Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Taisaijin
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I never played XII so I don't really have an opinion on Vaan but for me Lightning is the character I dislike the most of the FFs I've played.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm with the "surprised lightning was voted" group. I personally very much like her.

Regarding why she was a jerk/tough ass, somewhere in Chapter 6 when she's alone with Hope she explains her mother died, so she had to become strong for Serah (hence the mum-like attitude towards her, and dropping the child persona and adopting a new name, Lightning).

Not sure whether the rest of the dislike is spawning from. No one has given an explainable reason (I speed read the whole thread too!)

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Personally, I could not possibly care less about why someone acts like a sopping cunt... its not a likeable trait regardless.

Its like "I now understand why you were a cunt but... you were still a cunt."

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I forgive Lightning being a bitch for half of the game because, to me, she was just a brutally-honest badass. Plus, she fully redeemed herself.

Squall sucks (as well as FF8 as a whole) because Japanese super-powered high school students harem bullshit gets really old really fast.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    Cloud for giving birth to countless idiot fan boys for over a decade now.

I'm happy for you to say it, cuz it's fucking true

When i went to Distant World, each time they played a FF7 song, crowed, was cheering and crying, like a girl (or Sidney Crosby) to a Justin Bieber or One Direction show

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Taisaijin
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    No one has given an explainable reason (I speed read the whole thread too!)
    I just didn't care for her at all. I'm sure the monotone VA didn't help it but she felt like a pretty bland character to me (even for a FF character). The most characterization she gets is her being kind of a bitch in the beginning. She was supposed to be the "bad ass" female and I get that. XIII has another one of those; Fang who I felt was vastly superior to Lightning in terms of personality and "bad ass"ness or w/e. I'm not saying there can't be two or anything but it kind of just didn't work for me in this story and it's a little sad when she can't even be the best of her character troupe in her own game.

I also felt like Lightning added so little to the story itself that XIII could have existed without her with a nearly identical plot. If the initial trailer for XIII hadn't been her in that fancy looking cutscene battle I would think she had just been added in kind of the way Vaan supposedly had been since Snow would have more or less been the main character than. I don't really understand how they felt there was enough to this character to warrant making more games with her.

I guess it boils down to whether I find an annoying character or a plank of a character more irritating. XIII is probably the most fresh in my mind and that could be influencing my decision a bit. I also have never played XII so I've never experienced Vaan who seems to be dominating the poll atm.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Fang was indeed way better than Lightning.

But if Lightning's presence prevented Snow from being the "main character" then THANK GOD FOR LIGHTNING

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Bregor View Post

But if Lightning's presence prevented Snow from being the "main character" then THANK GOD FOR LIGHTNING
    then we got noel not sure we really won :/

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Because she wears underwear with dick holes in them?

No.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Mjd View Post
    Because she wears underwear with dick holes in them?

No.
    I hope you're being ironical.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I can't take Fang seriously because she's essentially wearing a Saree.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Re: Worse FF Main Character ever

I don't get the hate for Squall, his character had the most development in an ff for the longest. The game itself was quite fun too, up there as one of my fav in the series.

I can't decide who, because there's so many to choose from, but how bout we make a dart board miss piggy style and put all of ff13s characters on it (except sazh). Then well know who the worst character is.

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    I don't get the hate for Squall, his character had the most development in an ff for the longest. The game itself was quite fun too, up there as one of my fav in the series.

I can't decide who, because there's so many to choose from, but how bout we make a dart board miss piggy style and put all of ff13s characters on it (except sazh). Then well know who the worst character is.
    You can do way worse than the rest of the FF13 cast if you're taking into account all characters from all games. Way worse. And hate for Squall is pretty easy to understand, considering a lot of it you can just read in this thread lol

I'VE CHOSEN A TITLE FOR THE LIKES OF YOU!
    BG Level

It's funny how the "old school" FFs heros seem to have the least amount of votes, then you hit FFVII, bam! Storm of utter hatred, haha.

It's interesting to wonder just what makes certain heroes appeal to others so strongly and the opposite too.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Less exposure. Less screentime. Less things to hate on. Take your pick.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

It was before they really made use of the whole silent hero thing as a story-telling mechanic. It's a useful tool for making the average, teenage, video game playing, male player feel more in control and involved in the story as opposed to simply watching a cast act out a story. It also opens up a lot of good/evil decision-making possibilities that a chivalrous character like Tidus or Zidane would never be on the fence about (another thing voice-acting kills). They tried really hard to write the characters' lack of personality into the story itself, but it's not easy. FFVII wasn't too bad because the explanation and reveal was solid enough (post traumatic stress disorder/split personality/identity crisis/etc.). FVIII, on the other hand, was a terribad reveal and explanation (memory loss/sorcery/lulz).

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Squall succeeded where his old man failed.

And I'm not talking about stopping a sorceress.

Paging Dr. Nat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Natallon Docere
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

So I was torn between Squall and Vaan but decided to pick Vaan because I can literally not remember a single thing that he did besides stand and look pretty/half naked.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Natallon View Post
    So I was torn between Squall and Vaan but decided to pick Vaan because I can literally not remember a single thing that he did besides stand and look pretty/half naked.
    I'M CAPTAIN BASCH

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Natallon View Post
    But according to other people he totally did stuff and you're just a bandwagoner lol But seriously, fuck Vaan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast