• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Pandemonium
    BG Level

Opinions on two classes. Cisco vs Penetration testing.

So right now for Spring 2013 i'm signed up for Active Directory course and Hardening the Network Infrastructure which will graduate me. I have been trying to find an internship to get some work experience, as my classes are all night courses, but have not landed one yet. Got an email today from the head of my cyber team about a course being offered in cyber forensics which is described as this:

This course will be taught in a state-of-the-art computer lab that includes wired and wireless devices chosen for real-world application, such as iPhones and the Nintendo Wii. Students will conduct a live penetration test and perform ethical hacking against a network infrastructure that is modeled similar to a small to medium sized business. This infrastructure consists of computers running Microsoft Windows, variants of Linux, and Apple Macintosh operating systems." Once students gain access to the fictional corporation, they will entrench themselves further and be tasked to move laterally through the company network. Students will be required to document both their successful and unsuccessful attempts to gain unfettered access to the company’s network.
    Its an interesting course idea but i'm not sure how much it will help out my resume. And while I would take it if I had the time/money, i'm only thinking about starting my career now and what is most beneficial. There is also a CISCO course being offered which is:

The focus of this course is on routing and routing protocols. The goal is to develop an understanding of how a router learns about remote networks and determines the best path to those networks. The hands-on labs and virtual lab activities used in this course are designed to help the student develop an understanding of how to configure routing operations while reinforcing the concepts learned.
    Anyone have a take on either of these courses and how they might help pad my resume for Network Engineering A.A.S. Or should I just concentrate more on trying to find an internship and hope I can land one. I do have a gig helping out in the lab this coming semester to get a little work experience but I dont think it will be enough.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Pretty simple.
    The focus of this course is on routing and routing protocols. The goal is to develop an understanding of how a router learns about remote networks and determines the best path to those networks. The hands-on labs and virtual lab activities used in this course are designed to help the student develop an understanding of how to configure routing operations while reinforcing the concepts learned.
    Do you know how to do what's stated? Are you confident in all things cisco routing and such?

If yes, take the hacking course.
    If no, take the cisco course.

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I would take the Cisco class strictly because it will help you take a CCNA/CCNP certification in the future. You'll need these certifications if you plan on working for any larger companies as a network administrator.

Also, Cisco Networking Academy will give you a discount on your first time taking any Cisco certification tests for being a student.

Pandemonium
    BG Level

Yeah I was leaning more towards the Cisco, though I need to get approval for skipping the intro cisco course which is just basically Networking Fundamentals. I want to play with the devices hands on, while i know I can learn all the penetration testing shit and set up my own virtual lab in Virtualbox/VMware and fuck around in there on my own time easily enough.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mist Monster
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

To be a good pin tester, you need to know TCPIP inside and out, all levels of the OSI model, routing, switching, vlans, other protocols, need to be able to decipher packet captures and also know how firewalls work. Then you really need to understand various code. All this depends on what you are pin testing. The Cisco course will give you the groundwork for this (though probably won't help much with firewall/packet captures). But if you think you got that covered pin testing a fun, although highly specialized, skill set. I had the Cisco knowledge plus 10 years on firewalls before I got into pin testing, I'm still weak on the code side, but not sure how I would have done without working in networks for so many years before hand.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

No one made a penetration joke? I am disappoint.

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Yeah I was leaning more towards the Cisco, though I need to get approval for skipping the intro cisco course which is just basically Networking Fundamentals. I want to play with the devices hands on, while i know I can learn all the penetration testing shit and set up my own virtual lab in Virtualbox/VMware and fuck around in there on my own time easily enough.
    You will play with all kinds of Cisco devices in Network Fundamentals, via either Packet Tracer or whatever equipment your school has. Getting a core understanding of how everything works in the Cisco universe is key to your success in the future. (As mistmonster said above)

Pandemonium
    BG Level

So I might end up taking both now, just got an email from one professor saying that if 1-2 ppl dont sign up for the Active Directory course it's gonna get cancelled... fuck.

You will play with all kinds of Cisco devices in Network Fundamentals
    Not at this college you dont! It was just a prep class for Network+ basically. I know a guy who took the Cisco version too and he said it's mostly theory, but the 282 course is actually hands on which is why I dont want to take the intro course, I already know the basics well enough.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Sorry for the Bump, i'm looking for some online books or sites, to learn about more about security, proxy, reverse proxy advanced firewall etc.

Learned alot about cisco windows linux latly, and i think my next step should be security

Thanks

can't shot spam
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Fizzcrank

Is Cisco Windows Linux a new distro I don't know about?

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Derock View Post
    Yes. It's only available in Canada.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Canaduh

can't shot spam
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Fizzcrank

Quote Originally Posted by xerodok View Post
    Yes. It's only available in Canada.
    Well I hope its not only in French too, otherwise there might be some translation errors.

Pandemonium
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Derock View Post
    You arnt hipster enough to know about it.