• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Irish Vagabond
    BG Level

Galaxy Note II (and its cheap knock offs)

I lost my phone (and dignity) last night, and although I'll wait awhile to see if it turns up I need to consider replacement.

I loved loved loved my Samsung Galaxy S3, thought it was the best thing since sliced bread but the Note caught my eye.

Looking at all the features and specs it seems pretty amazing, but ultimately is it worth the high cost?

Also, practically is it too big as a phone? I was perfectly content with S3, and the size increase in the note could be welcomed but I'd like to get thoughts from people who have it.

Also, when I was looking at prices google returned some knock off Notes from China for 150 bucks. I tend to err on the side of caution with that sort of merchandise, but ultimately if it is as good as the note II for 500 dollars less I'd be crazy to pass it out.

we fuckin' stole it man.
    BG Level

Re: Galaxy Note II (and its cheap knock offs)

I have the note II, and I couldn't be happier with a phone. The battery life is unlike any other smartphone I've had, and I have used many. I typically can go 2-3 days on one charge, which is mostly unheard of these days. The S pen is cool, but I typically don't use it outside of taking notes in meetings at work. The quad core processor is a beast, and 2 gigs of ram as well, but you probably already know this if you're interested in the phone. I already unlocked/rooted as well, very easy to do, running a custom Rom, but even stock is very snappy. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

I have a galaxy nexus and I love it, my brother has an S3 and he adores it. I havent heard about the note2 but Ill check it out

Irish Vagabond
    BG Level

Gah, doing more reading on it and I'm beginning to get smitten by the Note.

I dunno if i I can justify the huge cost (I'm not a US citizen so 2 year contract would be silly) and apparently there are rumours about the S4 coming out in Feb.

I guess I'm more interested in peoples opinions of the knock offs. Here is one of the links http://android-sale.com/star-s7180-5...oid-phone.html
    If I could get at least 75% of the functionality of the note for 150-200 $ I'd be happy.

Cheap Shit ends up costing a lot.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

I have the Verizon Note II. Here is an overview of it:

If you either like or don't mind the size, it's easily one of the best cell phones available now, regardless of platform, perhaps even the best. I have been trying/playing with many phones in anticipation for this phone, and it is leaps and bounds ahead of most of the competition assuming the first condition.

If you read online, people will say you will "get used to" the larger size, and this is generally true. My friends' phones that I used to think were huge compared to my old phone (Original Moto Droid) now feel comically small. I also feel no need to get a tablet due to the ease of use of the Note II (for typically tablet functions such as web browsing, or games). It can be a little unwieldy to use one-handed, but several of its function have a "1-handed-mode" to alleviate this.

The reason I bought it is because it essentially has every feature "in the book" (depending on the variant you purchase), it is rootable/flashable, and the S-pen is actually pretty useful. I didn't think I'd be using the pen much, and thought of it as an added bonus, but in reality it's pretty nice for numerous situations.

I was also fervently against Android "skins" or variants that are put out by manufactureres, such as the one the Note II uses (Touchwiz). However, the stock ROM/OS on the Note II is actually a selling point instead of a detriment. Samsung brought in many useful exclusive software features in this iteration of Touchwiz, many having to do with the S-Pen.

Lastly, I would avoid any knock offs of the Note II, you will regret it later. The reason I say this is that your phone is something that you use every single day, and a poorly constructed knock off with shitty software will only make you hate your phone and you'll end up buying something to replace it much sooner, therefore wasting money. The Note II is very well "future-proofed" as far as cell phones go, so it's something that is designed to go for the long haul.

I could go on for much longer but I'll spare you the boredom.

TL;DR: If the size and price isn't a problem, there is no substitute. Get one.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

My mom wants one of these. I went with her to look at one cause she wanted me there sense I know more about tech stuff. She has a Android X right now but the battery has been giving her problems and some guy at a store told her the X is being discontinued. (I don't know if this is true) Anyhow, it seems like a nice phone. I wouldn't have one cause of the size but that's just my own personal preference. Apps and things open up quick on it and internet browser seems like it's faster than on other smartphones I've tried. My mom ended up not getting it cause of the price. She thought they would give her some kind of trade in deal and a new contract on the phone but nope! Such a monopoly.

Quote Originally Posted by Franzer View Post
    The quad core processor is a beast, and 2 gigs of ram as well
    Whoa! It has a quad? I could have sworn the one I looked at just had a dual.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

Hijacking this thread for a question.

I want to upgrade to a new smartphone, i was thinking to buy a galaxy nexus 9250 but price is almost at 400$ same with a s2 in amazon, even a used phone of those is over 300$.

So, anyone can recommend me a smartphone with at least 1ghz cpu, that can run android 4.0, a 5.0 mp camera, a 4¨ screen and well most important price range under 270$.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Nexus 4 is only $300 new for 8GB version

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

Forgot to say, need to be an unlocked phone and i don't have access to buy in google play. ( Sorry! Devices on Google Play is not available in your country yet.)

DAKPluto

You are going to be hard to find anything decent under $270 that's unlocked. You might be better off getting somebody in a country that can buy the Nexus 4 to hook you up.

Irish Vagabond
    BG Level

Thanks for all the info, I have to say I got tempted by the Nexus 4 when I looked it up but it seems to have been out of stock for weeks with only rumours of more coming out.

I think im going to stick with a shitty phone for a little while until my finances fix themselves to pre-christmas levels. Then, I might look into Note II (although, there seems to be many models of it which seem to have different specs...which confuses me).

Speaking of shitty phones, today marks my first day of having a phone since losing my s3...using a 10 dollar flip phone is torture. The muscles in my hand were so used to having a big phone that it actually feels uncomfortable to be using it.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

Thinking to get this one: Motorola Atrix 2 4GB MB865

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...seller=&sr=1-1

Anyone have used it? I like it can be upgraded to android 4.0 oficial and price isn't as high as an S2.

Bumping Thread

Looking for a trusted site where I could get a good deal on a Galaxy S III. Been camping Newegg and Amazon, its at 24% off at the moment. It's this a decent deal, or should I be waiting for something better in the next couple months?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

its a flag ship phone. Unless you get a random flash sale from amazon do not expect to see it drop till samsung calls out its next(hell look at the damn price of the S2 still)

its one of them get lucky moments or just wait it out a little longer.