+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

XIV 1.0's Failure is to Blame for SE's Lack of Good Games

I couldn't give two shits about an FFVII remake lol. My nostalgia goggles got broken a long time ago. I'll say this, I'll give FFXIV a look at if V2 actually resembles a game.

Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

Honestly I don't care much for a FF7 remake, I was happier having gotten Crisis Core more than anything. A backstory explaining alot of the gaps left in the original story that were never really explored, through a character that was interesting. And Cloud didn't really steal the show like you'd expect, he was there near the end for obvious reasons to tie things together but it wasn't the main focus. That and somehow Zack dying to random Shinra grunts in the original FF7 made no sense considering he was a SOLDIER and all, that final battle in Crisis Core was awesome and moving.

Remakes aren't out of the question, I mean they remade Wild Arms 1 eventually, but they'd have to change alot of battle mechanics in FF7 so much to appeal to the current crowd that people will immediately cry foul and moan about it.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    13-2 sold less copies than 13 though, which is what he's referring to I think.
    I think that was to be expected. Quite a few people didn't like XIII so they would have had no interest in XIII-2. Others would avoid because they're against the idea of sequels to FF titles. I didn't even look at X-2 for both of those reasons.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

You don't need WoW's subscribers to survive with monthly fees. Dragon Quest X was released not too long ago and it's already paid itself off with 400k subs and will become profitable next year.
    Games aren't going free to play because they're not making money. They're going free to play because they wanted more and didn't get it. Seems like most companies release MMOs expecting a new WoW but it's simply never gonna happen. And then you also have shitty games of course (FFXIV 1.0).
    SE doesn't care about WoW numbers, they want a constant flow of cash from XIV so they can invest more in HD games. That's also why they keep supporting iOS and browser games.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

SE should start a kickstarter for a direct FFT Sequel/Prequel and see how much money they get. I know I'd personally throw in at least $100 if I could make that project a reality.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    I think that was to be expected. Quite a few people didn't like XIII so they would have had no interest in XIII-2. Others would avoid because they're against the idea of sequels to FF titles. I didn't even look at X-2 for both of those reasons.
    So by what metric will you measure a turnaround if XIV 1.0's failure is the 'kick in the ass' that XIII and XIII-2 didn't represent?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    SE should start a kickstarter for a direct FFT Sequel/Prequel and see how much money they get. I know I'd personally throw in at least $100 if I could make that project a reality.
    i would love this but they'd have to rehire matsuno at least for the game. Matsuno's crimson shroud is out on 3ds now too, ima have to get that sucka.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    You don't need WoW's subscribers to survive with monthly fees. Dragon Quest X was released not too long ago and it's already paid itself off with 400k subs and will become profitable next year.
    Games aren't going free to play because they're not making money. They're going free to play because they wanted more and didn't get it. Seems like most companies release MMOs expecting a new WoW but it's simply never gonna happen. And then you also have shitty games of course (FFXIV 1.0).
    SE doesn't care about WoW numbers, they want a constant flow of cash from XIV so they can invest more in HD games. That's also why they keep supporting iOS and browser games.
    I'm sorry, but DQX is a terrible example. It only came out in japan 5 months ago and isn't out in the US until next year. Come back in two years and we'll see if it's still on the same subscription plan. They said the same thing you said about WAR, Rift, Aion, etc.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Assuming ARR goes well, XIV will be healthy with ample subscribers for a good chunk of years as long as every major patch and expansion dumps oodles of traditional Final Fantasy IP in their laps.

All you need is a teaser shot of Ultros at the end of a new dungeon or a town full of Bangaa/Viera and it'll keep its niche market which consists of a venn diagram of MMO players + FF fans. They don't need to do much other than add more long-term goals to keep the grindy MMO kids happy (especially in a game with so many classes/jobs to level), and the other players just need some more familiar faces.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    So by what metric will you measure a turnaround if XIV 1.0's failure is the 'kick in the ass' that XIII and XIII-2 didn't represent?
    I don't think there was much to turn around to begin with in their single player games. But XIV V1 showed that you can't just ignore your fans and develop some shitty game and expect them to play it because it's FF. The turn around is evident by the openness they've introduced since the flop. Player forums, interactive discussions with developers, live letters etc. They seem to be listening to their fans now.

I think XIII-2 did represent a 'kick in the ass.' It was much better than XIII imo and it showed that SE can listen to their customers. I just think they did what they could in the midst of all the backlash they were getting. They improved on a lot of criticism that XIII got and in my opinion XIII-2 been best title they had since X. Problem with SE is that they just got too comfortable with their shit and it finally backfired on them.
    EA and Ubisoft for me are walking that line too, I hope they are next.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I think the main issue with XIII-2 was getting rid of the old cast and using two completely new characters with a bunch of monsters. That's probably why the third entry is called Lightning Returns and not XIII-3.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    They should have just focused on FFXI after the initial flop, but they have too much pride. I see FFXIV being what FFXI is/was. Smaller loyal playerbase, but I don't ever see it becoming a WoW type game as far as subscriptions go.
    For the first time, I somewhat agree with you. Except that they should have never done a 2nd MMO FF in the first place. They already had 11, there was no point in making another one except for alienating their fan base. The fact that they're still working on it is an even bigger slap to the fanbase's face, and I'm surprised that so many people are still excited/interested in it. I hope it flops again.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

XIV 1.0's Failure is to Blame for SE's Lack of Good Games

Wow that's harsh dude. SE really is trying their best with XIV. It's allowing them to do what they wanted in the mmo world and couldn't with XIV dated architecture. It's not "alienating" anyone and you just sound butthurt about it. If the game is considered good by enough players for t to be profitable (note that I did not say "successful") then it will thrive.

SE has been pumping out niche games since day 1 pretty much. I haven't even picked anything up since XIII which I felt was terrible. Perhaps they just keep appealing to the same 13-16 year old crowd, but many just grew out of that. Plenty of others loved their newer stuff. Never would I say I hope their shit flops because of how I personally feel.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    they should have never done a 2nd MMO FF in the first place. They already had 11, there was no point in making another one except for alienating their fan base. The fact that they're still working on it is an even bigger slap to the fanbase's face, and I'm surprised that so many people are still excited/interested in it. I hope it flops again.
    One of the dumbest things I've ever read on this topic. I roll my eyes at you, sir.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

For the first time, I somewhat agree with you. Except that they should have never done a 2nd MMO FF in the first place. They already had 11, there was no point in making another one except for alienating their fan base. The fact that they're still working on it is an even bigger slap to the fanbase's face, and I'm surprised that so many people are still excited/interested in it. I hope it flops again.
    lol

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Enygma Xii
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The fact that they are still working on XIV proves their entire company underwent a paradigm shift. 1.0 has opened their eyes to the modern world. They are forced to consider the entire world instead of just the japanese world. We demand more and will complain more and want more feedback and transparency. They cant ride on their name anymore and they know it.

Getting rid of old timers like Tanaka (and his archaic way of thinking) and embracing the future with Yoshi-P will (hopefully) usher in a new era for SE. XIV's vision is a world that involves all FF of the ages past, the same way XIII-2's DLC coliseum works. People ate that shiet up being able to fight Ultros or Gilgamesh.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Enygma55 View Post
    The fact that they are still working on XIV proves their entire company underwent a paradigm shift. 1.0 has opened their eyes to the modern world. They are forced to consider the entire world instead of just the japanese world. We demand more and will complain more and want more feedback and transparency. They cant ride on their name anymore and they know it.

Getting rid of old timers like Tanaka (and his archaic way of thinking) and embracing the future with Yoshi-P will (hopefully) usher in a new era for SE. XIV's vision is a world that involves all FF of the ages past, the same way XIII-2's DLC coliseum works. People ate that shiet up being able to fight Ultros or Gilgamesh.
    Square soft made beautiful games with enjoyable stories, Square Enix drags Square Softs happy memories through the mud and shards of glass they litter around the world

So it's official, agreeing with Draylo is harmful to your intelligence.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I can't believe how many people liked XIII-2 and/or play XIV.

That said, I want XIV ARR to succeed. The recognition that 1.0 was terrible and they had to do something about it is encouraging, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this affects future titles.