View Poll Results: Worst FF main villain?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Garland - FFI

2 1.50%
  • The Emperor - FFII

3 2.26%
  • Cloud of Darkness - FFIII

17 12.78%
  • Zemus/Zeromus - FFIV

5 3.76%
  • Ex-Death - FFV

9 6.77%
  • Kefka - FFVI

7 5.26%
  • Sephiroth - FFVII

23 17.29%
  • Ultimecia - FFVIII

21 15.79%
  • Kuja - FFIX

22 16.54%
  • Sin/Jecht - FFX

25 18.80%
  • Shadow Lord - FFXI

13 9.77%
  • Vayne Solidor - FFXII

11 8.27%
  • Barthandelus - FFXIII

37 27.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst FF main villain     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I didn't play ME3 so i wouldn't know what you're referring to.. but the R=U theory doesn't really change how the story goes. it just places more meaning into the actions of certain characters. but is significant because it would mean the difference between Ultimecia being a nearly non-existent villian from the future, to one that suddenly scores full marks for character development.

the key difference to bear in mind is that unlike ME3, FFVIII was designed as a single stand-alone game without chance for add-on or expansion, nor would there need to be any whether or not you subscribe to the theory or not. i personally like R=U because it gives the entire story more meaning for me and also strengthens Ulti's character a ton - and when I look at the story with this in mind, it seems so well contained that it's really like a literary work. to me anyway.

that said, i don't think many people would agree with this position but it doesn't matter to me because it doesn't affect the outcome of the story, just their interpretation. its kinda like religion.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

mmmmmm, dat lens flare

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    I didn't play ME3 so i wouldn't know what you're referring to.. but the R=U theory doesn't really change how the story goes. it just places more meaning into the actions of certain characters. but is significant because it would mean the difference between Ultimecia being a nearly non-existent villian from the future, to one that suddenly scores full marks for character development.

the key difference to bear in mind is that unlike ME3, FFVIII was designed as a single stand-alone game without chance for add-on or expansion, nor would there need to be any whether or not you subscribe to the theory or not. i personally like R=U because it gives the entire story more meaning for me and also strengthens Ulti's character a ton - and when I look at the story with this in mind, it seems so well contained that it's really like a literary work. to me anyway.

that said, i don't think many people would agree with this position but it doesn't matter to me because it doesn't affect the outcome of the story, just their interpretation. its kinda like religion.
    IT only applies to ME3 (and doesn't change the story you get either). The point is, there are things you can twist into theories that make you happy. There's no actual solid evidence apart from just speculation (hence why it's a theory and not fact) so whether you choose to believe in that or not is your thing. But saying FFVIII is godtier because of this theory is like saying ME3 is amazing because of Indoctrination Theory.

The hard truth is that both of these games had stories/endings that sucked so bad the fans had to find something, ANYTHING, to make it better. That's all the theory tells me.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

o lol. i loved FFVIII through and through well before R=U came along. R=U just made it better for me.. so i guess it doesn't apply to me.
    either way Ultimecia is better than Xande/CoD to me lol.

and altho Necron isn't a main antagonist.. it made sense to me as a final boss. Death itself really.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    IT only applies to ME3 (and doesn't change the story you get either). The point is, there are things you can twist into theories that make you happy. There's no actual solid evidence apart from just speculation (hence why it's a theory and not fact) so whether you choose to believe in that or not is your thing. But saying FFVIII is godtier because of this theory is like saying ME3 is amazing because of Indoctrination Theory.

The hard truth is that both of these games had stories/endings that sucked so bad the fans had to find something, ANYTHING, to make it better. That's all the theory tells me.
    SE can release all the ultimania crap they want it doesn't mean they get to dictate how the player experiences and interprets the story as it's presented.

It's a plausible theory that adds a lot of depth to the story, no one gives a shit if it's canon or not, it's interesting.

gotta control my instincts and pretend
    not to be a shitposter/homophobe

BG Level

FFVIII is godtier, but R=U is not the reason for that.
    Either way Square debunked that theory long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    SE can release all the ultimania crap they want it doesn't mean they get to dictate how the player experiences and interprets the story as it's presented.

It's a plausible theory that adds a lot of depth to the story, no one gives a shit if it's canon or not, it's interesting.
    Which is exactly what IT is. It's plausible and adds depth, but it's more interesting than what was originally presented and that means there's a problem with the story.

I don't care what you believe, but it's still just a theory.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Sephiroth, since to this day I never understood his intentions. AC even made it even more confusing with the "I want to use this planet as a vessel to explore space, find a new planet, and recreate our race" crap.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    Sephiroth, since to this day I never understood his intentions. AC even made it even more confusing with the "I want to use this planet as a vessel to explore space, find a new planet, and recreate our race" crap.
    That was just an addition made in AC..

His goal was to become a god by becoming one with the planet/lifestream. He was going to give the planet such a wound that a large amount of lifestream would be needed to cure it, and he would be sitting in its center waiting to merge with it.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

^ This. Its just better to stick with the original game when thinking about stuff like that, because with every side project they tack on, they wind up screwing around with the original plot so much that it makes it worse. Sephiroth's original goal in the game made pretty good sense: open massive wound in planet, planet pours in tons of lifestream to the wound, Sephiroth waits at the center of the wound, absorbs a shit ton of lifestream (responsible from everything from magic to power sources) and become something akin to what Kefka accomplished.

The two are actually somewhat similar in terms of the power they sought to achieve. Kefka just didn't want to rule over anything; he wanted to destroy all creation once he became bored with being a God. This, in turn, was somewhat similar to Exdeath's mindset when he merged with Enuo in FFV, who was the manifestation the void: the singular obliteration of all existence and a return to nothingness.

Had sephiroth obtained the godly powers he want, its a pretty sure bet that he either would have eventually become bored with it all and destroyed everything, or would have went off to try to "meet his people", or whatever twisted version of that concept his mind would have conjured up.

Nigga should have just spent some time with his mother in the crystal cave. It makes no sense that he could effectively feel everyone, anywhere, and never found out where his biological mother was. I assume he just overrode her in his mind when he discovered all the Jenova nonsense.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

he does mention his birth mother but in the same sentences denounces her then claims for the rest of the game that Jenova is the only mother he needs (weird space mutant yay!)

Sephiroth's intentions were one of the things AC didn't fuck with really, he's just looking to perpetuate Jenova's life cycle.

(consume planet's life energy -> fly around on a chunk of previous planet's remains -> find another planet with life -> smash into it -> repeat)

He doesn't state outright that he wants to continue the Jenova cycle in VII but it's sort of the logical conclusion that he'll eventually look to other worlds. Once you absorb all of the planet's life energy there's not really be much else to do. It ties into the concept that via Sephiroth or not the life cycle of Jenova would ultimately continue any way it could.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Odin'sLaw View Post
    he does mention his birth mother but in the same sentences denounces her then claims for the rest of the game that Jenova is the only mother he needs (weird space mutant yay!)
    Bulshit, what line was that?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Yes, it might have only been in Vincent's side story that they elaborate on it. Lucrecia, a scientist who was once romantically involved with Vincent and later experimented on by Hojo, gets some backstory in VII for being Sephiroth's birth mother.

From FFwiki:

Lucrecia became romantically involved with Hojo and eventually married him. During this time, she became pregnant and agreed to use their unborn child as a test subject. Hojo injected both the pregnant Lucrecia and her fetus with Jenova cells, but the cells had an unexpected side effect; Lucrecia would have visions of her son, Sephiroth, and of the future atrocities he would commit. The visions were painful and Lucrecia often collapsed in pain, much to Vincent's despair.
    Iirc, Sephiroth found out that he had a mortal mother but he rejected her and claimed Jenova as his real mother.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

I want a direct quote from FFVII because I'm calling bullshit.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Yeah I don't remember anything about future-visions either. There's a tiny side story where you can find out about Lucretia's existence (you have to go submarining for it I think?), but I don't think she even comes up in the main plot-line. Maybe it's something from Dirge of Cerberus.

Doing Vincent's events at the crystal cave give you some flashback cutscenes, see Lucrecia, Vincent get shot, etc.

Seph never makes any mention of Lucrecia or Hojo as his biological parents, not that it has any bearing on anything.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Huh, wonder what I'm remembering then cause we do find out at some point in the game that Lucrecia is Sephiroth's biological mom, pretty sure.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Might've been Dirge of Cerberus. There were additional cutscenes revolving around Vincent in a similar manner in that game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast