FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

XIV 1.0's Failure is to Blame for SE's Lack of Good Games

The failure of Final Fantasy XIV had a huge effect on Square Enix and the damage wasn’t limited to the company’s bottom line. "The unsuccessful launch of FFXIV caused a negative chain of events in other areas across the businesses. One notable example is the significant delay in the development of new HD games titles in Japan. As a result, our major releases of HD game titles use IPs previously developed by Eidos Interactive, and are sold mainly in Europe and North America," said Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada.

That explains why the Japanese side has been so quiet recently. We heard about other projects in Square Enix Japan’s lineup like Catacombs, which is probably canceled now, and that Unreal action RPG Square Enix was hiring for.

Square Enix’s Japan division released Final Fantasy XIII-2, Dragon Quest X, Kingdom Hearts 3D, a PSP port of Final Fantasy III, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (developed by IndiesZero), Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry’s Wonderland 3D (developed by Tose), and Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (developed by Silicon Studio) this year.
    http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/11...re-enix-games/
    http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ne...tsBriefing.pdf

Give the source a good, long read, lots of interesting information.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meek Marcello
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

So can we predict that 2.0 will be the game to end all games?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

They really have nobody to blame but themselves. the writing was all over the wall regarding XIV. from the people who were beta testing, ect. If they put all their eggs into one basket so to speak, they should of had a better quality control team over letting the crap that was XIV come out the door

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

On the flipside, this could be a good thing for 2.0. It sounds like everything hinges on it being a success. Means the quality will probably be top-notch. At least, one can hope.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely View Post
    So can we predict that 2.0 will be the game to end all games?
    2.0 is what the OP is about, or rather the resources spent on it.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    On the flipside, this could be a good thing for 2.0. It sounds like everything hinges on it being a success. Means the quality will probably be top-notch. At least, one can hope.
    The problem is, the mmo market is fucking shitty. Even if ffxiv is phenomenal it could still easily fail.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

It's basically do or die with 2.0.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Go hard or go home, SE.

AWWWWRIIIIIGHT LETS DO IIIIIIT!

/Joe Swanson

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

i think 2.0 could be the game changer..
    granted the MMO market is very saturated now.. there'd still be enough people to rope in to keep it afloat.

also because most of the next-gen wow clones really aren't that great. people are slowly moving on from that 8 year old game and looking for something that looks or feels new.. XIV has the advantage of a lot of lore/nostalgia-juice to tap into

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Also has the advantage of being on a console, which is still a relatively untapped market.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    The problem is, the mmo market is fucking shitty. Even if ffxiv is phenomenal it could still easily fail.
    True. I just really want this to work. FFXI was an amazing experience, problems and all. I would love for 2.0 to be the "Next WoW" so to speak. I love the franchise.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I want it to work too. I am not big into the whole SE hate and hope the company can survive and fix itself. Just that, sadly, this is a huge risk. One that I am not sure they will win.

Anti-crusade crusader
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I would hate to see square go down. But with their inability to get the fuck over themselves, it looks a bit gloomy to me. Especially, with what others have said, it is a disgusting MMO market. FFXI made a big splash in the water because of how little MMOs were out when it launched. You basically had UO, Lineage 1/2, and Everquest. Add to the fact that it was the only decent console MMO out there, Final Fantasy XI had a huge advantage.

Fast forward 12 years to the launch of FFXIV 2.0. We have big name MMOs out there like WoW, Guild Wars 2, TOR, Rift, Tera, ect. Plus with all the free to play MMOs out there, how many new subs do they expect FFXIV to have? Let alone hold on to. With how vicious and unforgiving current MMO players are, one fuck up and they're back to where they were.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Not to mention that no matter how amazing FFXIV 2.0 is, a lot of people are still just going to remember the initial failure. SE should've taken the loss and moved the fuck on, but instead it looks like they're going to keep digging themselves deeper and deeper.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

They should have just focused on FFXI after the initial flop, but they have too much pride. I see FFXIV being what FFXI is/was. Smaller loyal playerbase, but I don't ever see it becoming a WoW type game as far as subscriptions go.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Minerva Kissaki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

SE will allways have its Ace up its sleve

it shit ever hits the fan "hey we gotta lay people off"

incoming
    FF7 HD Remake with Advent children graphics would prob be enough to pull them out of the shit.

As much as i would rather have a FF9 remake... id eat 7 remake up in a heart beat.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Aristio View Post
    Fast forward 12 years to the launch of FFXIV 2.0. We have big name MMOs out there like WoW, Guild Wars 2, TOR, Rift, Tera, ect. Plus with all the free to play MMOs out there, how many new subs do they expect FFXIV to have? Let alone hold on to. With how vicious and unforgiving current MMO players are, one fuck up and they're back to where they were.
    And every one of those (that still have subscription) will go f2p except WoW. I really don't think it's been long enough yet that an MMO can sustain being subscription-based for more than two years.

Quote Originally Posted by shidobu View Post
    SE will allways have its Ace up its sleve

it shit ever hits the fan "hey we gotta lay people off"

incoming
    FF7 HD Remake with Advent children graphics would prob be enough to pull them out of the shit.

As much as i would rather have a FF9 remake... id eat 7 remake up in a heart beat.
    The only reason I would like to see FFXIV be a disaster is so that it will 'force' SE to make FF7 HD. But then again, the development will be so long that I'll doubt it will be a viable option to salvage the situation. Unless they've already been working on it for a while...

I would love a IX remake D; Pretty much the last true FF game.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

SE as a company is not going anywhere even if 2.0 flops and they take a substantial financial hit. The fact of the matter is that SE has a bunch of IP's that are great, and a bunch of developers and writers that are top notch. If XIV 2.0 fails and really impacts the company they will either sell or merge with another company, which frankly might not be a bad thing if they can allow some new blood/different opinions into their existing IP's.

One of the things that is affecting SE the most is that a large potion (not all) of the Japanese gaming company's is not developing alongside the western market so a lot of their idea's are dated (XIV 1.0 for example) and never had a chance in the current market place.

Another major problem affecting SE as a whole is that they began more projects than they can handle, which strains their overall resources as a company. While most major companies work on a small handful of games at any major time and really try to make those games the best they can be, SE has, as of late, begun multiple projects and exhausting more resources than necessary since a lot of the lesser projects will take years and years to complete.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast