Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

BG Auto: GFs 96 EX civic can't shift out of park unless overridden + bad idling while in Drive.

Sorry for this being a tl;dr, but i would like to give a little backstory to this gem of a civic. My gf purchased a 96 2dr EX civic with 160k miles from a friend of my dad's for a sweet price, however it needed a few repairs (replaced IAC, replaced A/C blower motor, new rear brakes). After that, the car drove marvelously, like it felt like it came straight from the dealer brand new in 1996.

Ok so as the title states, my girlfriend's 96 2dr EX auto is not shifting out of park unless of course i stick a key in the shift lock to override it and it'll allow me to move it, i looked around for solutions such as checking the brake lights, horn fuse, and everything is checking out correctly. I took apart the center console completely to see what was going on and no avail, i cannot figure it out. The car only shifts out of park when i press the shift lock button, of course it's an extra annoying step that she has to do now, put the key in the shift lock override, shift to neutral then turn on the car. This is actually one problem which is now leading to another problem and thus another reason why i'm in desperate need of help please!!

Besides not being able to shift out of park the normal way, when i shift it to drive, and depress the brake, the car accelerates itself pretty abnormally without touching the gas, car throttles to about 15-20 mph (I drive a stick shift, but sure know an automatic doesn't go that fast when you don't touch anything in drive). So this leads to another bothersome part, i was driving the car to test it out personally, and the car doesn't shift out of 1st gear until it goes to about 4.5k RPM. So all of this is bothering the hell out of me, now the car's just sitting in the parking spot at our apartment complex, planning to take it to a mechanic asap, but it is the weekend unfortunately, so i came to ask for help.

Once again i'm sorry for the tl;dr, but this is an extremely worrisome issue for me. Thank you guys in advance!

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Transmission is on it's last leg. Look for a replacement or repair center.

Sounds like you need to replace the brake switch.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by scrockstar View Post
    Sounds like you need to replace the brake switch.
    Likely fix for the park problem, but worse problem seems to be the higher than normal launch speed and the shifting @ 4500 rpm which will cause higher wear to an already damage tranny. Does it go into second or skip to 3rd? There might be more than one failure that will be difficult to diagnose over the internet.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

If you leave it in park, what RPM does it idle at?
    If you have it in gear and are at a stop, what RPM does it idle at?

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

@FNH: i've found out the tranny actually does not skip, i was driving after overriding the shift lock, i was being fooled cuz of the higher than normal launch speed, the car shifts normally how it is supposed to. Which goes to @Kooldachio: after the engine warming up, in park it idles at 2k RPM, and on Drive on a stop it idles at 1.5k RPM.

My assumption now is the throttle body is idling high, my dad and i tightened the throttle cable but not to the point where the cable's opening the throttle. Like i said earlier, i doubt it's the new IAC, however tomorrow i'm taking the car to my parents since i can work on it there due to my apt complex association rules.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Yeah that's idling way way way too high. You said you tried tightening the throttle cable, did you try loosening it to see if the RPMs dropped? I've seen people adjust them way too high, resulting in a high idle. Also test your IAC, I know you just replaced it but they're a common problem for those Hondas and you could have gotten one that went bad early.

As for the park problem, try replacing the brake switch as noted earlier in the thread, that's normally the culprit.