.N. intervention understand how the U.N. works right

any permanent member of the five state security council (England, France, China, Russia, U.S.) can veto a pending resolution for any reason whatsoever and there is no legal recourse beyond convincing the vetoing power to change their vote

the Arab League's plan for intervention in Syria was vetoed by China and Russia

there's literally nothing the U.N., or any individual member state acting through them, can do as long as that is the case
    And political pressure is on them when these atrocities happen; however much that helps us in the future.

I can't wait till I'm 55 and we're invading Syria because we installed Abbas al-dirkaherp and he is a brutal dictator and is developing fission bombs and space lasers.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I can't wait till I'm 55 and we're invading Syria because we installed Abbas al-dirkaherp and he is a brutal dictator and is developing fission bombs and space lasers.
    Won't we have to wait for someone else in the Bush family to become president for that?

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Acevalefor View Post
    Won't we have to wait for someone else in the Bush family to become president for that?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_P._Bush

He's half-mexican, a war veteran, has a law degree, tl;dr prepare your anuses America

blax n gunz
    BG Level

VICE's Syria Ground Zero series is a must-watch for folks who want to see what it's currently like for the civilians.
    Fair warning, Part 1 is unflinchingly graphic. NSFW barely covers it.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Acevalefor View Post
    I just can't understand the level of fucked-in-the-head that makes anyone believe it is ok to kill indiscriminately just to hold on to power that is no longer theirs to hold.

I can't even put it in words...my mind is full of fuck.
    Assad's choices are to step down in disgrace, be granted asylum in some foreign country indefinitely, be paraded through the ICC or to go out in a blaze of glory.

Considering his father and the type of entitled position he has towards the country, its no surprise he's considering using chemical weapons. This is his country, he is the only man capable of running it and the plebs have emotionally wounded him.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

blax n gunz
    BG Level

I can't wait for the right to start screaming bloody murder over this.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

i was under the impression that the right was pro-intervention on syria.

BG Level

Re: Another Middle East Crisis, Syrian Special "WMD"

The right isn't sure what they want because they haven't figured out exactly what Obama wants to do so they don't know yet what the opposite of that is.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    The right isn't sure what they want because they haven't figured out exactly what Obama wants to do so they don't know yet what the opposite of that is.
    Yeah, that's also the distinct impression I get. Mebbe Obama needs use reverse psychology?

Obama: "I want to tax the poor more and the rich less!"
    Repubs: "That evil! We wants tax poor less and rich more!"

No idea why I decided to forego grammar in this post.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    When in doubt, John McCain is always consistent. Arm everyone, bomb everything.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Ashmada View Post
    No idea why I decided to forego grammar in this post.
    Because it helps sell the illusion?

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

MAREA, Syria — The plane came in from the southeast late in the afternoon, releasing its weapons in a single pass. Within seconds, scores of finned bomblets struck and exploded on the homes and narrow streets of this small Syrian town. After the screams and the desperate gathering of the victims, the staff at the local Freedom Hospital counted 4 dead and 23 wounded. All were civilians, doctors and residents said.

Many forms of violence and hardship have befallen Syria’s people as the country’s civil war has escalated this year. But the Syrian government’s attack here on Dec. 12 pointed to one of the war’s irrefutable patterns: the deliberate targeting of civilians by President Bashar al-Assad’s military, in this case with a weapon that is impossible to use precisely.
    Syrians on both sides in this fight have suffered from the bloodshed and sectarian furies given dark license by the war. The victims of the cluster bomb attacks describe the tactic as collective punishment, a mass reprisal against populations that are with the rebels.

The munitions in question — Soviet-era PTAB-2.5Ms — were designed decades ago by Communist engineers to destroy battlefield formations of Western armored vehicles and tanks. They are ejected in dense bunches from free-falling dispensers dropped from aircraft. The bomblets then scatter and descend nose-down to land and explode almost at once over a wide area, often hundreds of yards across.

Marea stands along an agricultural plain, surrounded for miles by empty fields. Even at night, or in bad weather, it cannot be mistaken for anything but what it is — the densely packed collection of small businesses, offices and homes that together form a town.

Two journalists from The New York Times were traveling toward Marea as the attack occurred and arrived not long after the exploding bomblets had rippled across its neighborhoods.
    Blood pooled on the street, including beside a water-collection point at an intersection where Nabhan al-Haji, 18, was killed.
    Another victim, Ahmad Najjar Asmail, had been riding a motorcycle when a submunition landed beside him. He was decapitated. Ramy Naser, 15, was also fatally wounded.
    The hospital was crowded with patients. Many more were en route to hospitals in Turkey.

The use of cluster munitions is banned by much of the world, although Syria, like the United States, is not party to that international convention. In the detached parlance of military planners, they are also sometimes referred to as area weapons — ordnance with effects that cover a sprawling amount of ground.
    In the attack on Marea, at least three dispensers, each containing 42 bomblets slightly smaller than a one-liter bottle and packed with a high-explosive shaped charge, were dropped squarely onto neighborhoods and homes.

Two funerals began as the sun set, the latest in a town that rose early against Syria’s government, and has been one of the seats of defiance.
    One homeowner, Ali Farouh, showed the place where a PTAB-2.5M struck an exterior wall on his patio. His young son held up bits of shrapnel.
    “Bashar is a horse,” Mr. Farouh said, almost spitting with disgust as he said the president’s name. “He is a donkey.”
    An examination of the area by daylight found the signature signs of an air-delivered cluster munitions attack, including unexploded PTAB-2.5M submunitions, the tail sections and fins of three dispensers and three main dispenser bodies.

One resident also displayed the nearly intact remains of an ATK-EB mechanical time fuse associated with the same dispensers. Fragments of the submunitions’ fins were in abundance. An interior spacer and dispenser nose plate were also found.

Throughout the town, many of the narrow, telltale craters made by shaped charges could be seen. Some cut deep holes through asphalt into the dirt below, almost like a drill.
    It was not immediately clear why Marea was attacked, although many residents ascribed motives that mix collective punishment with revenge.
    The town is the home of Abdulkader al-Saleh, a prominent rebel field commander in the Aleppo region. Mr. Saleh, charismatic and lean, is locally known with near reverence as Haji Marea, and is celebrated by his townspeople for his mix of battlefield savvy, courage and luck. This month, just days before the cluster attack on his hometown, he was named a leader in the reorganized Free Syrian Army, as many rebels call themselves.

Residents said Marea’s recent history, and its indelible connection to the commander it produced, has earned it a high place on Mr. Assad’s list of targets.
    “The regime especially hates us,” said Yasser al-Haji, an activist who lost a cousin in the attack.
    No one disputes that Marea has repeatedly been attacked by some of the Assad government’s most frightening weapons. On Thursday, residents reported being hit by ballistic missiles, perhaps Scuds, which they said landed just north of the town with tremendous, earth-heaving explosions.
    In the case of the cluster munitions attack, one of the submunitions did strike a building being used by the rebels — a school where some of Haji Marea’s fighters are based. It blasted a small hole in the concrete roof and sprayed bits of concrete and shrapnel into the room below, which was empty.
    Several fighters, who were meeting in the next room as the jet screamed overhead — and the sole bomblet, out of more than 100, hit their building — chuckled at their near miss. But they were enraged by the attack.

They spoke of the government’s escalation of weapons throughout the year — from mortars, tanks and artillery to helicopter gunships, then to fixed-wing attack jets. Since summer, Mr. Assad’s military has used cluster munitions repeatedly, and recently began using incendiary cluster munitions, too. This month, Syrian activists and officials in Washington said the government had ratcheted up the pressure with one of the last unused weapons left in its stock — cruise missiles, with conventional warheads. Analysts who have watched the gradual escalations said the Assad government has followed a “boil-the-frog-slowly” strategy.

With the incremental escalations, they say, Mr. Assad has prevented the West from finding cause to enter the war, as NATO did against Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi of Libya after he rolled out almost all of his military’s full might at the war’s outset.
    One fighter, who gave his name as Mustafa, said that Mr. Assad had little left that he had not used. The fighter said he expected no restraint.
    “In the coming days, he’ll use the chemicals and he’ll destroy everything,” he said. “And will burn the people, and kill all the people — children, women, old men, the elders.”
    Mr. Assad, Mustafa said, “just needs to kill.”

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/21/wo...e.html?hp&_r=0

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/23/world/...war/index.html

(CNN) -- Scores of people who had been without bread for days were killed when Syrian warplanes bombed a bakery in the western village of Halfaya, opposition activists said Sunday.

More than 100 people were killed, the opposition Local Coordination Committees of Syria said. The death toll could rise, the activist group said.

An activist who oversaw the burial of many bodies said at least 109 people died.
    Hassan Al-Rajb told CNN that 69 people were identified and buried, while 15 others were laid to rest without being ID'd. At least 25 more bodies were still at the site, but hospital workers said the roads were cut off and they were unable to reach the bakery, he said.
    The hospitals cannot handle all the wounded, he said.
    An LCC activist told CNN he went to the scene.
    "There were dozens of dead thrown in the street. The residents were shocked and in a state of fear. It was chaotic," Mahmoud Alawy said.

Videos posted on social media purported to show the aftermath of the attack. Many bodies had limbs apparently blown off, and others lay bloody in the streets and in rubble strewn over a sidewalk. Uniformed Free Syrian Army soldiers and civilians scramble to pull survivors out of the carnage.

CNN cannot independently confirm government or opposition reports out of Syria, as the government has restricted access by journalists.

The town has lacked the ingredients for bread for about a week until an aid group delivered provisions Saturday, Alawy said. Hundreds of people lined up at the bakery on Sunday.

Al-Rajb said the town has three bakeries, and one opened at 1 p.m. Workers began to distribute the bread two hours later. He was on his roof about 200 meters (about 219 yards) from the bakery about 4 p.m. and saw a plane overhead. He scrambled toward the scene when he heard cries of "Emergency! Emergency!" he said.
    "The first floor collapsed on the second floor, and four rockets were fired into it," he said of the attack.

Alawy claimed the government has been targeting large gatherings of people with artillery shells in the recent days since the Free Syrian Army liberated the town from Syrian forces.
    About an hour after the bakery attack, 15 shells were fired into Halfaya from a nearby town, Al-Rajb said.

The Hama Revolution Command Council, a network of activists affiliated with the FSA in Hama province, said a MiG warplane bombed the bakery.
    Many Syrians face food shortages and other needs as winter weather sets in. The United Nations estimates that more than 2.5 million need humanitarian assistance.
    Earlier in the week, opposition groups also said rebels and regime forces battled near a hospital in Halfaya. Twenty-five people died there, the LCC said.
    Syria firing more Scud missiles, NATO says
    Russia: Syria consolidates its chemical weapons