Closed Thread
Page 2 of 236 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Implying no one else sells used games. Ive found many reasonably priced used games on amazon in the past.
    Yup. Online is where anybody should buy used games.

If they would sell games that have been out for a few months for half price I'd buy new, but fuck buying old games for full price...

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Article from today: http://bgr.com/2013/02/06/xbox-720-u...locked-320393/

Might be more evidence, or just more speculation..

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

its just more speculation.

there will always be places to buy used, and without people will go the other way. if they both tried then people will just go more towards cheaper alternatives, tablet/mobile gaming is already highly on the rise.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    I never buy used games, but used games are such a rip off to begin w/. You buy a game for 60$, get maybe 30$ back if your lucky... they resell it for 55$. its such a terrible deal for ppl buying used games and only makes gamestop richer. Regardless, if both systems do it then its suicide to no company
    Don't buy/sell at gamestop? Outside of fighting games I bought around launch date, I havn't paid more than $15 inc. shipping on anything this generation.

Quote Originally Posted by samalis View Post
    Why can PC get away with no used games? Probably a retarded question but if someone could explain.

If consoles went the way of PC games wouldn't it just lead to more online sales for new games?
    PC game prices generally drop fast enough that they would be competitive with used prices anyway, not to mention steam sales. Plus, when you buy a game on PC via steam or pretty much anyone nowadays, you have it for keeps, regardless of the system you're using, without needing to worry about wear and tear on physical media/hardware, one time restorals, the console being phased out, etc.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Quote Originally Posted by samalis View Post
    Why can PC get away with no used games? Probably a retarded question but if someone could explain.

If consoles went the way of PC games wouldn't it just lead to more online sales for new games?
    PC games are also marked way down. >.>;

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Guarantee that if either 720 or ps4 blocks used games that the other will do the same. All it does is help the companies that make games for their systems

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

then a class action lawsuit about monopolies would come up about them conspiring together against consumer interests or the like

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

From a business stand point, the devs. are losing a crap load of money thanks to Gamestop. That fucking place is like a cancer of the gaming industry, but everybody knows that. On the other, it's always better to give costumers options. Perhaps changing the way content is delivered would be a better alternative and thus removing the middle man. The devs/pubs get more money, people have options, we all win. Of course, it's easier said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by izembo View Post
    (...)

if they both tried then people will just go more towards cheaper alternatives, tablet/mobile gaming is already highly on the rise.
    I find it hard to believe those who play AAA titles would opt for flash games.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

An always on internet connection is far worse than blocking used games. I would wager 25-30%(this is a bullshit out of the air estimate, no facts behind it) of modern consoles in America rarely go online.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by izembo View Post
    then a class action lawsuit about monopolies would come up about them conspiring together against consumer interests or the like
    lolno. Its protecting their own interests as companies; and there have been plenty of rumors about both company's developing such technology. There is no monopoly, its merely doing whats best for developer and gamer companies since consumer only gets it for cheaper from it being used. Smaller companies are shutting down left and right (even bigger companies like THQ), and if you can honestly come out and say "used games had nothing to do w/it" then.. bravo. I mean used games aren't the "sole" problem and nobody is saying that, but used games 100% affect every companies profits just like PC pirating affects PC game developers/games profits.

Used games have always been an issue, but in this day and age (especially w/the introduction of next gen systems where console development costs are going to increase even more) w/how much high profile games cost to make, it's been hurting the industry more and more.

It's not just need in console games, it's PC games, music, movies, ect... everything. So while it will 100% piss lots of people off, I 100% understand where they are coming from and it makes sense why they want to limit used games sales. Now, what's not said since its only been "rumors" so far... is I wouldn't be surprised if they treat used games similar to "online passes" type of thing. Where you can still sell your games and buy used games, but there will be "X" price to get a serial code so that the developers at least get something out of used game sales

It honestly wouldn't bother me much if you can't use used games since I rarely buy used and like to support the devs. And games that I normally trade in are ones that I wasn't sure about getting in the first place, and I usually don't pick those up until they're $10-20. If anything, this will save me money in the long run because I'll have to be more cautious of what I buy, so I'll be waiting for price drops.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It bothers me since if their verification servers ever go down in the future, those games become worthless unless the console got hacked wide open to allow you to crack your way past any authentication methods.

Going to be a fun year also the day PSN/XBLA close off services for PS3/360 with the kind of money folks invested in digital purchases for both.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Going to be a fun year also the day PSN/XBLA close off services for PS3/360 with the kind of money folks invested in digital purchases for both.
    I assume shit will be usable on the next gen system. Sorta like how PSP games play on Vita, except hopefully better support for all games.

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Jefe View Post
    From a business stand point, the devs. are losing a crap load of money thanks to Gamestop. That fucking place is like a cancer of the gaming industry, but everybody knows that. .
    Do car companies that go bust blame the second hand car market? It's a weak excuse.

PS Vita instant games collection currently does a check every month to see if you're still a PS+ member before letting you play the free games. I'm guessing this may be along the lines of how they will perform this used game check...

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Can you not play the free PS+ games if you aren't connected to an internet connection? I'm always connected so I've never checked.

Quote Originally Posted by TacoTaru View Post
    Can you not play the free PS+ games if you aren't connected to an internet connection? I'm always connected so I've never checked.
    It checks once a month. So if you're offline for a month you won't be able to play.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Ah ok.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jefe View Post
    From a business stand point, the devs. are losing a crap load of money thanks to Gamestop. That fucking place is like a cancer of the gaming industry, but everybody knows that. On the other, it's always better to give costumers options. Perhaps changing the way content is delivered would be a better alternative and thus removing the middle man. The devs/pubs get more money, people have options, we all win. Of course, it's easier said than done.
    it's been pointed out numerous times by people in the industry, used games don't actually hurt them that much. you have to realize that used games are used to pay for new games as well. that's a lot of currency that wouldnt otherwise be going into the market to buy things. analysts put the actual hurt at about ~5%. that's not that big of a percent to risk pissing off a bunch of people.

Yeah, I honestly think removing the used game industry will hurt the industry more than it could help. Plenty of people only buy new games because they have store credit laying around or something so they don't have to pay the full $60.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 236 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast