+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Downton Abbey     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Downton Abbey

Anyone watch this or at least the Christmas Special tonight? This show keeps getting better each season.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Yes, bf and I just finished watching the entire series + the Xmas special. If what you're referring to is the older Xmas special on a rerun that is (the one immediately post Season 2). If you're talking about a new one I haven't seen it yet

We love the show cause it delivers great acting and drama but never anything too over the top like most soap operas. I guess what I mean to say is the drama is very believable and the faithfulness to the time period is believable as well.

Honestly wouldn't have started watching it if both guys at Penny Arcade didn't profess to not being able to stop watching it a year or so back. Very glad I did. I can't wait to see the new season, but I don't even remember when it starts XD

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I want to watch this, but my mother watches this religiously and there is some switch in the back of my head that clicks on and says no.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Then you are missing out, man. Not everything moms watch is lame, just most of it (especially if it's a reality show about houses or being fat)

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

My gf got me into this show a little over a year ago. I have to admit though that the amount of characters that you are introduced to in the first episode is a lot to take in, but you quickly begin to see who's good, who's bad, and who's lovable in a short amount of time. It kind of sucks that PBS broadcasts the show 3 months after it airs on the BBC and certain plot twists become widely known, but there are other means to watch it early. We just finished up Season 3's Christmas special and I have to say that S3 was probably the best season in terms of drama.

Also, I have to agree with Silenka. My mom watches this show and Doctor Who, so she does have some taste...though I do have to frown at her choice of watching the Toni Braxton reality show.

Re: Downton Abbey

My gf just got me started on this a few days ago. I'm only 4 episodes in, but I'm hooked.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zimt Zucker
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I heard all of the hype for this show and was like, I don't have time for this Jane Austen shit, but I'm bored of all of the other stuff I'm watching on Netflix so I'll just catch the first episode. And then I was finishing season two and ran out of episodes.

Fuckkkkk

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Nyosan View Post
    I heard all of the hype for this show and was like, I don't have time for this Jane Austen shit, but I'm bored of all of the other stuff I'm watching on Netflix so I'll just catch the first episode. And then I was finishing season two and ran out of episodes.

Fuckkkkk
    Not to worry. Season 3 finished in the UK already and they will start airing S3 in its entirety (8 episodes) on PBS starting Jan 6th 2013 on a weekly basis, ending with the Christmas Special that just aired this week. I won't post any spoilers but season 3 was damn good.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Helmut Lang
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    Not to worry. Season 3 finished in the UK already and they will start airing S3 in its entirety (8 episodes) on PBS starting Jan 6th 2013 on a weekly basis, ending with the Christmas Special that just aired this week. I won't post any spoilers but season 3 was damn good.
    Spoiler: show
    I can't believe the car accident scene... Both of our jaws dropped...

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Intense View Post
    I can't believe the car accident scene... Both of our jaws dropped...

When my gf and I watched it on Christmas, we both looked at each other because we had a feeling and I said to her "no they wouldn't do it...it's a Christmas episode and they wouldn't end it on a downer"...sure enough it happened. She did some research and found out that particular person wanted out of their contract to pursue a carer in literature.

E. Body
    BG Level

So I started watching this show about a week ago. In the beginning I claimed it wasn't my type of show, yet oddly I couldn't stop watching it... I'm now attached to most of the chars, and have finished the xmas episode and OMFG!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Iono View Post
    So I started watching this show about a week ago. In the beginning I claimed it wasn't my type of show, yet oddly I couldn't stop watching it... I'm now attached to most of the chars, and have finished the xmas episode and OMFG!
    Yeah I thought the same thing when I first watched it a while ago but it's easy to get hooked. I don't think I've run into anyone that says they didn't like the show except my co-worker who wasn't a fan of Season 3.

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'm bumping this for good reason.

Like the above posters. I never in a million years thought this would be anything I could find entertaining. But after winning a bunch of awards I sat through the first episode with my wife. (She always claimed it was good)

In the words of Lord Grantham... "Good god man!"

This show is quite possible one of the best character driven pieces of TV I've EVER watched. Its all up on Amazon Prime's instant stream, and I tell you what, even if you can't imagine yourself sitting through a show about aristocrats and teacups, do yourself a favor and try it. We are finishing the third season and I can say that its one of few shows where I really find myself struggling to pace it out and not watch every episode in one day.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Not gonna lie. I've seen every episode. Got bored by s3 but still glad I watched

ExcaliMod

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

You got bored in S3? Seriously?

We just got to Cybals death and its been a roller coaster

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I actually didn't think there was a thread for this and forever wanted to talk about it.

I am super pissed because:

The two major deaths were because the fuckwit actors were like, "HEY WE'RE BIG NOW, LET'S FUCK THIS SHOW AND TRY AND DO FILMS!" They weren't planned, and it really kinda killed the show for me. Up until then I was hooked like no tomorrow.

ExcaliMod

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Still 3 episodes from finishing s3 so ill avoid that click

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    I actually didn't think there was a thread for this and forever wanted to talk about it.

I am super pissed because:

The two major deaths were because the fuckwit actors were like, "HEY WE'RE BIG NOW, LET'S FUCK THIS SHOW AND TRY AND DO FILMS!" They weren't planned, and it really kinda killed the show for me. Up until then I was hooked like no tomorrow.

Both deaths were a big deal. I mean, Matthew's exit on the Christmas episode was like a punch in the stomach for most viewers since most Christmas episodes generally end on a happy note. I am looking forward to how the new season starts though since it takes place 6 months after the accident and we will be getting some new characters.

ExcaliMod

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Just finished S3. Saw it coming. This is worse then GoT in some regards

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Guess i'll give this a try since louis (suits) suggested it.