+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 70 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stanislaw Ziolkowski
    FFXIV Server
    Durandal

North Korean Sabre Rattling 2013 We Nuclear Baby!

It's that time of year again.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...lear-rocket-us

North Korea plans nuclear test and says rocket programme is targeted at US

Long-range rockets and proposed 'high-level nuclear test' are targeted at 'arch-enemy of the Korean people', Pyongyang says

Link to video: North Korea rocket tests to target United States

-

North Korea has responded to tighter UN sanctions with a threat to conduct another nuclear test the regime said would target its greatest enemy, the US.

The country's powerful national defence commission poured scorn on Tuesday's UN security council resolution condemning the launch last month of a long-range rocket, and the decision to expand sanctions against the already impoverished state.

The North insists the launch was part of its peaceful space programme, but the US and its allies believe the purpose was to test its ballistic missile technology.

On Thursday, the regime appeared to confirm those suspicions when it said its rocket programme had a second, military purpose: to target and strike the US.

The commission, North Korea's most powerful military body, said the rocket launches would continue and warned the country would conduct a third, "high-level" nuclear test.

"We are not disguising the fact that the various satellites and long-range rockets we will launch, as well as the high-level nuclear test we will carry out, are targeted at the United States, the arch-enemy of the Korean people," the commission said in a statement carried by the official Central Korean News Agency. "Settling accounts with the US needs to be done with force, not with words."

The statement did not say when the test, which would be the first under the current leader, Kim Jong-un, would take place. Analysts said it could happen in mid-February, just before South Korea's new president, Park Geun-hye, is sworn into office and the North marks the birthday of its previous leader, Kim Jong-il.

Daniel Pinkston, deputy director of the International Crisis Group's north Asia programme, said Pyongyang's justification for its weapons programme had always been "dealing with the imperialist Americans". He added: "It's serious and I would expect them to do a nuclear and more missile tests."

North Korea conducted its previous nuclear tests in 2006 and 2009, soon after the UN imposed sanctions in response to rocket launches. Any progress the North makes in its missile and nuclear programmes is a cause for concern, although it is thought to be some way off having the ability to produce a nuclear warhead small enough to mount on a reliable long-range missile.

North Korea has enough plutonium to build between four and eight nuclear weapons, according to Siegfried Hecker, a nuclear scientist who visited the country's main Yongbyon nuclear complex in 2010. Other reports suggest the country has enough fissile material for about a dozen plutonium warheads.

The previous year, the regime said it would begin enriching uranium, giving it another means of building a nuclear arsenal.

It is not clear what the defence commission meant by "high level", but there is speculation the next test could involve a uranium, rather than plutonium, device. That would signal that the regime's scientists have mastered the complicated process of producing highly enriched uranium.

The threat coincided with a visit to South Korea by the US's special envoy on North Korea, Glyn Davies, who called on Pyongyang to abandon plans for the test.

"Whether North Korea tests or not, it's up to North Korea," Davies said. "We hope they don't do it, we call on them not to do it. It would be a mistake and a missed opportunity if they were to do it. This is not a moment to increase tensions on the Korean peninsula."

China, the North's only diplomatic ally and its biggest trading partner, is likely to have angered Pyongyang by backing this week's UN resolution. China's foreign ministry on Thursday called on all parties in the region to "refrain from action that might escalate the situation".

"We hope the relevant party can remain calm and act and speak in a cautious and prudent way and not take any steps which may further worsen the situation," ministry spokesman Hong Lei told reporters in Beijing.

Scholar Wang Junsheng, an expert on Korean issues at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, told the Global Times newspaper: "By passing the resolution China was warning North Korea … and by blocking more sanctions China was telling North Korea to return to the right track, the six-party talks."

Wi Yong-seop, a South Korean defence ministry spokesman, said the North could conduct a test "at any time if its leadership decides to go ahead".

Experts in the US recently said the North's main nuclear test site had been repaired after recent heavy rain, adding that preparations for a test could take just two weeks.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Yanno, it would suck and all but part of me kinda wishes that NK was even half as menacing as they make themselves out to me.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I wish that something would go awry so that we could just glass 'em.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango View Post
    Mother fucker ain't you never played Homefront?! That shit's based on real life!!!

Anti-crusade crusader
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

You know when I hear North Korea calling the US it's "arch-enemy," I get the feeling that the US doesn't feel the same way.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. For me, it was Tuesday."

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    Mother fucker ain't you never played Homefront?! That shit's based on real life!!!
    lol YEAHHHHHHHH!

Quote Originally Posted by noblemountain View Post
    "For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. For me, it was Tuesday."
    Brofist

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango View Post
    Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll glass themselves with their test nukes.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I can see 4chan's response already. "OH THE HUMANITY AND THE LULZ"

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by TacoTaru View Post
    Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll glass themselves with their test nukes.
    Wouldn't take much luck. Didn't one of their previous "long-range rocket tests" end up with the rocket falling apart or some shit?

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah, but their country isn't very big. Likely they'd end up taking out S Korea or Japan with them.

King of the Jews
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

What the fuck, North Korea? Why do they think anyone is intimidated by them? Its not like we can wipe them off the face of the earth or anything.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Aurara View Post
    What the fuck, North Korea? Why do they think anyone is intimidated by them? Its not like we can wipe them off the face of the earth or anything.
    Not without S. Korea getting severely fucked up in the process though.

King of the Jews
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Well yeah, that really is the reason that they can get away with this type of behavior, because they know we aren't going to glass them because it will devastate S.Korea and we don't want to do that.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Just wait for a day a strong wind is blowing northwest and we can have all the fallout hit China?

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

North Korean Sabre Rattling 2013

Sounds more like they're out of food again.

Perfect.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnus View Post
    Just wait for a day a strong wind is blowing northwest and we can have all the fallout hit China?
    The fallout is only a small part of the problem. They have enough artillery sitting at the border pointed right at Seoul that anything we did they could fire and blow up 20 million people before we could do anything about it.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The fallout is only a small part of the problem. They have enough artillery sitting at the border pointed right at Seoul that anything we did they could fire and blow up 20 million people before we could do anything about it.
    The solution is obvious.

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/ima...gan_Shield.png

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    The solution is obvious.
    >>implying the s. koreans don't already have that shit

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 70 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size