+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

I'd like to see the way score is done changed personally. Killing players while you take an objective should be part of the equation in some way. Like if you take a keep that's been fought over for hours and hours, with hundreds of enemies killed in the area, that keep is worth more points than one where you simply walked in and took it with zero resistance.

Atm the game rewards you for taking objectives quickly and without fighting. The longer you spend fighting the enemy, that's time you could have spent getting points in other areas... It's a backwards mentality towards RvR and it should be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyis. View Post
    I'd like to see the way score is done changed personally. Killing players while you take an objective should be part of the equation in some way. Like if you take a keep that's been fought over for hours and hours, with hundreds of enemies killed in the area, that keep is worth more points than one where you simply walked in and took it with zero resistance.

Atm the game rewards you for taking objectives quickly and without fighting. The longer you spend fighting the enemy, that's time you could have spent getting points in other areas... It's a backwards mentality towards RvR and it should be changed.
    You do get awarded 1 point per player killed in WvW atm, 5 for Dolyaks etc.

BG Level

I'm pretty much positive you don't get points for killing players. Dolyak points change based on how long they've been left alive, as do sentries. Those numbers can range from 1 to lord knows what. I've seen a sentry give 20 points before.

That wasn't what I was talking about anyway. I'm talking about raising objective based potential points based on the amount of kills done within the area when it was captured. A +5 supply camp becoming +10 or +15 every round, until lost. Since that is how the major points of the game are gained atm, it seems logical to play with how that part is done.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kirby Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

We at JQ got VAL recently. I forgot which server they came from but they are a SG guild.

VotF is kind of annoying, they're filling in SoS's oceanic time right before JQ's crew comes in, had a really hard time defending last night against their 50+ strong zerg.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyis. View Post
    That wasn't what I was talking about anyway. I'm talking about raising objective based potential points based on the amount of kills done within the area when it was captured. A +5 supply camp becoming +10 or +15 every round, until lost. Since that is how the major points of the game are gained atm, it seems logical to play with how that part is done.
    This has been discussed before. But more in terms of "time based" systems where the longer a point was controlled the more worth it has. It has also been discussed that the more upgrades an objective has, the more it is worth. I do not believe that either of these issues solves the overall issue of scoring in WvW. We need a system that emphasizes the current makeup of the matches (in any given moment) instead of the 7day match score.

BG Level

Time based would only help the team that's murdering the losing servers. If your server has 8 hours of the day in which they have no coverage at all, that's going to only strengthen the team that doesn't need a help in points. Terrible idea. At least with mine if you lose something to another server, and it was in a massive battle with a mound of corpses, the point gain is happening because of actual fighting. And not some time difference thing.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Early on there was a quite indepth theory on the time suggestion that would have it actually somewhat balance over the coverage issues. I dont remember how the proposal would have worked but it seemed to actually counter the lack of coverage issues. I think that would actually lead to more issues when combined with 2 teams with or without coverage versus one team with opposite.

I am actually more hoping that they remove the ability to see the week long score and focus players on the "here and now" moment to moment WvW play. This is what is fun. We can only hope that they live up to their promise to emphasize WvW play post the 50kill Monthly and give us a true rank/ladder system along with WvW dailies that are meaningful and rewarding. In order to get players to enjoy WvW routinely and not bolting from WvW the second they see their server is at a severe disadvantage.

On a separate note, do we have an update on major server transfers and overall health of the WvW community on servers? My friends and I are currently extremely worried about our server and are looking for some information in order to make an informed choice before the end of the weekend.

BG Level

All I know is Maguuma gained a heap of people and nobody is happy about it.

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

In case you guys missed it: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...oading-changes

Spoiler: show

In the January update we’ll be making a couple of preliminary changes to WvW.
    1. The first of our engine changes will be coming on line to help improve character load times by using fallback models.
    2. We’ll be switching over to the culling methodology that we trialed in December.

The engine change we’re making uses fallback models to represent characters until their detailed models are fully loaded. The fallback models are cached so that they can display without any asset load delay and there is a distinct fallback model for each race/gender/armor-class combination. As a result of this change players will be able to see characters represented as fallback models as soon as those characters are reported to the client. Once the specific, detailed model for a given character is completely loaded from disk the fallback model will be replaced with the detailed model. This visual compromise will help to ensure that players see other characters as quickly as possible in WvW. Please note that this change does not eliminate delays due to culling, it only addresses delays due to asset load times. Players on higher spec machines would therefore expect to see fallback models less often than players on lower spec machines. This change also lays the groundwork for more extensive uses of fallback models in future updates.

In December we ran a one matchup trial of an updated culling system. Based on all the feedback we received, both during and after the trial, we will be transitioning to the updated culling system that we used in the trial. This update allows the culling system to handle allies and enemies separately so that being surrounded by a group of allies will not impact the culling of enemies (and vice-versa). The general consensus after the trial is that this system lead to a better player experience in WvW. We further saw that some of the issues people had with the new system were related to asset load times rather than culling issues so making this change in combination with our character loading improvements should lead to an improved overall experience. It is important to note, however, that while we believe this change is an improvement to the WvW experience it does not fully address the issues with culling and we are still working towards our goal of removing culling from WvW completely. This change is intended to give players an improved WvW experience while we continue work on our more comprehensive solution.

While this update only contains a couple of visible changes to WvW it lays a lot of important groundwork for future updates. We have some exciting changes coming and this update is just the beginning!
    Hi all, I think a little more explanation is in order.

First, let’s call the culling system that we’re switching to “affinity culling” just to make it easier to talk about. Under affinity culling the system handles enemies and allies independently. This means that the maximum number of allies that you can see under affinity culling is 1/2 the maximum number of characters (combined enemy & ally) that you could see under the original culling. Ditto for enemies. In exchange for that cost he benefit that we get is that running with (or through, or past) a large group of allies (e.g. a guild) won’t prevent you from seeing the enemies who are closest to you.

During the initial trial of affinity culling we found that a number of players reported asset loading issues that were highlighted by culling. Any time that your client is aware of another character at all (dot on the map, targetable in world, nameplate is visible, etc.) then culling is no longer a factor because that character has already been reported to your client. In that case if you can’t see the character the issue is one of asset load time. The fallback model feature which is shipping this month directly addresses those issues by providing a cached model to show immediately when the character is reported to the client.

The order of operations looks like this:
    1) Character X enters player’s visibility
    2) <delay due to the mechanics of culling>
    3) Server reports character X to client
    4) <delay due to asset load time>
    5) Character X full model is visible on-screen to the player

Using fallback models we end up with this instead
    1) Character X enters player’s visibility
    2) <delay due to the mechanics of culling>
    3) Server reports character X to client
    4a) Character X fallback model is visible on-screen to the player
    4b) <delay due to asset load time>
    5) Character X full model is visible on-screen to the player

As you can see we’ve made the asset load delay unimportant (or at least less important) and allowed the player to be aware of character X sooner (in some cases quite a bit sooner).

The combination of affinity culling and fallback models provides a better experience than affinity culling alone. Even so, the affinity culling is not intended to be our last change to the system, but rather to hold players over until we can make more extensive updates to the system (which take time to implement and test). In future updates we’ll be making changes in an effort to eliminate the delay due to culling (step 2 above) and to tell each client about character X as soon as the server decides they have become visible again. We hope to do this by removing culling completely and preserving client performance though a mix of network and engine optimizations, the more extensive use of fallback models, and sundry wizardry.

As I’ve said in the past our ultimate goal is to remove culling and we’re pushing hard to make that happen. This update represents the first steps in that direction and much of what it accomplishes is to lay the groundwork for our upcoming updates. The next few months are an exciting time for us on the WvW team and we’re very excited about the changes are coming.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by niwaar View Post
    On a separate note, do we have an update on major server transfers and overall health of the WvW community on servers? My friends and I are currently extremely worried about our server and are looking for some information in order to make an informed choice before the end of the weekend.
    edit: if anybody read what I wrote previously, I was completely wrong because I just remembered... there actually was mention, today, of a CD NA guild possibly coming to SoS but I'm not quite sure on the size or who they even are. If they are small then you most likely do not have to worry, they will not cause a chain reaction. I don't know what happened with the previous Singaporean guild/s I mentioned. Also have to mention, what we outsiders (to CD) hear are probably from a single source. So if we hear "falling apart" from him/her its probably more like "there was some arguing and debate." ex: Clementine said JQ and SoS were falling apart in whatever that podcast is she does, before she moved to JQ. I'll keep you posted though, we probably have the best rumor mill on our server out of all of them.

Also JQ got a new guild, all I heard was "shanghai" so idk if that is the name of the guild, where they are from, or what.

Tonight is probably the deadline for any major guild transfers to the top tier (unless for whatever fucking reason SoS and JQ stay Very High). Any big changes after tonight (40+ active man guilds) will be in the lower tiers.

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

If you want some drama btw, learn german and come to Elona's Reach:

We've been dealing here with FFXI worthy drama for the past two weeks. I'm sure every server has those random groups who rather play PvE in WvW than PvP. That's fine and all, we managed to live side by side. Until a certain attention whore PvE commander decided, that she doesn't get enough attention anymore. Thus she started to take parked golems and destroys them on Quaggans. Empties towers + keeps + SM to build rams on every single wall, which cockblocked building any rams on EB because the cap was reached, multiple times.

That escalated quickly onto the forums, which resulted in three first heavy modded, then closed threads. As these kept popping up, a CC moderator decides that one of them has to stay open. Everyone calms and basically just wants to know, how to report griefplay and if it is against the user agreement. That continues calmy until said PvE commander appears on the forums and lies her ass off. In short: "I just want to play my way, didn't know there are caps, we all should be friends" while at the same time, she admits ingame in teamchat that she's doing it on purpose for revenge.

All hell breaks loose. Thread gets temporarily closed and cleaned multiple times until the official German Community Manager steps in. Says they're observing the situation but has to look at it from a objectiv point of view. Like, how you could prevent such play generally etc. Thread slows down around 10 pages and 500 replies. Until an hour ago when the GCM returns with a lengthy post about how he has been playing wht both sides during this week. A lenghty post that says nothing else than "be tolerant and play nice, because if you don't, everyone suffers from the hatred WvW community".

Said PvE commander already announced to do her best to keep every keep empty, once we enter T1 tonight. On the other side, I got PMs about organizing a guerilla group to gank her nonstop from another server. It's hilarious.

chat says: "...everyone has to decide that for himself, but building (them) is allowed"

this is why women shouldnt play vidya

BG Level

Say word son.

Some Germans just want to watch the world vs world burn.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Master race, baby.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Amazing

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Update on Crystal Desert:
    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/.../#entry2149651
    Crystal desert is falling apart, Rise left first, and many of the other wvw guilds followed. My guild is more or less all that is left, and we are also planning on leaving as well because the server is dying (at least wvw wise)
    Still need to catch the SoS rumor mill online to verify where some of these guilds went, you guys had more than 1 and "many other wvw guilds." Though judging by the score this week it may be true.

Also this link confirms there was a lot of people transferring out: http://crystal-desert.com/forum/inde...rs-in-wvw.144/
    and this one: http://crystal-desert.com/forum/inde...r-staying.136/

And it told me where LaZy moved from, I thought it was CD...

Long story short, there were guilds that left, oceanic/asian as well as NA. But there are also guilds that are staying.

Edit:
    This is the list we have come up with so far:
    VaL - oceanic/asian - went to JQ
    LaZy - went to BG
    eSb
    KH
    TG
    DOLY
    Rise
    GoF - went to BG
    LW- went to BG

I dont know what timezones those guilds are or where they went.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

If you were to move where would you go? Knowing that we are a PvE group that just wants a strong WvW contingent to back us up by scoring points. With the occasional trek into WvW.

PRX is attracting a lot of people over to JQ for whatever reason, personally I don't see SoS consistently losing (if they do lose) even with all of JQ's recent transfers. If BG is smart and they fight for #2, JQ will have too much pressure to really do what they did last week (catch up when SoS is coasting). BG is also completely capable of coming in 2nd place in T1, they just need to focus on it because they simply won't place 1st.

T1 is pretty fun WvW wise, so if all you're going to do is go out with 5 people and zerg or hit Dolyak's, it makes a big difference if it fits with the current plan.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by niwaar View Post
    If you were to move where would you go? Knowing that we are a PvE group that just wants a strong WvW contingent to back us up by scoring points. With the occasional trek into WvW.
    SoS, JQ, BG, SoR, or TC

SoS and JQ because they are guaranteed to do well in WvW, they also have a lot of players outside that for PvE
    BG because they need more players for WvW (if you dont want to take the gamble I understand though)
    SoR has a huge NA population and they do well in WvW regardless of the score, dudes always come out there
    TC also has a huge NA population, wouldn't let the RP "tag" fool you, most of that population is probably normal players who just want a nonhostile environment

also found out where LW and GoF went, BG. So changed that and added to OP.