+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Teacher forced to remove bible quotes from classroom

Been seeing this passed around on facebook. Probably won't get much discussion since im sure 99% of us agree with the school's decision lol.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/01/14...rom-classroom/

In one of our must-see stories of the day, one teacher is fighting back after her school told her to remove quotes from the Bible, as well as former President Ronald Reagan, from her classroom … or else she’d be fired.

New York public school teacher Joelle Silver says she received an eight-page counseling letter telling her to remove inspirational quotes because of their content. Silver also apparently had a prayer request box in her classroom for a school club, had mentioned Adam and Eve in her teachings on biology, and had posted quotes both from Corinthians about staying true to one’s self as well as from former President Reagan, in which he said, “without God, democracy cannot endure.”

Now, Silver is suing.

“I believe that my First Amendment rights were violated last June,” she told a reporter. “As a Christian and as an American, I believe it’s incredibly important to fight to protect the rights that people have died to give me.”

Jay Sekulow joined Megyn Kelly on America Live with his reaction, saying that he believes the school’s response was a complete over-statement.

“I think what’s happened here is [...] this school district is basically treating religion like it’s asbestos in the ceiling tiles,” he said

Letter she received from the school.

http://www.wivb.com/generic/news/Let...-Joelle-Silver

Theres a video from Fox news (surprise!) but I'm not sure how to link it from that site, it's in the first link though.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Separation of church and state. I have zero problems with this. She should have known better.

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Agreed. Cry freedom of speech all you want, but any type of religion should not belong in school. If you want that crap, go to christian or catholic school.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Jesus Christ the comments are amazing.

Dickless libtards has shown up about 37 times so far, people complaining about the fag agenda, muslims being something we need to fear etc etc. Fucking crazy lol

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Eurell View Post
    Jesus Christ the comments are amazing.

Dickless libtards has shown up about 37 times so far, people complaining about the fag agenda, muslims being something we need to fear etc etc. Fucking crazy lol
    It's Fox.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

There is a growing trend, especially prominent on the right, of people who think they can say or do whatever they hell they want without consequence because "Ma freedummms!!!!". If you break rules set forth by your employer and get fired then tough shit.

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Wonder what Fox's tone would be if it was a Muslim as the educator being asked to remove Koran quotes from the walls??

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Sepukku View Post
    Wonder what Fox's tone would be if it was a Muslim as the educator being asked to remove Koran quotes from the walls??
    Precisely.

but murica wasn't founded on terrorism, it was founded on freedomism

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Sorry, no violation of rights here.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

That question is actually answered in the comments. "We all know muslim/hindu/buddhist isn't a real religion"

Re: Teacher forced to remove bible quotes from classroom

All this teacher was trying to do was lessen the violence in our schools. Had a shooter appeared, the ghost of Ronald Regan would have sprang to life from his portrait, infused with the power of the holy spirit and smite any who would dare harm children while God is in school.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Can't see a problem with inspirational quotes, but I agree that using the Bible for educational purposes should not be allowed (unless, you know, it's a Biblical class). Don't agree with RR, though, so whatever, get rid of those, too I guess.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by MrDodo View Post
    All this teacher was trying to do was lessen the violence in our schools. Had a shooter appeared, the ghost of Ronald Regan would have sprang to life from his portrait, infused with the power of the holy spirit and smite any who would dare harm children while God is in school.
    Could it really be this simple?

Making her take down the Reagan poster might be a bit of a stretch, but it's pretty clear she was pushing God pretty heavily.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by GoggleHead View Post
    Making her take down the Reagan poster might be a bit of a stretch, but it's pretty clear she was pushing God pretty heavily.
    Without a doubt. The quotes she was using are not your standard religious fare. Most adults, let alone kids, don't even know those ones.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I 100% agree with making her take down that specific Reagan poster. No conscience or virtue without God? C'mon now.

Edit: I would have been fine if she had the corinthians one up, if not for all the other stuff as well.

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

It's never a problem till someone complains, then it's a lawsuit!

Can understand the religious stuff. Next we'll stop teaching children American History because just about every famous line in that era is quoted with some type of religious view in the backdrop.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephlite View Post
    Next we'll stop teaching children American History because just about every famous line in that era is quoted with some type of religious view in the backdrop.
    Bible stories do not for historical facts make.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Prosletyzing ftl. Take that shit to Sunday school.