1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 2 hours, 40 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 21 hours, 19 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 19 hours, 40 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 14 hours, 19 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Smells like Onions
    BG Level

[Hyperion] Chaos Theory- 10 years and counting!

Hello! This is Kharo Hadakkus (Bane), one of Chaos Theory's two Head Recruiters. I'll be keeping this thread up to date, and answering any questions you may have.

A little about Chaos Theory:

Who We Were

ChaosTheory originated as a linkshell on the FFXI Fairy Server, in early 2005. Over the years, we’ve had many members come and go, but there has been a core of us who have been together since (and even before) the genesis of our shell. As part of our original commitment to be a social shell in FFXI, we created two additional sister shells for those who wanted to pursue more end-game dedicated content such as Dynamis and Sky/Sea/HNMs in ChaosRising and LifeStream, respectively. We have always characterized ourselves as being a safe haven, free of elitism, with a dedication towards building community and friendships.

Who We Are

We are now an established Rank 8, active Free Company in FFXIV:ARR. We have successfully made the transition from the old into the new. Our values and desire for a strong community have not wavered in the slightest. That vision drives us in all the decisions we make during our tenure in Eorzea. We believe that community is the defining characteristic of MMO’s, and is what draws many people to play an MMO in the first place. Built upon that, our Free Company strives to accomplish all facets the game has to offer, while never losing our grip on community. What this means is that instead of being an end game Free Company, we are a social Company that does end game. Whatever facets of the game people have interest in, if we have the resources to accomplish it, and the infrastructure to support it, we will attempt it.

Our measure of success is how strong of a community we have been able to build, not the amount of elite gear our members have. We have no interest in focusing on being a hardcore end game Company that excludes other members who would rather focus on another aspect of the game. That’s not to say we don’t do end game. On the contrary, when the interest is there, we supply a framework, and a system under which a portion of our Free Company can regularly participate. We simply mean that end game is not an exclusionary characteristic of our Company's vision.

We believe that if we focus on community, the gear will come. If we focus on community, we will all be able to achieve our goals. If we focus on community, the dungeons will be beaten; the extreme primals will be ours. But we will never actively seek fame in Eorzea by becoming obsessed with getting the best time in a dungeon, or by being obsessed with gear, or being obsessed with leveling and rush to end game. If we focus on community, when we embark upon new adventures in Eorzea, it will be with FRIENDS, not STRANGERS.

Come join us, and make our family... yours!

Chaos Theory is a family-friendly FC, so we do have some rules. They may seem overwhelming or excessive at first, but in practice, they're not hard to stick to at all. Our Charter outlines them fairly concisely. We do require that applicants review and agree to the Charter.

But enough about that! Let's get to the deets! Chaos Theory is a rank 8 FC of ~150 active members (inactive members are purged- but always welcome to rejoin!). We are active pretty much 'round the clock, though our peak activity lines up with U.S. prime-time. We own a Medium estate in Lavender Beds (Ward 1, plot 30- feel free to come check it out and chat with people!) We currently have 4 statics running current end-game content, with another 2-3 winding up, sorting out schedules, etc. We also have several groups who meet to do older content for farming, getting missed clears, and helping new people. We have a TeamSpeak server available to members, with active administration (so you can get channels made, passwords put on, etc)
    Our Website (APPLY HERE)

Our Newsletter

Original post recruiting for 1.0 beta:
    Spoiler: show
    looking for members to fill out our shell for ffxiv, we are a social shell atm, gathering players from ffxi and other games, that used to be members of our end game ffxi shells.

we currently have about 20 active members and looking at filling our shell with anyone that wants to join a family like atmosphere.

weve been around a long time, and are gearing up for ffxiv beta and offical launch.

please check out our website: http://chaostheoryffxiv.enjin.com/ if your interested in joining us.

Thanks
    Trojanweed.

p.s we are going to be playing in a north american localized server, once the servers are announced we will pick which one we are going to use.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Yes! Yes! If you are looking for a new place to call home, come check us out.

One thing I'd like to add to TW's thread here is that the reason we've all played together for as long as we have is that there are some real quality people in this shell who put helping each other out and having fun ahead of the any sort of elitist "I've got better gear than you" sort of mentality. It makes gaming such an awesome experience to play with others who are laid back, and aren't going to flame you for putting RL ahead of the game. It's totally spoiled me from playing any other single player games lol. It's too lonely...

Simply put, we love final fantasy, and are eager to share that experience with anyone else who loves it too. Come and apply!

10 years and counting - and neither of you have ever posted on BG? Wth were you doing on XI, or are these new accounts after old ones getting banned? =_O

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

They haven't... but I have! Confirming that CT is legit and awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by SodRansom View Post
    ... and aren't going to flame you for putting RL ahead of the game.
    Probably the most important part to me. People say this, but rarely follow through with it. Compressed work week schedules and overtime ( when it is available to take ) make a regular play schedule difficult for me to pin down.

Something of note about your app form - I haven't heard any news but the assumption / rumor mill last I checked was that we'd probably get a chance to rename our characters. For those who had characters in 1.0, they may or may not be the same name in 2.0. I know I would like to change my character's name if we're given the opportunity.

Formerly known as Arcknight.
    BG Level

nvm

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kryssan View Post
    Probably the most important part to me. People say this, but rarely follow through with it. Compressed work week schedules and overtime ( when it is available to take ) make a regular play schedule difficult for me to pin down.

Something of note about your app form - I haven't heard any news but the assumption / rumor mill last I checked was that we'd probably get a chance to rename our characters. For those who had characters in 1.0, they may or may not be the same name in 2.0. I know I would like to change my character's name if we're given the opportunity.
    Yeah, definitely hear ya on taking work when you can get it. I used to be a musician (and therefore waiter) when I first started playing with these guys, and my schedule was completely different each week. Now I've got a more steady job, but we have two kids, so needless to say, the schedule will still be whacked lol. I think a lot of the people in this shell are in that same boat, with kids and careers and all that.

As far as the name goes, I think that the ffxiv name question is more whether we would have known you in 1.0 or not. It's not a problem to be renaming your character if they give us that option.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Waraji View Post
    10 years and counting - and neither of you have ever posted on BG? Wth were you doing on XI, or are these new accounts after old ones getting banned? =_O
    I have to comment on this post. What does posting on BG have to do with progression in ffxi? At least half of the people who post here are terrible, and that is being nice. I started an ls when I returned to game and all the worst people who applied had seen the post here. Knowing that BG forums exists doesn't mean shit really, just means that some people are able to come here and read strategies they would never figure out on their own and then profit from it. Seriously, probably the dumbest attempted snarky comment I have seen in awhile.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

You just called half the forum readers who will see this post "dumb". That's probably not the best way to pitch your guild...

BG has been a mecca, and really the only one, for solid strategic information on XI, and XIV to an extent, since the game's early days. I think many would feel that if they don't know you, and you're trying to recruit out of this forum, they will gloss over your thread. Reputation means a lot around here and you'd know that if you were a resident.

Just saying it like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Siatdiat View Post
    Seriously, probably the dumbest attempted snarky comment I have seen in awhile.
    Don't be a twit, the only thing I was attempting to accomplish is confirmation on their legitimacy, which was received with Banes post, thank you Bane.

For more in depth clarification please see my extended post:
    Spoiler: show

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

No problem. Also, I dunno who Siatdiat is. He's not one of ours, afaik. Kinda annoys me that he would start flaming in our recruitment thread, tbh.

Anyway, to get things back on track, I suppose I'll describe a bit of our history. Be warned: my memory is awful.

The CT shell, in its heyday, ran a pair of end-game linkshells. ChaosRising for Dynamis, and LifeStream for Sky/Sea/everything else. We weren't the most successful at either, tbh, but we certainly weren't failures, either. We downed Dynamis Lord at least once, possibly more, I don't remember. We downed Kirin and the other sky Gods regularly, Sea somewhat less regularly, as fewer people had access and were interested. We didn't do the HNMs unless we had nothing else planned and a window happened to be open while enough people were on. No one wanted to be awake at ridiculous hours to compete with bots.

The social shell itself, though, has surpassed FFXI and existed in WoW and FFXIV, as some of us moved from game to game. There's no pressure to do that, though, beyond the usual "Come on, it'll be fun!" I've played more MMOs than most other members, some have still only played XI. Either way, they're dear friends. The shell has a long history, before even my own membership, but like I said, my memory is awful. I'm not even going to try to explain it, because I'll get it wrong. What I do remember, though, is doing CoP missions. We started from the Promies (everything before that being easily solo/duo-able, iirc) and worked our way through Apocalypse Nigh.... for about, maybe, 40 people? I think. Sounds about right. That was some of the most fun I've had in the game, and I think a lot of the folks from CT will agree.

Anyway, just a group of good friends looking for more.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Jorildyn View Post
    You just called half the forum readers who will see this post "dumb". That's probably not the best way to pitch your guild...

BG has been a mecca, and really the only one, for solid strategic information on XI, and XIV to an extent, since the game's early days. I think many would feel that if they don't know you, and you're trying to recruit out of this forum, they will gloss over your thread. Reputation means a lot around here and you'd know that if you were a resident.

Missed my point. How many forum members have joined and either lurk, or post only asking for help? Joining bg forums doesn't mean anything. As you can see I have been a member of it for 8 years, pretty sure I am aware of the inflated egos of most people here. Pretty sure that me saying more than half the forum members aren't really good is a lowball figure. I said nothing about regular posters... Well except for pchan. Warajis post was clearly criticizing on the basis of never having posted here before, or having recently joined, and I find that pretty amusing. As far as this being a Mecca... That's debatable.

Siat is an old nigga and my ego is precisely where it should be

All this seems like a pretty solid endorsement for this LS. Good on ya.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

I hope you're being sincere. Hard to tell through text.

Anyway, I'll get things back on track- again.

Sod is pretty typical of our members. Late twenties/early thirties, adults with responsibilities, etc. We do have several members, like myself, who are younger than that, but not by terribly much. I think our youngest member is like 22-23? I'm not sure, bad memory, etc. I'm 24 (Will be 25 in 4 days). We all have pretty varied interests, aside from XI/XIV, of course. Accordingly, we also have different amounts of free-time to spend on our hobbies, and since gaming is often only one of many hobbies, we're not too concerned with how much you play. If you play all the time, great! If not, that's cool too. The same thing applies in-game. If you're interested in grouping up, you're free to do that with whoever you want. Lots of us will be up for that. If you're not really in the mood, or just don't like grouping in general, that's just as fine. Several of our members are like that, too.

Since so much of the game is up in the air right now, I don't think we have any plans set in stone, however, knowing our group, we'll probably be doing storyline stuff as a group fairly early, and branch out into end-game as soon as feasible.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Good luck to yas! Sounds like a group with a lot in common with us as well. See ya out there

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    I hope you're being sincere.
    Of course. Good luck to the LS, keep it right, keep it tight.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Jorildyn View Post

The OF destroyed whatever value these forums had for XIV. Not that there is no chance of it ever regaining importance, but that's the reality. The main difference is that here more people act as internet tough guys and take pride in the fact that they're posting here.

And if you call half the people here idiots, that may not hurt much -- certainly no one will believe that they are one of them.

Sassy Tyrant
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Falisa Asile
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Let's keep the thread on track here please and leave the discussion for the actual linkshell itself. There's plenty of other FFXIV threads to derail.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

So I'm new to Chaos Theory and I've really liked what I've seen thus far. Pretty chill atmosphere. Reason I joined so early before ARR is because I wanted to start out ARR on the right foot with an ls, so I can be on the same server as them and not have to go through the trouble of finding one in game.

I recently started a public thread about News/Rumors and anything else where I post pics or sources of news that I find about FFXIV (Old and New). Some of it is pretty interesting, other's are so old they are most likely irrelevant, but still...interesting.

I encourage people to at least view the forums, if not out right join. They are pretty good and I'd like to see even more people profess their love/anticipation for FFXIV :3 lol. And also, if you know of any news or rumors, or even good gossip, I'd love to hear it! :D

Anyways- *does moogle dance while waiting for male miqo'te* ^_^

ps: yup, this is my #1 post, but ya. I'm a professional lurker. *lurk lurk lurk* so there's a high probability it'll be my last too :3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag