Closed Thread
Page 9 of 77 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast

Episode 11 is a big reason why I hate anime.

Summary: "Sorry, can't plot advance. Have to preach to you."

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Yeah, the pacing leaves a lot to be desired atm. I went in expecting heart-pounding terrifying Titan-fighting action, but instead I'm getting 3 consecutive episodes of standing around talking. I'm tempted to put this on the shelf until I can marathon it and not have this be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Talint View Post
    Episode 11 is a big reason why I hate anime.

Summary: "Sorry, can't plot advance. Have to preach to you."
    Was the same in the manga so what you really hate is story? Not much to complain about other than you hate pacing.

Or maybe they should skip the buildup/setup and characterisation so people with short attention spans can see the choppy choppy.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
    Looks like MangaStream has picked up the series.

http://mangastream.com/read/attack_on_titan/39878584/1
    Ep. 46 what the fuck...

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Was the same in the manga so what you really hate is story? Not much to complain about other than you hate pacing.

Or maybe they should skip the buildup/setup and characterisation so people with short attention spans can see the choppy choppy.
    What characterization.

Spoiler: show
    Let's see:
    War is hell: Check.
    Armin is the most useless character ever, but is smart because the show told me so: Check.
    Pixis is eccentric: Check.
    Mikasa loves Eren: Check.
    Eren loves Mikasa: Check.
    Eren has a crazy super power that could be dangerous and maybe he's enemy or ally nobody knows: Check

All shit that has been established already. Several times in eleven episodes, as evidenced by the fact that the characters are constantly telling me everything they're saying, doing, or thinking.

I mean, I guess the problem could be with me. I don't deny that it's always a possibility.

...nah, my original statement is correct:

"Sorry, can't advance plot. Have to preach."

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Still enjoying the show, but the pacing has been slow for me. Nothing exciting has happened really since
    Eren's first transformation

I guess Jojo spoiled me with some shit going down every episode

I mean, I guess the problem could be with me.
    It is. From your post that is very clear.

"Sorry, can't advance plot. Have to preach."
    Yet you think this is a problem with anime when the manga does the exact same shit. So yeah, the problem is you. Or the general pacing or story of Titan. Has nothing to do with it being anime.

There's also something else you missed in your epic checklist, so clearly you're paying a lot of attention. Also, this one still thinks Armin is useless. Ok, sure.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Tajin View Post
    Ep. 46 what the fuck...
    Not sure if they plan on back filling the releases.

Hey, shit finally happened! This show is waaaaaaaaay much more interesting when things happen.

Though "And then we killed the rest" really illustrates the terrible fucking pacing this show has.

I guess I'm okay with Armin's role to bring back Eren to humanity, though it's not interesting and doesn't make the character any less annoying. At least it gives him a purpose.

I'm growing to like Jean a lot, since he's actually got, like, a character arc going and stuff. Watching his descent makes him a (if not the most) compelling character.

Attack on Hundred Acre Wood/Home Run Derby:

Hey, shit finally happened! This show is waaaaaaaaay much more interesting when things happen.
    Oh gee, it couldn't be because they built it up, set up the pins and started knocking them down, could it? Nah, I'm sure that had nothing to do with it. You'll probably say as much.

Though "And then we killed the rest" really illustrates the terrible fucking pacing this show has.

I guess I'm okay with Armin's role to bring back Eren to humanity, though it's not interesting and doesn't make the character any less annoying. At least it gives him a purpose.

I'm growing to like Jean a lot, since he's actually got, like, a character arc going and stuff. Watching his descent makes him a (if not the most) compelling character.
    Come back in like 2-3 episodes when the shiny shiny starts happening again, that way you won't have to put up with the unnecessary parts. And that's still not Armin's role, holy shit do you still not get his character?

I'll take the side of them deliberately drawing things out, if only to get more episodes out of it. If they really want to insert filler, I think a lot of us would rather see interesting titan fights. But... budget or something.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

If you're reading heavily into the plot of this show and looking for philosophy or deep meaning; you're gonna have a bad time.

The pacing is pretty stupid, and most of the time people are talking during the show it makes me not want to watch.

The show exists to watch shit get smashed. The second it turned into "Eren came back from the dead and now can bite his hand to turn into a Titan" the story was shoved in a coffin and buried. If you disagree I really have nothing to say to you, because holy shit at the mindset that would require.

When it started off as humanity struggling, and losing, against an overpowering force that would take ingenuity and intelligence to overcome I was 100% on board. Supertitanpower is a shit plot device and shit writing. Show/manga had much more potential going into it.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

It's not like his titan form is a deus ex machina in the manga. Fucker gets his ass handed to him lots of times with it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Insanecyclone View Post
    It's not like his titan form is a deus ex machina in the manga. Fucker gets his ass handed to him lots of times with it.
    This is good to know and is refreshing, the show just isn't there yet.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    This is good to know and is refreshing, the show just isn't there yet.
    Yeah I think they're having a hard time handling the show right now. Really my only complaint to it. Trost should not have taken this long to go through at all.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I still maintain that supertitanpower is a shit plot device.

Humanity engaging in a number of skirmishes / setting traps / guerrilla tactics etc etc to start to get the upper hand on the titans would have been epic. It would have, in my opinion, also given rise to much more meaningful character development.

I don't think I'll ever fully get over that point of disappointment with the show, but hey, at least it isn't SAO.

Edit: point I just thought of that now bugs me. They have cannons mounted on the wall that can point straight down. A cannon is probably the least effective anti-siege weapon when something is AT the wall. Where's the burning oil being poured down the walls? Or the pitfalls dug right at the perimeter? Or anything clever whatsoever?

Annoying.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Edit: point I just thought of that now bugs me. They have cannons mounted on the wall that can point straight down. A cannon is probably the least effective anti-siege weapon when something is AT the wall. Where's the burning oil being poured down the walls? Or the pitfalls dug right at the perimeter? Or anything clever whatsoever?

Annoying.
    Old school anti-siege tactics! The problem with the pitfalls were that the Titans were climbing out of them. And from what is described in both the anime and manga, if they aren't hit and cut through the sweet spot on the back of the neck they aren't being taken down. Hell, Eren punched a few heads off in "Titan-Mode" and still had to stomp on it's neck to stop it from moving.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of a full out guerrilla warfare-ish type production would have been a great start. It's slow but it's been a really really long time where I've seen a manga get really exciting (and maintain that) within it's first 50 chapters. Shit's gonna get very real when Operation: Rescue Eren goes full steam.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Pretty sure titan's power is from heat/steam so it wouldn't make sense to just burn them with oil, and the only way that they know so far on how to kill the titan is to cut off the back of the neck.

When it started off as humanity struggling, and losing, against an overpowering force that would take ingenuity and intelligence to overcome I was 100% on board.
    Yeah, the show is still exactly about that. What part of Eren going Titan form meant instant face-roll? They were still struggling, and still losing bit by bit. Hell, even after Eren succeeds humanity continues to struggle and lose, and the stakes get even larger. The fact Eren has this power makes it even more obvious how fucked humanity is.

Yeah, the concept was weird at first but it pans out and pays off. You can judge it for what it is now (which is still really good), give up on it or just suck it up and keep watching. The series still has a lot of potential (that you can't see it is irrelevant), lots of interesting areas to explore. It isn't a shit plot device at all, you just haven't seen how they use it yet.

But sure, ignorance harder.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Honestly, you can cry "ignorance harder" and what have you, but at the end of the day you also defended SAO.

I win.

Forever.

Edit: And I vehemently support my statement that a show which was originally presented as like "Valkyria Chronicles on Hard mode meets giants" fell into the same stupid shit that VC itself fell into (the main character girl's super OP sprint ability overwhelming any need for tactics).

The struggle between humanity and a catch-all "top of the food chain" enemy being won solely based on the ability of a single human's compromised humanity is a shit plot device. It just is, and you're wrong.

The fact that it's used more often than the day Tuesday happens during the week in anime doesn't make it less shit, either. And yeah, superheroes, vampire hunters, whatever, I know all utilize the same basic premise - it just is so much more intolerable here, I think due to the false sense of awesomeness I was lulled into in the first 6 EP.

The show would be infinitely better if Eren were dead and Misaka just led troops against the titans and won the war over like 30 years of epic battles and other lovable characters dying bravely.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 77 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast