+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

the failure of XIV was a good wake up call. it could be the best thing to happen to Square Enix in recent times if the changes brought about by it result is some form of commercial success for them, especially with ARR. although I've decided that I will invest time/money into it (i play all main lineage FFs anyway), i do hope it succeeds regardless because Yoshi-P and his dev team have worked really hard on it this time round and you will clearly see that from the stuff they'll soon put out.

as for XI.. well... better late than never. its important to bear in mind that MMOs are a continual process, like say.. a wiki. There isn't a real deadline for any of the changes they make - people will continue to use it, unless they entirely don't, but when you do make it better, the people who use it will appreciate it, and then it grows from strength to strength. no MMO has ever died a complete death without the devs pulling the plug anyway.. so it will still benefit some people, even if it isn't you.

I still think XI has fallen behind on this compared to other MMOs, but it has bothered to change when it really doesn't have to. like, a mere 2 years ago.. you wouldn't have thought they'd bother messing with or updating the UI when it hasn't changed for the past 8 years. it could have benefited more people if it was done like 5 years prior.. but for some things (like said UI changes) it was never a big issue in its time.

the game changes and evolves so anything done now isn't a lost cause. it has gotten its second and third winds before and can (and probably will) flourish again in some other form. all games will have some problems... and none are perfect. responding too quickly might not always be a good thing, or be seen favorably by players. you can't please everybody in that respect.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    the failure of XIV was a good wake up call. it could be the best thing to happen to Square Enix in recent times if the changes brought about by it result is some form of commercial success for them, especially with ARR. although I've decided that I will invest time/money into it (i play all main lineage FFs anyway), i do hope it succeeds regardless because Yoshi-P and his dev team have worked really hard on it this time round and you will clearly see that from the stuff they'll soon put out.

as for XI.. well... better late than never. its important to bear in mind that MMOs are a continual process, like say.. a wiki. There isn't a real deadline for any of the changes they make - people will continue to use it, unless they entirely don't, but when you do make it better, the people who use it will appreciate it, and then it grows from strength to strength. no MMO has ever died a complete death without the devs pulling the plug anyway.. so it will still benefit some people, even if it isn't you.

I still think XI has fallen behind on this compared to other MMOs, but it has bothered to change when it really doesn't have to. like, a mere 2 years ago.. you wouldn't have thought they'd bother messing with or updating the UI when it hasn't changed for the past 8 years. it could have benefited more people if it was done like 5 years prior.. but for some things (like said UI changes) it was never a big issue in its time.

the game changes and evolves so anything done now isn't a lost cause. it has gotten its second and third winds before and can (and probably will) flourish again in some other form. all games will have some problems... and none are perfect. responding too quickly might not always be a good thing, or be seen favorably by players. you can't please everybody in that respect.
    I perfectly know that you cant please everyone and thats also not my goal, but SE pulled in the past in many occasions on FFXI the FU card for the players when it came to design adjustments, until the last 2 years ago after the shitstorm with FFXIV happened. And while I appreciate Yoshi-P's effort on Abyssea (and his work on FFXIV) and everything he has done for FFXI, I just totally cant ignore how the company itself handled things in FFXI(in the past) by letting an incompetent fucktard come back to FFXI after FFXIV failed.

I can name a few things SE blantantly ignored to implement for several years even if most of the playerbase cried for it:
    - Ground Kings
    - Going around faster in Vanadiel
    - more inventory space (mind you the first mogsatchel came with the token you had to buy)
    - reducing ??? repop timers
    - makeing shit in general more accessable
    - motherfucking absolute virtue
    - pandemonium warden
    the list goes on

granted all of that above is fixed and changed, and I am glad for that and the work they still put in to make FFXI really friendly to play. I dont know, its just that I am bitter towards SE, because they showed they can pull it off if they WANT to and are FORCED to because of a big failur (FFXIV), but if everything is fine with their finances they just ignore their customer. And thats exactly what I fear will happen with FFXIV, it succeeds it will go on fine for some time, maybe 2 years and then we as customers will go back to being unheard/unwanted bitches.

Tough in all honesty the new producer of FFXI is giving me hope again, his posts on the official forum sound very reasonable, i am just hopeing that he holds his words. Its just that big trust issue I have with SE.

SE had a precedent of not listening to fans and doing whatever the fuck they want. But recently they've shown something else and that's the exact opposite of sticking your head in the sand and going LALALALALA.

Now SE has started listening they aren't going to get far by doing the same shit they did 10 years ago. I quit playing XI because they didn't listen and the game got fucking boring (I mean, it wasn't exactly exciting for the most part) as they let it stagnant. I'll quit 2.0 if the same shit happens and with todays MMO market no one has to stick with a shitty MMO because they aren't any others out there. Well, I say that, but people play XI like it's the only thing that exists.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    SE had a precedent of not listening to fans and doing whatever the fuck they want. But recently they've shown something else and that's the exact opposite of sticking your head in the sand and going LALALALALA.

Now SE has started listening they aren't going to get far by doing the same shit they did 10 years ago. I quit playing XI because they didn't listen and the game got fucking boring (I mean, it wasn't exactly exciting for the most part) as they let it stagnant. I'll quit 2.0 if the same shit happens and with todays MMO market no one has to stick with a shitty MMO because they aren't any others out there. Well, I say that, but people play XI like it's the only thing that exists.
    I agree with your quote but I'll say I stick with FFXI (albeit not retail) because it's what I like. I tried Lineage 2 but didn't really care for it. WoW graphics are terrible in my opinion. I don't really care for the look of Aion or Tera. I guess, the FF realm suits what I want in a RPG'ish style game. I haven't tried XIV, but I may and hope it does go well.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damane View Post
    I perfectly know that you cant please everyone and thats also not my goal, but SE pulled in the past in many occasions on FFXI the FU card for the players when it came to design adjustments, until the last 2 years ago after the shitstorm with FFXIV happened. And while I appreciate Yoshi-P's effort on Abyssea (and his work on FFXIV) and everything he has done for FFXI, I just totally cant ignore how the company itself handled things in FFXI(in the past) by letting an incompetent fucktard come back to FFXI after FFXIV failed.

I can name a few things SE blantantly ignored to implement for several years even if most of the playerbase cried for it:
    - Ground Kings
    - Going around faster in Vanadiel
    - more inventory space (mind you the first mogsatchel came with the token you had to buy)
    - reducing ??? repop timers
    - makeing shit in general more accessable
    - motherfucking absolute virtue
    - pandemonium warden
    the list goes on

granted all of that above is fixed and changed, and I am glad for that and the work they still put in to make FFXI really friendly to play. I dont know, its just that I am bitter towards SE, because they showed they can pull it off if they WANT to and are FORCED to because of a big failur (FFXIV), but if everything is fine with their finances they just ignore their customer. And thats exactly what I fear will happen with FFXIV, it succeeds it will go on fine for some time, maybe 2 years and then we as customers will go back to being unheard/unwanted bitches.

Tough in all honesty the new producer of FFXI is giving me hope again, his posts on the official forum sound very reasonable, i am just hopeing that he holds his words. Its just that big trust issue I have with SE.
    i think you got a name or 2 mixed up. yoshi-p was never involved in XI..

but yes. i agree with you on the part that SE had taken the complacent stance for XI and let it stagnate and didn't push as hard as it probably could with the game by not listening to the playerbase and so on. I'd say blame Tanaka for that. but thats probably not just his issue but the issue with the older generation of game developers (in Japan). The one with the whole "I'm the developer I'm probably right and you're not" thing going on.

not sure if thats the case anymore tho. XIII-2 and ARR seem to say otherwise

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Whoa they fixed Kings? lol What they do?

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Removed the spawn timer and changed it to a ??? pop.
    The item to pop them comes from the respective 3 KSNM99s

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Aren't all the kings drops except d.ring still p.much worthless now?

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

well for a while (not sure about now) there was added value in the abjuration that the kings dropped because they could be augmented with pretty decent stats..

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    Aren't all the kings drops except d.ring still p.much worthless now?
    there are still some that are very good (only if augmented of course).

E.body
    E.legs to some extend
    E.feet for Bsts

W.head for QD

N.head for THF to some extent (I believe)

A.body if you are aiming for an occ. quickens spellcasting setup.

and of course BB items (dont drop anymore 100%)

tough if you want abjurations you better of just doing einherjar odin wiht 6 BSTs.

but yeah lets not derail the thread

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    For the first time, I somewhat agree with you. Except that they should have never done a 2nd MMO FF in the first place. They already had 11, there was no point in making another one except for alienating their fan base. The fact that they're still working on it is an even bigger slap to the fanbase's face, and I'm surprised that so many people are still excited/interested in it. I hope it flops again.
    It was more a matter of having a game that S-E felt locked into PS2 (fuck, it STILL feels that way even if Adoulin isn't getting a PS2 US release) capacities vs. one with modern consoles in mind. Unless they literally cut PS2 entirely from further upgrades, FFXI is still stuck dealing with the restrictions of a system that was new over a decade ago.

Since they weren't going to leave what was then a big ol' playerbase sucking wind by going PS3 ONRY, the only solution was a second FF MMO that was able to actually work with less limitations. Of course, it's 2012 going on 2013 now. Most older MMO's that got a new lease on life are PC-based only, and if S-E doesn't roll FFXI into newer consoles + PC only soon, it WILL only have XIV to look to as it's MMO solution. And that's a damn shame. EQ and UO are still happily chugging along.

That FF14 had so many stunningly BAD quality-of-life problems from the get-go was something that has to be flagged priority one with 2.0. Of course, if they -really- wanted to go full-on with it, you sit there with FF14-2 and go "Hey, guess what! XI was an earlier Age, 1.0 was the end of the previous one, and we're gonna throw tons of storyline linking the two together, fuck PlayOnline completely and we'll even give you XI + XIV 2.0 for one subscription so you can play the past + present of FF Online's world.

And rename the whole thing FF Online and be done with it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5